This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry to sound like I'm losing hope, but anybody here prepping for Post-Match Vacancy?
Yes, I'm definitely thinking about it. Particularly, I am wondering if newly funded positions or what kinds of choices might show up in the Post-Match Vacancy. I can imagine some advantages in that it might be more like a "normal" job search. What are your thoughts on the Post-Match? Why are you losing hope with Phase II?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry to sound like I'm losing hope, but anybody here prepping for Post-Match Vacancy?
Don’t lose hope!!! It’s still not over! I’m not too “thrilled” about the sites Ive interviewed with so far but I’d rather settle for APA accredited site in Phase II that’s not the “best fit” than risk not getting an APA site in PMV.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, I'm definitely thinking about it. Particularly, I am wondering if newly funded positions or what kinds of choices might show up in the Post-Match Vacancy. I can imagine some advantages in that it might be more like a "normal" job search. What are your thoughts on the Post-Match? Why are you losing hope with Phase II?
Thanks for asking. Well, I only have 3 sites to hear back from and I haven't received any interview offers as yet.
I feel like I don't know enough about the next phase and I'm wondering how others might be preparing for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for asking. Well, I only have 3 sites to hear back from and I haven't received any interview offers as yet.
I feel like I don't know enough about the next phase and I'm wondering how others might be preparing for it.
I've pretty much decided if I dont match in phase 2, im going to do an extra year. Get a practicum site that is heavy on assessments (my weakness), finish my dissertation, and try again in the fall. I wonder if they'd notice if i used the same essays hahaha

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sorry to hear that. This will work out eventually! I love hearing the success stories from psychologists who didn't match and it would be great to hear post-match success stories. I'm doing my pros and cons between matching in Phase II or Post-match (planning around my family) versus taking another year, which would give everyone more time to figure things out. To deal with Phase II and thinking beyond, I have found it helpful to connect with students in previous cohorts who didn't match in Phase I and also meet with my DCT about my situation.

Ive heard there's pros and cons of the next phase. It goes quickly and unlike the first 2 phases, sites can offer you a position on the spot. I assume goodness of fit is important as usual, not just with prior experiences but with areas of interest or growth. For phase 2, a site told me I was a good fit even though I have never worked with that population. So anything can happen! To prepare, it would probably be helpful to reflect on how your current training and personal characteristics would set you up for success or further your goals at any site, even if it is outside of your comfort zone/competence/main area of interest. I found connecting my background to specific things done at the site was received well by the interviewers at sites that "on paper" I wasn't a good fit with.

I've pretty much decided if I dont match in phase 2, im going to do an extra year. Get a practicum site that is heavy on assessments (my weakness), finish my dissertation, and try again in the fall. I wonder if they'd notice if i used the same essays hahaha
Heh! I so appreciate your humor and your plan!
I wish they didn't have so many restrictions for international students! Things would be a little easier for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I only have two interviews left after today - how is everyone feeling as we start to wrap up Phase II? I know personally I feel drained!

I only have two interviews left after today - how is everyone feeling as we start to wrap up Phase II? I know personally I feel drained!

Same! I have mixed feelings...similar to what others have posted, I’m finding it hard to really gauge fit via extremely brief zoom/Skype/phone interviews. Also, half of my interviews were with APA accredited sites and half a mix of very new non accredited CPA/APA sites. All of the sites are pretty good fits with my training/career goals. But considering the fact that I would like to secure a clinical post doc, apply for licensure and eventually work in a hospital setting, I’m wondering how difficult it might be to accomplish those goals, in particular a post doc. Also, wondering if I should rank the non accredited sites...but I’m sure not doing so will significantly increase my chances of sticking around another year....not the end of the world, but the idea doesn’t give me warm feelings haha anyone else in a similar situation?

