Atlantic Bridge 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone when 2nd round UCD GEM interview invites start?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
so good to know someone else is in the same situation! I didn't apply to any in the US but I wanted to wait for RCSI (but didnt get an interview in the first round) and TCD. but I guess UCD is my best option now since TCD doesnt have GEM program. I agree going to UCD would be wonderful so I'm going to wait till the webinar and probably commit after that.
Has anyone confirmed if all first round offers from RCSI sent out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes i wondering this as well! Does anyone know how many invites are sent in the second round for UCD?

I received a first-round offer and the due date to accept is March 12th. I reckon they will send out second-round offers according to how many people they get accepting or declining by March 12th. I would expect some movement for the second-round around then.

Anyone happen to know about how long it takes to hear back after an interview with RCSI? I meant to ask, but the interview was so short that I didn't get a chance.

Anyone happen to know about how long it takes to hear back after an interview with RCSI? I meant to ask, but the interview was so short that I didn't get a chance.
Someone previously mentioned that decisions for first round interviews would come by March 12th, I believe.

Hey guys just as an update 😀

RCSI is currently interviewing applicants and if selected for an interview, you will be notified via email.

National University of Ireland, Galway, University College Cork and Trinity College Dublin have not released any offers at this time. First round offers for NUIG, UCC and TCD will likely be released in late-March, early-April.

University of Limerick will begin releasing invitations to interview shortly. First round interview invitations to UL will be released in the coming weeks.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys just as an update 😀

RCSI is currently interviewing applicants and if selected for an interview, you will be notified via email.

National University of Ireland, Galway, University College Cork and Trinity College Dublin have not released any offers at this time. First round offers for NUIG, UCC and TCD will likely be released in late-March, early-April.

University of Limerick will begin releasing invitations to interview shortly. First round interview invitations to UL will be released in the coming weeks.
Hi
Wondering where you got this update from, if you don't mind sharing? Thanks :)

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone get an interview for 5/6 year programs?
I emailed Atlantic bridge for an update, and they said that RCSI and UCD have already released first round offers 🥺. And decisions about second round offers will be made in a month give or take.

just curious is it possible to get interview invitations from multiple schools in the same round?

Hey my dude,
I had my interview on the 2nd and they informed me I would hear back by early next week. I'm sure you would be looking at a similar time period.

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from another school before accepting UCD's offer? Are you guys planning on paying the deposit to keep your spot or decline it and hope other schools accept you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else waiting to hear back from another school before accepting UCD's offer? Are you guys planning on paying the deposit to keep your spot or decline it and hope other schools accept you?
I'm planning on paying the deposit tomorrow after the webinar. what other schools are you waiting to hear back from?

I accepted my offer too, I think by the time I hear back from the other universities, my UCD offer would have expired.

Last edited:
I'm planning on paying the deposit tomorrow after the webinar. what other schools are you waiting to hear back from?
UCC! UCD is my second choice so I'm not sure if it is worth it to pay the deposit just to be safe.

I'm going to accept my offer too, I think by the time I hear back from the other universities, my UCD offer would have expired.
Yea that's what I am thinking. Are you going to end up going there even if other universities get back to you afterwards?

UCC! UCD is my second choice so I'm not sure if it is worth it to pay the deposit just to be safe.
Hey since you are planning on paying the deposit. Do you know how much you will be refunded if you choose to give up your spot and attend another school?

Hey since you are planning on paying the deposit. Do you know how much you will be refunded if you choose to give up your spot and attend another school?
It's non-refundable :( So I am going to wait until March 11th to pay it in case UCC gets back to me before then.

It's non-refundable :( So I am going to wait until March 11th to pay it in case UCC gets back to me before then.
Can I ask why you prefer UCC to UCD? I was under the impression that UCD had more clinical opportunities, etc. and is considered a “more prestigious” program.

Can I ask why you prefer UCC to UCD? I was under the impression that UCD had more clinical opportunities, etc. and is considered a “more prestigious” program.
The tuition is a lot more cheaper ($60,000 CAD less) and the living costs in Cork are less too as Dublin is very expensive. So financially it makes more sense to me. Even though the match rates aren't as good for Cork I do think it might in part be because there are a slightly larger number of students.

Do you know how UCD compares to RCSI/TCD (clinical opportunities etc.)?

The tuition is a lot more cheaper ($60,000 CAD less) and the living costs in Cork are less too as Dublin is very expensive. So financially it makes more sense to me. Even though the match rates aren't as good for Cork I do think it might in part be because there are a slightly larger number of students.
I haven’t been able to find GEM specific tuition on their sites. Where did you get this?

I haven’t been able to find GEM specific tuition on their sites. Where did you get this?
If you go to Frequent Questions (Medicine) – Atlantic Bridge and click "What are the tuition fees?" it should be under there.
"Four-year courses:
University College Cork – 45,000 Euros
University College Dublin – 55,140 Euros
University of Limerick – 47,592 Euros
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland – 57,635 Euros"

Anyone even thinking of NUIG? Way less expensive but don’t know if as good as the others?

