Atlantic Bridge 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an interview invite for UCD GEM entry. I'm so hyped :D

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an II for UCD GEM today. I was actually accepted last year, but wanted to wait one more round for Canadian and US schools. Unfortunately I have not had any luck so far here :( but I am fortunate to have another interview opportunity here!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I received an II for UCD GEM today. I was actually accepted last year, but wanted to wait one more round for Canadian and US schools. Unfortunately I have not had any luck so far here :( but I am fortunate to have another interview opportunity here!
congrats, I'm sure you will get in this year. If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application. I applied UCD GEM too, but haven't heard back yet.

congrats, I'm sure you will get in this year. If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application. I applied UCD GEM too, but haven't heard back yet.
Thank you! I submitted my application in September. I hope you hear from them soon!

What are the chances like or how late do you think you would expect to hear if you submitted your application in January? Wasn't it that if you had your application submitted before Jan 15, you had good chances?

What are the chances like or how late do you think you would expect to hear if you submitted your application in January? Wasn't it that if you had your application submitted before Jan 15, you had good chances?
Wondering this as well.. my application was complete January 4th..

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Will you share stats?
Yea! cGPA (Chemistry major): 3.4 (I also took a semester off during fourth year due to health issues and then took a full course load in fifth year), MCAT 512, extracurriculars: TAing Intro to chemistry, research assistant with two different profs, au pairing abroad and working as a server throughout uni. I didn't have the best GPA but I think my personal statement really beefed up my application :D

Reactions: 1 user
congrats, if you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application?
I submitted early November with everything completed. And I resubmitted my CV with updates early January.

What sort of questions did they ask for the interview? Was it hypothetical situations like med schools in Canada and the States do or something different?

Yea! cGPA (Chemistry major): 3.4 (I also took a semester off during fourth year due to health issues and then took a full course load in fifth year), MCAT 512, extracurriculars: TAing Intro to chemistry, research assistant with two different profs, au pairing abroad and working as a server throughout uni. I didn't have the best GPA but I think my personal statement really beefed up my application :D
Damn, that’s a nice MCAT

Wondering this as well.. my application was complete January 4th..
Atlantic bridge says that Irish Universities review applications on a rolling basis. But I've seen people getting in even after applying really late in the cycle. If you applied by January you are definitely good to go.
I had applied in November and heard back from them in early April (which is kind of late). So I dont think it matters that much.

Has anyone else heard back from 5 or 6 year programs? Seems like all the GEM invites are coming out now but I’m not really sure what the order is

Hi everyone, so for the ones that have received interview invites, what time of the day do they normally send them out?

Reactions: 1 users
What sort of questions did they ask for the interview? Was it hypothetical situations like med schools in Canada and the States do or something different?
Mine was very conversational. There were no hypothetical situations, it was basically just a relaxed “tell me about yourself” type conversation. I was nervous before mine but it ended up not being anything to stress about :)

Mine was very conversational. There were no hypothetical situations, it was basically just a relaxed “tell me about yourself” type conversation. I was nervous before mine but it ended up not being anything to stress about :) PS mine was only for UCD though so can’t speak about other schools.

Has anyone else heard back from 5 or 6 year programs? Seems like all the GEM invites are coming out now but I’m not really sure what the order is
I recieved an interview offer Mid January for UCD 6 year program. Have heard nothing from RCSI or Galway.

February 15th. The interview is only 15 minutes long so I wonder if they are doing secondary interviews as well. Thank you :)
Only 15 minutes?? That seems insanely short...anyone have figures on post-interview acceptance rates?

Only 15 minutes?? That seems insanely short...anyone have figures on post-interview acceptance rates?
My friend is in her first year at RCSI and she told me hers was 15 minutes as well. She said they asked her about what they liked about the teaching style at the university and why she chose Ireland, specifically.

My daughter is in HS in U.S. and wants to become a physician. My wife is a physician, so we know all about the very long road to becoming a physician in the U.S. and are also amazed at how incredibly competitive it has become. I just recently heard about the Atlantic Bridge program. Can anyone answer for sure whether the Irish schools are still accepting HS graduates into 5 year programs? The wording on the Atlantic Bridge website is:

"Five-Year Courses: Directly from High School with specific subjects and scores in the IB Examinations (including chemistry at Higher Level) or with AP examinations in biology, chemistry and either physics or calculus."

