ATSU/SOMA Arizona Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got wait-listed... how long does it usually take to find out?

Members don't see this ad.

Got wait-listed... how long does it usually take to find out?

Did you learn that you were wait-listed in a letter or a phone call? And did they give you your position on the wait list or tell you which wait-list tier you were on (Low, Medium, High)?

And to answer your question, it depends on the school. I know of one school that says they will take a look at the wait list in December and another that says they will look at them in April or so.

Hi guys...I have a quick question. I have an interview at SOMA this Friday. Im currently a first year podiatry student and was wondering if I should mention this when I am being interviewed. Podiatry was my backup ans after I didn't get any acceptances to DO schools I applied to podiart school and got in. I've always wanted to become a physician so I applied again this year because I didn't want to give up on my dream without trying at least one more time. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So does anyone know anything about the "group event" that occurs during the interview day.

Hi guys...I have a quick question. I have an interview at SOMA this Friday. Im currently a first year podiatry student and was wondering if I should mention this when I am being interviewed. Podiatry was my backup ans after I didn't get any acceptances to DO schools I applied to podiart school and got in. I've always wanted to become a physician so I applied again this year because I didn't want to give up on my dream without trying at least one more time. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Assuming you are doing well... I think that this would be a possitive. It shows your commitment to DO. It shows you can handle the hard classes (the classes are the same right?). I don't see how it could be bad. They understand that some of their applicants apply multiple times. If you so dedicated to conventional medicine (DO/MD)... why no go Caribbean?

WooHoo! Getting excited for the interview tomorrow :D I really hope it goes well, because after the Social I am loving the way that this school works! Good Luck to all of you!

Wow, this is one of the most quiet threads on SDN. Is no one interested in this school? If not, I'll gladly go anyway :)

Assuming you are doing well... I think that this would be a possitive. It shows your commitment to DO. It shows you can handle the hard classes (the classes are the same right?). I don't see how it could be bad. They understand that some of their applicants apply multiple times. If you so dedicated to conventional medicine (DO/MD)... why no go Caribbean?

What.?? lmao. :laugh:

Wow, this is one of the most quiet threads on SDN. Is no one interested in this school? If not, I'll gladly go anyway :)

It's becuase they put my file on hold, that's why. lol

Is anyone who has been interviewed willing to share more about the CHCs? i.e. When are students assigned? How much input do the students get to have about their assignment?
Thx.

Does anyone remember if a macbook pro is an acceptable computer for next year? I know we don't need their tablets, but I wasn't sure about macs. Any thoughs?!

Also, anyone who plans on attending next year, do you have any ideas on which CHC you're looking into?

Is anyone who has been interviewed willing to share more about the CHCs? i.e. When are students assigned? How much input do the students get to have about their assignment?
Thx.

My interview is a month away, however I just sat-in at a community campus in the Seattle area today (Keep in mind that every CHC is different, depending on the partnership that SOMA has made with community practitioners/educators)

This particular AT STILL - SOMA branch is in an office complex, which also headquarters the partnered clinic network. The space is very well done for the ~ 10 MS-2's who utilize it. The framework for MS-2's = 4-8 hours of weekly clinic time, 3 meetings/week with "campus facilitators", and satellite lectures to fully saturate the rest of your time.

I sat in on one of the 3 weekly sessions with facilitators (2 FMPs), and a guest ER doc. The first hour was devoted to an open discussion of everyone's clinical experiences during the week. This was followed by case presentations by 3 MS-2's, then a few educational "clinical presentation" group learning.

The way I see it, is that you compromise the traditional didactic 2nd year for early exposure -- a sort of hybrid clinical/curricular year. The ADDED BENEFIT is the model of teaching. It is not exactly PBL, but "clinical presentation" format (PM me for details about this model). This teaching format, along with regular clinic time as an MS-2, prepares students extremely well to be clinicians as they enter their 3rd year. I really buy it, but like any new school (SOMA: 3+ years), there are kinks to work out with clinical rotations, solid reputations with residency programs, etc.

The facilitators made a convincing argument for the quality of clinical education though; the majority of educators in the community campuses are enthusiastic, UNPAID practitioners, who really want to teach.

This is a really frame-breaking approach to medical education, with its pros and its cons. Personally, I am in a bind in being gravitated to this local, alternative approach, but lucky enough to have offers from established programs -- Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone remember if a macbook pro is an acceptable computer for next year? I know we don't need their tablets, but I wasn't sure about macs. Any thoughs?!

Also, anyone who plans on attending next year, do you have any ideas on which CHC you're looking into?

Pretty sure 1/2 the class have macs. :) Our class was the first that got free from the tablet regulation. Some people really like the tablet with the class format, but I love my mac.

Once you go mac you never go back. :)

I wonder if you could get an ipad? Would this be a bad idea? I just don't imagine typing alot. I would get a desktop computer at home for typing stuff up.

