Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys I am going to retake I am going to start studying again in April. probably take the test in Aug.

I guess, if it is a pride issue, then sure. It's either that or you just don't understand the statistics and your ability to get in as a URM. You have a balanced low score, but your GPA makes up for it. You were are 80% chance of acceptance at an MD program with those stats, and if I had those stats, I would be close to 0% so you should probably recognize that 80% is massive. Anyway, have fun with the retake.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess, if it is a pride issue, then sure. It's either that or you just don't understand the statistics and your ability to get in as a URM. You have a balanced low score, but your GPA makes up for it. You were are 80% chance of acceptance at an MD program with those stats, and if I had those stats, I would be close to 0% so you should probably recognize that 80% is massive. Anyway, have fun with the retake.

The MD schools in FL are pretty competitive most of them except for one does not take any URM with anything less than a 27.

I been looking for out of state MDs and except for the HBCUs I don't think I have a shot at any.

But if you would like to suggest to me any MDs that are not in FL and or not HBCUs that you think I have a chance of getting into please do.

The MD schools in FL are pretty competitive most of them except for one does not take any URM with anything less than a 27.

I been looking for out of state MDs and except for the HBCUs I don't think I have a shot at any.

But if you would like to suggest to me any MDs that are not in FL and or not HBCUs that you think I have a chance of getting into please do.

Do not pick schools based on some stat you found out online about URMs being accepted at some location. I actually doubt you will find such a thing being released by schools. Just pick a bunch of programs you could see yourself at because you have a shot at a lot of schools outside of some of the top programs. I actually think you could even get iis at some top 25 programs. URM status is a helpful thing to have, but unfortunately for me, I am at ORM.

Guys I am going to retake I am going to start studying again in April. probably take the test in Aug.

You've made the right choice. Take a month off, and come back strong. Start completely over in content review, and focus on things you really didn't get. Bumping your score 2-3 points will open up many more doors for you.

First off, I believe that shadowing/having a LOR from a DO is beneficial not only because it shows your interest in osteopathic medicine to adcoms, but it also allows you to pick the brain of an osteopathic physician which in turn is good education for you yourself.

I also went through an AT program. The orthopod who took me under his wing and ultimately wrote my letter of rec was a DO. However there were many other team physicians that I worked with who were family medicine/sports medicine trained as well. Were you exposed to non-ortho, sports medicine physicians during your AT undergrad? I worked many "doctors clinics" in the ATR with these physicians performing pre participation physicals, addressing more complex (beyond my scope/training) non musculoskeletal cases etc. There are ways to spin that into "primary care" exposure, especially since you are working with/shadowing what is essentially a family medicine doctor.

...or, you could just find a primary care DO to shadow and kill two birds with one stone. ;) Which again, is recommended...for the letter at least...

Unfortunately no, we have two ortho MDs and 3 PAs that work with my school. I have been to plenty of Dr visits with my athletes for all kinds of things but its always to that group. It's awesome to hear another AT on here! Hey as a side note do you think that looks good on an application? as apposed to the normal bio degree? Honestly it's that training that attracted me to the DO philosophy anyways... But thank you for the advice!

So I decided I am not retaking I am just apply D.,O. and praying if you look at the average MCAT score for a Black matriculate it is a 28 for MD schools and a about a 23 for DO, so I am right on the mark for D.O.

Howdy Class of 2018!

Yeah, I read earlier that somebody was trying to lose weight. I've been on Atkins since January and I've lost about 15 pounds. It's hard to get into initially, but once you do you feel a lot less hungry. I know I did! My sister did it before me, lost around 60-65 pounds, and is now rocking a size 4 when she used to wear 14/16.

I'm going to be in the class behind you or the one after that, so I wish you guys the best.

Rake in ALL the acceptances! :luck:

Howdy Class of 2018!

Yeah, I read earlier that somebody was trying to lose weight. I've been on Atkins since January and I've lost about 15 pounds. It's hard to get into initially, but once you do you feel a lot less hungry. I know I did! My sister did it before me, lost around 60-65 pounds, and is now rocking a size 4 when she used to wear 14/16.

I'm going to be in the class behind you or the one after that, so I wish you guys the best.

Rake in ALL the acceptances! :luck:

Yeah I started the Atkins plus I been taking a 1 spoon of apple cider vinegar before I eat I started doing this on Wed. and I already drop 3 pounds.

I just need to increase the amount of calories I burn at the gym and I will be great.

I would have hired a personal trainer but all my money being spent on facials at the spa so that I can get my face skin clear, even and beautified for interviews.

Yeah I started the Atkins plus I been taking a 1 spoon of apple cider vinegar before I eat I started doing this on Wed. and I already drop 3 pounds.

I just need to increase the amount of calories I burn at the gym and I will be great.

I would have hired a personal trainer but all my money being spent on facials at the spa so that I can get my face skin clear, even and beautified for interviews.
Is this MedPR?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just had a meeting with my pre-med advisor to discuss my app. She told me I'd never get into med school and I should choose another career. Therefore, I am in.

I just had a meeting with my pre-med advisor to discuss my app. She told me I'd never get into med school and I should choose another career. Therefore, I am in.

Welcome.

I've had horrible experience with those people. I went in once to get information about a DO LOR. First she didn't know anything about DOs and after I tell what a DO was, she pulls up my transcript (without my permission) and starts telling me its impossible to get in with my stats.
It annoyed me so much that someone who is getting paid through my tuition and who is suppose to give advice, is trying to kill my dreams. Useless people.

Welcome.

I've had horrible experience with those people. I went in once to get information about a DO LOR. First she didn't know anything about DOs and after I tell what a DO was, she pulls up my transcript (without my permission) and starts telling me its impossible to get in with my stats.
It annoyed me so much that someone who is getting paid through my tuition and who is suppose to give advice, is trying to kill my dreams. Useless people.

:hello:

Same thing happened to me. My advisor basically made it seem like it would be impossible for me to make it into medical school.

My premed advisor is head of the premed committee and she writes all of the LORs. How the hell am I supposed to get a decent committee letter from someone who thinks I won't even get in?

I'm thinking about bypassing the committee altogether and just sending in individual LORs.

I'm thinking about bypassing the committee altogether and just sending in individual LORs.

I'm doing the committee, but if they give me a bad letter (50/50 shot I assume) I'm just going to chuck it in the trash and go with my professor LOR's.

I really wish my school didn't have a committee.

+1 for wishing your school didn't have a committee. I think they are going to make my application late.

I will be joining you guys with DO application. My stats are: 3.55cGPA/3.72sGPA/31(10,11,10)

I passed my CNA exam so next week I am job hunting. I am applying for a bathing position since the pay is high --- starts at 15/hr at most places and I only took a 2 wk CNA prep course, so I have no real clinical experience except from taking care of my grandparents.

Hey anything helps! Plus it will give you an opportunity to meet some good doctors and help you to find someone to follow if you haven't already

I'm doing the committee, but if they give me a bad letter (50/50 shot I assume) I'm just going to chuck it in the trash and go with my professor LOR's.

I really wish my school didn't have a committee.

So you won't be waiving access to your letter (FERPA)? I thought that was frowned upon because supposedly the letter won't be as candid. :rolleyes:

Just a heads up, if you don't send in a committee letter and your school has a committee, some med schools will require a letter from the committee explaining that you opted out of their service (non-registrant letter)...and, well, if you just chuck their letter they can't say you didn't use their service so med schools are going to wonder where the heck that letter went. :p

So you won't be waiving access to your letter (FERPA)? I thought that was frowned upon because supposedly the letter won't be as candid. :rolleyes:

Just a heads up, if you don't send in a committee letter and your school has a committee, some med schools will require a letter from the committee explaining that you opted out of their service (non-registrant letter)...and, well, if you just chuck their letter they can't say you didn't use their service so med schools are going to wonder where the heck that letter went. :p

What if your school doesn't have a committee?

Med schools, except for my state school, have never heard of my institution. Pre-meds at my school don't even know what a DO is, and they certainly haven't applied to the DO schools.

I can easily claim that I chose to not utilize the committee because it makes applications late on an anual basis at my school. I wouldn't be making that up either. A friend of mine wasn't complete to a lot of schools until October thanks to those asshats.

Med schools, except for my state school, have never heard of my institution. Pre-meds at my school don't even know what a DO is, and they certainly haven't applied to the DO schools.

I can easily claim that I chose to not utilize the committee because it makes applications late on an anual basis at my school. I wouldn't be making that up either. A friend of mine wasn't complete to a lot of schools until October thanks to those asshats.

