AVC Applicants c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just realizing this has been a positive step for me... I have the grades and the support to do a masters... so why not give it a try?

Sounds great, scarcelyheard. Glad to hear you've got your back-up plans worked out.

PoseidonChic88 said:
Does anyone know what the interview process is like for them?

Basically, you get a tour of the campus and then have a ~45 minute behavioural interview. "Behavioural" means the interviewer prompts you with a type of situation and all you have to do is tell them about a time in your life when you had to deal with that type of situation. The tone of my interview was very relaxed, the interviewers were really nice, and it felt more like a conversation than an interview. I suggest checking out the Interview Feedback for UPEI - lots of good information there, and all of my questions from last year were on the list.

Members don't see this ad.

oh boy...didn't realize they had gone out yet! congrats to those who have heard and here is to hoping they are going to be sending more!

I HATE HATE HATE, and I know that is a strong word, but I HATE those types of stupid interview questions that they even ask you at an interview for McDonalds. "Name a negative trait of yourself" "Have you ever been in a situation where you had to take on a leadership role?" "Have you ever been put in a difficult situation from a co-worker" "What would you do if you saw somebody cheating?" Ahhhhh, they suck, do you say the truth or what you think they want to hear? I am not looking forward to that dilemma, assuming I get an interview :D
Come on, I'm sure you all feel the same way!! Any better examples of these stupid stupid questions, feel free to share.

Members don't see this ad :)
I HATE HATE HATE, and I know that is a strong word, but I HATE those types of stupid interview questions that they even ask you at an interview for McDonalds. "Name a negative trait of yourself" "Have you ever been in a situation where you had to take on a leadership role?" "Have you ever been put in a difficult situation from a co-worker" "What would you do if you saw somebody cheating?" Ahhhhh, they suck, do you say the truth or what you think they want to hear? I am not looking forward to that dilemma, assuming I get an interview :D
Come on, I'm sure you all feel the same way!! Any better examples of these stupid stupid questions, feel free to share.

Actually, I respectfully disagree :p I like these types of questions because it really gives you a chance to give your interviewers what YOU think are the most important things about you. Anyone can look at your application but when you have to describe a time that you did suchandso, you can select the experiences that were most valuable or impressive. Plus, there are no wrong answers in these sorts of questions, they just want to get to know you!

If you look at the interview feedback thread, they are less "trappy" than the ones you gave as examples, so that's a plus. Don't freak out :)

With this behavioural type of interview, everybody is on more equal footing than they would be if it were an open-file interview.
While some questions certainly will be vague and cliche, i think it's better than the alternative :thumbup:

Eh... I wish they would discuss our animal experience with us. We don't submit PS or references. Admissions is going to take one look at my chemistry marks and reject me. They'll never know how hard I work when I volunteer, how eager I am to learn, or how I performed my first entire neuter, outside, in the dark, during a thunderstorm without even breaking a sweat or getting nervous (haha... if you have the money to do the VIDA trip... do it!)

I don't think I will mind the behavioral questions... but some of them, I have no idea how to answer. This one comes to mind: "Describe a time when you had to deal with an emergency situation". During my entire life, no one has had an accident, no one's house caught fire, no one died, no one had to go to the ER, no one tried to rob my workplace, and I never had to deal with an emergency involving any of my animals... the closest situation I can think of is the time I was with my friend and her sister had to rush their dog to the clinic... are the interviewers going to buy that this was the toughest thing I had to face?

Speaking of chemistry, I have to go get extra help with my NMR/IR assignment. *groan*

"Describe a time when you had to deal with an emergency situation". During my entire life, no one has had an accident, no one's house caught fire, no one died, no one had to go to the ER, no one tried to rob my workplace, and I never had to deal with an emergency involving any of my animals... the closest situation I can think of is the time I was with my friend and her sister had to rush their dog to the clinic... are the interviewers going to buy that this was the toughest thing I had to face?

You can pass on questions.

Got my interview for March 2nd :) Does anyone know if the airport has a currency exchange booth thing? The email attachment recommended hotels, but price is in "Canadian funds" of which I have none. Thanks! :)

Got my interview for March 2nd :) Does anyone know if the airport has a currency exchange booth thing? The email attachment recommended hotels, but price is in "Canadian funds" of which I have none. Thanks! :)
congrats on the interview

A ton of places in canada will accept US cash. Or contact a bank wherever you live and i'm sure they can help you out

Alright, that redhead! Congratulations!

