ATSU/SOMA Arizona Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faman17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to know more about this schools reputation or rank, and how well their unorthodox 2nd thru 4th year structure produces a well rounded education. As my understanding is that the CHC system produces spotty results at best without a standardized curriculum, and consequently lower board scores

Members don't see this ad.

It is interesting to me that it is your understanding that this system produces low board scores. Your understanding based on what? Certainly not on their scores.

I'll admit, this is something I was afraid of before the first class took the test. At my interview, however, they quoted a first-time pass rate of 90 percent. I believe this is over the national average for established schools and leagues beyond what would be expected for a first class.

Also, the dean mentioned that there is no reason to believe a clinically-based approach would lead to low scores. If so, we would assume that PBL would yield the same result, and in general it does not.

As for spotty results, I don't know what exactly you're referring to. That's a very vague but negative descriptor. If you look at the school-specific threads you can see some posts by current students - some good and some bad.

Well, here's my 2 cents:

1) The Step I scores for the first class were within ~1-2% of the national averages for COMLEX and USMLE (which are 90 something and 80 something nationally for DOs respectively)

2) Unorthodox? The 2nd yr is the only one that's weird in my opinion b/c lectures are on the internet and there's clinic time. If you like going over lecture material at your own pace with your feet up at Starbucks, you'll like this. If you prefer to sit in a lecture hall 8-5pm and listen to lectures you're going to hate this. Otherwise, 1st yr is basic science and 3rd & 4th are clinical rotations.

3) Shotty CHCs: Well, there are 10 locations and some have progressed more than others in the first year in terms of rotations.The inaugural class has faced some challenges and frustrations. However, the school has made improvements based on our feedback so much that the second year class is relatively happy with the curriculum and has no idea what we're belly-aching about most of the time. The 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th etc. classes will likely have an even greater experience as the curriculum is smoothed out and the relationships grow with our precepting hospitals and clinics over the next few years.

4) Clinically based: The only disadvantage was that we were prepared way beyond what our preceptors expected of us. For example, most physicians don't take pharm until their 2nd year of medical school so preceptors were caught off guard that we knew some pharm already as 2nd years. As the preceptors become more familiar with our capabilities, we will be able to expand our skills further. (Also, most DO schools are clinically as opposed to research-based. Nationally, medical education is moving towards system-based rather than basic science curricula for more integration across the 4yrs).

5) Competitiveness: Older schools tend to draw more students then newer ones.

It's hard to make any judgment on the effectiveness of the curriculum without having graduated a class yet. Boards went well, we'll see how Matches go. Mostly likely many of the negatives you've heard about will not be pertinent by the time you're enrolled.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey GreenShirt, quick question. Who decides where you got for years 2-4? Is it the school? Or you? Or both?

Sorry if this was asked before

Hey GreenShirt, quick question. Who decides where you got for years 2-4? Is it the school? Or you? Or both?

Sorry if this was asked before

We got to rank choices before we applied but subsequent classes have to wait until the first year. I believe it's a semi-match process where you rank your preferences and the school tries it's best to match you with your 1st or 2nd choice.

For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

I have a few questions regarding SOMA since I am really interested in their school.

I am not sure when was their first class to be graduated, was it this past year? this year? If so, I was wondering if anyone knew about their match list.

In terms of 3rd/4th year, how do you guys manage clinical rotations? Do you set them up, or does the CHC faculty assists you with this?

What would be the advantages/disadvantages of the way SOMA's CHC curriculum works compared to other schools?

Thanks

I have a few questions regarding SOMA since I am really interested in their school.

I am not sure when was their first class to be graduated, was it this past year? this year? If so, I was wondering if anyone knew about their match list.

In terms of 3rd/4th year, how do you guys manage clinical rotations? Do you set them up, or does the CHC faculty assists you with this?

What would be the advantages/disadvantages of the way SOMA's CHC curriculum works compared to other schools?

Thanks
This upcoming year will graduate their first class. I dunno about the match list.. my cousin is in that class and they haven't done it yet.

I don't know much about the other stuff, but if you do end up going there, be prepared to travel. A lot.

Btw, have you looked through this thread? It may have some of the information you want buried in there.

Last edited:
What do you mean be prepared to travel a lot bro? For rotations?

What do you mean be prepared to travel a lot bro? For rotations?

