CCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also was invited this morning after being complete in September. I scheduled for mid-March due to work.

Members don't see this ad.

Do many students live in Forest Park/Oak Park area?

It's cheap, has easy access to the city with the L right there, close to campus, and has a couple little downtowns with restaurants, bars etc. Seems like a great option for students and was curious if Midwesterners live in that area at all.

what is the financial aid and likelihood to receive some sort of scholarship like?

Members don't see this ad :)
what is the financial aid and likelihood to receive some sort of scholarship like?

A few kids get them but they usually require applications and essays for many of them much the same as any other scholarship.

Long story short, don't plan on it unless you're joining the services.

TeamZissou, do you know the stats for CCOM, in terms of apps received, interviews offered and how many accepted from the list of offers?

TeamZissou, do you know the stats for CCOM, in terms of apps received, interviews offered and how many accepted from the list of offers?

Sorry I don't for this year or last year. All I know is for my class and that info I posted on SDN at the time. It was a staggering number of applications though. If you hit the right search terms i'm sure you could find my post with the numbers. I would try to remember but would probably just give out wrong info. The admissions office might be open to sharing the class of 2014's info, but someone would have to ask ;)

For 2013 I think there were over 4000 applications.

Rejected today by email. Booo.

For those still waiting and looking for timeline info, I was complete on 11/19.

Just wondering, how long after the committee meets is the MWU portal typically updated? I think they are meeting today...

Can anyone tell me how Emergency Medicine placement does at this school?

"Can anyone tell me how Emergency Medicine placement does at this school?"

It looks like 25 members of class of 2010 went on into residencies in EM.

Just wondering, how long after the committee meets is the MWU portal typically updated? I think they are meeting today...
Does anyone know the answer to this? I have been checking my portal non-stop hoping for an update!

Does anyone know the answer to this? I have been checking my portal non-stop hoping for an update!

They meet once a month on a Wed. and updated the portal (for December at least they did) the Thursday after.

At my interview they said that they had over 5,000 applications and interview approximately 600 (I think that was it). I am not sure how many accepted from list of offers.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my interview they said that they had over 5,000 applications and interview approximately 600 (I think that was it). I am not sure how many accepted from list of offers.

Hi!
Does any one who recently interviewed have an estimate of how many interview invites CCOM is still sending out? Thanks

Does anyone know how much the on campus apartments are? These are one or two person apts, right? Are there ever openings for new students? If I am accepted I would strongly consider this option but see there are only 48 of them so I am worried they are usually full.

Does anyone know how much the on campus apartments are? These are one or two person apts, right? Are there ever openings for new students? If I am accepted I would strongly consider this option but see there are only 48 of them so I am worried they are usually full.

2010-11 Housing Application

Tours available on Tuesday and Thursday - By Appointment Only - 630-971-6400
3-month (1 Quarter) June 8, 2010-August 27, 2010 9-month (3 Quarter) August 30, 2010 - May 22, 2011 10-month (3 Quarter) July 31, 2010 - May 22, 2011 (CCOM Only) 12-month (4 Quarter) June 8, 2010 - May 22, 2011 Student Housing Assignment Options

Unit preferences: Please indicate your preference. All efforts will be made to honor your requests. However, limited spaces are available. Please indicate your preference by numbering your options 1-17. The number of units in each category is indicated in brackets after the listing.
The Pines - One bedroom apartment [48]