Currency exchange places seem to be everywhere nowadays. Just found one in my local mall over the holidays. If you plan ahead (i.e., act now), your bank may also be able to help you out -- especially with Canadian dollars.

Good luck everyone!!

Yeah, Canadian/American exchange is pretty simple. Hotels will take it, but not usually at the same exchange rate. Head to your bank, they can help you out. :) And congrats and good luck!

You can pass on questions.

I know a girl who passed on quite a few of them during her pharmacy interview. She didn't get in. Then again... she applied as a joke... anyway... I think she was only allowed to pass on a certain number.

I know a girl who passed on quite a few of them during her pharmacy interview. She didn't get in. Then again... she applied as a joke... anyway... I think she was only allowed to pass on a certain number.

Yeah, you can't pass on a bunch. But if you get one or two (and really, it's unlikely that in the time span of the interview you'll get more than one or two that you absolutely can't answer). My tour guide last year said she passed on two questions, and obviously she still got in. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of passing, couldn't I answer that question by telling the truth? That the closest thing to an emergency is when my friend's dog got very sick while we were camping? Or should I just pass lol.

SH, I've honestly never met anyone that could overthink like you. :laugh: Yes, you could certainly use the dog example (anything that you personally consider an emergency). I was just pointing out that if you're in the interview and get stuck with a question you absolutely can't think of answer for, you can pass.

Instead of passing, couldn't I answer that question by telling the truth? That the closest thing to an emergency is when my friend's dog got very sick while we were camping? Or should I just pass lol.

I think what they're looking for is how you react under pressure, so you could probably stretch something that wasn't necessarily like, life or death. You could use the dog example, though, and describe how you were involved in the initial problem, what you did to help, what happened on the way to the hospital, etc. I think most of these questions have an "actual" question buried deeper - how do you react to pressure, can you handle change, are you responsible/trustworthy/hard working.

If you want to exchange funds, then the best rate is probably through your Visa, and then your bank, then normal currency exchange places. Places at the airport may have a worse exchange rate due to the convenience factor.

I think what they're looking for is how you react under pressure, so you could probably stretch something that wasn't necessarily like, life or death. You could use the dog example, though, and describe how you were involved in the initial problem, what you did to help, what happened on the way to the hospital, etc. I think most of these questions have an "actual" question buried deeper - how do you react to pressure, can you handle change, are you responsible/trustworthy/hard working.

Even though it wasn't my dog, that situation was eye-opening... for the first time, I got to see euthanasia from a clients perspective instead of just watching an animal be put to sleep out back.

Yeah... I do tend to overthink things... I am deathly afraid of saying the wrong thing or that the interviewers aren't going to believe me. Emergency situation? Well, my friend had one and I was with her! Difficult customers? If they're not happy with a replacement, I ask them if they would like to speak to a supervisor! A time I had to think outside of the box? Haaaaa.... I decorated cakes for five years. It's "fun" when someone hands you a baby blue cake with roses and they ask you to make it appropriate for a 13 year old boy.

I live a relatively simple life. I can't answer every question with a spine-chilling tale about how I had to call the police on a customer or how I reacted when I was in a car accident. On the brightside, all of these little moments have taught me some pretty valuable lessons and I just hope that it supports my character as much as I think it does!

Anyhow...

:xf: that I get an interview this year
:xf: to all of you who are stressing out like I am
:xf: to all of you who have gotten an interview and best of luck!

I can't answer every question with a spine-chilling tale about how I had to call the police on a customer

I just thought it was funny that you mentioned this because I have had to do that before. I don't know if it was spine-chilling, but we were definitely a little scared. I was very glad to have a large, male technician closing with me that night.

I just thought it was funny that you mentioned this because I have had to do that before. I don't know if it was spine-chilling, but we were definitely a little scared. I was very glad to have a large, male technician closing with me that night.

That's horrible!

I can't even think of a situation that comes anything close to that. I've been pretty lucky. The worst customers I have had were a little rude to me... but nothing I cannot handle.

