Atlantic Bridge 2018 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone going to UCC 5 year program?

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone gets an update from AB regarding Trinity or NUI Galway first round offers or if anyone hears from either of these schools can you please let us know?

Reactions: 3 users
If anyone gets an update from AB regarding Trinity or NUI Galway first round offers or if anyone hears from either of these schools can you please let us know?
I spoke with my rep at AB yesterday. He stated that, as per the application complete email received, these schools will release results around late March and Early April and that I can email him back at that time to get an update on the status of the application (not sure if he's aware it's April 10th...)...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with my rep at AB yesterday. He stated that, as per the application complete email received, these schools will release results around late March and Early April and that I can email him back at that time to get an update on the status of the application (not sure if he's aware it's April 10th...)...

I also spoke with AB yesterday, Robert said end of April/beginning of May...

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe they are not in as good of communication as we might think? Let's just try to stay positive! Sometimes, no news is good news! Just have to sit back and continue to wait... :) :nailbiting:

Johns Hopkins, UPenn (but I think only 1 person can go), may be missing some

These aren't affiliated but people have successfully submitted applications and gotten elective here:
Harvard isn't associated. Its a lottery system where you apply and see if you get it
Mayo clinic (just toss in an application
Cleveland clinic

2. Their just like lectures in the first 2 years. You attend. You have small group learning as well where you present on a specific part of a topic.

4. It is extremely pressed for time. Plan ahead. Most gunners can do around 6 electives abroad throughout med school. It would help if you have connections to get electives outside the normal route to maximize how many electives you can do. You can do certain core rotations abroad (OBGYN, Psych, Internal, and I think one more) during the academic year. In third year, you have 3 months off for the summer so you can arrange to do up to 3 electives while writing USMLE STEP 2 CK, USMLE STEP 2 CS, and NAC. This is probably the most stressful summer and advise you strongly to plan 1 year ahead of time. To give you an idea of what is like:

June - First elective. Don't underestimate how tough electives are. You will be sucking up, last to leave, first to show up, begging for extra things to do to look good.
July - Second elective. While on elective, take time off to write STEP 2 CS before deadline otherwise your score wont be ready for ERAS. Write STEP 2 CK on time before deadline for scores to be reported on time for ERAS.
Aug - Elective, start working on ERAS applications, collecting reference letters which is due in Sept?
Sept - School starts. Return to Canada to do NAC OSCE at assigned date and location.
Oct - US interviews roll out
Nov - CARMs application due.

If someone doesn't match this is the time they usually mess up. Failed CS, bad NAC, late CK. Not sure how things will change since they are replacing the MCCEE with MCCQE1 for Canada in 2020. This means by the time your doing med school you might well be doing QE1 in the same summer because its so similar to step 2 ck than to step 1.

As for USMLES. It depends on the person. The people that scored really high tend to be top of the class to begin with. We tend to score higher than other Irish schools. You dont really get support for USMLE other than a mandatory exam that you have to pass before you can write Step 1.

5. Most people live in Sheare's gate in first year. Its very much overpriced but it makes sense because you don't know anyone there and might not be there physically be there to check out apartments. Campus is very close. <10 minute walk from Sheare's gate, 7 min walk from Dennehy's cross (another popular place). City Center is probably 20 minute walk from campus but there are buses along the way that take you right into town. Public transportation - bikes for rental in certain areas (mainly downtown), lots of buses, bad roads for driving (think the steering wheel is on the right).

This is very useful! But some further questions about these answers. So, just to clarify, are the summer of first year and second year are spent doing electives? Also, from reading most threads it seems that most Canadians write the USMLE and COMLEX exams, according to #4 would I write all these exams in the summer of third year? Is Sheare's gate on campus? Would you recommend on campus living?

