This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Threemethylcholanthrene

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I wanted to ask what everyone thinks the best use of a gap year time would be. I recently just graduated ASU with a major in Biological Sciences (Genetics, Cell & Developmental) with a 3.58 cumulative. I think my sGPA is somewhere around 3.6 but I am not 100% sure.

Currently I am attending Phlebotomy school for a certification so I can gain hands-on experience working in a hospital. I was chosen for Banner University where I will be spending my externship for 4 weeks (unpaid). I also work as a medical scribe for an orthopedic office part-time. So far, with my hours shadowing the physicians I scribe for (about 6-8, I follow one physician each day I work) I have about 60+ hours total and it's only growing.

Aside from that I am also volunteering at an in-patient memory care facility for moderate to advanced stages of Dementia/Alzheimer's, about one day a week. Should I volunteer more? Try to get research experience? Keep trucking along? I don't really have that much money since I was laid-off from my Merchant Services position in July this year so things like studying abroad aren't really in my budget.

Please let me know what you all think. Any advice is very useful!!

-TMC

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgot to mention this in my post - I will be taking the MCAT on January 22nd, I have been studying for it semi-consistently. I expect to do very well. Assuming I get a 500 or above I won't retake it. Thoughts?
500 is actually pretty low...

Reactions: 1 user
What are your practice full length scores?

Are you aiming for M.D. or D.O.?

Either way spend all of your time preparing to crush the MCAT. Do the ECs later on.