To those of you who interviewed last year: approximately how many questions did they ask you? I've read interviews are roughly 45mins in length, and I've found a bunch of example questions on the interview feedback page but I can't find the actual number of questions I should be expecting.

Also, I know you aren't supposed to use the same example twice, but can you use the same experience more than once? Like if at a small animal hospital you experienced X, Y and Z and each applies to a different interview question?

Thanks guys :)

I interviewed last year and there is not a money exchange T the airport. They have an ATM but it does not take visa. Learned this the hard way because all I had was a debit card...a visa. BUT, there are taxi service stands- actually I think just one and they have ones that took my debit card. There were other ATMs where they took visa, I think I went to the gas station near my hotel, and I was able to ge money this way. Here is to hoping I get an interview again this year! Good luck to the others waiting and those headed up there!

To those of you who interviewed last year: approximately how many questions did they ask you? I've read interviews are roughly 45mins in length, and I've found a bunch of example questions on the interview feedback page but I can't find the actual number of questions I should be expecting.

Also, I know you aren't supposed to use the same example twice, but can you use the same experience more than once? Like if at a small animal hospital you experienced X, Y and Z and each applies to a different interview question?

Thanks guys :)

I had 6 questions last year. I used the same place of employment for a couple of answers, but most of them were different. I didn't get in though so I don't know what you should take from that lol

that redhead (congrats on the interview!), my interview was six questions as well. There were two questions from each interviewer.

As for using the same experience more than once, do you mean "experience" as in a place/period of time you got animal experience? I would say that should be okay as long as you described a different event for each question. Though if I were an interviewer, it would be nice to hear about a variety of places and times, especially when there's only a few questions.

Also, remember that you can use examples from any part of your life, not just work or vet experience.

That doesn't sound like very many questions..
Are you expected to talk for 6-7 minutes in response to each question? or will they ask multiple follow-ups for each one based on what you say?

That doesn't sound like very many questions..
Are you expected to talk for 6-7 minutes in response to each question? or will they ask multiple follow-ups for each one based on what you say?

It took them a long time to get enough information out of me for each question (they ask for what seems to me to be a ridiculous amount of details). So yeah, I'd say it takes about that long to answer each question.

I interviewed last year and with the questions I don't feel likeI rambled on or anything for a long time. They asked the question and if the answer wasn't sufficient or what they were looking for they would a) ask me to expand on it b) perpaps provide a different example (this happened to me on one question).

that redhead (congrats on the interview!), my interview was six questions as well. There were two questions from each interviewer.

As for using the same experience more than once, do you mean "experience" as in a place/period of time you got animal experience? I would say that should be okay as long as you described a different event for each question. Though if I were an interviewer, it would be nice to hear about a variety of places and times, especially when there's only a few questions.

Also, remember that you can use examples from any part of your life, not just work or vet experience.

I mean the same "experience" as in a place/period of time. I have a lot of experiences so if there are only 6 or 7 questions, I should be able to touch on a different one every time. Thanks for the feedback, guys! Good luck to everyone interviewing and waiting :xf:

I got invited for an interview on February 16! I had no idea how difficult it would be to get there though! What are other U.S. students doing in terms of traveling? I will be going alone, so I was hoping to fly directly to Charlottetown, but this seems to be a long and expensive trip. Congrats to other interviewees! I would love to plan an SDN meetup if any of you will visiting at the same time I am.

I think it was mentioned on another thread, but it might be cheaper to fly into Halifax and drive to Charlottetown. I think it's about a 5 or 6 hour drive. I don't remember haha.

It's usually pretty expensive to fly into or out of the smaller airports in the maritimes. I live close to a small one, and it's generally an extra $150+ to fly out of there than to fly out of Halifax.

I got invited for an interview on February 16! I had no idea how difficult it would be to get there though! What are other U.S. students doing in terms of traveling? I will be going alone, so I was hoping to fly directly to Charlottetown, but this seems to be a long and expensive trip. Congrats to other interviewees! I would love to plan an SDN meetup if any of you will visiting at the same time I am.
when you say "directly to charlottetown", do you literally mean you only searched direct non-stop flights?
i know all flights to charlottetown are pretty expensive, but the cheapest ones will no doubt be connector flights through halifax..
If the ones you are talking about go through halifax already, then yeah scarcely gives good advice. I'd look into the price of a bus or rental car to get from Halifax to charlottetown

Hey, I'm going to be interviewing March 2 so I won't be able to meet up but I ended up deciding to fly. It's tough because it isn't the peak tourist season and I'll have to miss three days of class but I decided it would be better than trying to brave the roads. I'm in Maryland and I think my flight is ~$300 each way, approximately 4 hours of flight time which isn't too awful. We're flying Air Canada into Charlottetown.