Hey! Firstly, congrats on your acceptance!!
Second, do you mind sharing how many LORs you had/what relation they had to you? Also, what types of ECs did you do?
I'm asking because I'm in a similar situation, my GPA is about the same as yours but I have excellent ECs and LORs, as well as a noticeable difference between my grades in first/second year VS third/fourth (I switched programs).
Of course as I'm sitting here waiting for a response for the GEM program i'm thinking about all these things, so it'd be nice to hear from someone in a similar situation.
Definitely! I don't want to give too much away about my identity but if you shoot me a message I'd be happy to provide more details and answer further questions.
As far as I know, we could only give 2 LORS - so I asked a professor who I'd known since second year and currently am completing research with in a work study position as a research assistant. The second was my present employer at a part-time job in a hospital that I've had since first year uni.
As for my ECs: I volunteer heavily on campus (several positions with student governance, lead campus tours for new students, vice president and founder of a student club, volunteer with other student clubs and write for the student newspaper), volunteer in the community at a hospital, at a senior home, and with other causes/organizations. i did a few sports (and have national championship awards) and was a peer tutor. i do research on campus too, as mentioned.
I'm sure you'll get accepted though, just keep faith! have you heard back from all the places you've applied to in Canada? and just out of curiosity what was the program that you switched out of? :)

This is very useful! But some further questions about these answers. So, just to clarify, are the summer of first year and second year are spent doing electives? Also, from reading most threads it seems that most Canadians write the USMLE and COMLEX exams, according to #4 would I write all these exams in the summer of third year? Is Sheare's gate on campus? Would you recommend on campus living?

No problem. Happy to answer any questions.

In order to do official electives in Canada, you must apply through the AFMC. Depending on the elective, they require you to be in your final year which includes the summer at the end of third year.

People do different things during the summer of first year - observership if you can, research back home to make connections, not doing anything, or working. If you can do an unofficial observership then you might be able to make some connections down the road to help you get an elective in third year.

People use the summer of second year to write USMLE Step 1.

Traditionally, the MCCEE is done in March of third year but that will change for you guys as the exam is phased out in 2020 and replaced by the QE1.

Yes, you do complete STEP 2 CS and STEP 2 CK during the summer of third year and NAC OSCE in Sept of 4th year. You will also be doing North American electives at the same time you are preparing for these exams. The reasoning behind this is that STEP 2 CS is only offered in 4 locations in the US so there's a preference to time it with electives and people also want dedicated time to study for STEP 2 CK. Some will write STEP 2 CK the a bit earlier, the same time as third year final exams. You will need to complete both STEP 2 CS and STEP 2 CK by a certain time period in July for your score to be reported on time for ERAS (US match). It can take weeks for the scores to come back.

Sheare's gate is not on campus! Its a 10 minute walk from Brookfield campus. Its a gated complex. Personally, I would not recommend living on campus because people have previously complained about the noise. Most IMGs live in Sheare's gate in first year and will move out in second year. Another option is to move in with existing 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year GEMs that might have an opening in their apartment. You can also try finding an apartment on college road to rent. That will put you on the same road as Brookfield campus (while you will have most have classes in first year), and the bigger library on the main UCC campus. Apartments in Dennehys cross is a 7 min walk from Brookfield, slightly closer than Sheare's gate.

Last edited:
That’s what I’m telling myself

I feel like our "no news is good news" perspectives will only last until someone's news finally breaks the agonizing wait... I honestly just want to hear. It would be great to finally know what the next academic year will hold. :xf::bookworm:

I feel like our "no news is good news" perspectives will only last until someone's news finally breaks the agonizing wait... I honestly just want to hear. It would be great to finally know what the next academic year will hold. :xf::bookworm:
Well of course, lol. Since there’s nothing we can do, I’d just rather have a more positive outlook while we wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know who the emails come from? Like, do the schools send their results to AB, and then AB sends out the offers, or do the offers come directly from the schools? Just trying to see when I should be checking my emails, instead of checking every hour lol.

