Quantcast
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is it okay to send a thank you card with a casual feel to it?

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yes, but make sure there are not any jokes on it.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Yes, but no jokes, no cartoons

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No, this is not the time or place to be casual. (please suggest another option below)

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Im76at711

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
hey,

what kind of thank you cards do you all suggesting sending? I found a few really nice ones, but I did feel like they were too casual (one of them had a really funny joke about medicine, but it was a get well soon card :-(...)

I found another one that had a cartoon character on it which I really liked, that one was not too formal nor too overly casual.

There were others that had like angelic flowers and bull**** on them that were super duper formal and very bland.
I would most prefer to find one that is cultural and has a creative twist to it, but I also do not want them to think I am taking this all as a joke.

also can any of you provide me your experience with them?

samac

Tinfoil hoarder, Rojo extraordinaire
7+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
Reaction score
Just go buy a pack of generic blank thank you cards, they usually have flowers on them or something like that, and write your own note in them. Mention something specific you all discussed.

Reactions: 1 users

BeMD13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just buy a pack of blank cards with a design you like on the front and write your own thank you message. Most thank you notes I've seen either remind me of small children or grandmas.

Glandzburg

| EM PGY-2 |
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't take the gamble that your humor won't be taken the right way. A thank you card won't help you, so why take even a very small risk that it could hurt you? Weigh the risk and reward. Going generic if you must send one, or not sending one at all, are your safest bets.

Reactions: 1 user

thatwouldbeanarchy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any harm in sending one as long as you keep the card itself generic (in terms of design). I chose cards that said "Thank you" on the front with a flower and were blank inside. I thanked each interviewer for taking the time to speak with me and mentioned 1 thing I appreciated about our conversation (specific questions they answered, positive feedback they gave me, etc.).

I agree that it's not going to make or break your acceptance but it can be a nice touch. Definitely not necessary, though, so I don't think it's worth stressing about.

whitemagic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wait, are thank you cards supposed to be physical cards? I sent mine all via email....

DokterMom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank You cards (that contain the pre-printed words 'Thank You') are, quite simply, improper. A lovely card with no writing on it or letterhead is the proper stationary. You write your own sentiments in a few quick sentences.

Email has become acceptable

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank You cards (that contain the pre-printed words 'Thank You') are, quite simply, improper. A lovely card with no writing on it or letterhead is the proper stationary. You write your own sentiments in a few quick sentences.

Email has become acceptable
Just curious...but why? Their script is far more palatable to the eye than my own. Of course I would include my own sentiments, but what makes the pre-printing improper?

DokterMom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...but why? Their script is far more palatable to the eye than my own. Of course I would include my own sentiments, but what makes the pre-printing improper?

Ask Emily Post or Miss Manners -- I certainly didn't make up that particular inane rule. And frankly, it's so widely disregarded that if you sent a card that said 'Thank You' on it, I wouldn't worry. One of those rules that seems to be so little known as to hardly matter. (Like how your mother, sisters or aunts are not supposed to throw you a shower...)

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ask Emily Post or Miss Manners -- I certainly didn't make up that particular inane rule. And frankly, it's so widely disregarded that if you sent a card that said 'Thank You' on it, I wouldn't worry. One of those rules that seems to be so little known as to hardly matter. (Like how your mother, sisters or aunts are not supposed to throw you a shower...)
Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks!