C/O 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm hoping for you expecially, Trem! Cheering for you:

537592-bigthumbnail.jpg

Of course I want everyone else to get in, too! :luck:
:laugh::laugh::laugh: What in the world am I looking at?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

That picture just made my day. :D.

I know I need to step up my game for my GRE.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am actually within close distance to farms (there are miniature horses up the road from me!), so I am going to see if I can get some LA experience.

I definitely LOLed when I saw that you wanted to get large animal experience at a miniature horse farm. "Large animal" is a bit of a misnomer when I've dealt with dogs that are larger than most miniature horses. :laugh::love:

Good luck though! I am friends with an awesome Canadian girl who has been struggling to get into veterinary school. Her school is much more focused on numbers (GPA & GRE) rather than experiences and so she's been having a tough time with applications. There's only like 20 spots for her area. I wish I were Canadian for the tuition, though!

I have a copy of the VMSAR that's 1-2 versions old if anyone wants a free copy to peruse (highlighted & written in but readable). PM me.

Hey all!
Canadian applicant. 23 years old. I have an honours degree in Biology. I then spent a year taking additional undergrad courses with hope to improve my grades. This will be my third time applying.

My application is not due until November. Right now, I am starting to think about re-writing the GRE.

I do not have high hopes of getting an interview this time around. My grades are what is holding me back. All of my other assets are not evaluated unless I get an interview. :oops:.

This year, I will be taking a break from school to work because my debt is quite massive. I cannot afford to spend another year trying to improve my marks. I am going to let some of my science courses expire and re-take a year from now. My biology marks are excellent. Chemistry and physics wrecked me. I tried taking upper level chemistry and physics classes last year to improve my marks and my average did not even budge. Yet, somehow I made A's in everything else. :p.

I am working in a molecular biology lab this summer. If my position is extended until the winter, I am going to look into volunteering again. I am actually within close distance to farms (there are miniature horses up the road from me!), so I am going to see if I can get some LA experience. Also, my boyfriend recently made connections with a wildlife rehabilitation centre to do some photography, so I am allowed to tag along with him when he goes.

So, best of luck C/O 2017. :luck: I will be checking back periodically!!

I just wanted to add that the application criteria for the school I am allowed to apply to is very different from most of the schools in the states, based on what I have read (just in case some of you wanted to offer me advice based on what I have told you :D). I am not allowed to re-take school courses that are less than 6 years old and graduate level courses do not count towards my GPA for my application. I am getting worn out and broke from lying stagnant in undergrad coursework. I am still planning on applying and improving my application when I can, but I am also exploring other avenues: masters degree, vet tech program, or getting a lab technician certification.

Your dedication and perserverence to veterinary medicine is incredible and I truly hope adcoms will see it this year! They should all be begging to have you! (This girl took a bus for hours all over the damn place just to volunteer!) :thumbup: .... when it wasnt on strike ;)

I was trying to find cheering animals, but I just couldn't pass this one up! :laugh:

:cool: I'm pretty sure they're ninja-kicking the adcoms into admitting SDN applicants... :cool:

Haha. That's actually more of what I was thinking but the words just weren't coming to me. It was a crazy day at the clinic and I still feel like crap so my brain is pretty much dead.

(This girl took a bus for hours all over the damn place just to volunteer!) :thumbup: .... when it wasnt on strike ;)

Haha, you remembered that!
The bus was on strike for 6 weeks, so I did not go in for that. It would have cost me $15 in gas per trip and I was already paying my ride $20 to go to school.
But, yeah, 1.5 hours there, cleaned for 8 hours and 1.25 hours back every Friday.

I haven't actually calculated those hours, but it certainly added a huge chunk to my application.

I definitely LOLed when I saw that you wanted to get large animal experience at a miniature horse farm. "Large animal" is a bit of a misnomer when I've dealt with dogs that are larger than most miniature horses. :laugh::love:

Good luck though! I am friends with an awesome Canadian girl who has been struggling to get into veterinary school. Her school is much more focused on numbers (GPA & GRE) rather than experiences and so she's been having a tough time with applications. There's only like 20 spots for her area. I wish I were Canadian for the tuition, though!

You are right about the miniature horse thing. Haha. There are also goats within walking distance of me too, which are also smaller than dogs!

I know a few people in the same boat as your friend and I.
Canadian tuition IS nice, but if you look into the fact that the only way I can afford to go is to take out a bank loan, it could be a little bit better I guess. I will cross that bridge when I get there though. Unfortunately, money has become a huge factor in what I do with my life.

You are right about the miniature horse thing. Haha. There are also goats within walking distance of me too, which are also smaller than dogs!

I know a few people in the same boat as your friend and I.
Canadian tuition IS nice, but if you look into the fact that the only way I can afford to go is to take out a bank loan, it could be a little bit better I guess. I will cross that bridge when I get there though. Unfortunately, money has become a huge factor in what I do with my life.
Gasp!! Are they pygmy goats?!?! I lurve them so much!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Gasp!! Are they pygmy goats?!?! I lurve them so much!!

They are pretty cute! We had two at the zoo I interned at.

ETA: Based on Abney's description, not Pigmy goats. Thought they got a little taller. Or maybe we did have some...now I'm all confused.

Last edited:
I once went to a petting zoo on crutches and 4 goats came up and started rubbing their heads up and down on the crutches... on an insanely steep hill. I threw the crutches and fell on my arse :laugh:

Hi guys! I'm going to be applying this fall too, and I just wanted to say to anyone having issues with their PS: don't be scared to take advantage of the fact that there are so many supportive people here that have volunteered to help read over statements for us applying for 2017. I sent out my beginning drafts to a few posters on here and they've all given very thorough, super helpful comments and advice. Having so many generous people who are willing to put in time to help out new applicants is an amazing resource, so don't waste it! My statement still has a long way to go, but thanks to editing by SDNers it's developed far from the first mortifying drafts that I was dwelling on at the beginning of this whole process.

Why do I feel like I need a doomsday clock countdown for VMCAS opening up soon... less than 36 hours by now? Good luck to everyone with studying for GREs/summer classes/cramming in some last minute vet experience! Sounds like my ideal type of summer..

Haha, you remembered that!
The bus was on strike for 6 weeks, so I did not go in for that. It would have cost me $15 in gas per trip and I was already paying my ride $20 to go to school.
But, yeah, 1.5 hours there, cleaned for 8 hours and 1.25 hours back every Friday.

I haven't actually calculated those hours, but it certainly added a huge chunk to my application.

Oh man, I remember when you did that. That was AWFUL. I am rooting for you so hard this time around!

Hey, did you guys know that Tuskegee's application is up? I just went on their site to see when it opens and apparently it's already up! Haven't heard anyone talk about it so just thought I'd mention it :)

Afternoon everyone!

So this will be my first time applying and I have a few questions for those who have applied before, or may be knowledgable in the application process.

If I took classes at a community college, do I need to send a transcript from that school if it's been sent to my university before I graduated?

Do you have to calculate your own GPA? If yes, do they have some sort of formula to calculate it?

How important is the explain anything on your transcript section? Does it involve as much effort as the personal statement?

Is anything from high school (grades, rank, awards, honors, etc.) asked for?

That's all I can think of right now...I just don't want anymore surprises to stress me out when VMCAs open tomorrow!

Afternoon everyone!

So this will be my first time applying and I have a few questions for those who have applied before, or may be knowledgable in the application process.

If I took classes at a community college, do I need to send a transcript from that school if it's been sent to my university before I graduated?

Do you have to calculate your own GPA? If yes, do they have some sort of formula to calculate it?

How important is the explain anything on your transcript section? Does it involve as much effort as the personal statement?

Is anything from high school (grades, rank, awards, honors, etc.) asked for?

That's all I can think of right now...I just don't want anymore surprises to stress me out when VMCAs open tomorrow!
Yes you need to send those transcripts

It asks specifically for overall GPA and last 45 GPA etc, a lot of school have their own calculations that they do.

There is an explain yourself section that is good to mention anything less that stellar o your transcripts but you CAN also address it in your PS. Don't stress overly much on it though.

Yes, include honors and awards, extra curriculars etc from high school.

I am reapplying this year and these are the things I have learned lol

Yes you need to send those transcripts

It asks specifically for overall GPA and last 45 GPA etc, a lot of school have their own calculations that they do.

There is an explain yourself section that is good to mention anything less that stellar o your transcripts but you CAN also address it in your PS. Don't stress overly much on it though.

Yes, include honors and awards, extra curriculars etc from high school.

I am reapplying this year and these are the things I have learned lol

Thank you so much! Now I just need to figure out how they calculated GPA at my university...

I'm always so glad that everyone is so helpful here :) noobs can be frustratingly redundant sometimes (me) haha

VMCAS opens tomorrow?

I literally just squealed out loud for you guys. I'm so excited for all of you.

