ATSU/SOMA Arizona Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted, call admissions and they will tell you your status.

Who did you talk with when you called? And did they say anything about why they havent called us yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I called up the main admissions number and when that went to voicemail there was an alternate number mentioned at the end of the message. They said the letters were only recently signed by the dean, like within the last 24 hours or so. I'm assuming that's why they haven't called yet.

I called up the main admissions number and when that went to voicemail there was an alternate number mentioned at the end of the message. They said the letters were only recently signed by the dean, like within the last 24 hours or so. I'm assuming that's why they haven't called yet.

Thanks! Ive tried calling, but it seems like everyone at the admissions department is gone on a early weekend I guess cause nobody is answering. Ill just have to wait until monday! This weekend is going to be a long one waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all I just got the acceptance call. So they haven't gone home yet. There's still hope for a anxiety-free weekend haha.

Acceptance call as well.!!! Here's to an anxiety free weekend for sure.!!!!!!!!!! Good luck to the rest of you.!! :D

Nice! Congrats, did they say anything else? Like how many? Was it a long call? To the point?

Short, 1-3 mins. Just told us who they were/with, that we were in, and we should get a letter/email with the next steps.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I'm interviewing next month so I was wondering, what's the interview format? Anyone remember some questions they asked?

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I'm interviewing next month so I was wondering, what's the interview format? Anyone remember some questions they asked?

If you check the first couple pages of this thread, I think others have gone into more depth about the interview format. But basically the format is:
1st Day - Short intro. Break up into groups and go on a tour. Then dinner with staff and other interviewees (you can choose who to eat with) where you can ask questions and get to know people. Day 1 lasts only a couple hours.
2nd Day - Break up into same groups. In no particular order: File review with one staff member; pre-req check with one staff member; personal (closed file) interview with two staff members; videos, presentations and talks about CHCs, student groups, financial aid, osteopathic principles and manipulations, and etc; lunch with current students (again you choose who to eat with). Day 2 is long and lasts all day..

As far as questions go, I was asked a lot during my file review. Why this why that? Explain this. It lasted a good 15 minutes. I noticed that the file review/pre-req check for others only lasted a couple minutes.
My personal interview had no particular questions. Just basically tell us some stuff that we have not already read in your file. And, the first year is extremely difficult, so how do you feel you could handle it.? Other interviewees I talked to at the end told me they were asked more direct questions: Why osteopathic medicine, why doctor, why SOMA.? Others had ethical dillemas like what would you do if you knew someone cheated.?

I guess it all depends on who does your file review or interview, and I think a lot of it really depends on who you are. I think they have a general feel for who you are and what your intentions are from what they glean from your experiences, personal statement and secondary essay questions, thus they tailor their questions accordingly. If they are not sure whether you really want to do osteopathic medicine (they think you applied to a million MD and DO schools), they will ask you that direct question- Why D.O. school or why SOMA.? I wasn't asked that particular question because I think they knew I was genuine about it.

My suggestion is to have a general feel for what you want to say if asked a question but do not practice your answers over and over. You will not necessarily have the answer to a question you are asked, and it will definitely not be in the order you had practiced it.
You will most likely be asked if you have any questions at the end. You will learn a lot during your 2-day tour and many of your (pre-planned) questions will already be answered, but make sure you have something to say.! :cool:

When did they call?

I got my call at 6:15pm my time, which is 4:15pm Arizona time. I don't think they had planned on calling anyone today though. So I think next week is when they are going to call the rest and what not. From what I had been told during my call, the dean has been out of the country since the day after the Sept. 16 Interview Dinner Social until recently so hasn't been able to sign the acceptance contracts, and there has only been one admissions staff working as the others were on vacation so she has been slammed with all the work. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal interview was open file, I was asked file specific questions (non confrontational, just about some volunteer/work/etc questions in addition to the usual ethic questions). Note: I actually didn't see my file in their hands, so I assume they read it before interviewing me.

My file review was short and more conversational, but I would imagine it depends on who does the file review and your own record.

umsteveo and guided waves, thanks soo much for your input! It gave me a really good understanding of what to expect on the interview day. I didn't know about the file review and pre-req check so that's good to know. Thanks again! :)

The file review is only done if it's needed (you have questionable grades/mcat/etc). Not everyone does a file review. The pre req was just a one minute thing where I got a sheet of paper saying I took all my pre reqs. :thumbup: Good Luck

So 4 People on here got accepted so far???

How many people are still waiting for a call?? I know I am

I believe the first class is going to graduate in 2011. Any idea when residency matches should be released?

Accepted!! I got the call while on a bachelor party cruise in the bahamas...talk about a good weekend :)

So I'm confused.....has everyone that is accepted from the first group been called back or is admissions going to make acceptance calls all week?!? :confused:

So I'm confused.....has everyone that is accepted from the first group been called back or is admissions going to make acceptance calls all week?!? :confused:

Not to cause any panic but I would assume they have already made the calls. I spoke with the guy yesterday when I got back in the states and he said they sent out the packet of info late on friday. I think they would make the calls before anyone would have a chance to get the packet of info...you can always call and ask them about your status.

Not to cause any panic but I would assume they have already made the calls. I spoke with the guy yesterday when I got back in the states and he said they sent out the packet of info late on friday. I think they would make the calls before anyone would have a chance to get the packet of info...you can always call and ask them about your status.

I am not giving up yet, since there are so many conversations out there about they will call, email and mail your packets, I still have one question what if you are waitlisted? ;)

Got my official acceptance package in the mail :D, mine was sent out on the 20th, so everyone should get it soon :thumbup:

Interview scheduled for 11/5. Excited for next week! Anyone else interviewing that day?

Just got the call....I'm accepted! Interviewed 10/8 for all of you who are waiting for the call. Good luck!

Just got the call....I'm accepted! Interviewed 10/8 for all of you who are waiting for the call. Good luck!

Congratulations! I interviewed as well on 10/8...but no phone call for me yet. :(

I interviewed on 10/8 too. No call yet.

Does anyone know if they call if you are rejected as well? Or do they just mail you a rejection letter.

I dont think they call if rejected, that's why I am so anxious. I guess if I don't hear anything tomorrow, I'm pretty much doomed. :eek:

I dont think they call if rejected, that's why I am so anxious. I guess if I don't hear anything tomorrow, I'm pretty much doomed. :eek:

Oh I see....That is not good for us :(.

But, you should remember (and this is what I am telling myself to be happy I guess) that they interviewed around 50 of us that day. So, tracking down 30 people (lets say 30 out of the 50 get accepted) and giving them their acceptance phone calls could take more than one day.

Yeah, I figured it out. Since each call takes 3 minutes, and ppl chimed in at 2:50 pm MST, and you take 60% acceptance of the 50 or so that interviewed, factor in the 2-3 minutes of possible admin time-wasting in between making phone calls, maybe a potty break of 10 minutes somewhere in there...anyway, that means all calls should have been completed today. :(

Yeah, I figured it out. Since each call takes 3 minutes, and ppl chimed in at 2:50 pm MST, and you take 60% acceptance of the 50 or so that interviewed, factor in the 2-3 minutes of possible admin time-wasting in between making phone calls, maybe a potty break of 10 minutes somewhere in there...anyway, that means all calls should have been completed today. :(

"But you must've known I'd choose that glass, so I clearly cannot choose the wine in front of me!"

"But you must've known I'd choose that glass, so I clearly cannot choose the wine in front of me!"

Ok...that is weird...MEDisinmyblood and I were writing virtually the same post at the same time. WOW! :laugh::luck:

LOL. Well im hoping that potty break was very long and forced them to leave about 5 phone calls for tomorrow.

Oh I see....That is not good for us :(.

But, you should remember (and this is what I am telling myself to be happy I guess) that they interviewed around 50 of us that day. So, tracking down 30 people (lets say 30 out of the 50 get accepted) and giving them their acceptance phone calls could take more than one day.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I highly doubt they will accept 30/50 people... Unless they told you this. There are 10 or 11 (i want to say) interview dates, keep this in mind. If they accepted 30 people at every one this would be ~ 300-330 people accepted...they told us last year they accepted just about twice as many people as there were seats in the class..which would be ~200 total (out of ~4,000 applicants), with no doubt some of these accepted people being pulled off of a wait list of some sort at the last minute to fill spots (they can't have more than 107...there aren't enough spots in CHCs to have anymore..so it has to be pretty close to exact..not sure how they get that to work well).

Also, each year it gets more and more competitive as more and more people discover the awesomeness of our unique program (not to be biased or anything..haha). Each one of us had 40 people to compete with for our one seat. Sorry, i know that isn't what any of you want to hear...

Don't get too upset if for some reason you aren't accepted right away...a lot of my classmates were pulled off the wait list and are now med students like the rest of us. If you do get wait listed i'd recommend keeping your file up to date and making your interest very clear! :)

If you are already in, Congrats!! Welcome to the ATSU family! If I were you, i'd start studying now!! :p

Interviewed 10/8 as well. Got the acceptance call yesterday (Thursday @ about 1:00 pm AZ time).

Interviewed 10/8 as well. Got the acceptance call yesterday (Thursday @ about 1:00 pm AZ time).

Hey! I think I remember you! Congrats! I got my acceptance call yesterday too around 5pm Eastern time. Very excited :)

For those of you who have interviewd:

What is the curricular format? I heard that you go to a community campus in your 2nd year.

Do you have any concerns about not getting academic support?

Eh...there were two "unavailable" numbers left on my phone as missed calls, with no messages left.

It was probably not them right? I mean, they would probably leave a message?

Called the admission office just to confirm that I wasn't accepted. Sure enough, the answer is no. Tearsssss. First rejection hurts. Well, gotta turn negative energy to strong positive one for tmrw interview at westernU. Congrats to those who are accepted!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know what they serve for dinner at the social?

Does anyone know what they serve for dinner at the social?

We had burgers and hot dogs (grilled by current students), chips, cold pasta, desserts and drinks.

For the lunch the next day we had cold sandwiches and subs, chips, cold pastas, and drinks.

We had burgers and hot dogs (grilled by current students), chips, cold pasta, desserts and drinks.

For the lunch the next day we had cold sandwiches and subs, chips, cold pastas, and drinks.
Sounds delicious, im looking forward to this interview hahaha