This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs_med_student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello guys.
next month ill be hopefully moving to 2nd year and studying:
-phathology
-microbiology
-pharmacology
-genetics (i probably wont need a book)

i need something that all med students dream of,a book thats:
clear
concise
easy to read
HIGH YIELD or MIDUIM YIELD

just like Guyton for physio or Junqueira for histo.

#plz note that these books r for my courses and not USMLE..but if a book works for both then all the better
so please tell me what you think and why..and if possible a list of books with pros and cons.
THANKS A LOT :) :) :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my list:

Pathology: Rapid Review Goljan + BRS Pathology for quizzes if you are that type of person (worked for me and at my school if I knew BRS patho I did well on class tests). Maybe Weather's Basic Pathology?

Microbiology: I liked Lippincott Microbiology, some of my classmates loved Made Ridiculously Simple Microbiology (I thought it was exactly that.. too simple and didn't like it). My professors were excellent in this course and their classes prepared me well!

Pharmacology: again... I liked Lippincott however classmates used several resources. I hated BRS Pharmacology because of the layout. Kaplan Lectures + Notes saved me in the end for my final exam. Paying attention in class helped tremendously, we had an intense course in pharmacology.

Genetics: Oh God..... good luck with this one. Maybe someone else can pitch in? I still don't know genetics well....

These are just some of my favorites. Also, consider buying USMLE-Rx or something because it helped me for my exams as well. Reading is not enough, you have to test yourself and do many practice questions constantly.

Edit: I highly recommend buying a resource such as Firecracker/Sketchy Micro/Pharm. I wish I knew about these resources when I was in my second year.

Reactions: 1 user
hello guys.
next month ill be hopefully moving to 2nd year and studying:
-phathology
-microbiology
-pharmacology
-genetics (i probably wont need a book)

i need something that all med students dream of,a book thats:
clear
concise
easy to read
HIGH YIELD or MIDUIM YIELD

just like Guyton for physio or Junqueira for histo.

#plz note that these books r for my courses and not USMLE..but if a book works for both then all the better
so please tell me what you think and why..and if possible a list of books with pros and cons.
THANKS A LOT :) :) :) :) :)

I wrote relatively comprehensive "best books" recommendations for those subjects (and the rest of the basic sciences) here.

Cardio - Dubins' Rapid interpretation of EKG's 6th edition
BRS of the subjects you listed.