C/O 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On NCSU's website they suggest getting the app in early (September-ish I believe). The idea is that if you get in touch with the school to make sure that everything was received, if something wasn't received (maybe it got lost in the mail, maybe you happened to overlook something, etc etc)...you actually have time to take care of it. If you submit everything last minute and something hasn't been received by the school...well, you're gonna have to apply again next time.

I think that's the only benefit of submitting early. Even then, though, I wouldn't consider submitting earlier than September. But that's just me.

I feel like schools were super nice to me about things that ended up being a miscommunication. There was an instance with Tufts where I technically should have sent them transcripts from when I was abroad but because the courses transferred and appeared on my home school's transcript, I never sent them. They were just like eh, we didn't realize it last year so don't worry about it for this year (in reference to my 2nd year applying). They were also okay with a LOR possibly arriving late since it was coming from the UK by mail because I put the wrong person down for the electronic LOR. Then this year, I payed for my Wisconsin supplemental but apparently somehow didn't actually submit it. They still let me submit it after the deadline. Still got rejected but that wasn't mentioned in my review, so I don't think it played a part. Or it could have. Who knows. Haha.

Obviously I don't recommend missing deadlines and am utterly surprised I didn't get majorly screwed by any of those instances, but I think sometimes admissions can be understanding depending on the school. Some other schools are pretty ridiculously strict about things.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like schools were super nice to me about things that ended up being a miscommunication. There was an instance with Tufts where I technically should have sent them transcripts from when I was abroad but because the courses transferred and appeared on my home school's transcript, I never sent them. They were just like eh, we didn't realize it last year so don't worry about it for this year (in reference to my 2nd year applying). They were also okay with a LOR possibly arriving late since it was coming from the UK by mail because I put the wrong person down for the electronic LOR. Then this year, I payed for my Wisconsin supplemental but apparently somehow didn't actually submit it. They still let me submit it after the deadline. Still got rejected but that wasn't mentioned in my review, so I don't think it played a part. Or it could have. Who knows. Haha.

Obviously I don't recommend missing deadlines and am utterly surprised I didn't get majorly screwed by any of those instances, but I think sometimes admissions can be understanding depending on the school. Some other schools are pretty ridiculously strict about things.

:thumbup: Its good to know that schools can be flexible. :thumbup:

I was insanely frantic about getting all my stuff in on time and when I called a few schools to make sure they got my stuff, they told me they would call me in a month or two if there were any problems and to not worry about it. They said it wouldn't effect my application negatively.

Members don't see this ad :)
All you procrastinators out there, this should make you feel better. .......I haven't even entered my address yet..... I'm starting this week :laugh:

I was insanely frantic about getting all my stuff in on time and when I called a few schools to make sure they got my stuff, they told me they would call me in a month or two if there were any problems and to not worry about it. They said it wouldn't effect my application negatively.

Not all schools are this flexible, though... I know NCSU disqualified me (incorrectly) for not having a transcript in on time. No warning or asking for it first, just a "Application Disqualified for Admission" email in my inbox. So get things in on time for them. :laugh:

All you procrastinators out there, this should make you feel better. .......I haven't even entered my address yet..... I'm starting this week :laugh:

Last year, I started the application in september. I don't recommend this. It was my third year applying and I knew what had to be done. I also had some crummy health issues right before I started the application that continued from march to august. Get a start on the application, but remember it is still early and there is time to breathe but don't wait until the last minute like I did, it is super stressful.

Not all schools are this flexible, though... I know NCSU disqualified me (incorrectly) for not having a transcript in on time. No warning or asking for it first, just a "Application Disqualified for Admission" email in my inbox. So get things in on time for them. :laugh:

Yes definitely get everything in. I mean, how bad does it make you look to apply to a professional program if you can't even complete the application and send everything necessary? It just made me feel a little better knowing if a school made a mistake with my transcript that UF would let me know and not just do what NCSU does. It wasn't easy confirming with twelve schools every time I sent a transcript or GRE score lol.
So this leads to another piece of advice, 2017 applicants... It is YOUR job to make sure every school gets everything they need. Make sure your transcripts get to them. There have been several occasions where someone's transcripts didn't arrive and their apps were thrown out. People (transcript people) make mistakes, mail gets lost, etc. So it's up to you to double check that every school got what's needed. Some schools (like NCSU) only allow you to call and check up to a certain date (and I believe last year it was sometime in August???) so start sending transcripts and scores ASAP so you have time to check on everything.

