AVC Applicants c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've heard it's been around 50 the past couple of years, for 16-18? spots. I'm not aware when it was any less. And at least one person deffered from last year, which means less.
Hm I was thinking more applied. For some reason I thought the number was up above 100. maybe I got it mixed up with the international app numbers.

Ya last year NS number was 59 I see.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard it's been around 50 the past couple of years, for 16-18? spots. I'm not aware when it was any less. And at least one person deffered from last year, which means less.

I was told at the information session that 3 people from NS deferred from last year!!! He said it is a hard year to be applying from NS...:( so it leaves only 13/16 spots left.

Members don't see this ad :)
FFS. Looks like I'll be taking the year off and working at the call center.

Is this information on AVC's webpage? I'd like to look at the numbers :)
Nah they aren't published directly by AVC, and I don't know where to find the numbers for prior years (maybe a search of this forum).
I stole the 2010 numbers from the NSAC Pre-vet facebook group page, and didn't see the international app numbers

applied for 2010 DVM program:
NL - 7
PEI - 19
NB - 46
NS - 59

Aw don't sweat it. There's probably 1-3 ppl who defer most years for NS, so it may cancel out through waitlistees getting in

But don't they only interview double the number of people they accept? I don't even think I'll have a chance to rewrite my GREs. Even though I'm doing pretty well in my courses now, I don't know if it will be enough of a boost to get me an interview. We'll see!

If my grades are bad enough that I don't get an interview... well, I can't afford to go back and take more undergrad courses... I'm going to sit down with a prof of mine and figure something out. I refuse to take a year off, live with my folks and work a minimum wage job. I'd go batty.

I refuse to take a year off, live with my folks and work a minimum wage job. I'd go batty.

This is my current situation and while you will definitely go a little crazy, you will also be that much closer to your dream job! That's my perspective, anyway.

But if it's my grades keeping me from getting me into vet school, I'd have to wait a year, then take more courses, then apply... and the thought of that is a little sad :(

must... think... positive!

Hi Everyone!!
24 year old Nova Scotian applicant here, first time applying and new to SDN! I am very excited/nervous to see how everything plays out over the following months and I look foward to freaking out with all of you :)

I look foward to freaking out with all of you :)

Yay for freaking out! I thankfully haven't started having "The Nightmares" yet, but they'll come soon!

Welcome to the forum!

Breathe, guys, breathe! If you use up all your freaking out now you won't have any left for interview day! :laugh:

Welcome, Happycats! Love your avatar.

Members don't see this ad :)
D'oh. I forgot to put on my app that I did necropsies (fish, eel, and owl) in school. That would have counted, right?

It was only 6 hours, but darn! :p

D'oh. I forgot to put on my app that I did necropsies (fish, eel, and owl) in school. That would have counted, right?

It was only 6 hours, but darn! :p

I included necropsies in my experience descriptions just because they were always very interactive and I learned a ton (and loved them!) I'm not sure if it really counts on its own, but maybe so. I wouldn't sweat the 6hrs ;)

Anyway, I sent my supplemental in Oct 30th and haven't heard back about it having been received. I know they extended the due date to Nov 12, so I'm sure they're flooded in supplementals right now. Do I email or just chill? I don't want to be the umpteenth person to email Sharon King about "OMG DID YOU GET MY APP?!!?" I got one for my VMCAS, though. Just trying to relax, since it seems like FOREVER until they make any decisions.

Anyway, I sent my supplemental in Oct 30th and haven't heard back about it having been received. I know they extended the due date to Nov 12, so I'm sure they're flooded in supplementals right now. Do I email or just chill? I don't want to be the umpteenth person to email Sharon King about "OMG DID YOU GET MY APP?!!?" I got one for my VMCAS, though. Just trying to relax, since it seems like FOREVER until they make any decisions.

Hm, I don't know. I sent my application on October 16th, and got a confirmation email on Oct 21st. I think I might shoot off an email to them. But I'm the obsessive type. :laugh:

Hm, I don't know. I sent my application on October 16th, and got a confirmation email on Oct 21st. I think I might shoot off an email to them. But I'm the obsessive type. :laugh:

I think I'll send the email on Monday, since this Saturday will be officially three weeks. I'm sure they're just swamped but I'd rather ask now and maybe annoy someone than wondering why I haven't heard anything in April :rolleyes:

Any reason why they extended the deadline?