• 3-month contract $2,637/quarter
  • 9-month contract $2,698/quarter ($8,094/contract period)
  • 10-month contract $2,948/quarter ($8,444/contract period)
  • 12-month contract $2,542/quarter ($10,168/contract period)
(Students are also responsible for electric and gas bills.) Redwood Hall 1 - Single w/Private Bath [5]
  • 3 month contract $2,397/quarter
  • 9-month contract $2,619/quarter ($7,857/contract period)
  • 10-month contract $2,861/quarter ($8,583/contract period)
  • 12-month contract $2,340/quarter ($9,360/contract period)
Redwood Hall 1 - Single w/ Shared Bath [80]
  • 3 month contract $2,063/quarter
  • 9-month contract $2,374/quarter ($7,122/contract period)
  • 10-month contract $2,594/quarter ($7,782/contract period)
  • 12-month contract $2,006/quarter ($8,024/contract period)
Redwood Hall 2 - Lower Level Single w/Private Bath [2]
  • 3-month contract $2,508/quarter
  • 9-month contract $2,842/quarter ($8,526/contract period)
  • 10-month contract $3,105/quarter ($9,315/contract period)
  • 12-month contract $2,452/quarter ($9,808/contract period)
Redwood Hall 2 - Lower Level Large Single w/Shared Bath [2]
Redwood Hall 2 - Lower Level Medium Single w/Shared Bath [4]
  • 3-month contract $2,397/quarter
  • 9-month contract $2,619/quarter ($7,857/contract period)
  • 10-month contract $2,861/quarter ($8,583/contract period)
  • 12-month contract $2,340/quarter ($9,360/contract period)
Redwood Hall 2 - First Floor Large Single w/Shared Bath [2]
Redwood Hall 2 - First floor 2-room Suite w/ Private Bath & Living Area [6]
  • 3 month contract $3,119/quarter
  • 9-month contract $3,455/quarter ($10,365/contract period)
  • 10-month contract $3,775/quarter ($11,325/contract period)
  • 12-month contract $3,074/quarter ($12,296/contract period)
Redwood Hall 2 - First floor 2 Bedroom Suite w/ Shared Bath & Living Area [4]
  • 3-month contract $2,450/quarter
  • 9-month contract $2,679/quarter/person ($8,037/contract period)
  • 10-month contract $2,927/quarter/person ($8,781/contract period)
  • 12-month contract $2,396/quarter/person ($9,584 contract period)
Redwood Hall 2 - First floor Large Single w/Private Bath [2]
  • 3-month contract $2,843/quarter
  • 9-month contract $3,344/quarter ($10,032/contract period)
  • 10-month contract $3,653/quarter ($10,959/contract period)
  • 12-month contract $2,786/quarter ($11,144/contract period)
Redwood Hall 2 - First floor Small Single w/Private Bath [2]
  • 9-month contract $2,679/quarter ($8,037/contract period)
  • 10-month contract $2,927/quarter ($8,781/contract period)
  • 12-month contract $2,396/quarter ($9,584/contract period)
Redwood Hall 2 - Floors 2-6 2 Bedroom Suite w/ Shared Bath, & Living Area [10]
  • 9-month contract $2,679/quarter/person ($8,037 contract period)
  • 10-month contract $2,927/quarter/person ($8,781/contract period)
  • 12-month contract $2,396/quarter/person ($9,584 contract period)
Redwood Hall 2 - Floors 2-6 Single w/Private bath [10]
  • 9-month contract $2,679/quarter ($8,037/contract period)
  • 10-month contract $2,927/quarter ($8,781/contract period)
  • 12-month contract $2,396/quarter ($9,584/contract period)

And the on campus housing is for 1st and 2nd years. Hope this helps! :)

2010-11 Housing Application...And the on campus housing is for 1st and 2nd years. Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the info!

My portal just changed yesterday (2/4) and I now have an accepted student checklist!! Interviewed 1/10. Now I have to make the infamous DMU vs CCOM decision that it so many seem to post about!

Thanks for the info!

My portal just changed yesterday (2/4) and I now have an accepted student checklist!! Interviewed 1/10. Now I have to make the infamous DMU vs CCOM decision that it so many seem to post about!

Congratulations!!! Good luck with the decision! PM me if you want advice. I had to make my decision between CCOM and MSUCOM (which was in-state for me).

Hi everyone! Congrats to those of you accepted thus far and good luck to the rest of you. I wanted to answer a few questions. First, if you are debating between CCOM and other schools realize this: CCOM is in CHICAGO! There are unrivaled opportunities in this city which is home to 7 medical schools and numerous community hospitals with strong teaching reputations. CCOM doesn't require relocation for rotations, which is the last thing you'll want to do while studying for step 1 after 2nd year. Also, the electives at CCOM allow you to rotate at all the hospitals your interested in whether in the area or around the country. I could not be happier with my choice, I had the opportunity to do "audition" rotations at all the instutions I was interested in during my third and forth years, CCOM is well known in Chicago and elsewhere, and Chicago is a special city that few other cities in the world can match up with. As far as the residency match I believe 70% of students(the actual stat is on the website) match their first or second choice, which is 10 points higher than the national average(osteo and allo). Many of my classmates are going into EM, and the MWU EM program offers many positions with training sites throughout the city and suburbs. As far as the match as a whole, about 50% go on to allopathic residency training while the others go osteo. CCOM gives you everything you need to become the physician you aspire to be. You WILL be prepared for boards, you WILL be the most prepared student on rounds, and you WILL enjoy your next four years. Good luck to everyone, my e-mail address is available for anyone who asks.

Hey guys, I'm interviewing on Monday and was wondering if anyone could give me any info about the day? I've seen it's about a 30 minute interview - is there only one interview? How many interviewers are in the room with you and what type of people are they (faculty, physicians, students..)?

Thanks for all your help!

Hey guys, I'm interviewing on Monday and was wondering if anyone could give me any info about the day? I've seen it's about a 30 minute interview - is there only one interview? How many interviewers are in the room with you and what type of people are they (faculty, physicians, students..)?

Thanks for all your help!

I interviewed here recently. First, you get some goodies like a stress ball in the beginning of the day, then the dean talks to the applicants about the school. After that, you have interviews. You get 1 interview, a panel of 2-3 people interviewing you - I only had 2 people, a Ph.D and a fourth year student. I think usually everyone get a doctor, a professor, and a current student. Most of the interviews are relatively stress-free, but there are some who are more strict and read from a list of questions.

Good luck!

Hi guys!

eek im SO excited about interviewing at CCOM this upcoming Tuesday :D
I was reading through the thread and I saw that there were a lot of posts about resumes. Does this mean that we were we supposed to submit a resume when we applied or is it referring to the info on the primary application.....or should we bring a resume to the interview?

Thanks!!

ps, is anyone else interviewing on tuesday?

Hi guys!

eek im SO excited about interviewing at CCOM this upcoming Tuesday :D
I was reading through the thread and I saw that there were a lot of posts about resumes. Does this mean that we were we supposed to submit a resume when we applied or is it referring to the info on the primary application.....or should we bring a resume to the interview?

Thanks!!

ps, is anyone else interviewing on tuesday?

They have your resume from your secondary I think, and since its closed file, they only look at your resume when interviewing.

hi guys!

Eek im so excited about interviewing at ccom this upcoming tuesday :hungover:
i was reading through the thread and i saw that there were a lot of posts about resumes. Does this mean that we were we supposed to submit a resume when we applied or is it referring to the info on the primary application.....or should we bring a resume to the interview?

Thanks!!

Ps, is anyone else interviewing on tuesday?

+1!!

no r-e-s-p-e-c-t from CCOM, just a good ole r-e-j-e-c-t-i-o-n. Via snail mail (dated 2/7). I was complete 9/10 - I feel cheated that it took them so long to review my file.

Good luck everyone.

I am going to be buying a new computer and am thinking of switching to Mac. I really like the Mac Book Air but it does not have a disc drive. Is there any software we will be downloading for school from CDs? I know a lot of software can be purchased online, so I am thinking this won't be a problem, but figured I'd ask anyway. Is CCOM pretty Mac-friendly or will it end up being more of a hassle by having a Mac?

I am going to be buying a new computer and am thinking of switching to Mac. I really like the Mac Book Air but it does not have a disc drive. Is there any software we will be downloading for school from CDs? I know a lot of software can be purchased online, so I am thinking this won't be a problem, but figured I'd ask anyway. Is CCOM pretty Mac-friendly or will it end up being more of a hassle by having a Mac?

You'll be fine with a Mac. I actually think there are more people in my class who have macs than PC's.