Congratulations to those with offers, and good luck to the rest! :claps::xf:

Does anyone know who the emails come from? Like, do the schools send their results to AB, and then AB sends out the offers, or do the offers come directly from the schools? Just trying to see when I should be checking my emails, instead of checking every hour lol.

Congratulations to those with offers, and good luck to the rest! :claps::xf:
I was told the schools inform AB and as soon as AB knows, whether regret or offer, AB will contact us.

Thanks! I'll stick to Californian work hours for the next while lol. :corny:
My invite came from AB. It seems that offers come out between 3-5 pm MST... and many towards the end of the week.

I also just got an email invite for Bahrain! Anyone know the style of the interview?
I called the guy responsible for the interview for Bahrain and it's a straight-forward "why did you choose medicine/RCSI Bahrain"

Quick question, when did you all initially apply? Just curious to see if there's a correlation! Appreciate it
I got my application in at the beginning of March. 2 days later got an interview for Limerick which I had today. Hoping it went well! Haven’t heard from UCC, UCD, or RCSI

I got my application in at the beginning of March. 2 days later got an interview for Limerick which I had today. Hoping it went well! Haven’t heard from UCC, UCD, or RCSI

Talk about a quick turnaround! Congrats hopefully it went well! Was it AB that contacted you to inform you of the interview?

Talk about a quick turnaround! Congrats hopefully it went well! Was it AB that contacted you to inform you of the interview?
Thank you! Yes AB contacted me saying UL reviewed my app and wanted an interview. It was not UL directly.

My app was complete late Feb and recieved an UCC acceptance offer in mid-March. No response from UL, RCSI or UCD yet.

does anyone have any experience with being accepted to two schools or has it only been one?

Last edited:
Another work week, another waiting week! Good luck to all, and keep us posted! ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you. Can you tell me what scores you got in your AP testing and congratulations on your acceptance, well done, you will absolutely love Ireland .
When did you do your SATs?
In order words the new or old SATs?
I am thinking the new exam ( 2017)

Still nothing? Oh the anticipation!! Anyone have any news from AB? :help:

I followed up, they still have not received anything from Galway or Trinity. Neither school has sent out anything at this point.

I followed up, they still have not received anything from Galway or Trinity. Neither school has sent out anything at this point.

Did they say if they had anymore news in terms of dates? Or are we sticking to the "mid-April to early-May?"

Got my acceptance for Limerick. Interviewed on Friday and left feeling pretty good. Super thrilled because this is my number 1 choice! Good luck to my fellow interviewees and I can't wait to see you all this fall!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey all
I was wondering if anyone heard back from UCC or UCD for second round offers??

Did they say if they had anymore news in terms of dates? Or are we sticking to the "mid-April to early-May?"
I didn't push the subject, they just said "we are expecting a response soon". I said I would follow up in early May if I don't hear anything.

Hello everyone! I interviewed Saturday in Toronto with Univerity of Limerick GEM program and received an offer via email a couple hours ago! Loved the staff. Super happy! Good luck to everyone!!!! Don’t lose hope! It’s been a long journey full of unexpected twists and turns but today it was all worth it :rofl:

Got my acceptance for Limerick. Interviewed on Friday and left feeling pretty good. Super thrilled because this is my number 1 choice! Good luck to my fellow interviewees and I can't wait to see you all this fall!
I interviewed on Friday as well and received an acceptance! We should exchange info!

Was anyone offered an interview at RCSI-Bahrain and didn’t go?

Got my UL acceptance today! Super stoked! Would love to exchange info with others who also did!

Just received an interview invite for RCSI-MUB!! (For May 4th or 5th)
Does anyone know the major differences between RCSI-MUB and RCSI-Dublin? According to the RCSI website, both schools follow the same curriculum and sound like they are essentially the same program with different locations. But I thought there would be more differences, aside from the location....

Not sure if this was previously discussed on the forum and I missed it, so I apologize if this question is a repeat!