I so feel you on recycling AAPI materials lol at the very least, I will keep my theoretical orientations and diversity essays- I doubt my views will significantly change. I will also probably recycle the cover letters I submitted for the sites I plan to reapply too! Lol

Reactions: 2 users

I also have two more interviews and am trying to muster up the energy to get through until Friday night! It will be such a relief submitting the rankings and hoping for the best on 3/25. Regarding PMV, if I end up in that (and for those that are knowingly or are worried about going in there), I think the best thing to do is weigh all the pro's and con's about securing a site there or waiting another year. All I know is that although we have been suffering (and also growing) in many ways since Match Phase I, we have been killing it the whole way through! I don't know you all face to face, but I am so proud of you and you matter in this world. I'll leave you with my favorite criminal minds quote to remind ourselves how resilient we are:

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." ---Kahlil Gibran

Reactions: 10 users
I also have two more interviews and am trying to muster up the energy to get through until Friday night! It will be such a relief submitting the rankings and hoping for the best on 3/25. Regarding PMV, if I end up in that (and for those that are knowingly or are worried about going in there), I think the best thing to do is weigh all the pro's and con's about securing a site there or waiting another year. All I know is that although we have been suffering (and also growing) in many ways since Match Phase I, we have been killing it the whole way through! I don't know you all face to face, but I am so proud of you and you matter in this world. I'll leave you with my favorite criminal minds quote to remind ourselves how resilient we are:

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." ---Kahlil Gibran
I literally have that quote tattooed on my ribcage hahaha. I know at this point i am EXHAUSTED. Ive had ice packs on my eyes, im wearing glasses not contacts, each day im like whhhyyyy cant I just stay in bed and be on vacation?! Doesnt help that my school is on spring break right now, im still hustling and working and writing!

Reactions: 4 users
Question about the Ohio Psychology Internship program—there is a correctional facility track/option. I know the program is accredited, but they’ve never had interns before for that track? Does the accreditation still stand?

Yes. I had an interview there for that track. DM me if you’d like.

Members don't see this ad :)
That gives me some hope! A site responded to my follow-up email explaining that my application will not be reviewed due to my hours-I was short of 10 hours. I guess that's fair and nerve-racking :(

That sounds excessively picky! They did you a favor.

Interview offer from Broughton Hospital this morning! They offer interviews the same day as the notification so be ready lol

Wow that’s sounds crazy! Good luck to you!!!

I had a rather strange telephone interview with Centerstone consortium (in Florida) this morning .... I was wondering if anyone else has interview with them and what they interview was like? Does anyone know past interns from there or can anyone talk to the experience at the site?
I interviewed as well but I use the word interviews loosely. He mainly just gave me time to ask questions and just repeated some interesting comments . I kept wondering if that was a unique convo with me or if that was just being told to everyone lol. I don’t really know much about the site. I wish I did.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that. This will work out eventually! I love hearing the success stories from psychologists who didn't match and it would be great to hear post-match success stories. I'm doing my pros and cons between matching in Phase II or Post-match (planning around my family) versus taking another year, which would give everyone more time to figure things out. To deal with Phase II and thinking beyond, I have found it helpful to connect with students in previous cohorts who didn't match in Phase I and also meet with my DCT about my situation.
I see that you’re planning around your family. I’m having a similar dilemma because of the sites I primarily want (VAs) are out if states and the local sites i’ve interviewed at are all APA accredited but not my most preferred. I know ranking is a personal decision but i’ll take any advice or tips ‍♀️

I feel completely exhausted!!!! Can’t wait to be done!

Same here. I feel completely spent - and like I've been hit by a freight train.

I see that you’re planning around your family. I’m having a similar dilemma because of the sites I primarily want (VAs) are out if states and the local sites i’ve interviewed at are all APA accredited but not my most preferred. I know ranking is a personal decision but i’ll take any advice or tips ‍♀️
You are the expert on you and your family, so I think it is helpful to gather advice and tips, but only you will know what is best for your situation. Like with early parenting, I think it is easy to get swayed and overwhelmed by people trying to help. I'm also interested in VAs at a distance. For me, waiting a year might make things easier and I may have more options because my spouse is currently at the interview stage -- ironically in the VA system -- for a job that I found while researching options near my sites of interest. I won't know the outcome of that until after our ranking date of March 18th. Yesterday, I met with someone who graduated from my program who did an internship 10+ hours away from family and saw them about once a month. The children were high school age and essentially treated the experience like a parent on deployment. There were difficulties adjusting and then reintegrating later; however, on the positive side that builds resilience. I realized that I would not be okay with missing that much time with my family for a pre-doctoral internship (one step in a longer-term career process). My family is a high priority and though I would be willing to be at a distance, I would want to see them at least weekly (on average). I think it is important to do lots of self reflection and processing through your options with your family members to get everyone on the same page of what will work best for all of you as a family unit. If you want to PM me, happy to discuss more.

Same here. I feel completely spent - and like I've been hit by a freight train.
Yes, I have 2 interviews to go and so ready to be done! In total, I will have interviewed with 11 sites by tomorrow. I think I have gone through 20+ vignettes. Though, I'm exhausted by interviewing, this has been a great learning experience!

Reactions: 5 users
I had a rather strange telephone interview with Centerstone consortium (in Florida) this morning .... I was wondering if anyone else has interview with them and what they interview was like? Does anyone know past interns from there or can anyone talk to the experience at the site?

I know someone who is an intern there. I can get in touch with them and see if they'd be willing to talk!

I felt discouraged whenever I hear “good luck” at the end of each interview and sounded like I was not chosen

Reactions: 4 users
I felt discouraged whenever I hear “good luck” at the end of each interview and sounded like I was not chosen
Try not to read too much into that. Most sites (almost all sites) have ended their interviews with me that way, and one of them sent me an email last night notifying me that they are including me on their final rank list. I think TDs genuinely mean it when they say "good luck," especially as it is one of the few things they are allowed to say at the end of an interview. On a related note, do any of you know if it is common for sites to notify applicants if they are or are not being ranked. (Per APPIC policies, they are allowed to notify you of inclusion on their rank list but cannot signal anything in terms of rank order.)

Given how late it is, I would really like to be able to cancel any optimism in my head regarding the remaining sites so that I can move forward with ranking decisions, but it's impossible to know what last-minute events will arise. Has anyone (or your colleagues) yet heard from MMHC, Manhattan Psychiatric Center, or OSUMC?

Try not to read too much into that. Most sites (almost all sites) have ended their interviews with me that way, and one of them sent me an email last night notifying me that they are including me on their final rank list. I think TDs genuinely mean it when they say "good luck," especially as it is one of the few things they are allowed to say at the end of an interview. On a related note, do any of you know if it is common for sites to notify applicants if they are or are not being ranked. (Per APPIC policies, they are allowed to notify you of inclusion on their rank list but cannot signal anything in terms of rank order.)

Silence is the standard. It is far more rare to be told that you're being ranked. Most folks I know didn't hear anything during the process, and neither did I.

Given how late it is, I would really like to be able to cancel any optimism in my head regarding the remaining sites so that I can move forward with ranking decisions, but it's impossible to know what last-minute events will arise. Has anyone (or your colleagues) yet heard from MMHC, Manhattan Psychiatric Center, or OSUMC?
Haven't heard from MMHC either, I've considered reaching out to the TD (and a few other sites no one on here has said they've heard from) just to cross them off my list but I'm hesitant in case it is last minute.

Same! I have mixed feelings...similar to what others have posted, I’m finding it hard to really gauge fit via extremely brief zoom/Skype/phone interviews. Also, half of my interviews were with APA accredited sites and half a mix of very new non accredited CPA/APA sites. All of the sites are pretty good fits with my training/career goals. But considering the fact that I would like to secure a clinical post doc, apply for licensure and eventually work in a hospital setting, I’m wondering how difficult it might be to accomplish those goals, in particular a post doc. Also, wondering if I should rank the non accredited sites...but I’m sure not doing so will significantly increase my chances of sticking around another year....not the end of the world, but the idea doesn’t give me warm feelings haha anyone else in a similar situation?

Non-accredited will limit your career options without question. VAs, hospitals, most of academia, most college counseling sites, etc. will be shut out completely. They will generally toss your application out of your internship wasn't APA accredited because they're very explicit about wanting that experience in their job descriptions. Because your goal is to work in a hospital, I would say unequivocally, don't settle for non-APA, as difficult as the choice might be to not rank non-APA sites and reduce matching chances.
You absolutely cannot go back and "redo" internship to get accredited in any way, so this one choice will affect your career forever. If you were planning to stay in-state and go into community mental health or private practice, maybe you could get away with non-APA sites (still wouldn't recommend it), but absolutely not with hospitals.

Haven't heard from MMHC either, I've considered reaching out to the TD (and a few other sites no one on here has said they've heard from) just to cross them off my list but I'm hesitant in case it is last minute.

I'm with you on that. I have erred on the side of not reaching out for statuses - particularly with that site.

