c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That kind of is hard to believe...that's the equivalent of a full time job. Just saying ;)
Well, I had to practice exactly 30 hours a week, year round, for my college team... Plus traveling for meets several times a month. I did that on top of classes and ECs, so technically it couldddd be possible for her to be with her horses 40 hours a week.

EDIT: I NEVER slept however... Literally, maybe 4-5 hours a night all four years.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else stuck on their PS? I have one written.....but I'm not sure I like it.....I'm afraid its too much repeating my experiences and not enough answering the question.....I LOVE my intro, but the body sucks. Even after 6 drafts :/

I'm having other people look at it, but I just needed to rant for a moment, as I sit here on a Saturday night working on it :p

Anyone else stuck on their PS? I have one written.....but I'm not sure I like it.....I'm afraid its too much repeating my experiences and not enough answering the question.....I LOVE my intro, but the body sucks. Even after 6 drafts :/

I'm having other people look at it, but I just needed to rant for a moment, as I sit here on a Saturday night working on it :p

At least you have started :) Every time I sit down to write it I get a block or distract myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least you have started :) Every time I sit down to write it I get a block or distract myself.

I was like that for a while, but I took my old writing trick and made myself just start typing, even if it was about stupid stuff, "I love dogs. Dogs are fun. Cats are cool too. Horses are pretty. Cows make strange noises" etc, things like that, got me started.....it also helped that my internet was down for a day so I didn't have FB or SDN to distract me ;)

I'm having a similar problem. I think I'll have to scrap most of it and start over again. I know most of the general topics I want to talk about, but I need to organize it better, focus more on the prompt (especially on my goals/objectives), and use specific examples to avoid repeating my experiences.

Yes. Every time I have an "Aha! moment" I seem to be driving. And by the time I get somewhere that I can sit and write...nothing :bang:

Last edited:
Don't forget about the PS reader thread for those of you struggling! (Though I'm sure some of you have taken advantage already.) I've just been getting requests from pre-med students lately, gimme some pre-vetties please!

I don't know if this is obvious to anyone else, but if I am entering my senior year of undergrad this fall, and I plan to turn in the app this summer between junior and senior year, does that make me a junior or a senior?

Senior. You're a rising senior now, and in the fall when they're reading your app you'll very clearly be a senior.

I know what you mean; I haven't even decided yet if I'm going to use my one from last year or not. I was told during my file review that it was "okay," but I was pretty meh about it even before submitting it. I know I'm going to at least edit it if I keep it, but I can't decide what parts of it I really do and don't like.

Quick question for anyone who's done VIDA before, when it asks for a doctor/scientist who did you put in there? I worked with 4 doctors total so I'm not really sure if I should just put the program's name or pick a doctor specifically.

Yes. Every time I have an "Aha! moment" I seem to be driving. And by the time I get somewhere that I can sit and write...nothing :bang:

Last this i did my personal statement I would either carry a recorder around or use my phone to capture ideas if I was not near a computer.

I read my friend's statement for dental school and got some ideas as far as format and others things.

Quick question for anyone who's done VIDA before, when it asks for a doctor/scientist who did you put in there? I worked with 4 doctors total so I'm not really sure if I should just put the program's name or pick a doctor specifically.

I'm putting the lead Dr (who did the orientation lessons) for mine.

Hey 18ers! If anyone is interested in lab animal med, I suggest you go check out the Missouri 2018 thread! A very awesome 2014er just posted a review of lab animal med at Mizzou!!

--- brought to you by your SDN Mizzou recruiter ( bahahaha lol )

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey 18ers! If anyone is interested in lab animal med, I suggest you go check out the Missouri 2018 thread! A very awesome 2014er just posted a review of lab animal med at Mizzou!!

--- brought to you by your SDN Mizzou recruiter ( bahahaha lol )

:thumbup: Mizzou should officially hire you in that capacity, Kpowell. You fit the bill perfectly :)

:thumbup: Mizzou should officially hire you in that capacity, Kpowell. You fit the bill perfectly :)

Haha lol I'm very passionate about my new school! I really wanna be a school ambassador once i get there and get going!

Has anyone heard back from VMCAS if you sent them a question regarding the application? I know that it is the first week and they are super busy, but I may have to call them...

The good news: I have my 3 LORs locked down

The bad news: Personal Statement and GRE...

I hope things have been working out well for you guys :love:

I just have a few questions.. Since VMCAS seems to be behind on responding to questions.. I was hoping if any of you guys can answer for me.

First of all, Do you send GRE scores directly to schools or do you do it through VMCAS? I'm a little confused about that.

Also, people mentioned that we can apply Tufts directly instead of going through VMCAS. Does that still hold true?

Lastly, do you need to send in one transcript to VMCAS for all the schools that you are applying to?

It would be great if any of you guys can answer these questions. Sorry if these questions have been posted before. I'm very new at this website :scared:

I've emailed them last week but they still haven't gotten back to me. I'm thinking they probably won't get back to me until a few weeks later..