I should have posted this earlier. I interviewed months ago and my biggest worry was about the ethics questions they would ask.

I was asked the question about prescribing birth-control pills to a 14-year old behind her parents back. Another student interviewing before me with the exact same panel of 3 interviewers was asked the same question. We answered completely oppositely, but found out a month later that we had both been accepted. So as long as you show that you have thought about the potential ethical issues and can clearly articulate your beliefs about how you have the patient's best interest in mind... you should be fine!

Just thought I would share this anecdote with those who are interviewing soon. Good luck.

I know it is still early to be thinking about housing for August, but I was just curious where most students live (off-campus) during their first 2 years. I am heading to Chicago this weekend and wanted to check out a few places (on a budget). Any ideas from current students?

Thanks!

I know it is still early to be thinking about housing for August, but I was just curious where most students live (off-campus) during their first 2 years. I am heading to Chicago this weekend and wanted to check out a few places (on a budget). Any ideas from current students?

Thanks!

I think it would be nice if a bunch of us could live off-campus in an apartment complex that is close to transportation to the city and only a few miles from campus. If we could coordinate this, we could carpool to class and study together when off-campus. After looking at lots of property and apartments available, there are one bedroom apartments for around $800-$1000 a month or two bedrooms between $1000 and $1400 a month with lots of amenities and on-site facilities like fitness centers, pools, etc.

Any thoughts about this idea?

An off campus apartment complex would be sweet!! Which ones were you looking at?

Only problem is that I haven't heard word if I'm accepted yet! Keeping my fingers crossed that I hear back soon so I don't have to put a 1500 deposit down at LECOM-erie. Blah

An off campus apartment complex would be sweet!! Which ones were you looking at?

Only problem is that I haven't heard word if I'm accepted yet! Keeping my fingers crossed that I hear back soon so I don't have to put a 1500 deposit down at LECOM-erie. Blah

Oh I hope you get in!! There's still lots of time.

I am looking at Bristol Club, Prentiss Creek, International Village, and Yorktown so far. All seem really nice, not too bad in cost (but vary), close to campus, and close to public transportation to the city. I know Bristol, Yorktown, and IV have their own bus stop for the bus that goes to the metra.

I think it would be nice if a bunch of us could live off-campus in an apartment complex that is close to transportation to the city and only a few miles from campus. If we could coordinate this, we could carpool to class and study together when off-campus. After looking at lots of property and apartments available, there are one bedroom apartments for around $800-$1000 a month or two bedrooms between $1000 and $1400 a month with lots of amenities and on-site facilities like fitness centers, pools, etc.

Any thoughts about this idea?

Awesome idea! As of now, I'm headed to CCOM and I would definitely be interested in living in the same complex as other students. Wish this application process wasn't dragged out so long...I want to set up my living situation for next year now!

I also was invited this morning after being complete in September. I scheduled for mid-March due to work.

Glad to hear of all these interview invites.

I withdrew my acceptance of CCOM after I got into KCUMB and WVSOM.

Great school though, right down the street (I am a native of chicago), and amazing facilities.

Yesss this is a great idea!!
yikes but im also waiting to hear back, pretty much stalking my mailman hah but once I hear back, hopefully soon with good news, I would definitely look into this!

Oh I hope you get in!! There's still lots of time.

I am looking at Bristol Club, Prentiss Creek, International Village, and Yorktown so far. All seem really nice, not too bad in cost (but vary), close to campus, and close to public transportation to the city. I know Bristol, Yorktown, and IV have their own bus stop for the bus that goes to the metra.

Hi all,

I was hoping for some insight if anyone is willing. I am interviewing at CCOM March 23rd. How late/early is that in the interview cycle? I really want to attend here, but it seems that the later you interview, the more selective they are and more difficult it is to get in.

Hey all,

So I didn't get into CCOM but I got accepted into their Masters program in Biomedical Sciences which is a 9 month program. If you keep your GPA up and score the average on the MCAT for CCOM then I guess you are guaranteed an interview. I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on doing this masters program and re applying to CCOM for the 2012 or 2013? I am from michigan as well and I am not familiar with the area at all. Would it be better to live on campus or off campus? Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can message me or just post on the forum..