Yes definitely get everything in. I mean, how bad does it make you look to apply to a professional program if you can't even complete the application and send everything necessary? It just made me feel a little better knowing if a school made a mistake with my transcript that UF would let me know and not just do what NCSU does. It wasn't easy confirming with twelve schools every time I sent a transcript or GRE score lol.
So this leads to another piece of advice, 2017 applicants... It is YOUR job to make sure every school gets everything they need. Make sure your transcripts get to them. There have been several occasions where someone's transcripts didn't arrive and their apps were thrown out. People (transcript people) make mistakes, mail gets lost, etc. So it's up to you to double check that every school got what's needed. Some schools (like NCSU) only allow you to call and check up to a certain date (and I believe last year it was sometime in August???) so start sending transcripts and scores ASAP so you have time to check on everything.

Agreed. I had difficulty keeping track of everything for the 9 schools I applied to. My post earlier wasn't meant to make it sound like everything will be okay if someone thing is late. That is definitely not that case, but I was just trying to show that sometimes things happen and that it might not necessarily be the end of the world.

:thumbup: Its good to know that schools can be flexible. :thumbup:

Sometimes if you screw up you can slide under the wire, but don't count on it! Read the requirements carefully, complete them with plenty of time to spare, follow up to make sure everything you sent was received. Then go back before the deadline to make sure you accurately completed all of the requirements.

^^^ Words of a slightly obsessive (but successful!) applicant.

Okay, really obsessive. I was terrified I would be rejected on a technicality.

Did anyone buy or is planning on buying the VMSAR 2012-2013: Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements book?

so I've narrowed down my school choices to ... 16. :shrug: it's going to be a long and expensive four months.

Members don't see this ad :)
You call this procrastinating? :lol:
Haha no not really. I'm way more ahead of the game than I was last year..... still have yet to enter any info. I'm so not mentally ready to go through this again.

And whoever said that people reapplying this year are calmer.....
tumblr_m4xmcqBwDL1qj3ir1.gif

tumblr_ln3tqr40MJ1qln4e1o1_400.gif

Added this just cuz I like to look at him.....

so I've narrowed down my school choices to ... 16. :shrug: it's going to be a long and expensive four months.

Take it from someone who did 12, don't waste your time and money. That's absurd! :scared: We might be able to help you narrow it down.

Take it from someone who did 12, don't waste your time and money. That's absurd! :scared: We might be able to help you narrow it down.

Thanks for the advice! I'm emailing/calling schools this week to clarify pre-req's. My goal is to get down to 8 or 9 US schools (and 2 internationals). Since I have no intention of taking Cell biology, I've been able to cut Tennessee off my list and I realize that I have 0 chance of getting into CSU (although it would be dreamy) so I know its not worth applying to either... This brings me to 12 US schools. I'm getting there!

Of course, that probably won't work out because of all the supplementals. I'm pretty :eek: about Cornell, for one...

Ooohh start early on that one. Definitely. I decided since it was due after VMCAS I'd have plenty of time to get it done - nope. Nope nope nope.

You don't want to do that to yourself. .__. I would recommend doing the supplementals to the schools you REALLY wanna go to first, so that after you've burnt yourself out after the first four or five, you've narrowed your list down on your own! :D

You don't want to do that to yourself. .__. I would recommend doing the supplementals to the schools you REALLY wanna go to first, so that after you've burnt yourself out after the first four or five, you've narrowed your list down on your own! :D

Haha, I like your thinking! That's probably what's going to happen.

Spoken like a true "Pre-Vet Bully" :smuggrin:... you don't have it in you, emi.

Spoken like a true "Pre-Vet Bully" :smuggrin:... you don't have it in you, emi.

Crap, I keep forgetting my role :(

ONLY STUPID PEOPLE APPLY TO THAT MANY SCHOOLS, YOU BIG STUPID HEAD!!! :mad:

Is that better? :D

haha. Emiloo, YOURE SO MEAN! I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now... at noon...

Yoouuuuuu kin dooooo it! You know the cheer parade on this forum only grows the more times you apply :). Make us proud!

