Class of 2023... how you doin?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I kind of just want the first exam cycle to hit just so I can understand how each professor/class is tested. Once I know how they all choose their questions, then I'll know how to properly study for every other cycle. I'm a ball of stress about my first physiology/histology exam, then we have Diag. imaging, anatomy, and immunology the following week. Yaaaaay

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I kind of just want the first exam cycle to hit just so I can understand how each professor/class is tested. Once I know how they all choose their questions, then I'll know how to properly study for every other cycle. I'm a ball of stress about my first physiology/histology exam, then we have Diag. imaging, anatomy, and immunology the following week. Yaaaaay

I feel this. Our first exam is this week and I really just need to see what it's like.

I just had my first exam, I think I passed. We won’t know for a bit though due to other circumstances

It was pretty fair and it’s a relief to see how they make up the questions

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Grade update: made a high B on the physio exam, and alll the other classes high As so far. We rolling now! :)

Congratulations!

My two cents (meant kindly): sharing grades on this thread may not be in great taste. Just like in school, there are people who are struggling behind the scenes and hearing those who did well sharing openly without being asked can be really discouraging. It further drives that feeling of “I’m the only one struggling with this, I’m not meant to be here” or that you’re all still in competition, etc. I think it’s great that you did so well, and you should be really proud, but maybe next time something more general like, “I’m really happy with my grade!” would be more appropriate. Again, meant kindly :)

• Wow
Reactions: 26 users
First anatomy exam tomorrow, everyone around me looks delirious. For the past two nights, I’ve been studying and time has passed by so fast, it ends up being 1am and then I get up 5 hours later for school... must get 8 hours of sleep tonight (or try to).

Reactions: 2 users
First anatomy exam tomorrow, everyone around me looks delirious. For the past two nights, I’ve been studying and time has passed by so fast, it ends up being 1am and then I get up 5 hours later for school... must get 8 hours of sleep tonight (or try to).
Take care of yourself first and always!

Reactions: 4 users
You're going to be fine-get some sleep first and foremost!

I was standing in line for Qdoba at a lecture yesterday and felt something on my head so I teased my hair and saw something fall. Looking around I didn't see it at first but then I did and it WAS THIS BUG THAT LOOKED LIKE AN EARWIG-LEECH MUTANT

• Wow
Literally failed my immunology exam just now, but today's my birthday, it's the end of a crap exam week and I'm gonna party tonight.

Good news is I passed my diagnostic imaging exam on Tuesday and I'm confident I at least passed my anatomy exam yesterday.

I was standing in line for Qdoba at a lecture yesterday and felt something on my head so I teased my hair and saw something fall. Looking around I didn't see it at first but then I did and it WAS THIS BUG THAT LOOKED LIKE AN EARWIG-LEECH MUTANT
NOPE! That's a whole lot of NOPE.

Literally failed my immunology exam just now, but today's my birthday, it's the end of a crap exam week and I'm gonna party tonight.

Good news is I passed my diagnostic imaging exam on Tuesday and I'm confident I at least passed my anatomy exam yesterday.
Sending hugs and support - It sounds like you were having to do a lot! Way to do well on your other exams!

That is a loottttttt to do in a week. Holy cow. That sounds rough. Hopefully next week will be better and less stacked with exams.

Party hard tonight and happy birthday!

Sending hugs and support - It sounds like you were having to do a lot! Way to do well on your other exams!
That is a loottttttt to do in a week. Holy cow. That sounds rough. Hopefully next week will be better and less stacked with exams.

Party hard tonight and happy birthday!

This week and last week were our first exam cycle but its over! I think they just decided to overload us for the first exam. That meme of the dog with the socks being thrown at it was the epitome of this week.

And thank you! I've recruited many of my classmates to go out to the bars and drink with me haha!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really grateful that we only have one exam a week and that it's on Friday.

I'm in the middle of studying for a midterm, but I did get to watch one of the dairy cows deliver a calf this morning! It was a nice break from studying things that can go wrong in development.

Reactions: 7 users
Ah I forgot about that one! Also our pick up video actually had to have some of the more shocking lines cut because they were that bad :whistle: Also sad some of the sound wasn't loud enough for "things you hear in vet school." Hope you all survived anatomy!
I loved the pick up one, too. The latex line was my favorite

Hang in there! The first exam cycle is brutal because they are so close together. It does spread out!
I remember being dead after 5 exams in 7 days. It was worse than finals.

First real exam is biochem tomorrow. The class is 10 credits so there’s 23 lectures worth of material on the exam. Ugh. Do other vet schools give students 36 credits of classes first semester? Because it’s the worst.

Reactions: 1 user
First real exam is biochem tomorrow. The class is 10 credits so there’s 23 lectures worth of material on the exam. Ugh. Do other vet schools give students 36 credits of classes first semester? Because it’s the worst.
We get up there, but 36 is a huge amount. Do y'all do a quarter system or something?

We get up there, but 36 is a huge amount. Do y'all do a quarter system or something?
So we have a hybrid system. It’s quarters in the fall, and semester in the spring. But it’s all in semester credits. I think there’s only one class right now that drops off in November and it’s a 3 credit class. Next semester is I think 26 (?) credits. So far my friends have talked to their friends at Illinois and Cornell and they both said 36 was a lot. Those are the only two I’ve heard about though. It’s kind of awful but at least if I survive this semester then after Christmas break will be easier. Then second year is hard. It’s okay. It’s all okay. No it’s not it’s the worst

I think you also have to consider that schools assign credits veryyyy different. Most classes at my school average around 3 credits with the range being 0.5-5. A 10 credit class is bizarre to me. I also have absolutely no idea how many total credits I’ve had every semester. It just doesn’t really matter lol.

I think you also have to consider that schools assign credits veryyyy different. Most classes at my school average around 3 credits with the range being 0.5-5. A 10 credit class is bizarre to me. I also have absolutely no idea how many total credits I’ve had every semester. It just doesn’t really matter lol.
I guess I’ll rephrase it then. Does everyone else have class from 9-12, then 1-5 for 5 days a week?

So far my friends have talked to their friends at Illinois and Cornell and they both said 36 was a lot. Those are the only two I’ve heard about though.

The University (not the college) has a forced cap of 26 credits per semester, regardless of the year. But we also have the megacourses at 10+ credits per quarter/8 weeks. So I couldn't tell you how much anatomy is credits wise versus histology versus imaging, etc.

I guess I’ll rephrase it then. Does everyone else have class from 9-12, then 1-5 for 5 days a week?

First year is 9-4 every day. Second year is 8-4 every day. Third year gets weird because of labs; some days are 1-3, others will be 5:30-3. That does not include any elective time.

For first year at my school in 2nd semester yes. In first semester you do get some early afternoons around once a week. The first years get used to that and then want to cry when they get back after December break lol.

We do have protected Wednesday afternoons for years 1-3, so you almost always get off at 12:30 that day. Convenient since exams are on Monday/Thursday mornings haha.

Our anatomy and physiology are close to that amount (I think anatomy is like 9 credits and phys is like 7), but after that classes rarely exceed 5 credits. Our clinical sciences classes would if they weren't half-semester long classes (they are 5 credits each, so if they ran the semester like normal classes they would be worth 10 credits).

I agree that I generally have no idea how many credits I'm taking each semester unless I have to look it up (usually to prove a point to someone because I'm being petty lol). I looked it up earlier today after this discussion and we've generally had 21-26 credit semesters, give or take electives.

I'd say this was largely pretty accurate for us for first year. We had a little more free time fall of second year and then were closer to this schedule again in spring of second year. Right now I'm in class anywhere from 7:30-8:30 AM - 4/5 PM nowadays, depending on when my rotations want to start and the day of the week

We had this magical thing on Fridays in first semester of second year I think... we would be done by 1pm most of the time. Of course that’s where they always would shove any overflow thing, but when it was open... what a sweet, sweet pre-weekend nap that was.

Not sure how we lucked out with that. None of the other semesters were that way.

We had this magical thing on Fridays in first semester of second year I think... we would be done by 1pm most of the time. Of course that’s where they always would shove any overflow thing, but when it was open... what a sweet, sweet pre-weekend nap that was.

