This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ContentedCat

Reaction score
Welcome everyone, any guidance or insight you can offer is greatly appreciated!

I'm currently in my senior year of undergrad as a B.S. in Psych student. Pursing medicine always seemed like a pipe dream for me—a first generation college student who severely slacked off in high school (mainly due to a turbulent home life). Anyhow, I chose to work for a few years after graduating from H.S. and eventually ended up taking classes at a community college to help me get back on my feet. Thereafter, I transferred to an R1 university and accepted a spot in their honors college program. I chose psych initially to fulfill the simple fascination of wondering how it is people "work", and as I'm certain that most of you guys can relate, I decided recently that what I really want in life is to try and go for a career in medicine. However, I'm on the verge of graduating and don't have most of my pre-reqs taken care of. I'd like to acquire experience in the field so as to gain a better foundation, strengthen my understanding (or lack of) of subjects like chem and physics, find out what really goes into medicine and healing, and to put myself in the best position possible for applying to medical schools later on.

To my knowledge, postbac premed programs seem to be a great pathway as they structure their curriculum around fulfilling everything I had mentioned previously and more. Is this true? They appeal to me for their program opportunities, linkages, and mostly because of their small class sizes (I learn better when I can get to know those around me + having undivided attention when asking for help is crucial).

What do you believe my chances are of being accepted into a post baccalaureate premedical program?

To give you some more context on my academic background, here's the breakdown so far:
  • High School - Started out as a 4.00 student, then declined & finished with a 2.7 + ACT composite score of 17
  • Community College - Associate of Arts, graduated with honors and cGPA of 3.88
  • Honors Society member
  • R1 University - B.S. in Psych w/ University Honors + minor in Public Health (expected grad. date: spring of 2021)
  • Research - Thesis project in the works, as well as two additional project proposals (pending)
  • Science GPA - 3.86 (this is without physics, chemistry, & biochem)
  • Cumulative GPA - 3.72 (I plan on raising this over fall/winter semesters)
Note: I do have 2 W's and 1 N currently on my record.
- W in American Gov.
- WF in Physics I (I came down with the flu, which wiped me out for 3+ weeks. Wasn't able to catch up in class, so I withdrew)
- N in Cell Bio (again-couldn't catch up in class, but tried to stick it out anyway then Covid-19 interrupted semester)

In addition, I had a C, D, D+, and W before in other classes at community college. However, I retook those and received all A's after pulling it together.

With this record, is it worth it for me to even apply to a Post Bac?

I believe I'm a good candidate, but I don't want to come across as naive. I love school, and I love learning, and I enjoy pushing myself. I'm willing to put in the extra effort and additional years of work/$ if it means giving myself the best shot at some day becoming a doctor.

I'm hoping to apply to BM, JHU, UPenn, CU, GC, GW, UMi, and as a backup, NYU since I would have to graduate before applying.

If anyone has advice for me on whether or not I'd make a good fit, how to strengthen my chances, or if you actually think my chances are slim... Which schools you'd recommend, which ones you'd think I'd falter in - ANY GUIDANCE is of value to me.

Feel free to speak on your own personal experiences as well, this will help me to put some things into perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: