Class of 2023... how you doin?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But like what class did you fail a test in?!

I've failed multiple tests. Failed first year in fact. Came back and am now in third year! A single test will not define your future. You got this!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
So had our first histology exam this week. Walked out of the exam in full blown tears and went outside to try and calm myself down. They always say “guys it’s okay if you fail a test. It happens. You’re still going to be a vet.” But like what class did you fail a test in?!
I see you go to Iowa State! I failed that first test later year too and I know a lot of other people did too due to spending so much time studying for anatomy the week before. You will definitely have chances to get your grade up and do better next time! And if you're really concerned I know he's a really good professor to talk to (a lot of people say he seems very dad-like haha)

Reactions: 2 users
Uhhhh I failed a lot of exams probably. Idek. One per class? Probably close to that, to varying degrees. I think my worst grade was either a large animal anatomy lab exam or an exam I was late for and didn’t finish (whoops). Both were like 30s or 40s. Not good. Still passed.

It’ll be okay.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Principles of Anesthesia & Surgery

Honorable Mention for Pharmacology where I was .5% above failing the exam
Oh if we're doing honorable mentions then I barely passed the first two Ag animal exams lol like, either at the minimum passing score or just barely over it. Clearly I am not meant to be around any large animals :p

Oh if we're doing honorable mentions then I barely passed the first two Ag animal exams lol like, either at the minimum passing score or just barely over it. Clearly I am not meant to be around any large animals :p

I felt like Pharm deserved an honorable mention because I almost failed that whole class :laugh:

So had our first histology exam this week. Walked out of the exam in full blown tears and went outside to try and calm myself down. They always say “guys it’s okay if you fail a test. It happens. You’re still going to be a vet.” But like what class did you fail a test in?!
Large animal anatomy, second semester histology (the first GI exam is rather infamous, ha), parasitology... all also at Iowa State. It’s a pretty common experience for vet students to fail at least one or two exams at some point over their schooling; almost all of them bounce back and do fine from that point on, so this absolutely isn’t necessarily a fatal blow to you. One failed exam doesn’t mean that you won’t or can’t be a vet so long as you are able to identify what happened in your preparations and actively work to correct it, whether that means dedicating more time to the subject or switching up study methods entirely.

I’d recommend that you meet up with the professor and discuss what you think may have gone wrong and any potential study and/or exam-taking strategies that might help you out in the future. I second @Barkley13 ‘s observation that that particular exam tends to be one that a lot of students do poorly on because they are so hyperfocused on studying for the first anatomy exam around the same time and aren’t completely cognizant of exactly how much time and effort should be sunk into that class versus others. You’re still early into things; you’re likely not yet fully adjusted to the load. It happens. You’ll get a better grasp and feel for that as you progress. If it helps, I personally thought that the material for the second histology exam was considerably easier than the first, though I might be alone in that, I don’t know.

Anyway, if you still find yourself struggling, OASA sends out emails to students with any C grades or lower around midterm time offering to set up tutoring. I highly, highly suggest taking them up on this if you feel at all that you need it. I probably wouldn’t have passed large animal anatomy without tutoring, to be entirely honest. Not that that wound up mattering in the end, but... it was incredibly helpful, nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reproduction ew

Reactions: 1 user
But also I point you to this post of mine. I'm still barely getting by sometimes except now I'm really happy about it lol
Yay! Best news ever! I passed the infectious disease mini-block. I was honestly worried I'd have to remediate which while not the end of the world is extra stress I don't need. Obviously I didn't do well but I passed and I'm stupid happy.

So my class just had our first exams, and tbh I did really well. But, there's a part of me that is waiting for the ball to drop and for something to go wrong. It's like I have a baseline level of anxiety that never goes away.

My biggest issue right now is my personal life. I don't feel that I've found my "place" yet. I see groups of people hanging out and acting like old buddies and I'm like how? it's been 4 weeks?! And I have always considered myself a social person...
I've waited SO long for my life to have some purpose and I really do feel that I am where I'm meant to be, but damn it, I miss my friends and my city. It doesn't help that I'm lonely af while half my class is married/in a relationship.

*LE SIGH*

Reactions: 3 users
So my class just had our first exams, and tbh I did really well. But, there's a part of me that is waiting for the ball to drop and for something to go wrong. It's like I have a baseline level of anxiety that never goes away.

My biggest issue right now is my personal life. I don't feel that I've found my "place" yet. I see groups of people hanging out and acting like old buddies and I'm like how? it's been 4 weeks?! And I have always considered myself a social person...
I've waited SO long for my life to have some purpose and I really do feel that I am where I'm meant to be, but damn it, I miss my friends and my city. It doesn't help that I'm lonely af while half my class is married/in a relationship.

*LE SIGH*
Hi let’s be friends

Members don't see this ad :)
I see groups of people hanging out and acting like old buddies and I'm like how? it's been 4 weeks?!

To be honest, I don't really talk to my initial first year friend group, let alone hang out with them. I have an entirely different friend group compared to first year. I felt the same about people being so invested in one another so early. 4 weeks is not enough time for me to really bond with people.

Don't sweat it :) If you ever want to meet up with the active SDN peeps, you can message @SkiOtter, @SportPonies, or I!

Reactions: 1 users
****update: I didn’t fail, I passed but didn’t fail**** so I’m beyond grateful for that but I realize I’m being overly dramatic

I see you go to Iowa State! I failed that first test later year too and I know a lot of other people did too due to spending so much time studying for anatomy the week before. You will definitely have chances to get your grade up and do better next time! And if you're really concerned I know he's a really good professor to talk to (a lot of people say he seems very dad-like haha)
I emailed him to talk to him about how to better study for his exams. I was hyper focused on fine details because of anatomy but I’ll figure it out eventually lol also can we be friends since we go to the same school?!

Reactions: 7 users
There is always a feeling of being unsure/inadequate for the most part associated with medicine, and doing anything complicated in life really. I think making sure you learn from when you are wrong is the best way to view these things. It is wonderful when you are getting it right, but honestly I benefit much more from learning from my mistakes. You guys are doing great. Just remember you are humans and perfection is not to be sought after, but evolving with each new situation. Much love sent your way as you start getting into the nitty gritty and exhausting process of vet school. Life isn't meant to be taken seriously all the time, so take those moments purposefully occasionally to let loose and just be silly and uncaring about reality. :)

Reactions: 4 users
****update: I didn’t fail, I passed but didn’t fail**** so I’m beyond grateful for that but I realize I’m being overly dramatic

I emailed him to talk to him about how to better study for his exams. I was hyper focused on fine details because of anatomy but I’ll figure it out eventually lol also can we be friends since we go to the same school?!
Of course!!

Histology :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
i'm 5 years out and literally don't remember if i failed any exams in vet school because it doesn't matter at all

edit: clearly if i did, i did not learn from it :unsure:

Reactions: 10 users
i'm 5 years out and literally don't remember if i failed any exams in vet school because it doesn't matter at all

I’m like, I think I failed a lot? But maybe that’s just what I remember? Kind of like only remembering the bad comments or reviews. I dunno. I can’t remember a single grade, aside from that one terrible lab practical in anatomy (because it was one of the most unpleasant hours of my life) and the exam I missed half of (because having exams at 8am no matter what class they are for instead of having them during that class makes sense?) Otherwise uhh yeah. Beats me.

I did find some scantrons (from undergrad, presumably) and had a visceral reaction to the stupid orange bubbles. Shredded them for the satisfaction of it.

Pretty sure I got ~65 on my first histo exam in 1st year, and the class average was a 94. Same with a couple small animal anatomy exams. It's not a great feeling, so I sympathize.

...Then later on though, I had almost a 4.0 in a semester where a lot of my classmates struggled. Now it seems to have flip-flopped again for some courses.

Throughout school, you'll find things that are just naturally harder for you and things that are easier -- continue to reach out to professors to ask for help if you feel you are falling behind.

Also, leverage your friends! My friends are really good with infectious disease, birds (aaahh), anatomy, gen path, neurology, therio, and clin path. They come up with some great ways to help me remember those things, since rote memorization is really hard for me. I am good with anything related to cats, horses, drugs, and cardiovascular & respiratory stuff, and so I'll help them with fluid rates and drug mechanisms.

Everyone will find some areas where they shine, and teaching others is a great way to learn, so team up with some good study buddies :)

Reactions: 6 users
Had a full on panic attack today. 50% of our grade for neurology rides on today, tomorrow, and Friday. I am very stressed and sleep deprived between that and family crap. This morning I was rushing out at 7am, and didn't close the back door all the way and our 3 big dogs were outside ALL DAY with no fence. Our neighbor called my husband at 3:30pm to ask if our dogs were inside because she thought she saw them in our yard. It was them, and she was able to catch them and put them in the house. They were literally out since 7am.... I still can't believe that I did that. Just goes to show that vet school kills your brain sometimes. I'm just thankful I have super good dogs who stayed close, and a caring neighbor. :oops:

• Wow
Had a full on panic attack today. 50% of our grade for neurology rides on today, tomorrow, and Friday. I am very stressed and sleep deprived between that and family crap. This morning I was rushing out at 7am, and didn't close the back door all the way and our 3 big dogs were outside ALL DAY with no fence. Our neighbor called my husband at 3:30pm to ask if our dogs were inside because she thought she saw them in our yard. It was them, and she was able to catch them and put them in the house. They were literally out since 7am.... I still can't believe that I did that. Just goes to show that vet school kills your brain sometimes. I'm just thankful I have super good dogs who stayed close, and a caring neighbor. :oops:
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!! :biglove: :biglove: :biglove: :biglove: :luck::luck:

Ah! Oh no! Glad everything turned out ok. My brain has been rubbish lately too. I think I've just given up on half the sentences that come out of my mouth the past couple weeks.
Deep breathes, Mo, we've got this!