I dunno who that is, but keep on addin'
LOL thanks Minner. Just so ya know this is my third app
tumblr_lzb8d5uxNh1qhp2lr.gif

And that my friend, is Ryan Reynolds. My future prisoner.... err Just ignore that... deny-ability and all that lol

I've been so worried about my PS that I didn't really think about job descriptions. Some jobs require a lot more than 480 characters to describe :laugh:

I'm officially throwing my hat in the ring this year! I'm only going for Auburn because I am a KY resident and I think I'm going to have enough trouble with my complete lack of vet hours to be attempting OOS. My GRE and grades are in great shape, and it's looking like I'm going to end up with around 2000 animal hours from a bunch of different field jobs. (I should mention that I am changing horses in the middle of this stream--I had every intention to go to grad school in field biology and conservation until this summer!)

My current job has me living in a trailer with wireless hotspot internet, which is absolutely atrocious so I am slowly and painfully picking my way through the application. So far I have 650 hours in Animal and I've only done 2 of like 6 positions. :D

When I am done with this job at the end of July, I have SA and LA contacts at home. Not sure how many clinic hours a week I can cram in before my community college starts and I take my final three prerequisites. Hopefully a lot.

Just a few semi-trivial questions...Auburn wants one letter of rec from a vet, one from an employer that could be a vet, and one from an academic. My question is about the "employer"...one of my field positions was with a professor where we did a lot of animal work (fun with ketamine and squirrels!) but only my room and board was paid for so I never got "paid", per se. Can he still count as an employer? I think it would be a pretty strong letter. My academic is well covered and I think my vet will be...alright.

Also, is there an expiration date on prereqs? I took some of my college courses in high school and one of my intro bio courses is from...like...2004. I really really hope it counts because if not I'm totally screwed for this year and probably next year and the one after....blargh!

I'm officially throwing my hat in the ring this year! I'm only going for Auburn because I am a KY resident and I think I'm going to have enough trouble with my complete lack of vet hours to be attempting OOS. My GRE and grades are in great shape, and it's looking like I'm going to end up with around 2000 animal hours from a bunch of different field jobs. (I should mention that I am changing horses in the middle of this stream--I had every intention to go to grad school in field biology and conservation until this summer!)

My current job has me living in a trailer with wireless hotspot internet, which is absolutely atrocious so I am slowly and painfully picking my way through the application. So far I have 650 hours in Animal and I've only done 2 of like 6 positions. :D

When I am done with this job at the end of July, I have SA and LA contacts at home. Not sure how many clinic hours a week I can cram in before my community college starts and I take my final three prerequisites. Hopefully a lot.

Just a few semi-trivial questions...Auburn wants one letter of rec from a vet, one from an employer that could be a vet, and one from an academic. My question is about the "employer"...one of my field positions was with a professor where we did a lot of animal work (fun with ketamine and squirrels!) but only my room and board was paid for so I never got "paid", per se. Can he still count as an employer? I think it would be a pretty strong letter. My academic is well covered and I think my vet will be...alright.

Also, is there an expiration date on prereqs? I took some of my college courses in high school and one of my intro bio courses is from...like...2004. I really really hope it counts because if not I'm totally screwed for this year and probably next year and the one after....blargh!

It depends on the school, but yes, they can expire. Some are 5 years, some are ten. Call auburn to make sure!!!

I would think that as long as he was a supervisor over you then it should be fine for him to write an LOR. I don't think getting paid is *the* thing that determines whether its employment or not.

However, I would hate to be wrong.

Does anyone have a sense for whether schools care if you visit before applying? Do you think the schools that interview would feel differently about it than the schools that don't interview (since the interview schools would get you on campus before they accepted you anyway)?

I know I'm overthinking this. :) I'm just wondering if it's worth visiting some of the non-interview schools before October, and/or if I should go ahead and schedule a visit at my IS school (since it's all of 20 minutes away from my house...). With the expense and time that goes into applying, I'm sure they can't hold it against applicants who can't visit; I just wonder whether visiting demonstrates an interest in the program in a positive way.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sent out most of my eLOR requests this morning. Just got an email saying one of the vets already submitted it... I feel like there's some kind of mistake. Although she is super type A so I wouldn't be surprised, but still...

