AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! I guess I am choosing East Valley because of my interest in peds?!?! If you hear anything else about these rotations, let us know!!

If your selling point on East Valley was Phoenix Children's, long-story short, we've essentially been muscled out of it by U of A and Creighton. As far as I know, there is still some availability at PC for our students, but it's likely been reduced and we're clearly not a priority. I also believe the school's attempted/attempting to set up something with Cardon Children's in Mesa but haven't heard anything about it in months.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, i wanted to know if it looks bad to reschedule an interview and push it back 2 days before the interview was initially scheduled. I had an interview on the 7th and pushed it back to 17th on the 5th. Also, does it look it bad at all to push an interview back even if its not 2 days before?

Pushing one back in general, nah. Pushing one back two days before...who knows.

If your selling point on East Valley was Phoenix Children's, long-story short, we've essentially been muscled out of it by U of A and Creighton. I believe the school's attempted/attempting to set up something with Cardon Children's in Mesa but haven't heard anything about it in months.

Good to know. I also thought MWU had affiliations with the Mayo Clinic, but I didn't see it listed anywhere. Is this gone as well? I guess I am still confused as to which valley to put as number one because I just don't know the area or the hospitals. Is young and old patient populations really the only difference?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to know. I also thought MWU had affiliations with the Mayo Clinic, but I didn't see it listed anywhere. Is this gone as well? I guess I am still confused as to which valley to put as number one because I just don't know the area or the hospitals. Is young and old patient populations really the only difference?

To be honest, I'm actually not sure about whether we've ever had official affiliations with Mayo or not. I'll also point out that the PC rotations are ward-based anyway so if you applied through the Pediatrics department and were approved (which you have to do in order to rotate there anyway) you could rotate there even if you were assigned to a California region.

You'll have a good mix of old and young patients regardless of which side you choose, the old vs young mostly relates to the fact that EV contains Tempe which contains ASU while WV contains Sun City which contains oodles of old people. You could postulate that you might see more co-morbid conditions in WV since there is a community dominated by old people there, and you might see more drunken trauma cases and/or STDs or whatever else you'd associate with youthful excess in EV since you have a high concentration of college students, but as far as I know, it really is a very pointless decision of WV vs EV if you don't have ties to one side or the other (family, a house, etc).

To be honest, I'm actually not sure about whether we've ever had official affiliations with Mayo or not. I'll also point out that the PC rotations are ward-based anyway so if you applied through the Pediatrics department and were approved (which you have to do in order to rotate there anyway) you could rotate there even if you were assigned to a California region.

You'll have a good mix of old and young patients regardless of which side you choose, the old vs young mostly relates to the fact that EV contains Tempe which contains ASU while WV contains Sun City which contains oodles of old people. You could postulate that you might see more co-morbid conditions in WV since there is a community dominated by old people there, and you might see more drunken trauma cases and/or STDs or whatever else you'd associate with youthful excess in EV since you have a high concentration of college students, but as far as I know, it really is a very pointless decision of WV vs EV if you don't have ties to one side or the other (family, a house, etc).
I thought that only the internal medicine rotation was ward based? I prefer ward based rotations, so would be very interested to know which are preceptor based and which are ward based.

I thought that only the internal medicine rotation was ward based? I prefer ward based rotations, so would be very interested to know which are preceptor based and which are ward based.

In the thread-specific search beneath the page numbers on the top of the thread, just type in "ward" and look for a post by Flushot.

Chillin at the Drury. This place is sweet!

Has anyone here put down their deposit already and heard about which rotation site they were assigned to? I don't think they will consider my request unless I have paid my deposit so I need to decide soon! L.A. rotation slots are scarce...

Has anyone here put down their deposit already and heard about which rotation site they were assigned to? I don't think they will consider my request unless I have paid my deposit so I need to decide soon! L.A. rotation slots are scarce...

I didn't even get the packet in the mail yet. Does it say how many slots are available for each location?

