Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
New CMS Proposed Rule On E/M Coding Could Reduce Podiatry Reimbursement | Podiatry Today

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) on July 27 released its plan to reduce paperwork and improve patient care.
What CMS is proposing is to combine the evaluation and management (E/M) codes—that currently have four to five levels of codes with specific documentation requirement for each level of code and four to five levels of reimbursement—to a single payment level for a new patient and a single payment level for an established payment. The CMS notes this could have an impact on the 40 percent of Medicare payments that are for E/M services.

As CMS Administrator Seema Verma, MPH, wrote in a July 17 letter previewing the proposal: “We’ve proposed to move from a system with separate documentation requirements for each of the four levels that physicians use to a system with just one set of requirements, and one payment level each for new and established patients … Most specialties would see changes in their overall Medicare payments in the range of 1-2 percent up or down from this policy, but we believe that any small negative payment adjustments would be outweighed by the significant reduction in documentation burden.”2

This proposal is open for comment until September 10. Most of us would not be opposed to reduced paperwork. I have read that although the reduction in documentation could save a minute or two per appointment since many of us use an EMR, the reduced reimbursement would not offset or reduce the burden CMS seeks to help us manage. The rule change will definitely reduce the reimbursement we will see for the higher level of visits that are often required to take care of more complicated patients.

As Policy and Medicine points out, obstetricians and gynecologists would experience the biggest potential increase of 4 percent from the proposed E/M changes.3 In contrast, podiatry and dermatology would take the biggest hit with 4 percent decrease.

The CMS argues the negative financial impacts will be offset by the reduction in administrative burdens as outlined in the proposed rule. As noted, this reduction of administrative activity would be miniscule per patient visit and a reduction of paperwork involved could not compensate for reductions of payment received.

CMS believes that podiatrists would be seeing a 12 percent increase in reimbursement throught this change, and that hand surgeons and dermatologists would see a 4 to 6 percent increase with the code consolidation. With this information, CMS has proposed to release G codes for podiatrist to use specifically for our E/M services with reimbursements reduced further.

Members don't see this ad.

New CMS Proposed Rule On E/M Coding Could Reduce Podiatry Reimbursement | Podiatry Today

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) on July 27 released its plan to reduce paperwork and improve patient care.
What CMS is proposing is to combine the evaluation and management (E/M) codes—that currently have four to five levels of codes with specific documentation requirement for each level of code and four to five levels of reimbursement—to a single payment level for a new patient and a single payment level for an established payment. The CMS notes this could have an impact on the 40 percent of Medicare payments that are for E/M services.

As CMS Administrator Seema Verma, MPH, wrote in a July 17 letter previewing the proposal: “We’ve proposed to move from a system with separate documentation requirements for each of the four levels that physicians use to a system with just one set of requirements, and one payment level each for new and established patients … Most specialties would see changes in their overall Medicare payments in the range of 1-2 percent up or down from this policy, but we believe that any small negative payment adjustments would be outweighed by the significant reduction in documentation burden.”2

This proposal is open for comment until September 10. Most of us would not be opposed to reduced paperwork. I have read that although the reduction in documentation could save a minute or two per appointment since many of us use an EMR, the reduced reimbursement would not offset or reduce the burden CMS seeks to help us manage. The rule change will definitely reduce the reimbursement we will see for the higher level of visits that are often required to take care of more complicated patients.

As Policy and Medicine points out, obstetricians and gynecologists would experience the biggest potential increase of 4 percent from the proposed E/M changes.3 In contrast, podiatry and dermatology would take the biggest hit with 4 percent decrease.

The CMS argues the negative financial impacts will be offset by the reduction in administrative burdens as outlined in the proposed rule. As noted, this reduction of administrative activity would be miniscule per patient visit and a reduction of paperwork involved could not compensate for reductions of payment received.

CMS believes that podiatrists would be seeing a 12 percent increase in reimbursement throught this change, and that hand surgeons and dermatologists would see a 4 to 6 percent increase with the code consolidation. With this information, CMS has proposed to release G codes for podiatrist to use specifically for our E/M services with reimbursements reduced further.
So, why CMS believes podiatrists will actually have highest increase and other think it decrease reimbursement?

Why so opposite views?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think dds/od will be affected. CMS is singling out Pods, which was not a problem all these years. There is some good from the changes as well but overall it's bad for the profession, imo.

I don't think it will happen though, everyone is making sure of that, including students and faculty.
If it is established, what would be the good to come from it? I skimmed above but i don’t entirely understand if you could summerize

Last edited:
It is good to see them acting aggressively and even hiring a law firm to help APMA.

Looks like NY got very involved.
Money is money.

Would you like to be reimbursed less than the guy next to you?
When providing the same energy, time, and level of care?

Reactions: 1 users
This is discrimination, plain and simple. There is no justifiable reason why we should need to use different codes, which reimburse less, for the same exact diagnoses and procedures as our MD/DO colleagues. I'm all for streamlining the process, but singling out podiatrists in this fashion is unwarranted and quite frankly unethical. It's good to see that the APMA is against this and aggressively opposing it. We need all the people we can to fight this off - we have good momentum after the VA changes but things like this threaten to set us back as a profession.

My bud who is heavily involved with OFAMA (Ohio podiatry organization) as a student says they're also getting heavily involved in opposing this as well. They don't seem to think it will go through as it's still in its infancy as a proposal, but it'll only be stopped through an organized effort.

Last edited:
If it is established, what would be the good to come from it? I skimmed above but i don’t entirely understand if you could summerize

In simple terms, it means dealing with less paperwork so that you can spend that extra time on patient care. But, I fail to see this benefit if Medicare will not compensate Pods fairly for the same diagnosis as any other Physician.

We moved a step forward with the passage of the VA-equity bill, but if this happens..we will take 3 steps back!!!

Thus, to all, submit that letter, and ask others to do the same. As students, that's the least we can do. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
If it is established, what would be the good to come from it?
In simple terms, it means dealing with less paperwork so that you can spend that extra time on patient care. But, I fail to see this benefit if Medicare will not compensate Pods fairly for the same diagnosis as any other Physician.

We moved a step forward with the passage of the VA-equity bill, but if this happens..we will take 3 steps back!!!

Thus, to all, submit that letter, and ask others to do the same. As students, that's the least we can do. Thanks!
is there any word on the chances or likelihood that this does happen?

It's hard to say as of now. I want to say that odds are decent that it won't go through given the strong opposition to it and the fact that this is merely a proposal and is still a ways from being official policy, but nothing is guaranteed at this point.

is there any word on the chances or likelihood that this does happen?

To add to what J29622 said above, we, everyone in this profession, have until September of this year to make our case against the proposed changes. I don't really know when we'll find out if this happens or not but the hope is it won't :xf:

:yawn:

Money is money.

Would you like to be reimbursed less than the guy next to you?
When providing the same energy, time, and level of care?
I would not like that. I was just asking why CMS sees increase while podiatry world sees decrease.

So, guys, please help me understand. Basically, CMS is proposing to eliminate 4 codes that were reimbursed for administrative work involving documentation of various levels of patient visits? Right?

So, they are proposing to replace 4 with 2 codes? If, like it was said in a link, podiatrists almost never billed for levels 4 and 5, than how would that decrease reimbursement much?

Would 2 new codes get better pay than codes for levels 1 and 2 used previously?

Thanks

I would not like that. I was just asking why CMS sees increase while podiatry world sees decrease.

So, guys, please help me understand. Basically, CMS is proposing to eliminate 4 codes that were reimbursed for administrative work involving documentation of various levels of patient visits? Right?

So, they are proposing to replace 4 with 2 codes? If, like it was said in a link, podiatrists almost never billed for levels 4 and 5, than how would that decrease reimbursement much?

Would 2 new codes get better pay than codes for levels 1 and 2 used previously?

Thanks
Each code is associated with an RVU-- Relative Value Unit.

You get paid based on that RVU.

Podiatrists may code for the same thing other physicians use-- but their RVUs would be less than other professions--- despite using the exact same code.

Members don't see this ad :)
Each code is associated with an RVU-- Relative Value Unit.

You get paid based on that RVU.

Podiatrists may code for the same thing other physicians use-- but their RVUs would be less than other professions--- despite using the exact same code.
It’s so blatantly discriminatory for no reason I wonder what genius came up with this, unless it’s different coding for all specialties. I’m surprised yet I know I shouldn’t be because ya know Medicare and Medicaid *sigh*.. only a matter of time until more and more docs start denying it as health insurance.

It’s so blatantly discriminatory for no reason I wonder what genius came up with this, unless it’s different coding for all specialties. I’m surprised yet I know I shouldn’t be because ya know Medicare and Medicaid *sigh*.. only a matter of time until more and more docs start denying it as health insurance.
Quite a head scratcher.

What gets dreamt up in corporate doesn't work in real life.

How is second year compared to first year?
Can't speak for other programs but in general much much busier.

Felt less stressful for me even if it was crazier workload. Get a hang of how to study, how to portion time, slowly add on more hobbies and things you like to do, maybe even research. It felt less stressful because I went in knowing I could do it. Went in more confident, went in knowing I wasn't just stupid or something was wrong with me.

Clinicals started for us so 2 days of the week we're in clinic or hospitals and its a time sink, but you learn so much and it makes me work harder to pass in class because I know I'll see that stuff again and it matters in the real world.

Why there are 39 unfilled positions if there are students that didnt get into residency? 7 from class of 2018 and so on.

I am confused.

I may be totally wrong, but I am going to guess that some of these positions were from programs that did not have enough students that applied and/or rejected certain applicants for a variety of reasons and have unfilled spots because of it.

Is there some type of scramble in podiatry residency? Because 7 students from class of 2018 did not end up anywhere and there are still unfilled spots.