This is such a wonderfully horrifying time and it will cause you the better part of a year's worth of stress but own it like the rite of passage it is - because once you get in, baby, it's worth every panicked moment and every single tear.

I'm rootin' for all of ya! :xf::xf::xf:

VMCAS opens tomorrow?

I literally just squealed out loud for you guys. I'm so excited for all of you.

This is such a wonderfully horrifying time and it will cause you the better part of a year's worth of stress but own it like the rite of passage it is - because once you get in, baby, it's worth every panicked moment and every single tear.

I'm rootin' for all of ya! :xf::xf::xf:
tumblr_m494g4LDO61rnvsay.gif

Application opens in 4 hours!!!! Ahhh! :claps:

On a different note: I know we've talked about GRE study guides before, but could someone recommend a great guide for the new math? I'm taking it one more time and figure that the math stuff should be easiest to improve, and I really need to brush up on my statistics. Thanks for any suggestions!

Application opens in 4 hours!!!! Ahhh! :claps:

On a different note: I know we've talked about GRE study guides before, but could someone recommend a great guide for the new math? I'm taking it one more time and figure that the math stuff should be easiest to improve, and I really need to brush up on my statistics. Thanks for any suggestions!

I took the new GRE about two weeks ago and plan on taking it again in August. I just bought the Princeton Review 2013 study guide and I dig it so far.

I took the new GRE about two weeks ago and plan on taking it again in August. I just bought the Princeton Review 2013 study guide and I dig it so far.

Thanks! Does the Princeton Review book give you a lot of examples and practice problems? I used their small book for the old GRE, and it had some handy tricks, but I didn't feel like I got a good review.

Does it affect you negatively if schools see that you've taken the GRE multiple times?

1hr 15 minutes AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

:laugh::love:

So soooooooon!!!

I was definitely one of the crazy people who wrote their personal statement in my spring semester before applying :). Definitely made the process less stressful for me, but I have never been one for last-minute assignments.

Don't feel like searching for the "PS readers" thread, but anyone is welcome to PM me. I was spoiled by having my English professor uncle help edit it with me :thumbup:

It's open!!!!!

:luck: Right back at you! Good luck everyone! :luck:

I hate this damn thing already. But good luck to everyone! Hope to a) get in and b) have some of you as classmates next year!!! And extra good luck to the multiple time applicants!

Just started my app!!:D
It seems silly that I have to enter every class I ever took into the system. Won't they get those with my transcripts? Crazy.
Good luck everyone!!

Already filled out the first two parts! granted, they were the easy ones... but still! so excited and nervous for this application! good luck everybody!:luck:

Already filled out the first two parts! granted, they were the easy ones... but still! so excited and nervous for this application! good luck everybody!:luck:

Haha, sure, easy, but I can't complete them yet! My family's about to move so I'm not sure how to fill out the address (maybe I can still use the old address since we're not selling the house yet? ...it's complicated), and I don't want to fill out my age until my birthday in July so that it will be accurate when I send it. And I don't want to complete just parts of a section...I guess I'm just being weird about it. ^^;;;

Haha, sure, easy, but I can't complete them yet! My family's about to move so I'm not sure how to fill out the address (maybe I can still use the old address since we're not selling the house yet? ...it's complicated), and I don't want to fill out my age until my birthday in July so that it will be accurate when I send it. And I don't want to complete just parts of a section...I guess I'm just being weird about it. ^^;;;

When I filled it out I just put the age I'd be when I submitted it, and used my current address - I was studying abroad in the fall and unsure where I'd be living in the spring, so I just updated the school with my new address when I got it.

When I filled it out I just put the age I'd be when I submitted it, and used my current address - I was studying abroad in the fall and unsure where I'd be living in the spring, so I just updated the school with my new address when I got it.

Good advice, thanks! ...I honestly don't know why I didn't just think of putting my age post-birthday in the first place. :rolleyes:

Hi everyone just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a (mostly) lurker and current c/o 2017 hopeful. I'm non-traditional and applying to LSU. Good luck to everyone 

I was in class with the VMCAS opened, but I spent my lunch break between classes filling out the easy stuff. I forgot how long this thing actually took to fill out! Filling in course grades are such a pain! :laugh:

I was in class with the VMCAS opened, but I spent my lunch break between classes filling out the easy stuff. I forgot how long this thing actually took to fill out! Filling in course grades are such a pain! :laugh:

I didn't even sign up until late August last year... you guys are on a ROLL! :eek: