CCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do realize a 24 is low, which is why I am asking. I will be studying for the exam for a 3rd take, but not sitting for it till my verbal goes up two points

Are you studying differently for it this time? I think you need to approach some new strategies considering that is hasnt gone well in the past. Are you/have you used a prep course?

The other aspects of your app are solid, and could make up for the low score to certain extent, but you are really going to have to bump up that MCAT to give yourself a better chance. You really have to find some new angles of attack.

Members don't see this ad.

People that interviewed on April 1st check your portal, the acceptances are up. I am newly accepted :) :) :)

Anyone else been put on and/or been pulled off of the alt. list? CCOM is my first choice

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else been put on and/or been pulled off of the alt. list? CCOM is my first choice

I'm on the alt list...been on it since November. I dont expect to hear back until May at best.

yes, i am in a shadowing program which includes 76 clinical hrs. In that program, the ER doc is a D.O. and in fact she is a graduate of MWU. Also, my commitee recommendations were all outstandings ( 5 people on the commitee each one gave me an outstanding). I have 2.5 yrs research. 2 yrs at my undergrad school, a sem at a medical school. Am co-authored for a paper and i am a NREMT and volunteer at an underserved clinic.

Apply early and don't give up hope. I got a 24 the first time I took it and the second time was only slightly better. Like you, the rest of my app was solid but I still decided to delay applying until the following year so that I could get everything in early. Turned out to be a huge advantage despite a mediocre MCAT score, lots of interviews and acceptances. Get that app in early!

Apply early and don't give up hope. I got a 24 the first time I took it and the second time was only slightly better. Like you, the rest of my app was solid but I still decided to delay applying until the following year so that I could get everything in early. Turned out to be a huge advantage despite a mediocre MCAT score, lots of interviews and acceptances. Get that app in early!

yeah i plan to have my primary out asap. How bout supplementals? How long did you spend on each one?

hi everyone,

have anyone been accepted with 04/04/11 interview date???:idea:

I would absolutely love to go to Midwestern. If I am fortunate enough to get accepted into CCOM, I probably would consider going here over some MD schools because of the location as well.

yeah i plan to have my primary out asap. How bout supplementals? How long did you spend on each one?

Shoot for a week turnaround time, 2 weeks tops. It might seem overwhelming when they all start rolling in at the same time but as with everything with rolling admissions, the earlier the better.

Shoot for a week turnaround time, 2 weeks tops. It might seem overwhelming when they all start rolling in at the same time but as with everything with rolling admissions, the earlier the better.

ok i will do that. I know it varies but lets say one gets everything in pretty fast, when is the earliest you can find out if your accepted? I mean if you apply that early one should be in the first batch of applications being reviewed, correct? around what time did you find out you got accepted? oct, nov?

Members don't see this ad :)
ok i will do that. I know it varies but lets say one gets everything in pretty fast, when is the earliest you can find out if your accepted? I mean if you apply that early one should be in the first batch of applications being reviewed, correct? around what time did you find out you got accepted? oct, nov?

Late September or early October, it depends on when the admissions has their first meeting and the dean is able to sign off on the acceptances and thus varies a bit year to year.

hi everyone,

have anyone been accepted with 04/04/11 interview date???:idea:

Ahh I interviewed this day too and I'm dying to find out what's going on!! I'm surprised the April 1st people heard back so soon, hopefully we get in!

will be withdrawing my acceptance from here, good luck to those who are waiting!

Ahh I interviewed this day too and I'm dying to find out what's going on!! I'm surprised the April 1st people heard back so soon, hopefully we get in!

I've heard back today via snail mail- placed on the alternate list
its definitely better than being rejected altogether. I'm sure you get an answer any day, my letter was printed on April 13, good luck!!!

I've heard back today via snail mail- placed on the alternate list
its definitely better than being rejected altogether. I'm sure you get an answer any day, my letter was printed on April 13, good luck!!!

BLah, I called today and found out I was on the alternative list also, any idea what happens from here on out?

no clue, I guess we just wait for someone to withdraw

Im putting this out there as a feeler. My family (just my parents and myself) live in Roselle and are interested in finding if anyone would be interested in renting a room in our home. Our house is a 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom 3 car garage home located in a nice part of Roselle.

We are curious to find out if any other midwestern students would be interested in renting. You would have your own room, access to our kitchen etc... just as if you were living here normally. Our house is about 20 mins away from MWU.

Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested or have questions.

I was wondering, for 3rd year rotations, how flexible is it to switch if we get a rotation we do not want? Maybe a better questions is, do most students get their preferences through the lottery?

Also, are 3rd year rotations only done at core sites or can we find & setup our own sites if we have a preference to a certain location out of the network?

What kind of exam follows each rotations. Do you take the MWU created one (which seems like the system AZCOM has) or the standard shelf exams?

Lastly, is there a distinction between ward vs. preceptor rotations at CCOM?

Thanks for your help! :)

I was wondering, for 3rd year rotations, how flexible is it to switch if we get a rotation we do not want? Maybe a better questions is, do most students get their preferences through the lottery?

Also, are 3rd year rotations only done at core sites or can we find & setup our own sites if we have a preference to a certain location out of the network?

What kind of exam follows each rotations. Do you take the MWU created one (which seems like the system AZCOM has) or the standard shelf exams?

Lastly, is there a distinction between ward vs. preceptor rotations at CCOM?

Thanks for your help! :)
Some people luck out and get the rotations they want, others don't. It's hard to say if people are happy over all with them or not. I think it is more accurate that everyone might get one or two rotations they don't want. You can request new rotations but a better way to go about it is switching 1 for 1 with another student.

Third year rotations are generally done at core rotations sites. You do get one elective rotation third year but I think it still has to be done in state. (I could be wrong on this)

CCOM uses NBME shelf exams for the core rotations.

There isn't a distinction as far as filling requirements but you have the option of doing things like FM at a hospital or a outpatient clinic. Things like surgery and OB/GYN mostly wards.

Hope this helps.

Some people luck out and get the rotations they want, others don't. It's hard to say if people are happy over all with them or not. I think it is more accurate that everyone might get one or two rotations they don't want. You can request new rotations but a better way to go about it is switching 1 for 1 with another student.

Third year rotations are generally done at core rotations sites. You do get one elective rotation third year but I think it still has to be done in state. (I could be wrong on this)

CCOM uses NBME shelf exams for the core rotations.

There isn't a distinction as far as filling requirements but you have the option of doing things like FM at a hospital or a outpatient clinic. Things like surgery and OB/GYN mostly wards.

Hope this helps.

Core rotations have to be done at our sites unless there's some extenuating circumstance (i.e. terminal illness in family), in which case Midwestern will work with you. I'm pretty sure the elective 3rd year is like any of your 4th yr electives. It can be done anywhere, you just have to set it up yourself or you can use it as your vacation.

I interviewed on the first available interview date (9/17) and was accepted the first day they sent out acceptances (10/7).

So I was accepted into CCOM, and my grades like most people's do have slipped this last semester senior year. I was wondering if anyone knew to what extent this matters. Of course your overall GPA still has to be above a certain point I believe which isnt that bad. But if you get Cs and or Ds does it potentially impact your acceptance?

Looking forward to seeing the alt list move along. Anyone have an idea when exactly this might happen?

TeamZissou and edrunner27, thanks for the info! :)

Another quickie, how far apart (distance/time wise) are the core rotation sites? The map they gave us during interviews showed a large range within Chicago and its suburbs. Can I live in one place and have a reasonable drive to each of my rotation spots, or will I need to move? Thanks again!

Looking forward to seeing the alt list move along. Anyone have an idea when exactly this might happen?

I've heard from an unofficial source, that the list isn't open until sometime in May

TeamZissou and edrunner27, thanks for the info! :)

Another quickie, how far apart (distance/time wise) are the core rotation sites? The map they gave us during interviews showed a large range within Chicago and its suburbs. Can I live in one place and have a reasonable drive to each of my rotation spots, or will I need to move? Thanks again!

That's part of how you request your rotations. People usually try to get sites that are generally close to one area where they plan on living. That being said I know of some people who have to travel to a site an hour away from where they will be living and most people have one rotation that isn't close to their desired area. There are some that are further and have housing for students there but those are definitely not the majority.

Succinctly... You probably won't have to move if you request sites wisely.

ROOMMATE NEEDED! Hey everyone me and my roommates are looking for one more person to join us in "the fortress" on 418 Wilson street in downers grove. Guy or girl, rent is $600 a month and there will be 5 other roommates to split utilities with. All other roommates are also med students of various years at CCOM. If you're interested just message me!