My cousin moved from Mesa, AZ to Troy, AL for his second year. During that time he traveled a lot around the area for whatever it is they do. He then moved 200+ miles to north Alabama for his 3rd year rotations. A lot of them required him to drive at least an hour away. He starts his 4th year in August, but will be staying in the same place, however he's going to be gone for 3 or more months doing rotations all over.. but this is like most 4th years I believe due to audition rotations.

Either way, he moved entirely too much for my taste.. and his. I don't believe everyone will have it the way he did, but I'm going to bet a lot of them did. He likes the school and is getting a good education, but he wishes he would have applied earlier (applied to DO schools in jan-feb after being rejected from the MD schools he applied) so he could have stayed around our area. He was waitlisted at DMU and KCOM.

good luck to everyone starting to apply! I am going to be going to be a 1st yr student at ATSU-SOMA in less than a month (moving in just a few weeks to AZ!!) I'd be happy to try and answer some questions about the application process! I found the admissions staff to be very helpful and nice in the process as well, so I wouldn't have any hesitation contacting them if I were you!

As for 3rd/4th yr rotations...As far as I understand it really depends on your CHC location as to how much traveling you will need to do. They will run through the different options for you at both your interview, as well again when you become a student...so you will be briefed several times before you make a decision. For example, Hawaii is a CHC location that has a lot of traveling because you travel from island to island, which is very expensive...but then again you get to spend 3 yrs in Hawaii :) New york, on the other hand, is all in the city, so you would most likely do little traveling besides around the city. It really just depends where you choose. From hearing what some of our current classmates are thinking, some of them seem interested in traveling...so to some people this might be a plus if you move around a lot.

Good luck applying! I would definitely recommend looking more into SOMA! Give it a chance and come to campus for an interview if you get one! SOMA was actually my last choice until I came to campus, met all of the amazing people who work there, saw the beautiful campus, high tech buildings, sim people, and heard about the unique program. I was sold :)

When did you get that?

When were you verified (or "released" actually)?

I got a secondary invite from AT Still Kirksville a week ago. Haven't heard from SOMA though.

Members don't see this ad :)
This school is literally 2 mins from my house so if anyone has any questions about the area, feel free to PM me or ask. I've lived here most of my life just down the street so I know a little about the area :)

Good luck too!!

The KCOM secondary essays are:

What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician?
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

SOMA's secondary questions~

What aspects of the Osteopathic Philosophy had the greatest influence in your decision to seek a career in Osteopathic Medicine?
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less.)
What is your motivation for participating in the activities you have described in the clinical, volunteer and community service section? How have these experiences changed you?
How does your character, qualities, and experiences distinguish your ability and resolve to serve in underprivileged communities?

For the SOMA letters from DO and Prof, do they need to fill out the pdf. form on the secondary website, or can we send out their letters from interfolio?

Thanks!

For the SOMA letters from DO and Prof, do they need to fill out the pdf. form on the secondary website, or can we send out their letters from interfolio?

Thanks!

Interfolio works!

My cousin moved from Mesa, AZ to Troy, AL for his second year. During that time he traveled a lot around the area for whatever it is they do. He then moved 200+ miles to north Alabama for his 3rd year rotations. A lot of them required him to drive at least an hour away. He starts his 4th year in August, but will be staying in the same place, however he's going to be gone for 3 or more months doing rotations all over.. but this is like most 4th years I believe due to audition rotations.

Either way, he moved entirely too much for my taste.. and his. I don't believe everyone will have it the way he did, but I'm going to bet a lot of them did. He likes the school and is getting a good education, but he wishes he would have applied earlier (applied to DO schools in jan-feb after being rejected from the MD schools he applied) so he could have stayed around our area. He was waitlisted at DMU and KCOM.

Sounds like he chose to do the Alabama Medical Education Consortium rotations. Is this the case? I would actually be interested in something like this.

Anyone get an interview invite yet?

Not that I know of.. my file just became complete yesterday. I'm hoping we start hearing from them fairly soon! This is one of my top choice schools, but with a 24 mcat I can't get my hopes high.

got one as well....guess the arizona schools love me lol....my only 2 interviews so far...haven't scheduled a date yet tho....wish i got these at the same time because flights from NY are expensive!

I just got an invite too, did any of you have a problem scheduling a date? the calendar for me is stuck on august 2010 and doesn't have any other options.