Non-accredited will limit your career options without question. VAs, hospitals, most of academia, most college counseling sites, etc. will be shut out completely. They will generally toss your application out of your internship wasn't APA accredited because they're very explicit about wanting that experience in their job descriptions. Because your goal is to work in a hospital, I would say unequivocally, don't settle for non-APA, as difficult as the choice might be to not rank non-APA sites and reduce matching chances.
You absolutely cannot go back and "redo" internship to get accredited in any way, so this one choice will affect your career forever. If you were planning to stay in-state and go into community mental health or private practice, maybe you could get away with non-APA sites (still wouldn't recommend it), but absolutely not with hospitals.

Exactly. I have been saving all of the post-doc listings this year through the SCN listserv just to maintain a log of the expectations for all those in which I will be interested (all academic medical centers). While I am more focused on research-clinical hybrids, every single one explicitly states requiring the completion of an APA-accredited internship, without exception.

I also have not heard from Manhattan Psychiatric Center and I'm wondering if they are just going into Post-Vacancy because I haven't heard them mentioned at all. My last interview is in an hour and I'd love to just go ahead and certify my rank order.

I also have not heard from Manhattan Psychiatric Center and I'm wondering if they are just going into Post-Vacancy because I haven't heard them mentioned at all. My last interview is in an hour and I'd love to just go ahead and certify my rank order.

Who knows at this point. I wonder if there is some sort of benefit to intentionally going into PMVS - it seems like that would be more of a hassle for sites. Good luck with your interview!

I'm with you on that. I have erred on the side of not reaching out for statuses - particularly with that site.

I've actually had the TD at my institution or one of my recommenders reach out to a site when I was worried about not hearing back and that's been helpful.

Silence is the standard. It is far more rare to be told that you're being ranked. Most folks I know didn't hear anything during the process, and neither did I.

Sites gave me their current interns’ email addresses and encouraged me to email them if I have any questions. Also, sometime TDs told me to email them if I have any questions. I didn’t send anything bc they already answered all my questions. But does this sound like I’m indifferent?

Hoping I can hear some thoughts (or if anyone is in the same boat)—I had interviews with a site that isn’t APA accredited yet. They’ve had their site visit and will find out in the fall if they get accredited. The site would be perfect for my internship and career goals, but the accreditation piece is worrying me. I’ve heard that sites typically get accredited after they have the site visit done, though. I’m still trying to figure out where/if to rank them. Is anyone else in this situation, or know anyone who has been?

Sites gave me their current interns’ email addresses and encouraged me to email them if I have any questions. Also, sometime TDs told me to email them if I have any questions. I didn’t send anything bc they already answered all my questions. But does this sound like I’m indifferent?

No. Not needing to ask follow-up questions isn't interpreted negatively at all, particularly if you consider how busy TD's are right now having to do this in addition to their usual full-time duties, currently supervising trainees, etc. If everyone emailed questions after interviews, they'd be completely overwhelmed!

Hoping I can hear some thoughts (or if anyone is in the same boat)—I had interviews with a site that isn’t APA accredited yet. They’ve had their site visit and will find out in the fall if they get accredited. The site would be perfect for my internship and career goals, but the accreditation piece is worrying me. I’ve heard that sites typically get accredited after they have the site visit done, though. I’m still trying to figure out where/if to rank them. Is anyone else in this situation, or know anyone who has been?

Some discussion of this here - non-apa accredited internships: how much do they REALLY limit future career options?

The general consensus seems to be that it's a risk and you need to weigh if your impression of the site made you think they're likely to pass muster. The TDs here seem to think that APA accreditation is a relatively low bar to clear, though there's no available data I could find on how frequently sites fail to reach accreditation after a site visit. Based on conversations I've had with people who have had some involvement with the process, it seems like most of the time red flags are caught during the self-study and the site visit is more or less to ensure that everything that's provided on paper is accurate.

It sounds like your question is related to the likelihood of accreditation as opposed to the importance of it. I'm certainly not an expert here but I would suspect that, among numerous variables, one of the key components would be the cause for lack of current accreditation. If the site is relatively new and needed to compile outcome data, this would be a good sign compared to other reasons for non-accreditation. This would not guarantee subsequent accreditation but at least it would not be an issue related to a history of negative site reviews. Further, from what I have been told, sites generally have a good idea of what the outcome may be following a visit - anything can happen and it is, irrefutably, a risk, but the site visit often illuminates that which is most likely to follow. Whether or not you would be told specific and accurate information, who knows - but it's worth asking if you have not obtained information related to why they are not currently accredited. If this is a really good site for you, I'd say that it is certainly important to gather that information to prevent losing out on a great fit. That's my opinion on the matter.