Not sure how we lucked out with that. None of the other semesters were that way.
Oh man, you're reminding me of spring of first year where we only had one class on Fridays and it was a lab in the morning. So amazing

I've actually looked into this, you can find it somewhere online, but our vet school credits are about 2x the normal credit system at the university. It always sounded impressive to say I took 51 credits in a semester, but it really is only about 25 REAL credits worth of work (which still sucks, don't get me wrong).

First year, yes. It was 8-5 first semester and 9-4 second semester for the most part. Second year was mostly 9-2pm. Third year here is 9-12 classes and 1-5pm labs. Thankfully you don’t have lab every single day, but I can be most days at some points in the semester.

It sucks being sick in vet school. I was sick enough to go to urgent care yesterday because I couldn't stay awake and felt super light headed. Plus my throat felt like it was on fire.

When I went to urgent care the doctor kinda wrote off my symptoms and said I looked fine and that he doubted my strep test would come back positive.

Well it came back positive and now I'm on antibiotics and was feeling so much better but after a full day of class I'm back to feeling super fatigued again.

Our first big anatomy exam on Friday and I can't concentrate on studying. Plus my birthday is Saturday so hopefully I'm better by then. :sorry:

• Sad
It sucks being sick in vet school. I was sick enough to go to urgent care yesterday because I couldn't stay awake and felt super light headed. Plus my throat felt like it was on fire.

When I went to urgent care the doctor kinda wrote off my symptoms and said I looked fine and that he doubted my strep test would come back positive.

Well it came back positive and now I'm on antibiotics and was feeling so much better but after a full day of class I'm back to feeling super fatigued again.

Our first big anatomy exam on Friday and I can't concentrate on studying. Plus my birthday is Saturday so hopefully I'm better by then. :sorry:
You can do it! Everyone at Penn is sick or getting sick so I see what you’re going through in a lot of my classmates. Don’t overdo it. Study what you can, take breaks, stay hydrated, and do your best.

Heck no Hahahaha. We had a schedule kind of like that for our first couple classes, but now we are on a 8-12 schedule for the most part with a lot of homework(prep work) for the next days class.

Heck no Hahahaha. We had a schedule kind of like that for our first couple classes, but now we are on a 8-12 schedule for the most part with a lot of homework(prep work) for the next days class.
I’m honestly not sure which I’d prefer; having my schedule or having less time in class but having homework. We only have homework for one class, and it’s a wildlife elective. I’m horrible with homework.

I’m honestly not sure which I’d prefer; having my schedule or having less time in class but having homework. We only have homework for one class, and it’s a wildlife elective. I’m horrible with homework.
Yeah it’s almost a middle ground between PBL and didactic here. I hated the homework at first, but I’m getting used to it now. It’s nice to get out of class so early but some days I really miss traditional lectures.

Wait I literally had such a similar bad urgent care experience this week!! On Sunday I woke up with the worst abdominal pain I've ever felt and was convinced it was appendicitis, and when I went to urgent care they did the basic tests and then were like "yeah sorry you're in pain, but we can't fit you in for an ultrasound so....just get one tomorrow or something" and I was like ?????
So for the past 4 days I've been freaking out just to get every test come back normal (thankfully), but the entire time I was more worried about the fact that I wasn't studying for this anatomy exam:dead:

• Sad
So had our first histology exam this week. Walked out of the exam in full blown tears and went outside to try and calm myself down. They always say “guys it’s okay if you fail a test. It happens. You’re still going to be a vet.” But like what class did you fail a test in?!

So had our first histology exam this week. Walked out of the exam in full blown tears and went outside to try and calm myself down. They always say “guys it’s okay if you fail a test. It happens. You’re still going to be a vet.” But like what class did you fail a test in?!
Renal physiology

Reactions: 3 users
LA Anatomy
Therio

It happens. It's okay <3

Wait till you get your exam back, maybe it went better than expected. But if not, go talk to the instructor. Usually they're happy to sit down with you and talk about your exam, and if they saw any common themes with what you missed. Vet school can definitely be an adjustment for how people study, so maybe they could also have tips on how to study for the next one. *Tons* of people fail exams in vet school. Half my class failed renal phys first year, and that was with a curve.... that instructor no longer teaches it :p But it's okay. One bad exam isn't a big deal. Exam grades have no bearing on your ability to be a vet :)