c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's a good idea. If I don't get in this cycle, I'll try contacting them directly. I would also need to take animal science, which I hadn't planned on. I'm already considering whether or not to take animal nutrition so that I can apply to a couple other schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Yay for all the Ohio State apps!! Hope to see some of you there very soon! I also have a soft spot for Purdue (my IS and undergrad) and Mizzou, but decided that OSU was the best fit for me :) Good luck to you all this cycle!

That's a good idea. If I don't get in this cycle, I'll try contacting them directly. I would also need to take animal science, which I hadn't planned on. I'm already considering whether or not to take animal nutrition so that I can apply to a couple other schools.

If you get into UF, you can take both animal science and animal nutrition AFTER you are accepted. They just have to be done over the summer before you matriculate. MANY people do this, so it's not an issue. Not trying to be pushy, just wanted to let you know. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was about to suggest this. :) Our shelter med program is insane. :thumbup:
Call Lynette Chapparo and ask about genetics. Sometimes they are lenient. They were for me on biochem. And I think we have increased OOS seats quite a bit.
Worth a shot to call at least. :shrug:

Emiloo4, do you happen to have an idea if they may be lenient with Microbiology? I'm taking it at CC. Biochem and genetics are at a 4 year school.

If you get into UF, you can take both animal science and animal nutrition AFTER you are accepted. They just have to be done over the summer before you matriculate. MANY people do this, so it's not an issue. Not trying to be pushy, just wanted to let you know. :)

That's really good to know - I had crossed UF off my list because I didn't want to take Animal Nutrition (because a good majority of the schools I'm interested in don't require it). Obviously, if I was to be accepted, that would be a good reason to take it!!

Less than 24 hours to go until VMCAS opens!! :eek:

Ugh. I need to rewrite mine since last year but I'm going to wait until I finish microbio in July. It's the only thing on VMCAS that I actually need to worry about for this application cycle. I strongly dislike writing T____T;;

I brainstormed, wrote the intro and conclusion in my head (I'm sure they'll change a lot) and have proofers lined up, but am waiting to see the exact instructions (tomorrow! :eek: ) before actually writing it. I also looked over some sample supplementals to get an idea of what I'll have to write for them.

My file reviewer said my personal statement was pretty good and that i'll just need to add my new stuff when the time comes. If anyone wants to take a look at it just pm me and i'll send it to you. It was definitely hard for me to write it for the first time and it helped having examples.

I've already been through 4 (really horrible!) drafts, and I finally came up with an idea I like...I just have to make it work, or choose something a bit easier to pull together.

I feel like mine is done...i started writing it early may and i had some veterinarians I work with read it and was told to get my grammatical errors fixed so I went to the writing center at my school and now that I have revised Im just waiting for the final ok from them and a couple friends in vet school now before I upload it

Emiloo4, do you happen to have an idea if they may be lenient with Microbiology? I'm taking it at CC. Biochem and genetics are at a 4 year school.

They are pretty accepting of CC credits. I've even had one of the admissions officers tell me they encourage it to save money. I have no way of giving you a straight answer on that though. :( They are VERY nice so I would just suggest calling them with questions like that. They were lenient with me on something that was pretty far out of my control so I can't say they will be for everyone, but I found out it never hurts to ask. Even though I was terrified and didn't make the call for a month and a half :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you still in UG- utilize your schools writing lab!!! I was terrified to ask for help, and even a little embarrassed but it was the best decision I ever made. Tuition is expensive, so put your money to good use and go get help with your PS!!!

I brain stormed and just basically free wrote about my experiences, and the reasons I wanted to be a doctor and after weeks of tweaking and having people read my drafts it turned into something I really liked.

Side note- I can't believe it's time for the app to open already, where has the time gone?

The personal statement is hard. I've been plugging away at it as well. I outlined my ideas, but it's still difficult to make it simultaneously interesting, informative, attention grabbing, etc. while answering the prompt. Also, using the on campus writing resources is a good idea, thanks for the tip, guys.

I've also run into a bit of a problem. The vet I'd planned on getting a LOR from was fired (shelter politics are no fun), and I have no way of reaching her. And I wouldn't want to bother her right now anyway. I'll be volunteering at a clinic over the summer, and maybe doing some shadowing, so I suppose I'll be interacting with some vets. I guess I'll have to ask one of them for a letter, but I won't know them very well.

In other news, it looks like Western eliminated their speech prerequisite.

I'm not doing the VMCAS thing since I'm only applying to UCVM and WCVM (Canadian and can't afford the international tuition at US schools unless I win the lottery!) but best of luck to all of you that are now buckling down and getting at it! My own time of stress will come and you'll all hear all about it....

Ugh, I have not even started my personal statement yet...

I've also run into a bit of a problem. The vet I'd planned on getting a LOR from was fired (shelter politics are no fun), and I have no way of reaching her.