I hope things have been working out well for you guys :love:

I just have a few questions.. Since VMCAS seems to be behind on responding to questions.. I was hoping if any of you guys can answer for me.

First of all, Do you send GRE scores directly to schools or do you do it through VMCAS? I'm a little confused about that.

Also, people mentioned that we can apply Tufts directly instead of going through VMCAS. Does that still hold true?

Lastly, do you need to send in one transcript to VMCAS for all the schools that you are applying to?

It would be great if any of you guys can answer these questions. Sorry if these questions have been posted before. I'm very new at this website :scared:

Previous years you have sent the GRE scores directly to the school and I do not think that has changed at all (and someone else please correct me if it is has changed).

As far as transcripts go, you just have to send one copy (from every school that you HAVE attended) to VMCAS. From what I understand, they will send copies to the schools you have applied to with your application. However, I would double check the school websites/adcom to confirm that they do not want additional copies.

Lastly, Tufts does not utilize the VMCAS system. You have to do their application (I believe it is listed on their website) straight through them.

Good Luck!

Previous years you have sent the GRE scores directly to the school and I do not think that has changed at all (and someone else please correct me if it is has changed).

As far as transcripts go, you just have to send one copy (from every school that you HAVE attended) to VMCAS. From what I understand, they will send copies to the schools you have applied to with your application. However, I would double check the school websites/adcom to confirm that they do not want additional copies.

Lastly, Tufts does not utilize the VMCAS system. You have to do their application (I believe it is listed on their website) straight through them.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much! That helped me so much :thumbup: I was just wondering about Tufts because it is listed on VMCAS website.. so I didn't want to pay extra money on it if I have to apply directly.

So I finally heard back from VMCAS about how to record my hours and they basically said to check with the schools I am applying to and see what they say. So, I guess if all else fails... ask the schools directly.

I sent them 2 emails late last week and they haven't responded yet. I'm hesitant to bother schools about a VMCAS issue, but I may have to. Frustrating.

I sent them 2 emails late last week and they haven't responded yet. I'm hesitant to bother schools about a VMCAS issue, but I may have to. Frustrating.

I found that calling them worked better, but maybe that was just me.

Is this something new? 2016 cycle we definitely had to sent transcripts to each school on our own.

Is this something new? 2016 cycle we definitely had to sent transcripts to each school on our own.

It's new. I contacted all of my schools and only one still wants official transcripts sent with the supplemental.

That's awesome for y'all!

Except VMCAS is now due a month earlier...

Well, not really... due date is still 10/2, but VMCAS has to verify transcripts which can take 4 weeks or longer and all application materials must be submitted before transcript verification will begin. So essentially the due date is now September and I have a feeling this might move vet school to rolling type admissions like med school.

I think Cornell, NCSU, Colorado, Uni of Wisconsin don't interview? but i could be wrong....

This is completely off topic but your profile pic thingy is absolutely adorable. It makes me go awwww every time I see it.

Thanks! :D They're the internet's puppies not mine however, my dal was a puppy before digital cameras.

Rather certain Washington State does interview. Considering that I interviewed there twice when I applied.

:thumbup: I'm certain that Washington State interviews for residents of Washington, Idaho, and Utah. Not sure about the OOS pool and WICHE. DVM Dream...which pool were you?

:thumbup: I'm certain that Washington State interviews for residents of Washington, Idaho, and Utah. Not sure about the OOS pool and WICHE. DVM Dream...which pool were you?

OOS. They interview OOS applicants. Don't think they interview WICHE but I could be wrong... I only applied one year via WICHE and didn't get WICHE, but got an OOS interview.

My bad, you guys are right. WSU does interview!

How are applications going for everyone? I am hoping better than me... I am in a rut right now and my brain has completely turned off the application process.

How are applications going for everyone? I am hoping better than me... I am in a rut right now and my brain has completely turned off the application process.

OK :) I'm taking the GRE in 2 weeks so between that and summer courses I'm studying a lot, but I work on the apps when I can. I figure that I'll be able to focus solely on apps from August on. I'm also still waiting on some transcripts so that I can enter my coursework.

When I get in a rut I go for a long walk/hike as I find that it clears my head and helps me think things through (grounds me). I hope your brain gets inspired soon! :D

Done with VMCAS, still working on Tuskegee and still have all supplemental apps to do

I'm about halfway through the VMCAS but haven't started to rewrite my personal statement, got my eLORS, or began on the essays for the supplementals. Hopefully I'll have some motivation soon. I hope you get out of your rut soon!

Done with VMCAS, sent all of my official transcripts to VMCAS, sent my official residency paperwork to my IS school, waiting on my LORs, finished Mizzou's supplemental, and waiting for my other schools (Washington State [June 19th], NCSU [July 18th], and Wisconsin [Novmember]) to make their supplemental apps available.

This is probably a dumb question that I just can't find the answer to. I sent my transcript to VMCAS a week ago...how do I know if they got it?