I sent my eLOR requests this morning as well. Other than that & basic info, that's as far as I've gotten so far.

Sent out most of my eLOR requests this morning. Just got an email saying one of the vets already submitted it... I feel like there's some kind of mistake. Although she is super type A so I wouldn't be surprised, but still...

I registered mine on Saturday (?). One is going on a three week vacation starting today. I am thinking it will take them all a while to submit

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

I remember when I applied last cycle that I registered one of my eLORs (my vet in fact) and got an email the very next day saying that he already completed it. Boy was I surprised. It totally threw me off and I also remember literally calling VMCAS to make sure it wasn't a mistake.

So basically, I don't think its a mistake. Your vet is just really on top of things.

You guys are seriously making me feel behind! I've signed up and looked at all the screens, but haven't filled out anything yet. I don't even know who my 3rd eLOR is going to be! :eek:

Question about the VMRCVM supplemental: Are we required to do that in 1 sitting or can we save it and go back to it later? I swear I remember reading that you couldn't save and return, but I can't find that again for the life of me. Anyone know?

You guys are seriously making me feel behind!

You are NOT behind!!! Please don't think you have to have started already. Do what works for you, not everyone else. (I think I started mine sometime in July).

Does anyone have a sense for whether schools care if you visit before applying? Do you think the schools that interview would feel differently about it than the schools that don't interview (since the interview schools would get you on campus before they accepted you anyway)?

I know I'm overthinking this. :) I'm just wondering if it's worth visiting some of the non-interview schools before October, and/or if I should go ahead and schedule a visit at my IS school (since it's all of 20 minutes away from my house...). With the expense and time that goes into applying, I'm sure they can't hold it against applicants who can't visit; I just wonder whether visiting demonstrates an interest in the program in a positive way.

Thanks for your thoughts!

It's not like applying for undergrad all over again. I don't think admissions knows/cares if you visit. I don't get how you wouldn't be curious enough to visit your home school, but it won't make a difference in your acceptance. Definitely not worth the money to visit the OOS schools.

You are NOT behind!!! Please don't think you have to have started already. Do what works for you, not everyone else. (I think I started mine sometime in July).

Thank you!!!!! I have a timeline that I think will work for me, but everytime I see this thread it makes me panic a bit. :p

Thank you!!!!! I have a timeline that I think will work for me, but everytime I see this thread it makes me panic a bit. :p

Word. SDN peeps are nuts. We are like overprepared for everything :p
Try to stick with your own agenda. It might not be a bad idea to ignore this thread for a while until you're ready to dive in. You can always read up on past posts- they're not going anywhere ;) G'luck :luck:

You guys are seriously making me feel behind! I've signed up and looked at all the screens, but haven't filled out anything yet. I don't even know who my 3rd eLOR is going to be! :eek:

Question about the VMRCVM supplemental: Are we required to do that in 1 sitting or can we save it and go back to it later? I swear I remember reading that you couldn't save and return, but I can't find that again for the life of me. Anyone know?

I remember reading about that for VMRCVM too, that the supplemental doesn't save. I'll see if I can find where that was from.

EDIT: Found it!

The online application form must be completed in one sitting. You will not be able to save your online application to complete it at a later time.
from http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/acad/dvm/req.asp#steps. And the dates on that page are right, so it's current.

If it's the same as it was last year, it has to be done all at once. It's not very intensive, though; I think it took me about 30 minutes to do.

Thank you equineconstant and hopefulinva! I knew I hadn't made that up, and I'm glad to know it isn't very time consuming. I'll bookmark that page right now.

Thanks again to both of you! SDN is the best resource ever! I can't imagine going through all this without the support from this forum.

Thank you equineconstant and hopefulinva! I knew I hadn't made that up, and I'm glad to know it isn't very time consuming. I'll bookmark that page right now.

Thanks again to both of you! SDN is the best resource ever! I can't imagine going through all this without the support from this forum.

You're welcome! And yeah, SDN is awesome. :love:

I don't get how you wouldn't be curious enough to visit your home school[/QUOTE said:
I've been there with my pet and clients' pets and I know many people who are currently students or who went there for school. So, I've seen parts of it and I've heard tons (enough to know I'd probably rather go somewhere else).