OMG, I'm in the same boat! I've been trying to hunt her down to no immediate avail. I saw her at an event recently and can kick myself now for not getting contact info from her. Ugh. But I shall not give up! :ninja:

Well I guess I know what I'm doing before work today. Going to turn something stupid on netflix and start plowing away at the VMCAS. Good luck everyone! Hopefully third time is the charm for me :laugh:

Was she with a specific organization there or just a guest like you? If she was with an organization, call them and ask to speak with her. I hope you find her.

Was she with a specific organization there or just a guest like you? If she was with an organization, call them and ask to speak with her. I hope you find her.

It was an anti-BSL rally. There have been/are other vets at the clinic for me to ask, but I worked with her for a "significant" amount of time. I'm sure I'll find her eventually - our six degrees aren't too separated :cool:

And good luck! Hopefully you'll watch some Game of Thrones or something cool like that... Did anyone see this week's episode?????????

Holy s*** G of T was absolutely CRAY CRAY. I knew what was going to happen but still couldn't believe it when it did!

:eek: <---- my face at the end of last weeks episode of GoT. I need to start reading the books haha. My heart was not prepared for that ending ending! :( . All of my faith is with House Targaryen now!

Starting freak out because not only do I have to worry about VMCAS and studying for the GRE, I have to look for a summer internship for my program :/ I thought I had one in the bag, but they gave it to another classmate of mine :bang:

Yay... more sleepless nights...

I love how this went from personal statements to GoT :D

I love how this went from personal statements to GoT :D

Ditto...and its Killing me because I've not seen any of this ssn....I'm waiting to have a Marathon until my App is done (to keep me from procrastinating) .......you guys aren't helping my cause ;) It doesn't help that I've read all the books so I know the ending everyone is freaking out about (I didn't like those characters anyway!!) and I'm DYEING to see how they pulled it off in film!!!!!

Woohoo! Got through most of my coursework. Putting 122 credits worth of info in by hand sucks. I can't wait until that's automated lol

Starting freak out because not only do I have to worry about VMCAS and studying for the GRE

same boat. i was doing really well studying for GRE and then VMCAS opened...GRE definitely falling on the priorities list as the excitement of VMCAS builds. ahhh!

i was doing really well studying for GRE and then VMCAS opened...GRE definitely falling on the priorities list as the excitement of VMCAS builds. ahhh!

^^ Story of my life:laugh:

is it too early to make c/o 2018 applicants for each school? im tempted... I'm applying to Mizzou and U of I. where is everyone else applying?

^^ Story of my life:laugh:

is it too early to make c/o 2018 applicants for each school? im tempted... I'm applying to Mizzou and U of I. where is everyone else applying?

Do it! Do it!!

( I will guiltily be very active on the Mizzou thread hahaha )

Woohoo! Got through most of my coursework. Putting 122 credits worth of info in by hand sucks. I can't wait until that's automated lol

I think that it took me about 2 hours or so to put mine in. I have a couple of them that I may have to change, but they are all in. I think that was the most time consuming part.

it is a good idea to waive my right to read evaluations right?

it is a good idea to waive my right to read evaluations right?

Yes, it is always a good idea to waive your right to view an evaluation. Otherwise, the evaluator is biased in terms of what he or she might say about you. With a blind review, the evaluator is free to say what he or she wishes- both good and bad (an honest evaluation mentions a mix of positive and negative qualities, obviously weighted towards the positive end of the spectrum). When an applicant doesn't waive his or her rights, this mental screen of 'I can say whatever I'd like about this individual because he or she will never actually see it' is removed. In my mind, I would never ask an evaluator to review me without waving my rights to view the letter. If you really know the evaluator and he or she knows you, there should be nothing to hide from either end. Actually, if you really know yourself, you should pretty much be able to write your own evaluation- including both your negative and positive qualities.

All the 2018 threads are starting! Makes me all excited for you guys :D

Anyone know, do we have to input EVERY course we took in college?

...thats a lot...:eek:

Anyone know, do we have to input EVERY course we took in college?

...thats a lot...:eek:
Yes. You must list EVERY course taken at EVERY university/community college you may have attended. I am not sure how the new VMCAS application works, but last year I had to input my AP classes from high school as well. That section takes a long time!!

My coursework is done! Quick question, I was told to add my orchestra and dance stuff from high school into the apps. Would that go under community experiences? I feel odd adding them too...

My coursework is done! Quick question, I was told to add my orchestra and dance stuff from high school into the apps. Would that go under community experiences? I feel odd adding them too...

Well, the community experiences does say to include sports and hobbies.

Yes, all of your extracurriculars, like sports, arts, community service (anything not vet/research related or honors/awards you received), go under the community experiences section.

Ok, just wanted to double check. Thanks guys!