I was told that their US apps were down this year and just so they didn't confuse anyone they extended it for everyone.

I emailed Jack about 4 days after I sent mine and he had confirmed that it was recieved. He said it would take about 14 business days to start going through them and ensuring that I'm not missing anything. So, I'm not expecting an official confirmation until the end of the month.

Dumb question, but if I got a phone call because I forgot to include my high school name and year of graduation (durr..), should I still be expecting an email regarding the completeness of my application? I'd assume that means that was all I was missing, but you never know...at least I know they have my application!

Dumb question, but if I got a phone call because I forgot to include my high school name and year of graduation (durr..), should I still be expecting an email regarding the completeness of my application? I'd assume that means that was all I was missing, but you never know...at least I know they have my application!
I got both last year (since I also forgot to include my high school and year of graduation). A few days after the call, I got an email saying that everything was in order.

I got both last year (since I also forgot to include my high school and year of graduation). A few days after the call, I got an email saying that everything was in order.

hmm, two weeks later no email....:(

So I emailed Sharon King about my supplemental. She said she's received it but that she needs a list of my current semester courses, since they are not listed on my transcript. I'm not really sure how to go about getting this, since the courses won't be on my transcript until the semester is completed in a couple of weeks.

I'm thinking of just replying and including the courses I'm registered for with course descriptions included, since I don't really see another way to have my school send my current courses? Any thoughts? Thanks :)

You can ask them if they'll accept that.

Or you can ask student services if they can compile a course list for you. I asked student services if my current courses were already included on my transcript and they are.

You can ask them if they'll accept that.

Or you can ask student services if they can compile a course list for you. I asked student services if my current courses were already included on my transcript and they are.

I sent her an email asking if she'd prefer I make a list of courses on my own (with course descriptions from our course catalog) or if she'd like for me to wait to send when grades are up. I'm not really sure about a student services at my school (maybe its the same as the office of the registrar?) but I wasn't able to find anything immediately online. If she wants the course list now, from the school, maybe I'll just call the registrar's office and ask. Thanks for the suggestion :)

This week is my last week of classes before exams. Yay.

Then I have religion on the 7th, human anatomy and physiology on the 8th, invertebrate zoology on the 9th, and biochemistry on the 10th :scared:

Just thought I would check in and ask you how you guys were doing and what you've been up to :thumbup:

Note to self... send GRE scores. I keep forgetting. D'oh.

If I make it alive through the next week, I'm sitting pretty.

I have...

Diversity of Life lab exam on the 2nd
Microscopy project/presentation on the 2nd
Cell biology lab exam on the 6th
Diversity of Life test on the 6th
Environmental ecology paper on the 7th
Microscopy final on the 7th

Then it's easy after that! Classes end on the 7th for us.
Animal behaviour final on the 14th
Cell biology final on the 15th
Environmental ecology final on the 18th.

Your classes end on the 7th? Either the boyfriend is skipping (he's coming up here the 3rd) or his program ends earlier :p

I'm also toying with the idea of taking a year off if I get accepted. I applied for FSWEP (government jobs)... and if I get any offer, I am betting I will have to commit to the job before I get into vet school. I'd rather take a year-long job than take a summer job and be struggling to find work if I don't get accepted.

Just a thought... I'm really really trying to avoid being stuck at home next year if things don't work out.

Also, I'm poor... it'll be nice to get rid of some of my debt before going to vet school.

Today: 13 page paper due for Technical Writing, Developmental Biology lab practical
Tomorrow: Herbarium Journal due, Ecology Lab Practical
Thursday: Zoology Lab
Friday & Saturday: Work
Sunday: Pretend like I have time to relax
Monday: Work
Tuesday: Ecology Final, Developmental Final, Technical Writing Final

Then I'm done

I understand about not wanting to be at home even if you don't get in. If I don't go to vet school, I'm moving to New England.

Your classes end on the 7th? Either the boyfriend is skipping (he's coming up here the 3rd) or his program ends earlier :p

I would lean toward skipping. :laugh: I think all of Dal ends on the 7th, at least according to the registrar's page. It could be that his profs are using the 6th and the 7th for review days, maybe?

Maybe. He's not the skipping type lol.

This may sound weird, but it's kind of comforting to know that I'm not the only one with a tough couple of weeks ahead of me :p

No. Definitely not alone. Not in the slightest. It's good for me to be here too. Two of my closest friends are part-time students in their fifth years, so they seem to have so much more free time than I do. SDN is refreshing.

I'm only in three actual classes this semester, and I have my first exam next Wednesday and two on the Wednesday after next.

Sounds good, eh? But the catch is, I need to write my Honours thesis in December, because I have six courses (one being Biochem II) next semester and I will not have time for it then. I was supposed to write it throughout this semester, but I've been procrastinating. I do have over 2000 words on it so far, though. I think I can do it!

My proposal was 2,700 words including references. It's 9 pages not including references and title page. My labmate's proposal was 19 pages. I totally feel your pain.

But the catch is, I need to write my Honours thesis in December, because I have six courses (one being Biochem II) next semester and I will not have time for it then. I was supposed to write it throughout this semester, but I've been procrastinating. I do have over 2000 words on it so far, though. I think I can do it!

Do you plan on sleeping at some point in all of that? :p

I admit, I'm wimping out of doing an honours project next year. It means taking a few courses I don't want to have to take and don't have to otherwise (and not sure I can fit into my schedule anyway), plus I'm behind the eight ball on finding a supervisor... :oops: The head of the honours biology programme blatantly said, "If you're planning on going to a professional school, this probably isn't the way to go." I'm just not sure the extra work and the extra stress would be worth it for me.

I don't know how it works there, but I found my honours supervisor in the beginning of the summer because I had collecting to do for mine. It helped a little bit that I had worked for him the prior semester. But you can find a supervisor as late as September and still be allowed to do it.

Our school doesn't really care what you're future is. If you want the option of going to grad school, apparently an honours is seen as favourable. Majority of the people who do an honours goes off and does their masters, but a couple of years ago, my professor had someone who now teaches junior high. Last year, a pre-med student did hers on shoulder tendenitis (think I spelled that wrong). Right now, there are a couple of pre-pharm students, a couple who want to go on and do a masters, a couple who don't know what they want to do, and me... a pre-vet. One pre-pharm is doing their honours on plant diversity and the other is doing something with crustacean populations. I'm identifying digenean trematode parasites in a local lake, to make a long story short... and my plan is to to avoid getting a masters :p

I'm actually feeling pretty inspired by my sister. She just completed National Novel Writing Month (website: http://www.nanowrimo.org/) and she wrote a 50 000 word novel in 30 days! She's always wanted to be a writer, and though she doesn't consider this book truly publishable, NaNo participants can get a proof copy of their novel in paperback form made up for free, which I know she'll be taking advantage of. I'm so proud of her.

It's funny, I was originally going to wimp out on the Honours too and graduate after only three years. But then I found a supervisor with a really cool project, and I thought maybe I'd try it to see how I like doing "real science". I figured it'd be good to see if research would be a good fit for me. And all my profs kept pushing me to do it. I think maybe they were hoping I'd change my mind about vet med and stay in biology. :laugh:

At my school, you have to have a supervisor and project all picked out by the end of March the year before you do your Honours. And everyone here says you should have an Honours degree if you want to do graduate work. Luckily I'm not worried about that.

At least I got all of my data in the summer. Another student has been growing tree seedlings since September, and she still doesn't have any useful data. She's freaking out just a little bit, poor thing.

I don't know how it works there, but I found my honours supervisor in the beginning of the summer because I had collecting to do for mine. It helped a little bit that I had worked for him the prior semester. But you can find a supervisor as late as September and still be allowed to do it.

We're expected to have a supervisor in Fall of 3rd year. Which for me is... now. :oops: Like I said, we were told flat out: This is only a good idea if you're aiming for a master's. They don't stop you if you're not planning on a master's, but they do discourage you. We were told: "If you're planning on med school/vet school/dental school, etc. it's more important to get a good GPA, good letters of rec, test scores, etc."