Fortunately, my parents decided to come with me and are footing my bills for their mini vacation. They spent part of their honeymoon in PEI and my mom loves it there so they invited themselves along which isn't too much of a cramp on my style ;) Good luck figuring out your plans and good luck at your interview!

Sorry for being ambiguous! I understand that there are no flights directly to Charlottetown. The flights I've seen have two or three layovers (yikes!), but since I will be going alone I think that extra cost would probably be comparable to me renting a car (I'm assuming they have extra fees for renting a car if you're under 25). Thanks for the advice though! Definitely something I'll research a little bit more

I was talking to my parents and I have two options for next year: find somone to live with in PEI and gain residency, or go to grad school.

Tuition is increasing in NS, so taking more undergrad courses is just going to be a financial screw-over.

My pre-req average is currently an 80 (and rising) and I have to re-take the GRE. If I decide to work and gain residency, do you think those stats will be good enough?

Meanwhile, some of my pre-reqs will have expired if I wait to gain residency, so I have to go back and do it all over again. Some of my vet experience will be approaching the 5 year cutoff as well.

Also, does Charlottetown have a good bus system? I cannot afford to live there, work there and buy a car :/

If I do a masters, I will continue to get animal experience. Even though my grades wouldn't count, it would still look good on my application. The program is sort of geared towards those in the veterinary field.

So I donno.

I'm just thinking outloud on the forum.

My heart is tugging me in both directions... a masters will increase my chances, but working will decrease my debt!

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

My pre-req average is currently an 80 (and rising) and I have to re-take the GRE. If I decide to work and gain residency, do you think those stats will be good enough?

Meanwhile, some of my pre-reqs will have expired if I wait to gain residency, so I have to go back and do it all over again. Some of my vet experience will be approaching the 5 year cutoff as well.

Also, does Charlottetown have a good bus system? I cannot afford to live there, work there and buy a car :/

If I do a masters, I will continue to get animal experience. Even though my grades wouldn't count, it would still look good on my application. The program is sort of geared towards those in the veterinary field.

If you got a master's, you'd still run into the problems of expiring prereqs and expiring experience though right?

I think PEI sounds like the much better call, but make sure the move is BEFORE this september, so that way you can enroll in courses come the following september (2012).
Also presumably it wouldn't be that hard to find sources of animal related experience in PEI.

I'd go for PEI.. Though you might as well fire jack an email asking him what the past averages have been for PEI acceptances / interview cutoffs.
average of 20 apps for 10 seats sounds pretty sweet..
Doesn't it pretty much guarantee you an interview?
And therefore if an interview is guaranteed, you could use the Fall AND winter semesters to boost grades for the final admissions ranking (if you think you need two terms to do it).
AND you save the money that you would have spent on a short trip to PEI for the interview :thumbup: (a small victory, heh)

I am sure finding a place near a busline won't be that hard.
You'll just have to live in charlottetown and not on the outskirts (presumably)

:luck::luck::luck:

Sorry for being ambiguous! I understand that there are no flights directly to Charlottetown. The flights I've seen have two or three layovers (yikes!), but since I will be going alone I think that extra cost would probably be comparable to me renting a car (I'm assuming they have extra fees for renting a car if you're under 25). Thanks for the advice though! Definitely something I'll research a little bit more

Yes, there's extra fees, and now that I see where you're from, I'm guessing you don't have a lot of experience driving in snow (apologies if you do though and I'm assuming wrong!). Making the trip down the 102 in NS in February can be seriously bad if the weather doesn't cooperate.

From what I've read of your previous posts, you sound like in your heart you want to pursue further education, not work. I think that ultimately, you'll be better off doing what you love (or at least can tolerate!). However, I think if you can find meaningful work experience to boost your animal/vet hours (a couple hundred, if I remember correctly?) that would help you ease your debt, I (personally) would go that route. But then again, I'm not interested in pursuing a masters/PhD so my perspective is a bit skewed.