But there is a post toward the beginning of the thread indicating that the Irish schools aren't accepting HS grads.

Also, can anyone point me toward data on U.S. residency match rates for U.S. grads of Irish med schools? I found data from the National Residency Match Program related to match rates of U.S. IMGs, but the data lumps all med schools outside U.S. and Canada into the IMG bucket. I'm guessing that schools like Oxford, Cambridge, the Irish schools, etc. have higher match rates than many or most of the other schools in the IMG data, but would like to find some actual data to back that up.

I keep checking my emails every 5 minutes. Hopefully we hear back soon, the wait is awful!!!
Oof me too! It seems from the thread rcsi has sent out a GEM invite to one person on this thread. No word from UL. Rest seem to be UCD; they seem quick. So many regrets On my part for not applying to UCD 😂

Oof me too! It seems from the thread rcsi has sent out a GEM invite to one person on this thread. No word from UL. Rest seem to be UCD; they seem quick. So many regrets On my part for not applying to UCD 😂
yeah lol i believe only 1 person got one from rcsi, and two from UCD! This wait is insaneee!

Ahaha maybe we will get acceptances first so we don't even have to stress about the interviews! But I am going to keep checking my emails every day until I hear something

• Love
Ahaha maybe we will get acceptances first so we don't even have to stress about the interviews! But I am going to keep checking my emails every day until I hear something
Sending you the best Vibes! ❤️ Seriously hope we can all be classmates one day soon!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
My daughter is in HS in U.S. and wants to become a physician. My wife is a physician, so we know all about the very long road to becoming a physician in the U.S. and are also amazed at how incredibly competitive it has become. I just recently heard about the Atlantic Bridge program. Can anyone answer for sure whether the Irish schools are still accepting HS graduates into 5 year programs? The wording on the Atlantic Bridge website is:

"Five-Year Courses: Directly from High School with specific subjects and scores in the IB Examinations (including chemistry at Higher Level) or with AP examinations in biology, chemistry and either physics or calculus."

But there is a post toward the beginning of the thread indicating that the Irish schools aren't accepting HS grads.
Yes, Atlantic bridge accepts HS Graduates into their 5 year programs. Students do have to take specific IB and AP examinations to be considered.

Also, once you fill out the Application Request form, AB guides you on your eligibility.

Yes, Atlantic bridge accepts HS Graduates into their 5 year programs. Students do have to take specific IB and AP examinations to be considered.

Also, once you fill out the Application Request form, AB guides you on your eligibility.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Also, can anyone point me toward data on U.S. residency match rates for U.S. grads of Irish med schools? I found data from the National Residency Match Program related to match rates of U.S. IMGs, but the data lumps all med schools outside U.S. and Canada into the IMG bucket. I'm guessing that schools like Oxford, Cambridge, the Irish schools, etc. have higher match rates than many or most of the other schools in the IMG data, but would like to find some actual data to back that up.
The easiest way to get the match info is to email Atlantic Bridge and request it. They do have the stats. Also, each Irish medical school has its own match stats, which could be requested by emailing the admissions.

Hey Everyone! I was wondering if any of you are also applying to Australia and if so are you leaning more towards Ireland or Australia?

Hey Everyone! I was wondering if any of you are also applying to Australia and if so are you leaning more towards Ireland or Australia?
I’m only applying to the US & Ireland. A lot of the Australian programs have a high minimum MCAT & I’m not taking that damn thing again. Plus most of the programs start in Jan/Feb, and that would leave a weird gap in coming back to the US for residency. Also it’s double the travel time from home for me.

In addition to US MD/DO, I'm also applying to the UQ-Ochsner program. I have a few friends that are current students and love the program, and I like that clinical rotations all happen back in the US. The Jan/Feb start time does leave ~ 6 months off the end of MS4, but I would actually love that time off to travel/chill before starting residency.

I’m only applying to the US & Ireland. A lot of the Australian programs have a high minimum MCAT & I’m not taking that damn thing again. Plus most of the programs start in Jan/Feb, and that would leave a weird gap in coming back to the US for residency. Also it’s double the travel time from home for me.
I've only heard good things about Aussie. I would treat it like a good last resort option if AB doesn't work and you decide not to try it again. The timing is great because if you don't get an offer for AB you can slip these applications in right after.