I didn't even get the packet in the mail yet. Does it say how many slots are available for each location?
No they don't, but on these forums I've read that there are about 45. Are you hoping for L.A. too? I wish I knew more about the quality of the L.A. sites...

No they don't, but on these forums I've read that there are about 45. Are you hoping for L.A. too? I wish I knew more about the quality of the L.A. sites...

Yeah, I am hoping for LA as well. I have asked around for the quality of the LA sites and even at the interview no one really could comment on them since they were relatively new. I know the hospitals are big hospitals, and hopefully the teaching is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Anyone who is interviewing 10/13 interested in a meet up? I fly in early enough, and don't want to completely waste my vacation days from work being in transit.

Last edited:
if anyone wants to meet up tomorrow for dinner ill be chillin for my interview on wednesday

pm me

Just got my interview bumped up from February 20th to November 30th......... Lucky I neurotically check the portal

Yeah, I am hoping for LA as well. I have asked around for the quality of the LA sites and even at the interview no one really could comment on them since they were relatively new. I know the hospitals are big hospitals, and hopefully the teaching is good.

I was under the impression that the list of hospitals wasn't actually a list of ward-based rotations, but a list of hospitals where our preceptors are affiliated. Did I miss something?

I heard that the Midwestern PA program has a rotation option with the Glendale (AZ) Fire Department, though I don't know all of the details. Does anyone know if AZCOM has any similar ride-out options for people interested in Emergency Medicine?

Haha a glitch! How bad would that suck?!? Actually, I thought the same thing at first. I kept checking back every couple of hours to make sure it wasn't a mistake. Then they added the additional information, and I knew everything was fine. Congrats on your acceptance!

couple years ago, ucla sent acceptance letters to rejected applicants. A glitch does happen, lol
btw, congrats on your acceptance.

couple years ago, ucla sent acceptance letters to rejected applicants. A glitch does happen, lol
btw, congrats on your acceptance.

I was actually really scared to cancel some other interviews after seeing my portal change because it's so unofficial. But I did anyways, and luckly got a letter in the mail and a phone call confirmation of acceptance. But yeah...that's really sad. Haha, way to make people scared rosenk!

I was under the impression that the list of hospitals wasn't actually a list of ward-based rotations, but a list of hospitals where our preceptors are affiliated. Did I miss something?

Your impression would be correct.

I heard that the Midwestern PA program has a rotation option with the Glendale (AZ) Fire Department, though I don't know all of the details. Does anyone know if AZCOM has any similar ride-out options for people interested in Emergency Medicine?

I haven't heard much about this, but I've definitely heard some mention of it before. I'd imagine that even if the EM club doesn't do it, it probably wouldn't be too hard to contact the FD and get something set up if you really wanted to do it.

For those that interviewed 10/10 was the thought we should hear something in a week? I recall hearing an applicant mention that but I didn't speak with anyone from admissions about it.

Loved the school!:xf:

The EM club does provide EMS ride alongs, and there is an EM elective 2nd year that will give you more chances to work with EMS. I was an officer at the club last year so I can confirm it. There is an entire officer position just for that so it should be easy to set up. As far as rotations go, you'd probably have to seek that out specifically if you want it 3rd year.

I also want to add that I've gotten 2 PMs asking about AZCOM clinical years and I really have to note that preceptors are generally a mixed bag, but you can take control and seek out opportunities, provided you submit the paperwork on time. AZCOM is generally that school that does not hold your hand but, for the most part, does not stand in your way. Use whatever method you can to get what you want out of these years and it should happen.

I interviewed oct 10 and I was told we should hear by Monday.

Hi there,

I am interviewing tomorrow, came to campus today just to practice my route, etc...

Was wondering if any current student who happens to read this forum would like to meet up and discuss the place this afternoon/evening, or possibly tomorrow/Saturday? Or are there any student club meetings tonight that I could attend as a guest?

As incentive, I will gladly purchase you a beverage wherever we are able to meet up.

PM me with ideas and a way to reach you, I will check my email periodically. Thanks!