I just got an invite too, did any of you have a problem scheduling a date? the calendar for me is stuck on august 2010 and doesn't have any other options.

Same here.

yay interview invite! same problem with the schedule though. but still happy!

yay interview invite! same problem with the schedule though. but still happy!

I was reading the thread from last year and it seems like people had the same problem with the website then. They probably just need to fix it and will have it running soon. congrats !

SOMA is definitely different. From what I have seen, those that really understood this beforehand are for the most part very happy. Those that came because this was the only school that they got into are more of a mixed bag. Some happy/some very unhappy.

So yes, definitely research things out using past forums and like Pink says, the admission staff is very helpful. If you have a question related to a specific CHC campus, contact them and they will set you up with a student at that campus that can answer your question. Any medical school is going to be very difficult, so you definitely want to make it easier on yourself by going somewhere you want to be.

I have a one year old and I was wondering if there are any students with kids on the forum who are at the Hawaii CHC. How often do you have to travel? How do students with kids feel about this school in general with all of the moving involved?

Last edited:
Scheduled mine on 9/17, because it was the only choice. Anyone else on the 17th?

i was wondering what the stats were for those of you getting interviews if you dont mind sharing? i just want to see where i stand for ATSU . thankss :)

Have they always had this social on Thursday? I just don't know what to expect because I spoke to a friend of mine that just started there and she never had one when she interviewed this past cycle and I didn't see anything about a social in the old thread.

Received an interview invite, really excited to go :) Out of curiosity, did everyone schedule on 9/17, 7:45 AM (it was the only option for me)?

is there a reason for the relative lack of enthusiasm for atsu/soma compared to the other schools?

also mine only shows sept 17th as the only date as well and i can't make it because i have my azcom interview that day lol......should i wait for more days to appear or call them?

Is anyone going to the social on Thursday, is it necessary?

Edit: it seems to be required from the wording, just changed my flight to an earlier one.

Last edited:
is there a reason for the relative lack of enthusiasm for atsu/soma compared to the other schools?

also mine only shows sept 17th as the only date as well and i can't make it because i have my azcom interview that day lol......should i wait for more days to appear or call them?

This happened to me too! Looks like we will see each other at the AZCOM interview. Haha.

So I called to ask about more dates today and they said they only interview once a month! The next date is Friday October 8th... You can call and they will schedule you for this date because it won’t be up online for a while. I was kind of mad that they wouldn’t let me come out and do the interview the day before the AZCOM one or at least the Monday after. They didn’t seem to care that I would be having to make two trips out there... Very non accommodating...

This happened to me too! Looks like we will see each other at the AZCOM interview. Haha.

So I called to ask about more dates today and they said they only interview once a month! The next date is Friday October 8th... You can call and they will schedule you for this date because it won’t be up online for a while. I was kind of mad that they wouldn’t let me come out and do the interview the day before the AZCOM one or at least the Monday after. They didn’t seem to care that I would be having to make two trips out there... Very non accommodating...

The reason for this is probably due to the fact that for SOMA the interview cycle really doesn't take off until winter and next spring. Interviews at that time are usually twice a week. Sorry for the inconvenience.
As for questions on the secondary mentioned earlier. KCOM and SOMA have slightly different missions and their questions reflect this fact.

So I called to ask about more dates today and they said they only interview once a month! The next date is Friday October 8th... You can call and they will schedule you for this date because it won't be up online for a while. I was kind of mad that they wouldn't let me come out and do the interview the day before the AZCOM one or at least the Monday after. They didn't seem to care that I would be having to make two trips out there... Very non accommodating...

Nice, will def see you at azcom. i guess ill call up then but i won't be able to make the october date either. ouch but yea two flights out to zona can be expensive!

The reason for this is probably due to the fact that for SOMA the interview cycle really doesn't take off until winter and next spring. Interviews at that time are usually twice a week. Sorry for the inconvenience.
As for questions on the secondary mentioned earlier. KCOM and SOMA have slightly different missions and their questions reflect this fact.

nice, so then interviewing in november shouldn't put me at "too" much of a disadvantage then. thanks for the information

For the clinical service, etc. descriptions, did you guys just use the same description from your AACOMAS app? I felt like mine was already really detailed.

Also for those who have interviews, I was wondering if you submitted a DO recommendation?

For those getting interviews, when we
re your secondaries processed?