Hey y'all- new to this thread and SDN, I recently got some helpful info regarding several of the Atlantic bridge schools. I have gotten interviews from both UCD and RCSI, & an offer from UCD so far. I've been in discussions with counselors regarding the logistics of several of the programs, they’ve referenced me to the prospectus to several which has been super helpful. I have had a bit of trouble getting information throughout this whole process but now that I've consulted some super helpful sources, I would be happy to try and clear up any confusion to the best of my ability. I strongly suggest checking out school resources still!

Btw, I am a US college student looking at entering a 5 year program! I've applied to UCD, RCSI, UCC, and NUIG. Again, happy to help!

Last edited:
Do you know how UCD compares to RCSI/TCD (clinical opportunities etc.)?
Based off of some of the reviews I've read they have good opportunity, however it also is apparently what you make of it. As far as clinical opportunities in Ireland, it appears RCSI is phenomenal. Looking at the curriculums, RCSI appears to get clinically involved quite quickly, and I have heard you tour numerous hospitals throughout Ireland. In regards to UCD, they apparently have some of the better teaching hospitals in the country so there is that benefit too. Getting back to what I was saying about what you can make out of these clinical opportunities, if you were also interested in internships, I have read that both schools require extra work to seek clinical rotations and internships back in the states, so being an IMG, it appears it'll take a bit more proactive work to seek that domestically. I am not too sure about Trinity but I can confidently give you an answer regarding RCSI and UCD.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y'all- new to this thread and SDN, I recently got some super helpful info regarding several of the Atlantic bridge schools. I have gotten interviews from both UCD and RCSI, an offer from UCD and am anticipating RCSI sending an offer my way by next week. I've been in discussions with counselors regarding the logistics of several of the programs. I have had a bit of trouble getting information throughout this whole process but now that I've consulted some super helpful primary sources, I would be happy to share what info I can provide/help anyone with!

Btw, I am a US college student looking at entering a 5 year program! I've applied to UCD, RCSI, UCC, and NUIG. Again, happy to help!
Hi.. I’ve been focusing on the 5 year at NUIG because of cost... any info on that program?

@texhess Thank you for providing your information! Do you mind sharing your gpa and stats please? Also, have you done the mcat exam? I've also applied to the 5 year program schools and I haven't heard anything back so I'm getting worried haha

@texhess Thank you for providing your information! Do you mind sharing your gpa and stats please? Also, have you done the mcat exam? I've also applied to the 5 year program schools and I haven't heard anything back so I'm getting worried haha
You bet! So I am attending a top 50 university in the south and I'm a liberal arts double major with a pre-med certificate. I’ve got like a 3.8 overall gpa, Magna Cum Laude, I’ve got a ton of paid medical research and volunteer service (leadership included) within a major medical center. Seemingly Atlantic bridge as well as the admission committees pay a lot of attention to chemistry based off of the discussions I have had with interviewers. I’ve got a bunch of extra curricular a too - club leadership, Eagle Scout, varsity soccer from high school or as they like to call it across the pond... football.

Aside that I had like a 3.85 in high school, did a bunch of dual credit too. In regards to the MCAT, I haven’t actually taken it as these programs do not require it. Which schools did you apply to? Most of them will be sending letters out next week. Additionally, with the first wave at UCD finishing up, there will be some more spots opened up by the end of next week. Idk your background but I’d imagine you’ll get word back by the 12th of March from a handful of these. Hope this helps! Best of luck!

Last edited:
Hi.. I’ve been focusing on the 5 year at NUIG because of cost... any info on that program?
As far as admissions go, I would conjecture we ought to hear back next week with the first wave. Supposedly UCC and RCSI ought to be sending acceptances out then too. Logistics in regard to the program, it looks like you begin clinical rotations and skills in Phase 3, in years 4-5. Feel free to check out this course outline: Medicine (Surgery and Obstetrics) - NUI Galway

Personally, I am pretty hands on and I enjoy being in the thick of things so the course outlines of the program (ofc with the match-rate amongst other factors) is an important aspect of these schools to me. Just looking at the prospectus of each of these programs is immensely helpful if you haven't reviewed it already.

Location-wise, Galway is a beautiful place, seemingly covered in rolling-hills and a beautiful coastline. This sounds totally cheesy but look up Rick Steves travel guide on YouTube specify that you want to se Galway and it can give you a good feel of what the area is like.

Finally in regard to financials, I know that you can get federal aid for NUIG. A little bit of extra info here but if you're looking at UCC which is close in price to NUIG, UCC appears to not be eligible for Federal Aid but apparently that Ould change come this spring. In the past UCC has been eligible to use fafsa funds apparently.

Aside that, I'd check out the prospectus, you can check out this webpage and the links associated and it ought to be helpful: Medicine (Surgery and Obstetrics) - NUI Galway

Hope this helps! Big decisions ahead!

Last edited:
As far as admissions go, I would conjecture we ought to hear back next week with the first wave. Supposedly UCC and RCSI ought to be sending acceptances out then too. Logistics in regard to the program, it looks like you begin clinical rotations and skills in Phase 3, in years 4-5. Feel free to check out this course outline: Medicine (Surgery and Obstetrics) - NUI Galway

Personally, I am pretty hands on and I enjoy being in the thick of things so the course outlines of the program (ofc with the match-rate amongst other factors) is an important aspect of these schools to me. Just looking at the prospectus of each of these programs is immensely helpful if you haven't reviewed it already.