I've only heard good things about Aussie. I would treat it like a good last resort option if AB doesn't work and you decide not to try it again. The timing is great because if you don't get an offer for AB you can slip these applications in right after.
Are you or anyone else also considering applying to the Carribeans or just Ireland, Canada and Australia? I have looked into applying to St. George's University but It worries me that you can't stay there after to do residency if your unsuccessful getting into Canada or the States.

Are you or anyone else also considering applying to the Carribeans or just Ireland, Canada and Australia? I have looked into applying to St. George's University but It worries me that you can't stay there after to do residency if your unsuccessful getting into Canada or the States.
I've been accepted to Ross and have an upcoming interview with St Georges. I asked my Ross interviewer what happens to the 5% that don't get residencies and he said there is support available to them. Some ppl work for the university as a TA for a year until they can apply to residency again. He also said that he knows that people have been successful on their second time applying.

There's some stuff going on right now with SGU's accreditations so I would be leary about going there until it's sorted. I don't know all the details but apparently, they withdrew from one of their accreditations and so currently, people graduating after 2024 are not eligible to apply for US residencies. THey seem like a pretty reputable school though so I would imagine/hope they have a plan or something in the works so it's not a big deal.

I've been accepted to Ross and have an upcoming interview with St Georges. I asked my Ross interviewer what happens to the 5% that don't get residencies and he said there is support available to them. Some ppl work for the university as a TA for a year until they can apply to residency again. He also said that he knows that people have been successful on their second time applying.

There's some stuff going on right now with SGU's accreditations so I would be leary about going there until it's sorted. I don't know all the details but apparently, they withdrew from one of their accreditations and so currently, people graduating after 2024 are not eligible to apply for US residencies. THey seem like a pretty reputable school though so I would imagine/hope they have a plan or something in the works so it's not a big deal.
On top of the issue of acquiring a US residency (my desired specialty is highly competitive already), I’m worried about displacement from hurricanes. With increased violent weather patterns, I’d be concerned about the safety of living in the Caribbean. I know someone who was a Caribbean medical student, and their campus was basically destroyed in a hurricane. They had to be evacuated by the US military and uproot their life to the UK to go to a school that accepted the refugee students.

I doubt SGU will ever lose accreditation and you are incorrect in assuming that people graduating after 2024 are not eligible to apply for US residencies. Any medical student or graduate, as long as their school meets ECFMG’s CURRENT requirements, may apply for ECFMG Certification before 2024 and fall under ECFMG's current policies. It doesn’t matter when you will graduate – what matters is when you apply for ECFMG Certification. If you apply before 2024, you will not be impacted by the requirement.

To confirm that your medical school meets ECFMG’s current requirements, access the World Directory at www.wdoms.org. Medical schools that meet ECFMG’s requirements will have a note stating this in the schools’ World Directory listing under “Sponsor Notes.” See also this guide on how to confirm that a medical school meets eligibility requirements (pdf).

If you are already enrolled in an acceptable school, you can apply for ECFMG Certification now or anytime before 2024. You cannot take the USMLE exams, however, until you have completed 2 years of medical school. Once you have completed 2 years of medical school, you may begin taking the exams whenever you are ready. If you wish, you can apply before 2024 and not take an exam until after 2024.

www.ecfmg.org/accreditation.

Hi everyone, does anyone know if there are issues with international students completing their internship in Ireland after medical school. I have heard it is competitive and that there are insufficient spots for international students. Thanks

Hi everyone, does anyone know if there are issues with international students completing their internship in Ireland after medical school. I have heard it is competitive and that there are insufficient spots for international students. Thanks
So my understanding is that EU med students who applied through CAO are first in line and yes it’s very hard to get an internship. If one is secured they are in the middle of nowhere( forget Dublin and cork).2020 was the exception due to Covid. But to be honest, I wonder about the quality of the covid internship experiences.. They have a very limited number of openings and of course internationals are at the end of the list.
I have read that some go off to the UK to do their “ foundation programs”but I’m not sure how easy that is without a U.K. passport or Irish passport.