I started a fb group for class of 2015. The group is a little dif cuse fb changed their group application but please join anyways:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_121790761210697

You could get an ipad for note taking, but you have to have a laptop for tests...ALL of our tests are on our laptops. You can use a different computer than the "mandated" one, but you just have to sign a waver saying you understand that your laptop isn't one of the ones the school picked out. You have plenty of loan money, i say get a nice computer...couldn't imagine my life w/ out mine! (especially since all of the lectures are presented as powerpoints and you can also watch lectures online via echo, you use it to take tests, and for many programs we use all of the time..your computer= your life. Mine is on all day, every day)

Also, you get free wireless printing at school..hence the laptop...there are very few comps provided by the school for your use..and they are in the lib..and not super nice. They expect that everyone has a laptop, so there is no need for computer labs.

You could get an ipad for note taking, but you have to have a laptop for tests...ALL of our tests are on our laptops. You can use a different computer than the "mandated" one, but you just have to sign a waver saying you understand that your laptop isn't one of the ones the school picked out. You have plenty of loan money, i say get a nice computer...couldn't imagine my life w/ out mine! (especially since all of the lectures are presented as powerpoints and you can also watch lectures online via echo, you use it to take tests, and for many programs we use all of the time..your computer= your life. Mine is on all day, every day)

Also, you get free wireless printing at school..hence the laptop...there are very few comps provided by the school for your use..and they are in the lib..and not super nice. They expect that everyone has a laptop, so there is no need for computer labs.

So do you happen to have a mac? And you havent had any compatibility problems? I'm looking into getting a macbook pro this spring.. Thanks so much for all your info!

Does anyone remember when they said we could call for our results? I interviewed 11-5 and the wait is killing me.

I have already gotten acceptance emails from other interviews that I have had THIS PAST WEEK.

I recall they said it was either 3 or 4 weeks from that day. What day is everyone else thinking of calling in? I need this result ASAP to make my decision everywhere else. I don't understand why they take so long compared to everywhere else I have interviewed and really hope it is not indicative of the way they manage everything once you're in.

Does anyone remember when they said we could call for our results? I interviewed 11-5 and the wait is killing me.

I have already gotten acceptance emails from other interviews that I have had THIS PAST WEEK.

I recall they said it was either 3 or 4 weeks from that day. What day is everyone else thinking of calling in? I need this result ASAP to make my decision everywhere else. I don't understand why they take so long compared to everywhere else I have interviewed and really hope it is not indicative of the way they manage everything once you're in.

I am in the exact same position! I interviewed 11/5/10 and still no word...do they email acceptances?!

My interview is a month away, however I just sat-in at a community campus in the Seattle area today (Keep in mind that every CHC is different, depending on the partnership that SOMA has made with community practitioners/educators)

This particular AT STILL - SOMA branch is in an office complex, which also headquarters the partnered clinic network. The space is very well done for the ~ 10 MS-2's who utilize it. The framework for MS-2's = 4-8 hours of weekly clinic time, 3 meetings/week with "campus facilitators", and satellite lectures to fully saturate the rest of your time.

I sat in on one of the 3 weekly sessions with facilitators (2 FMPs), and a guest ER doc. The first hour was devoted to an open discussion of everyone's clinical experiences during the week. This was followed by case presentations by 3 MS-2's, then a few educational "clinical presentation" group learning.

The way I see it, is that you compromise the traditional didactic 2nd year for early exposure -- a sort of hybrid clinical/curricular year. The ADDED BENEFIT is the model of teaching. It is not exactly PBL, but "clinical presentation" format (PM me for details about this model). This teaching format, along with regular clinic time as an MS-2, prepares students extremely well to be clinicians as they enter their 3rd year. I really buy it, but like any new school (SOMA: 3+ years), there are kinks to work out with clinical rotations, solid reputations with residency programs, etc.

The facilitators made a convincing argument for the quality of clinical education though; the majority of educators in the community campuses are enthusiastic, UNPAID practitioners, who really want to teach.

This is a really frame-breaking approach to medical education, with its pros and its cons. Personally, I am in a bind in being gravitated to this local, alternative approach, but lucky enough to have offers from established programs -- Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you for posting this! You are lucky to have gotten insight to how they work before your interview. :) Who did you contact to do that? Did the students have anything to say about how much input they got to have about where they are transferred?

Thank you for posting this! You are lucky to have gotten insight to how they work before your interview. :) Who did you contact to do that? Did the students have anything to say about how much input they got to have about where they are transferred?

I was wondering the same. I will be attending if I don't get into Western U, and have been looking heavily into the Tucson CHC. I do have some family ties there, but I'm not sure how guarunteed anyone is to land their 1st or 2nd choice spot.

Has anyone who took the September MCAT received an interview invite yet??

1) Is it fine to shadow an MD or is it preferable to shadow a DO?

2) Also what volunteer, clinical experience did you guys do?

3) Did you guys work as anything in the field beforehand (technician, CNA, etc?)

Has any one that interviewed 11/5 heard back from ATSU-SOMA?

Has any one that interviewed 11/5 heard back from ATSU-SOMA?

Nope not yet... You almost gave me a heart attack when I saw that someone posted. I thought someone had received a call and I didn't. Oh man the waiting is killing me! Lol

1) Is it fine to shadow an MD or is it preferable to shadow a DO?

2) Also what volunteer, clinical experience did you guys do?

3) Did you guys work as anything in the field beforehand (technician, CNA, etc?)

1) I'm not sure as to the specifics of SOMA, but IMHO I would find a DO (best case scenario, one who practices OMM) and shadow him/her to demonstrate an interest in the osteopathic field. It is an amazing experience to actually witness it first-hand.

2) I have been volunteering with a hospital in my area for over 1 1/2 years, with only ~400 hrs. But its a good way of exposing yourself to the different specialties that you're interested in. And if you find a teaching hospital you might also be able to sign up to be witness to surgeries. I have been able to see stent placements, an ablation, chest tube placement, CABG, and a full kidney transplant. SOOO COOL!

3) I have also maintained my college job as an EMT, and have been working for 4 years so far. It's a good way to hone your bedside manner, and test yourself in emergency situations.

Is it too late to submit a secondary for SOMA? I submitted all of mine back in early September and forgot to submit ATSU-SOMA...

Thanks

I don't believe it's too late - the school doesn't seem to process applications etc all that quickly though...however, things could pick up in the new year!

For those of you who went to the social event the night before the interview, what did you wear? Like dress pants and a shirt? With or without tie?

For those of you who went to the social event the night before the interview, what did you wear? Like dress pants and a shirt? With or without tie?

I wore exactly what you were thinking about wearing, dress pants, a nice button up shirt, and dress shoes. The social isn't supposed to be formal so nix the tie idea.

I wore exactly what you were thinking about wearing, dress pants, a nice button up shirt, and dress shoes. The social isn't supposed to be formal so nix the tie idea.

For those of you who interviewed on 11/5, have any of you heard anything from admissions? Do you guys think the decision has been delayed because of Thanksgiving last week?

...seeing as most of the calls to those who've been accepted were made on Fridays, do you think that they will wait til this fri? It's been a long time since the interview!

Hey everyone - I just emailed Amy Stradling to relinquish my interview spot for Dec. 10th, if anyone wants to snag it up.

Good luck with the applications!

For those of you who interviewed on 11/5, have any of you heard anything from admissions? Do you guys think the decision has been delayed because of Thanksgiving last week?

...seeing as most of the calls to those who've been accepted were made on Fridays, do you think that they will wait til this fri? It's been a long time since the interview!

I havent heard anything either...I think they said 3-4 weeks from the interview so I guess they have until Dec 5th so maybe calls will go out on Friday!

Accepted to SOMA today also!! Interviewed 11/5 too.

Can anybody recommend some good apartment complexes to check out near the med campus?

hi all! I know I am later in the application cycle than most of you so you'd probably be able to answer this question.

In the email inviting me to submit the supplemental, no where does it mention that the DO/MD evaluation must come from someone you have shadowed for 20 hours or more.

This is what is in the email: Two letters of evaluation are required to complete your application for admission: an official letter of evaluation from your premedical advisory committee and a letter from a physician not related to you.

However, in the actual supplemental, it states: Physician (D.O. or M.D.) whom you have shadowed for 20+ hours (prefer Primary Care).

Well, I have only shadowed a D.O. for about 10 hours and have no way to gain more hours at this time.

Is this a requirement?

I am going to call the school tomorrow but wanted to know what you guys thought.

I have a one year old and I was wondering if there are any students with kids on the forum who are at the Hawaii CHC. How often do you have to travel? How do students with kids feel about this school in general with all of the moving involved?

My brother is a third year at the Portland CHC and they try to cater to his family of two kids and not move him around as much as those who are single or want to go different places. Some people love being able to see Alaska and work on small rural islands etc. He only has two rotations that are away from his house and with any medical school there is traveling for rotations. That's a part of medical school and residency etc. Traveling is dependent on the CHC you go to as well. But you are seeing patients regularly your second year in the clinic so very early clinical exposure and in smaller town you learn more medicine that is based on knowledge instead of expensive tests. Plus at some of the larger hospitals in rotations at medical schools and teaching hospitals you are looking through the shoulders of five or six people to see a patient (students, residents, interns, etc.) In the smaller communities and CHC campuses you are seeing patients on your own with a supervising doc.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think it is a requirement. I did not have twenty hours when I applied last year and was accepted. But it is always best to get letters from people who know you well or your qualities. You can type up a letter of your achievements etc. to give to someone who is going to write you a letter to give them a better idea. It is more to make sure you have the experience of seeing what a doctor does and know for sure that is what you want to do. Medical school is hard and being a doctor is not as glorious as it may appear. They don't want you to get half done and realize its not what you expected or want. sometimes that job greeting people at Walmart seems pretty good compared to the stress and commitment of medical school. But then you make a difference in a patients life or hear an amazing story of human compassion and remember why you chose such a profession all over again.

Anyone who was recently accepted receive their "package" in the mail?

Is anyone interviewing this Friday (Dec. 10th)?