This would give me significant pause, if only because you have come such a long way and put in so much work that it seems very ill-advised to take such a big risk at this point in the process. Obviously people do, and a lot of the time it works out. But sometimes it doesn't, and as others have pointed out here, there is no way to rectify it if this happens. I wouldn't do it, but I tend to be on the cautious side.

I've actually had the TD at my institution or one of my recommenders reach out to a site when I was worried about not hearing back and that's been helpful.

I reached out to the 4 sites I hadn’t yet heard from (Chestnut Hill, HI-PIC, Denver Children’s Home and Clifford Beers). The TDs from all but Denver replied saying if I hadn’t already received an invite, that I wasn’t being considered.

It sounds like your question is related to the likelihood of accreditation as opposed to the importance of it. I'm certainly not an expert here but I would suspect that, among numerous variables, one of the key components would be the cause for lack of current accreditation. If the site is relatively new and needed to compile outcome data, this would be a good sign compared to other reasons for non-accreditation. This would not guarantee subsequent accreditation but at least it would not be an issue related to a history of negative site reviews. Further, from what I have been told, sites generally have a good idea of what the outcome may be following a visit - anything can happen and it is, irrefutably, a risk, but the site visit often illuminates that which is most likely to follow. Whether or not you would be told specific and accurate information, who knows - but it's worth asking if you have not obtained information related to why they are not currently accredited. If this is a really good site for you, I'd say that it is certainly important to gather that information to prevent losing out on a great fit. That's my opinion on the matter.
Yes, I was curious about the likelihood of accreditation. These are all great points--thank you! I had tried to ask about the reasons behind why they aren't currently accredited and it seemed as though the program is relatively new. Which makes sense, but obviously ranking a non-accredited site is still very risky. Thanks again for your input!

This would give me significant pause, if only because you have come such a long way and put in so much work that it seems very ill-advised to take such a big risk at this point in the process. Obviously people do, and a lot of the time it works out. But sometimes it doesn't, and as others have pointed out here, there is no way to rectify it if this happens. I wouldn't do it, but I tend to be on the cautious side.
Thanks for your input! This is the only non-accredited site I'm considering, and am quite unfamiliar with the factors that can contribute to likelihood of accreditation--hence posting about it here to get more input on the matter. The uncertainty/lack of guarantee about accreditation is definitely something I will keep considering, along with factors mentioned by others.

How about sending them follow-up emails?

I've considered it. I may reach out to a few tomorrow just to ask if I'm still being considered, even though it feels really late.

I'm in the same boat. Although post-vacancy is a viable option, I think I'd rather take the time to gain more experience and hours to be that much more competitive next year. I don't want to pick something that I don't want and that doesn't fit just because I want to finish my program as quickly as possible. I want it to matter and make a difference in my degree.

I've only had a few interviews during this phase, so I am sitting with so much anxiety right now towards Match Day lol. I know we keep hearing "All it takes is one!" but my anxiety doesn't listen to that haha. Anyone else in this boat and have a different/better view on ranking only a few sites?

Received an email from Missouri Health Sciences Psychology Consortium stating that the Ped Neuro position (UM-DHP) has withdrawn due to losing funding. Did anyone interview for this specific track? I would have to assume that people have, otherwise I wouldn't expect them to believe they'd be ranked with any confidence.

Received an email from Missouri Health Sciences Psychology Consortium stating that the Ped Neuro position (UM-DHP) has withdrawn due to losing funding. Did anyone interview for this specific track? I would have to assume that people have, otherwise I wouldn't expect them to believe they'd be ranked with any confidence.

My understanding is that they actually didn't interview anyone but can't be 100% sure.

My understanding is that they actually didn't interview anyone but can't be 100% sure.

That was my impression, at least based on this thread. It's interesting considering the email stated that they hope the notification will allow for changes in ranking orders prior to deadline. Is this just an insignificant statement or are the chances of being ranked by sites without an interview slightly higher than originally thought?