So I was accepted into CCOM, and my grades like most people's do have slipped this last semester senior year. I was wondering if anyone knew to what extent this matters. Of course your overall GPA still has to be above a certain point I believe which isnt that bad. But if you get Cs and or Ds does it potentially impact your acceptance?

I am also curious about this. My biochem professor(s) are f'ing ridiculous and the worst professors I've ever had and I'm likely to get a C in the course. Hopefully this wont get my acceptance rescinded.

I am also curious about this. My biochem professor(s) are f'ing ridiculous and the worst professors I've ever had and I'm likely to get a C in the course. Hopefully this wont get my acceptance rescinded.

C's are ok as long as you don't fail a course.

That's part of how you request your rotations. People usually try to get sites that are generally close to one area where they plan on living. That being said I know of some people who have to travel to a site an hour away from where they will be living and most people have one rotation that isn't close to their desired area. There are some that are further and have housing for students there but those are definitely not the majority.

Succinctly... You probably won't have to move if you request sites wisely.

Thanks TeamZissou!

Good luck everyone on your finals, and to the second years on your boards! :)

Any news about the alternate list?? I hate this waiting game.. :(

they will not start pulling from the alternate list until late may/early june...at least that is when it has started moving in past years.

if you ahev not already sent a letter of intent i HIGHLY reccomend doing that

Yup, the waiting list moved this Wednesday. Just got accepted! As far as I know, 2-3 others got accepted.

Congrats!! Just wondering, When was your interview?

Thank you. My interview was March 11th. Best of luck to you guys still waiting. I know it is really painful.

Interviewed Apr 4, sent a LOI May 13 (gave them an update and wrote about our fit - made it personal to my situation and how I liked the school on interview day), accepted May 18. I'm excited to be joining CCOM! :)

Good luck to the rest who are on the waitlist! :thumbup:

Interviewed Apr 4, sent a LOI May 13 (gave them an update and wrote about our fit - made it personal to my situation and how I liked the school on interview day), accepted May 18. I'm excited to be joining CCOM! :)

Good luck to the rest who are on the waitlist! :thumbup:

Congrats! I interviewed the same day as you :) Im still waiting to get off the alternate list. You said you sent in your LOI on May 13th? I think i sent mine in on April 20th, wondering if I should send another one in?

Just withdraw my acceptance from CCOM this week, hope my spot goes to someone who is waiting. :)

good luck!

Congratz to all that got in, now to share your wisdom:

Does attending their admission tours/events give an applicant a better chance at getting in meaning do they actually remember your name/admission counselors talk to you?

CCOM is my dream DO school because I am from the area and I know many past graduates from CCOM including the DO I shadow and look up to as a mentor.

Yup, the waiting list moved this Wednesday. Just got accepted! As far as I know, 2-3 others got accepted.

I'm just curious how do you know these things??? As far as I know, the Admission Office will not tell you anything, other than "we call you when we have an update on your application".

Does attending their admission tours/events give an applicant a better chance at getting in meaning do they actually remember your name/admission counselors talk to you?

CCOM is my dream DO school because I am from the area and I know many past graduates from CCOM including the DO I shadow and look up to as a mentor.

I am not sure if it gives you a better chance as I did not attend of the tours/events. I'm sure they have those things on record though because I believe they ask whether you have attended such events/tours on the secondary app.

Having said that, tours/events are your last worries in terms of getting in to CCOM. You should have a solid GPA, solid MCAT, and solid Interview. While DO schools have the stigma of being "easier" to get in, their curriculum is just as difficult if not more so since we have to learn about OMM as well. I applied to both MD and DO, and I had to choose which school I wanted to go. Personally, I love the DO philosophy and that's the way I want to go through medical school.

Good luck to you.

I'm just curious how do you know these things??? As far as I know, the Admission Office will not tell you anything, other than "we call you when we have an update on your application".

Yea, admissions don't tell you anything. They never do because they are not suppose to. I know this through facebook. Also, I am in contact with a couple of my fellow interviewees.

My guess is it would be the equivalent to your gpa being 0.01 higher. Having a strong LOR from your mentor is much more likely to benefit you.

I've lost hope for CCOM and it's June 1st...because I just read that it's the most applied to DO school with more than 5,000 applications and extremely selective....more than Western