Atlantic Bridge 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've only heard good things about Aussie. I would treat it like a good last resort option if AB doesn't work and you decide not to try it again. The timing is great because if you don't get an offer for AB you can slip these applications in right after.
Hey I was wondering why you would consider going to Ireland instead of Australia. I am currently researching both medical systems and I find that Australia is coming out on top only because of them offering more internships to international schools. What is your take on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I was wondering why you would consider going to Ireland instead of Australia. I am currently researching both medical systems and I find that Australia is coming out on top only because of them offering more internships to international schools. What is your take on this?

IMG_1031.jpeg

Applied to GEM and still haven't heard back. Do we have any idea when we can expect to hear back about IIs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to GEM and still haven't heard back. Do we have any idea when we can expect to hear back about IIs?
The email said mid-March, but people have already heard back. See above

Reactions: 1 user
Are you or anyone else also considering applying to the Carribeans or just Ireland, Canada and Australia? I have looked into applying to St. George's University but It worries me that you can't stay there after to do residency if your unsuccessful getting into Canada or the States.
Not considering the Caribbean. It is my understanding that it is possible to stay in Australia afterwards for training. Don't think that's possible in Ireland.

Hey I was wondering why you would consider going to Ireland instead of Australia. I am currently researching both medical systems and I find that Australia is coming out on top only because of them offering more internships to international schools. What is your take on this
I agree. It seems like Australia is a safer option because if absolutely necessary, you could stay and intern there. the experience would be fantastic. I've only heard good things. Being too far from friends and family kept me back.. It also doesn't help that they run on a different academic calendar.

Not considering the Caribbean. It is my understanding that it is possible to stay in Australia afterwards for training. Don't think that's possible in Ireland.
It’s possible in Ireland, just difficult

Anyone receive more II? Why is it so quiet 😩 this is really driving me crazy

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone receive more II? Why is it so quiet 😩 this is really driving me crazy
same! this is making me go crazy, i wonder how many people applied as well? I applied in january, so maybe thats why its taking a while?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else hear anyting? the thread have been so quiet and feel like not many people have got interview invites at all.

Anyone else hear anyting? the thread have been so quiet and feel like not many people have got interview invites at all.
I emailed Atlantic bridge and they responded with this:
“Interview invites usually are sent until the end of February, and yes first
rounds offers are typically issued around March/April.”

So we still have some time.

• Okay...
  • Wow
Hey all. I am at the point where I am considering Caribbean schools. However, I just learned about this and would much rather study/live in Ireland. I'm very late in their cycle however. How SOL am I right now? Besides this thread and the Bridge website, do you have any other resources/threads that I should read up on?

Thanks everyone. Best of luck to all of you!

Hey all. I am at the point where I am considering Caribbean schools. However, I just learned about this and would much rather study/live in Ireland. I'm very late in their cycle however. How SOL am I right now? Besides this thread and the Bridge website, do you have any other resources/threads that I should read up on?

When I was researching I downloaded the specific school brochures for each med program on their respective sites. Gives you a good idea as to how the courses are laid out, elective arrangements and usmle resources the school may have! Hope this helps

When I was researching I downloaded the specific school brochures for each med program on their respective sites. Gives you a good idea as to how the courses are laid out, elective arrangements and usmle resources the school may have! Hope this helps
Thanks. I’m doing that today. It’s surprising to me how little info there seems to be pertaining to US students going to Ireland. It’s all Caribbean focused. I wish I’d known about this earlier.

Oh well, shall continue to search. Maybe I’ll be lucky enough to study with some of you.

I also applied very late to two of the 4-year GEM AB programs. Submitted my primary application on 1/15 and was told to have all of my supporting documents in by the end of January at the latest. If you're considering applying for entrance this fall, I'd email [email protected] -- they were very responsive and helpful with my questions!

If it were me and I had exhausted applying to US MD & DO (more than one cycle), I'd consider AB and Australian programs before thinking about the Caribbean.

I also applied very late to two of the 4-year GEM AB programs. Submitted my primary application on 1/15 and was told to have all of my supporting documents in by the end of January at the latest. If you're considering applying for entrance this fall, I'd email [email protected] -- they were very responsive and helpful with my questions!

If it were me and I had exhausted applying to US MD & DO (more than one cycle), I'd consider AB and Australian programs before thinking about the Caribbean.

Well, funny thing. I just got accepted DO. I did not expect that to happen. Just as I was getting excited to study in the home of my ancestors. Ireland still sounds cool but I gotta go with this. Thanks to all of you who offered help. This was my third year applying. First after an SMP.

I wish you all of the best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed Atlantic bridge and they responded with this:
“Interview invites usually are sent until the end of February, and yes first
rounds offers are typically issued around March/April.”

So we still have some time.
Is end of February just for first round of interview invites or for all invites?

First round
Whereas I received an email saying that II could be expected starting in mid-March. So there’s a lot of conflicting information that they’re giving out.

Whereas I received an email saying that II could be expected starting in mid-March. So there’s a lot of conflicting information that they’re giving out.
It's possible that end of February is the usual timeline, but COVID has pushed things back? That's certainly been my experience of the US MD & DO apps, comparing last cycle with this cycle.

Hello,

I just decided to apply to Atlantic Bridge, the 5-year programs @ National Uni of Galway, and TCD.
I want to apply to UCD since they said the minimum is 3.08 but I haven't taken the MCAT (see reason below)

here are my stats
US student with Bachelor's degree.
GPA: 2.9 (I know... it's low. :/ My worst semester was my first one, and I brought it up significantly and only got a few C's and many A's and B's from that point onward.) My best year grade pointwise was my sophomore and senior year.
MCAT: signed up for exam multiple times, keeps getting canceled. I live in a COVID-ridden state. That's why I'm applying to Galway and TCD.

extracurriculars are better, though I don't know how much that matters.

Research: over 1100 hours in clinical trials
Shadowing: 500 hours
Volunteering: helped with blood drives for the Red Cross at my college and also was in environmental-based clubs.

What are my chances, truthfully?
I'm assuming this year AB doesn't have many applicants since they keep extending the application deadline. Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Hello,

I just decided to apply to Atlantic Bridge, the 5-year programs @ National Uni of Galway, and TCD.
I want to apply to UCD since they said the minimum is 3.08 but I haven't taken the MCAT (see reason below)

here are my stats
GPA: 2.9 (I know... it's low. :/ My worst semester was my first one, and I brought it up significantly and only got a few C's and many A's and B's from that point onward.) My best year grade pointwise was my sophomore and senior year.
MCAT: signed up for exam multiple times, keeps getting canceled. I live in a COVID-ridden state. That's why I'm applying to Galway and TCD.

Volunteering: helped with blood drives for the Red Cross at my college and also was in environmental-based clubs.

I'm assuming this year AB doesn't have many applicants since they keep extending the application deadline. Any feedback is appreciated. :)
Hey! I don't have an answer to your question (sorry!!), but I was just wondering what they've extended the application deadline to? :)

Hello,

here are my stats

Hello,

Atlantic Bridge extends its deadline every year as they know that some students will get into US and Canada medical schools and they dont want the number of applications to go down.
This is not something new for this year.

Answering your question, TCD does have a minimum GPA that they consider for their 5 year program which is 3.3 GPA. NUIG doesnt have any minimum GPA listed but, the students I know who got in, had higher GPAs. This is also because, NUIG and TCD do not require MCAT and they do not conduct interviews, therefore a students acceptance is heavily focused on their GPA, extra curriculars and personal statement that they submit. (Not to forget, letter of recommendations are extremely important as well).
The good news is that Irish medical schools have a holistic approach to deciding who gets in. So, if you think that your extra curriculars and other parts of application are really strong, you should definitely give it a shot.

Hello,

Atlantic Bridge extends its deadline every year as they know that some students will get into US and Canada medical schools and they dont want the number of applications to go down.
This is not something new for this year.

Answering your question, TCD does have a minimum GPA that they consider for their 5 year program which is 3.3 GPA. NUIG doesnt have any minimum GPA listed but, the students I know who got in, had higher GPAs. This is also because, NUIG and TCD do not require MCAT and they do not conduct interviews, therefore a students acceptance is heavily focused on their GPA, extra curriculars and personal statement that they submit. (Not to forget, letter of recommendations are extremely important as well).
The good news is that Irish medical schools have a holistic approach to deciding who gets in. So, if you think that your extra curriculars and other parts of application are really strong, you should definitely give it a shot.
Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it. I'm going to go ahead and apply and keep my fingers crossed. I'm hoping my personal statement and EC's carry me over. thanks again :)

II today for RCSI GEM! Unbelievably excited. If anyone has any interview tips for this program, feel free to share!

II today for RCSI GEM! Unbelievably excited. If anyone has any interview tips for this program, feel free to share!
Congrats! When did you have your application in? Would you mind sharing your stats?

II for RCSI GEM entry today!
MCAT: 515
GPA: 3.7/4.0
Submitted on November.11th, 2020.
Interview date is early March.

Still waiting to hear back from other schools, good luck to everyone, hope you all hear back something soon as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! When did you have your application in? Would you mind sharing your stats?
Thanks! I submitted my app mid-January but didn't have all of my transcripts in until the beginning of this month. 3.4ish GPA, 515 MCAT, nontraditional career-changer with a lot of clinical experience.

RCSI II (GEM) yesterday too. 513 MCAT, 3.92 GPA. Completed app early Sept.

Thanks! I submitted my app mid-January but didn't have all of my transcripts in until the beginning of this month. 3.4ish GPA, 515 MCAT, nontraditional career-changer with a lot of clinical experience.
Nice. I finished my app in Sept and no word 😢

• Care
Hi everyone, I got a UCD GEM offer today and I am planning on accepting it! If anyone is in the same boat and would like to keep in touch for the next steps, please message me 😁

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone, I got a UCD GEM offer today and I am planning on accepting it! If anyone is in the same boat and would like to keep in touch for the next steps, please message me 😁
Same! Did you find out when the offers were going to be sent?

Same! Did you find out when the offers were going to be sent?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean - for context, I interviewed Monday and received my offer today. Did you receive an offer today?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean - for context, I interviewed Monday and received my offer today. Did you receive an offer today?
Yeah I interviewed today and my interviewer said that they would be sending me an offer.

Did yours take 3 days to deliver?

Also have you heard back from any other school?

Yeah I interviewed today and my interviewer said that they would be sending me an offer.

Did yours take 3 days to deliver?

Also have you heard back from any other school?
Oh I understand now - yes I got the official email today! So it took 2 days. I would be happy to message you for more details but I don’t think your profile has that setting on!

Oh I understand now - yes I got the official email today! So it took 2 days. I would be happy to message you for more details but I don’t think your profile has that setting on!
WOW that is a FAST turnaround.

Congratulations everyone on your interviews and offers!!! Has anyone heard anything from the 5 year programs?

I haven’t heard anything yet 😕 but my application was only officially complete Jan 12th