My big concern is that next year is loaded with upper year microbiology courses, and I really don't know if I could handle a research project on top of that.

I have 400 level Ichthyology, the rest of human anatomy, organic chemistry II and statistics II next semester... so I know exactly what you mean lol. I'd rather take all upper level biology courses and an honours than take organic chemistry II.

What are you thinking of doing the honours on?

Not to take away from all of this awful talk of honours projects, but... do we know when interviews roughly happen? I am just currently planning a trip this summer and I wasn't sure about dates.
P.S. is everyone in Biology?? This is what it seems like:p

I'm in Biology.

Aren't interviews in April and May or something like that? I think you find out about them in March, which kinda sucks, because if my parents have to take me, they need more than a month's notice to book it off work.

Atlantic Canadian interviews run from late April through the end of May. Americans are before that, since they have to have their acceptance/rejection letters by April 15, same as the American schools do.

I'm a Biology and Microbiology double major. :)

Scarcelyheard: Since I've basically decided not to do it, I haven't picked any. There's one on G protein coupled receptors and targets for heart disease drugs which looks interesting though. If I was going to, I'd probably go for that. I also have the option of upgrading my degree from a major to an honours later (if I don't get into AVC, but let's not go there!). So the only reason at this point for me to do one would be for the privilege of hearing them say "Honours in Biology" at my graduation. I think I can live without that for now, LOL.

Last edited:
My dreams/nightmares began two years ago.

I once dreamed that my interview took place at NSAC. My bowling coach was my first interviewer. The prof I had for molecular biology (worst biology mark on my transcript) was the second. I peeked at his clipboard and I was doing just average compared to other people in points. I think I had 83... the highest I saw on the clipboard was 113. I have no idea what those numbers mean. Then I fell into a pool.

Also dreamed that AVC had a giant wall fishtank that you could scuba in... well... kind of scuba in... it was pretty narrow.

Then I fell into a pool.

Also dreamed that AVC had a giant wall fishtank that you could scuba in... well... kind of scuba in... it was pretty narrow.

I can confirm that there is no giant scuba fishtank at AVC. At least, it wasn't on the tour last year.

Fell into a pool? Do all your dreams have such weird endings? :laugh:

(Oddly enough, I had no dreams until the day of my interview. When I repeatedly dreamed I overslept and missed it. Over and over again. I think I had at least five successive dreams like that between the hours of 1 am and 8 am.)

I dreamt that I had a letter that came from the AVC but I couldn't get to the mail box. And in my dream if I didn't get to the letter in time they weren't going to give my interview to someone else.

I'm actually an Agricultural Science and Technology major. I switched over from Animal Science last spring. I think interviews for me (US) are earlier than yours are (since almost everyone on the thread appears to be Canadian). In an email from Sharon, she mentioned "finalizing her ranking list" by late January. I don't know if this means all applicants or only international, but from the looks of the interview invite thread from last year, US invitations came out in February.

ETA: So I realized that I don't know much about the school. Any lurking current students or people that have been there want to share what they liked/didn't like? I won't really be able to go visit until I get an interview :)xf:) and I'd like to know what people think about the school. Thanks in advance for sharing :)

Last edited:
Yes, interviews for you will be sooner. Like I said, American acceptances have to go out by April 15. They string the Canadians along until June 15. From the interview invites thread from last year, it looks like American invites went out in late January/early February, and interviews were held in late February and early March. The latest American interview I see for an SDNer on that thread was March 15.

The school is fantastic, though I don't have any other schools to mentally compare it to, but I was impressed. The people are incredibly friendly. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see the school "in full swing", since my interview was in late May, but if you're there in March, that shouldn't be an issue.

Like Coquette22, I don't have any other vet schools to compare it to, but my visit to AVC left me very impressed. Every single person I met was super friendly, and all the facilities looked great. The aquaculture tanks aren't quite big enough to scuba dive in. :)

I've always loved PEI, and Charlottetown is a great little city. But then, I'm a country girl. If you're used to a big city, it could seem too small. It all depends on what you like.