Lucky! My undergrad is pretty well known, so bypassing the committee wouldn't go unnoticed. :(

October?! :eek: Why do these pre-med committees toy with our futures?! :confused:

Why do these pre-med committees toy with our futures?! :confused:

I can't speak for other schools, but at least at my institution there seems to be a lot of jealousy and resentment. I've been told by one member of the committee "If I couldn't get in with a 3.5 you certainly won't either". It's been kind of awful to have them for classes.

Obviously they aren't trying to keep us from matriculating into professional schools, but they sure as hell aren't making the process any easier unless you have a 3.8+.

Last edited:
I can't speak for other schools, but at least at my institution there seems to be a lot of jealousy and resentment. I've been told by one member of the committee "If I couldn't get in with a 3.5 you certainly won't either". It's been kind of awful to have them for classes.

Obviously they aren't trying to keep us from matriculating into professional schools, but they sure as hell aren't making the process any easier unless you have a 3.8+.

Med School rejects handle these committee letters? Oh jeez.

Also, Caribbean back then (10+ years ago) was a safe bet so it was his fault for not wanting it bad enough.

It's spring brake for me right now and I am trying to be productive but its hard!

I just want to sleep!!! Im just happy Im done with MCAT. That took up soooo much time.

Cant wait for app season to start already.

I also been thinking that I may want to get accepted to a school out of the state so I can start a 'new' life. It would be nice to get a new surrounding, meet new people, and get a 'new' start on life.

I am thinking about changing how to pronounce my name in my 'new' life.

Cant wait for app season to start already.

I also been thinking that I may want to get accepted to a school out of the state so I can start a 'new' life. It would be nice to get a new surrounding, meet new people, and get a 'new' start on life.

I am thinking about changing how to pronounce my name in my 'new' life.

I'm actually going to have a new last name by the time I start med school

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Please add me to this thead!

GPA: 3.45 / sGPA: 3.5
MCAT #1: 24R 9/7/8
MCAT #2: 28N 10/8/10

Is there one like this for DO for this years applicants?
Meaning those who started applying in 6/2012

Last edited:
Anyone here doing PS lookovers? It doesn't have to be thorough, just a quick overview to let me know if im on the right path.

Also, I made a March Madness 2013 thread in the Wolf's Den, check it out :)

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

Hey guys,

I new to the posting game as well. I will be taking my MCAT in June and applying to PCOM-Ga as my first choice.

I have a 3.4gpa--3.0sgpa

I have been the in the college program at the Atlanta Children's Hospital and received a pretty good LOR from them. I also have volunteer work at the Atlanta Mission and am President of a club at my university.

Anyone know how I stack up for acceptance into PCOM or NOVA?

Hey guys,

I new to the posting game as well. I will be taking my MCAT in June and applying to PCOM-Ga as my first choice.

I have a 3.4gpa--3.0sgpa

I have been the in the college program at the Atlanta Children's Hospital and received a pretty good LOR from them. I also have volunteer work at the Atlanta Mission and am President of a club at my university.

Anyone know how I stack up for acceptance into PCOM or NOVA?

Are you taking anymore science classes currently? Raising your sciGPA to a 3.1 - 3.2 would be good.

If not then try to get close to a 30+ on the MCAT. Nova is MCAT favored and if you score a 28+ you should get an interview from them.

Hey guys, I wanted to start getting my ECs app section ready.

All you need to do is write what EC it was, when you did it, contact info. and what you did????

I got a weekend CNA position Fri Sat and Sun Mornings.

I am still on the look out for a one 12 hour shift. It would be nice to work one to two 12 hr shift than 3-4 hour shifts throughout the day, but I think I can find another agency and work for 2-3 agencies at a time.

I got a weekend CNA position Fri Sat and Sun Mornings.

I am still on the look out for a one 12 hour shift. It would be nice to work one to two 12 hr shift than 3-4 hour shifts throughout the day, but I think I can find another agency and work for 2-3 agencies at a time.

I'm jealous, I'll probably be going into an SMP next year so I will definitely lose a lot of money instead of gaining any.

Anyone else got any updates? I've just been trying to keep up A's in my classes and get one more LoR (Will have 6 hopefully before app cycle starts).

Still mulling over whether to retake my 29. While my stats are good enough for DO (3.5 across the board), I do want to be picky about my DO schools ( as well as get at least one or two MD interviews even if they lead no where.