Interviewed here today. I really love this school, a bit expensive, but I still hope to get in here.

I really really like this school, but I looked at opportunities.osteopathic.org and noticed that there are hardly any residency programs in the state of Arizona, and most of the ones they have are FP and IM.
Can anyone comment on the chances of landing a residency in something like surgery? Would you have to leave the state to obtain such residency? Thanks!

Finally received the acceptance letter in the mail. Choosing rotation sites will be tough, they don't really give you much to go by besides location.

I really really like this school, but I looked at opportunities.osteopathic.org and noticed that there are hardly any residency programs in the state of Arizona, and most of the ones they have are FP and IM.
Can anyone comment on the chances of landing a residency in something like surgery? Would you have to leave the state to obtain such residency? Thanks!

You have an entire slew of allopathic residencies in Phoenix and Tucson that you can apply to. If you're dead-set on doing an AOA-accredited residency, you'll honestly be a bit hard-pressed to find much that isn't primary care outside of a handful of states (Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania...). General surgery really isn't all that competitive, so it's definitely doable (granted it might require you to leave Arizona, but having to leave your school's state for residency is a risk you run no matter where you attend).

Hey guys,

I was recently granted an interview for February.
I am hoping to find an opening before this year is over. Is there any way to go about this, or just keep checking the online portal multiple times a day?

Also, if anyone is planning on withdrawing from their interview date, could you please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Hey guys,

I was recently granted an interview for February.
I am hoping to find an opening before this year is over. Is there any way to go about this, or just keep checking the online portal multiple times a day?

Also, if anyone is planning on withdrawing from their interview date, could you please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

The surest way of finding a spot is to refresh the portal like it's the coolest thing ever because most applicants don't frequent SDN. Though, it might be harder to find anything in November or December because, if I'm remembering correctly, the number of interviews during that time frame drops significantly due to breaks (I don't even think there are any interviews in December, but I could be mistaken).

You have an entire slew of allopathic residencies in Phoenix and Tucson that you can apply to. If you're dead-set on doing an AOA-accredited residency, you'll honestly be a bit hard-pressed to find much that isn't primary care outside of a handful of states (Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania...). General surgery really isn't all that competitive, so it's definitely doable (granted it might require you to leave Arizona, but having to leave your school's state for residency is a risk you run no matter where you attend).

I thought surgery was pretty competitive? Or is specialized surgery competitive but general surgery isn't?

I thought surgery was pretty competitive? Or is specialized surgery competitive but general surgery isn't?

Well, any sub specialty will be competitive, but the popular thing now is lifestyle or perhaps it was always popular and now it is more than ever. EM is the hottest thing right now and compared to the call ridden general surgery, it is looking much nicer.

Just do what you want, really. Even if your life outside of medicine is extremely important to you, there's nothing like 16 hr days wishing the clock would move faster. It'll eat away at you quickly.

The surest way of finding a spot is to refresh the portal like it's the coolest thing ever because most applicants don't frequent SDN. Though, it might be harder to find anything in November or December because, if I'm remembering correctly, the number of interviews during that time frame drops significantly due to breaks (I don't even think there are any interviews in December, but I could be mistaken).

Thanks for the fyi RUN. I will be on that site full time!

Do you think a Feb 13 interview is very late? That will work to my disadvantage I am guessing.

Pretty much as Flushot's said, sub-specialty anything will be more competitive, but general surgery, while more competitive than FP or non-coveted IM spots, isn't as competitive as the E-ROAD specialties or surgical subspecialties.

Thanks for the fyi RUN. I will be on that site full time!

Do you think a Feb 13 interview is very late? That will work to my disadvantage I am guessing.

2/13 definitely isn't too late for an acceptance, especially since they've taken to wait-listing more people throughout the cycle last year and (seemingly) this cycle so that they have more open seats towards the end for those applicants interviewing in the latter half of the cycle (which Azcom interviews into the first or second week of May I believe, so early February definitely isn't too late in the cycle).