Thanks

I interviewed here in early Feb, and am pulling my hair out waiting for a reply. :) Does anyone know when the adcom is going to meet for Feb?

It's looking really likely that I'll be going here. I've been thinking about where to live. I still want to have some connection with all my friends in the city and was sort of thinking living close to the west side near 290 and doing a sort of reverse commute. Apartments toward the city can be had for cheaper, but add in the gas for a big commute on there and it would likely balance out quickly.

Anyone going to CCOM have any input on doing that? Will I be so busy that I would just rater live close to campus?

My family lives in Naperville, so having a downers grove apt seems slightly ridiculous. But family can be pretty distracting so I'm not sure what the best situation would be.

It's looking really likely that I'll be going here. I've been thinking about where to live. I still want to have some connection with all my friends in the city and was sort of thinking living close to the west side near 290 and doing a sort of reverse commute. Apartments toward the city can be had for cheaper, but add in the gas for a big commute on there and it would likely balance out quickly.

Anyone going to CCOM have any input on doing that? Will I be so busy that I would just rater live close to campus?

My family lives in Naperville, so having a downers grove apt seems slightly ridiculous. But family can be pretty distracting so I'm not sure what the best situation would be.

I'm going to CCOM in the fall and I'm currently looking at apartments VERY close to the metra that goes right to Union Station. Or I'm also considering apartments that have bus stops that take you to the metra because my boyfriend is going to live in the same complex as me and is going to law school in downtown Chicago. So we need to find somewhere with good transportation to the city.

I agree that living with the family might be really difficult and actually more stressful. I was considering living at home when I was thinking of going to MSUCOM and it sounded all great having my food there, no rent, etc, but having my own space and not having to worry about my family all the time seems so much better. I talked to a few med students about this and they said they like having family/home separate from their school lives.

I interviewed here in early Feb, and am pulling my hair out waiting for a reply. :) Does anyone know when the adcom is going to meet for Feb?

i would imagine you would know this week or next week.

:luck:

hey,
Im in a similar situation. I live in a suburb 20 minutes from ccom, and lived in the city for undergrad! As much as I would love to stay in the city, I think for the first two years its gonna be wayy too much a hassle. CCOM has quizzes and tests at like 730 am and commuting in chicago traffic and weather can be really annoying everyday. In my opinion prolly better to suck it up and just live by ccom for first two years and then hit up the city during the rotation years. Im looking at city view and yorkville apt complexes as of now. For your case it sux cuz naperville is right there, but I def couldnt live at home during ccom!

yeah, seriously.
Every time I came home from undergrad thinking I'd get a bunch of work done, it was the exact opposite. It's definitely not going to go well like that. If I live near campus I'm definitely going to try and go as cheap as possible. I just don't think I can rationalize a grand a month plus parking for an apartment 30 mins from my house lol.

Thanks for the input, Daisy and Pooballer... lol.

Definitely looking forward to CCOM

My portal just changed, Im accepted :D

Now comes the hard part: AZCOM vs CCOM

ahhhh yesssyesssss accepted!!! SOO unbelievably excited!!! :D

Yes!! Accepted and am definitely going to attend.

Good luck to all of the other applicants

ahhhh yesssyesssss accepted!!! SOO unbelievably excited!!! :D

Yay! congrats! Im so happy for you. I got accepted too but I think im declining to go to LECOM-erie because its cheaper and closer to home.

Good luck with everything!!!:luck:

If I live near campus I'm definitely going to try and go as cheap as possible. I just don't think I can rationalize a grand a month plus parking for an apartment 30 mins from my house lol.

Thanks for the input, Daisy and Pooballer... lol.

Definitely looking forward to CCOM

I also want to live for less than $6-700 a month and actually a lot of the apt complexes I'm looking at would be $500 a month if I share a 2 BR apt with someone. The only problem there is I need to find a roommate. But that's always a cheaper living option if you don't mind sharing an apt with another student.