Does anyone know anything about competition for WCVM?

I have relatives in BC, so taking undergrad courses or working out there might now be an option for me.

Last edited:
Same as AVC, 12 months without being a student in that province:
As a regional veterinary college, the WCVM gives priority to applicants who are residents of the four western provinces and the northern territories. The number of applicants admitted from each western province is determined by an allotment system:

• British Columbia: 20
  • Alberta: 20
  • Saskatchewan: 20
  • Manitoba: 15
  • Northern territories (Yukon, Nunavut and Northwest Territories): 1
  • Education Equity Program: 2
An interprovincial agreement between the four western provinces and the WCVM outlines definite rules to determine an applicant's province of residence:

• For an applicant residing with his or her parents, the residence of the parents shall determine the residence of the applicant.
  • For an applicant not residing with his or her parents, residence is established by the applicant's residing in the province in question for at least one year (12 consecutive months) without attending post-secondary education.
http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/undergraduate_program/regional_nature.php

ETA: And here's the application numbers for each province: http://explore.usask.ca/programs/nondirect/vm/#stats

Thanks. I couldn't find the numbers earlier.

The averages look a little nicer than AVC's. The competition is comparable. And it looks like they aren't taking a ton of 2nd years, which is nice. And no GRE??? The vet I volunteered with didn't have a super high average and got in from BC. Her advisor had told her not to even bother applying. She graduated in 2007, owns her own clinic and built the city's first dog park. She's an amazing woman and one of my inspirations!

Errgh... I know a girl who's average is a little higher than mine and she didn't get an interview last year. Yet, she had friends with very LITTLE veterinary experience get in. My mom was talking to her mom... and yeah... mom finally realized how hard it was to get in :/

ETA: I wonder if those numbers are going to change now that Alberta has its own vet school.

Last edited:
Alberta and BC are typically the most competitive provinces for WCVM spots. Dr. Grahn, the Associate Dean Academic, doesn't think that the numbers will really change from Alberta due to having a vet school from Calgary. Numbers have stayed fairly constant since the launch of UCVM.

In Alberta, I believe you needed around a 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) to get an interview. According to Dr. Grahn, they don't really look at the hours of veterinary experience that you have, but what you've learned from it, so that may be why some people were able to get in without a lot of experience.

There is no standardized test required and they don't plan on changing that anytime soon. However, they are thinking about removing one biochem and one physics from the prereqs.

Thanks for the information.

AVC received my GRE scores and I am now ranked. *sigh*

Hello all,
First of all congratulations to everyone that has gotten an interview and keep your fingers crossed if you haven't yet heard back!!!! I had a question about AVC that I couldn't find an answer to in their website, does anyone know if they offer deferred admissions?? If so, how does it work? Just curious!
:luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf:

Do you mean deferring an acceptance until the next year (offered place for September 2011, but wait until September 2012 to start)? If so, yes, at least under some circumstances. If I get accepted this year, I'll be deferring my place until September 2012 so I can finish my BSc.

Hello all,
First of all congratulations to everyone that has gotten an interview and keep your fingers crossed if you haven't yet heard back!!!! I had a question about AVC that I couldn't find an answer to in their website, does anyone know if they offer deferred admissions?? If so, how does it work? Just curious!
:luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf:

You can defer your acceptance for a year, at least for Atlantic Canadians.
dono the details

Got my email today too - I am now ranked as well...sooo why not just tell us now where we are ranked and get it over with? haha

I have an interview on the 16th also! Last year it was just 3 students each day interviewing. I'm flying into Halifax, NS and driving up to PEI. It's definitely not cheap to get up there. After the interview I'll be driving back to Halifax and staying with some cousins overnight and flying out Thursday morning. I look forward to meeting you! Feel free to PM me and I'll let you know my name.

Of course, the nurse who took my blood today had to remind me of how hard it is to get into AVC :rolleyes: She, of course, knows the one girl who had straight 90s who got in her second year. Everyone knows her. My boyfriend knows her. The last three hairdressers I've had knows her. All of my profs and classmates know her. Everytime I mention that I want to be a vet, her name comes up. You know I go to a small university when..... lol.