Finally received the acceptance letter in the mail. Choosing rotation sites will be tough, they don't really give you much to go by besides location.

i feel the same way...it's hard to pick b/c i know so little!

i feel the same way...it's hard to pick b/c i know so little!

The best (and only) advice is to just pick a place you'd like to live. If you've never been to or lived in any of the areas that are options, my only caution is that California-bound students get an adjustment in their COA during MS3-4 so that they can receive more money for expenses because of California's high cost of living.

How long did it take for you guys to hear anything about the interview after your file is complete?

The EM club does provide EMS ride alongs, and there is an EM elective 2nd year that will give you more chances to work with EMS. I was an officer at the club last year so I can confirm it. There is an entire officer position just for that so it should be easy to set up. As far as rotations go, you'd probably have to seek that out specifically if you want it 3rd year.

Thanks for the info. I feel like there is a great benefit to people interested in EM to know how their patient got to the hospital. I'd love to try to work some pre-hospital time into a rotation.

I also want to add that I've gotten 2 PMs asking about AZCOM clinical years and I really have to note that preceptors are generally a mixed bag, but you can take control and seek out opportunities, provided you submit the paperwork on time. AZCOM is generally that school that does not hold your hand but, for the most part, does not stand in your way. Use whatever method you can to get what you want out of these years and it should happen.

Dr. Speicher repeated at least a dozen times during his presentation on interview day that "we assign your rotations". How flexible are they with rotations? I'm guessing especially for the LA based sites they would be more flexible, but how much of a chance do students get to either request or coordinate their own rotations?

Hi :) So is it likely that people who interviewed on the 11th will hear on Monday as well?? Thanks!

Question about AZCOM 4th year electives.

Are you allowed to do more than two electives in the same specialty? I know CCOM has a rule like this, where you can only do two electives in a single specialty.

Question about AZCOM 4th year electives.

Are you allowed to do more than two electives in the same specialty? I know CCOM has a rule like this, where you can only do two electives in a single specialty.

If you go through the catalog (http://www.midwestern.edu/catalogs/Arizona%20Catalog/)and look at the curriculum regarding the clinical electives during MS4 it basically says that if you don't get prior approval from the department chair you can only do 8 weeks (aka 2 rotations), if you get the department chair's approval you can do 12 weeks (aka 3 rotations), and if you get the Dean of Clinical Education's approval as well as the department chair's you can do 16 weeks (aka 4 rotations) in a single discipline.

If you go through the catalog (http://www.midwestern.edu/catalogs/Arizona%20Catalog/)and look at the curriculum regarding the clinical electives during MS4 it basically says that if you don't get prior approval from the department chair you can only do 8 weeks (aka 2 rotations), if you get the department chair's approval you can do 12 weeks (aka 3 rotations), and if you get the Dean of Clinical Education's approval as well as the department chair's you can do 16 weeks (aka 4 rotations) in a single discipline.

Ah, I see. Thanks for this info. Do you happen to have any idea of how easy or difficult it is to get the dean's approval?

Hey guys,
Had an interview on october 13. The interviewers really great and made me feel at ease. I was still pretty nervous and stuttered on a few answers but hopefully that wont hinder me to much.:):xf:

Got a nice little letter saying my application was on hold. great. Complete 9/12

Hey guys,
Had an interview on october 13. The interviewers really great and made me feel at ease. I was still pretty nervous and stuttered on a few answers but hopefully that wont hinder me to much.:):xf:

I interviewed on the 13th as well. Great interview. Which one were you? I was the one in the patterned charcoal suit.

I interviewed on the 13th as well. Great interview. Which one were you? I was the one in the patterned charcoal suit.

I was the short kid in the blue shirt with a straight black suit. I think i remember you but there were so many of us, who knows. lol. What was your name? My names Jesse

I was the short kid in the blue shirt with a straight black suit. I think i remember you but there were so many of us, who knows. lol. What was your name? My names Jesse

Yeah I think I remember you. I'm Matt