Seems logical to fill all the spots.

Is there some type of scramble in podiatry residency? Because 7 students from class of 2018 did not end up anywhere and there are still unfilled spots.

Seems logical to fill all the spots.

You have to consider the date that was published...after the residency placements were over, those unfilled positions got filled and all of the 9 schools had a 100% match rate for this year.

Can't speak for other programs but in general much much busier.

Felt less stressful for me even if it was crazier workload. Get a hang of how to study, how to portion time, slowly add on more hobbies and things you like to do, maybe even research. It felt less stressful because I went in knowing I could do it. Went in more confident, went in knowing I wasn't just stupid or something was wrong with me.

Clinicals started for us so 2 days of the week we're in clinic or hospitals and its a time sink, but you learn so much and it makes me work harder to pass in class because I know I'll see that stuff again and it matters in the real world.

+1 to what Weirdy said. Our days are divided between clinics and classes and there is hardly time to study for exams anymore. It's fun and all and very interesting clinical stuff but wish there were more breaks. In any case, its good to be here :)

+1 to what Weirdy said. Our days are divided between clinics and classes and there is hardly time to study for exams anymore. It's fun and all and very interesting clinical stuff but wish there were more breaks. In any case, its good to be here :)
That's why DMU says they dont have clinicals for first 2 years to make sure students do well in classes and boards.

When I have seen Scholl's schedule, i thought it was cool that they start their students with clinical hours from day 1, but now I think that I'd rather do academics only and some volunteering for the first 2 years.

We have Clinical Medicine course that has weekly labs where we learn how to use equipment and practice some on each other and SPAL. We had our first SPAL exam this week.

2nd year is definitely harder than first. Way more information per exam than first year. It's all manageable but definitely less down time. In finals week right now for our first quarter. Have 3 exams in the next 2 days so looking forward to Friday night right now lol

Reactions: 2 users
I'm just watching my student debt skyrocket.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone starting part 1 studying over break? What’s your plan if so?

Right now, I'm just binging on movies and stuff on Netflix/Hulu. In a week or so, I plan to go over all the stuff we have already covered in class in FirstAid for Step 1 and start those board vital questions. I'm hoping to get through those ques once before the summer.

I’m studying pharmacology,so I can develope the next great toe decruster cream and quit being a doctor.

Happy Sunday Everyone :)

Just wondering how you all are handling this term so far. Do you guys get board prep/dedicated studying time from your programs?
I have just been concentrating on school through the first exam cycle and will start boards studying tomorrow. We get about a month of dedicated time after classes end in May, but we do have ACLS training and such taking up some of those days.

I have just been concentrating on school through the first exam cycle and will start boards studying tomorrow. We get about a month of dedicated time after classes end in May, but we do have ACLS training and such taking up some of those days.

Good to hear, Podstar. How are you studying for the boards? We get some time off later in April so right now its all about finishing the term. We finished ACLS/BLS together last year so that is a relief...ACLS will def take more tries to get used to all the codes. As far the board is concerned, I'm not sure what source to use for LowerAnat..maybe my class notes..but its SO MUCH INFO! :eek:

Good to hear, Podstar. How are you studying for the boards? We get some time off later in April so right now its all about finishing the term. We finished ACLS/BLS together last year so that is a relief...ACLS will def take more tries to get used to all the codes. As far the board is concerned, I'm not sure what source to use for LowerAnat..maybe my class notes..but its SO MUCH INFO! :eek:
I’ve been taking it pretty light for boards prep so far, really just going through LEA school notes, some sketchy micro, and keeping up with path and pharm in class. I plan to pick it up after spring break. I recommend Reuben’s notes for lower, if you don’t have them I can send them to you.

I’ve been taking it pretty light for boards prep so far, really just going through LEA school notes, some sketchy micro, and keeping up with path and pharm in class. I plan to pick it up after spring break. I recommend Reuben’s notes for lower, if you don’t have them I can send them to you.
I'd love to see the Reuben's if you have them.

I'd love to see the Reuben's if you have them.

Yeah, same here Podstar. Thanks! I read a few pages from First aid everyday but that's about it for now..will also pick up in the next few weeks!

Do you like First Aid? TBH I wasn't going to use it.

I think many plp have passed the boards without using FA..so you don't have to use it. I like it because its all straight to the point and almost everything is there...great for biochem/micro/pharm/path/and some intro physio/anat.

How is everyone feeling about boards coming up? I have to say, I don't feel all that prepared even after studying for a bit now. I am averaging 70-75% on BV and have taken one 2008 NBME test and got 80%, not sure where that puts me.

How is everyone feeling about boards coming up? I have to say, I don't feel all that prepared even after studying for a bit now. I am averaging 70-75% on BV and have taken one 2008 NBME test and got 80%, not sure where that puts me.

If you’re scoring those numbers already you’re going to pass, no worries.

Reactions: 2 users