Location-wise, Galway is a beautiful place, seemingly covered in rolling-hills and a beautiful coastline. This sounds totally cheesy but look up Rick Steves travel guide on YouTube specify that you want to se Galway and it can give you a good feel of what the area is like.

Finally in regard to financials, I know that you can get federal aid for NUIG. A little bit of extra info here but if you're looking at UCC which is close in price to NUIG, UCC appears to not be eligible for Federal Aid -- this is bc they messed up sending info to the IRS last year but they ought to be reinstated to be eligible for federal aid at some point this spring (huzzah). In the past UCC has been eligible to use fafsa funds.

Aside that, I'd check out the prospectus, you can check out this webpage and the links associated and it ought to be helpful: Medicine (Surgery and Obstetrics) - NUI Galway

Hope this helps! Big decisions ahead!
Wow ! Thanks for this info! Your CV is amazing! My bet is that you will have to pick amongst all of them! I’m looking to keep my costs down
( well my family is paying but I think it’s gonna really impact their retirement and I want to pay them back). I’d really love to be at RCSI or UCD but comparative to the costs of Galway... it’s a no brainer. Only thing is I stay up at night worrying that saving money is gonna cost me down the line Getting back to NA or just the quality of education may be an issue at Galway. I guess what freaks me out even more is that no one on this thread is talking about Galway!
That kinda makes me think it’s everyone’s last choice for a reason. AB has not been that helpful on giving info on the relative advantages of each school. I agree .. Galway looks pretty cool and frankly I figure studying is gonna take up most of my time anyway.

Wow ! Thanks for this info! Your CV is amazing! My bet is that you will have to pick amongst all of them! I’m looking to keep my costs down
( well my family is paying but I think it’s gonna really impact their retirement and I want to pay them back). I’d really love to be at RCSI or UCD but comparative to the costs of Galway... it’s a no brainer. Only thing is I stay up at night worrying that saving money is gonna cost me down the line Getting back to NA or just the quality of education may be an issue at Galway. I guess what freaks me out even more is that no one on this thread is talking about Galway!
That kinda makes me think it’s everyone’s last choice for a reason. AB has not been that helpful on giving info on the relative advantages of each school. I agree .. Galway looks pretty cool and frankly I figure studying is gonna take up most of my time anyway.
Frankly, it is an honor to be considered for all of these programs. Atlantic bridge is really phenomenal and the people running it are absolutely fantastic. Outstanding program!
The med schools are all excellent options too, I wish you could try them all lol.
Best of luck in your decision!

Hi! Does someone know the overall timeline of UCD, UCC, and RCSI for the GEM track? In addition, which of those schools require interviews?

[My friend who goes to UCC (GEM) now applied March 30 and heard back in late June.]

Thanks!

Hi! Does someone know the overall timeline of UCD, UCC, and RCSI for the GEM track? In addition, which of those schools require interviews?

[My friend who goes to UCC (GEM) now applied March 30 and heard back in late June.]

Thanks!
Idk the exact details about GEM — someone else might give input on that. I do know that UCD & RCSI require interviews, seemingly not UCC.

Last edited:
does anyone know how many students per year apply to Atlantic Bridge? would be interesting to know considering only around 300 people are admitted into the schools.

Is anyone here also writing their MCAT this cycle?
I put in my application in early January and submitted my reference letters by then too. But my past MCAT score was expired so I'm planning to take it on April 30. I know that's late, but do you guys think I even have a chance to get an II this cycle? I heard that they won't review my app until I get in an updated MCAT score, so I actually have to also submit my personal statement and resume. I applied to the four GEM programs (RSCI, UCD, UCC, and UL).

One of my colleague's brothers went to NUIG and graduated about two years ago. He is doing a residency in psychiatry now in Alberta, and I'm pretty sure most of his classmates matched back as well.

does anyone know how many students per year apply to Atlantic Bridge? would be interesting to know considering only around 300 people are admitted into the schools.
As far as I know, atlantic bridge has an acceptance rate of 40%. So, if 300 people are admitted into schools then AB must receive around 750 applications.

• Wow

Thanks!
University of Limerick, University College Dublin, RCSI and RCSI Bahrain require interviews.

Speaking from last year, the interviews for GEM started in February and the last offers were released till june or july.

University of Limerick, University College Dublin, RCSI and RCSI Bahrain require interviews.

Speaking from last year, the interviews for GEM started in February and the last offers were released till june or july.
My mental health will not last until June or July.

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Hopefully this week, y'all! Best of luck to everybody!

• Care
Has anyone here applied to RCSI Bahrain? Does anyone know someone that goes there?

Just received my RCSI GEM offer today. Hopefully others receive theirs too!

Last edited:
Also received an RCSI GEM offer! Very excited, can't wait to learn more at the webinar.

me too! is there a facebook group for RCSI GEM students?

When do you guys think NUIG decisions will come out? Late march seems really broad