Mnemonics for everything in anatomy. I taught my (human) anatomy kids about Shamu's 'special' little brother, MARMU. I had a picture showing the brachial plexus and how each crosses over etc. and it ended in MARMU - musculocutaneous axillary radial median ulnar - so... find ways to make it like that. It helps. Them more idiotic, the better. Draw pictures to help you remember - spend 10 minutes making an orca on your study paper and that will stick in your head - "Oh yeah, the orca, what was that? Not Shamu... oh, MARMU, okay."

This is my best possible advice for anatomy. You won't remember it forever and ever but you don't need to - you'll review it when relevant and forget most of the rest of it. Along with everyone else.

Yeah our prof taught us SS MARMU to include subscapular and superscapular nerves in the brachial plexus

We had our anatomy written today and our first anatomy practical Tuesday. Over the entire dog. FML.

Our first exam was 2 weeks ago and we have 1-2 exams a week until 10/21.

When people ask me if I’m ok I just laugh.

Yeah our prof taught us SS MARMU to include subscapular and superscapular nerves in the brachial plexus

We had our anatomy written today and our first anatomy practical Tuesday. Over the entire dog. FML.

For the brachial plexus we were given SS MARMULT, it just includes lateral thoracic n. and thoracodorsal n. too.

Our second anatomy and physiology exams are this coming week and I am zero prepared. After our first exam cycle my brain just shut off and refused to study.

We also have at least one exam per week for the rest of this month. WE GOT THIS.

It's amazing how weeks can fly by but also drag on so slowly like they have been. How tf is it October already?

My version was community college human anatomy level so it skipped some detail. I hope they keep it in they brains and then add to it later.

Second year student at UPenn...just popping in to say you'll get through it. :) The first block of exams SUCKS...but just you'll feel great once you get through it! After your anatomy exam...TAKE THE NIGHT OFF. I remember all I wanted to do was start studying histology, but my anatomy group/the group that worked behind us convinced me to go to happy hour with them and I was way more productive having had a mental health break. Histology seems super scary because of how they structure the test...but its really not that bad and you know more than you think you do (I promise!). Definitely do the mock histo practical...SUPER helpful. I know its exhausting, but its downhill after anatomy and you guys are SO CLOSE!

Reactions: 3 users
Re: failing tests. I failed tests in vet school. Yes, it's a horrible and dreadful feeling, so those feelings are valid. BUT, I promise, it doesn't reflect on your ability to be a great vet. I forgot all the minutia, most of anatomy, most of pharmacology, etc. If I need to look something up, I will tell clients I need to further research xyz, and they are grateful I took the time to do so. Everything will be okay. :)

I’m like, I think I failed a lot? But maybe that’s just what I remember? Kind of like only remembering the bad comments or reviews. I dunno. I can’t remember a single grade, aside from that one terrible lab practical in anatomy (because it was one of the most unpleasant hours of my life) and the exam I missed half of (because having exams at 8am no matter what class they are for instead of having them during that class makes sense?) Otherwise uhh yeah. Beats me.

Yup. I’m someone who tests super well and probably had less than 5 exams throughout all of vet school where I scored below 80, and I don’t think any under 75. What do I have to show for it? Nothing. Well, the same DVM that everyone else has. I’m just a regular ole ho hum gp. It truly doesn’t matter.

I don’t remember 75% of the tested material from vet school just like everyone else. So at the end of the day, it really really doesn’t matter.

Reactions: 7 users
It's rather humerus.
34C698D9-F1FF-4413-A867-4449DE1E8DE9.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Instead of studying for our first anatomy practical tomorrow, I went and chopped my hair off.

Is this how Britney’s spiral began? Was she in vet school?

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
There was a girl in my class that would read someone else’s study guide that they spent days making... just a few times, you know, with the TV on in the background. Would score better than the person that made the review...

(Neither person was me lol. I would study completely differently for everything and do about the same no matter what. :shrug: )

Instead of studying for our first anatomy practical tomorrow, I went and chopped my hair off.
I dyed my hair purple after I recovered from our first anatomy exam so I can relate to this:banana:

I feel like I'm having a hard time figuring out how upset I should be over my grades. I'm not failing (so that's a relief) but I feel like I should be doing better. If I were seeing continuous improvement it would be one thing, but just oscillating around the same grade range is frustrating because I feel like I have a good grasp of what's going on, I can follow along in class and work through our problems, but then the exam doesn't go well.

I feel like I'm having a hard time figuring out how upset I should be over my grades. I'm not failing (so that's a relief) but I feel like I should be doing better. If I were seeing continuous improvement it would be one thing, but just oscillating around the same grade range is frustrating because I feel like I have a good grasp of what's going on, I can follow along in class and work through our problems, but then the exam doesn't go well.
Don't stress. Learn the material as best you can, and review exams to see what little things you aren't quite catching. Taking exams is an art form within itself. A lot of times those points are lost due to not reading the question right, or not catching little things wrong in the answer choices.

Don't stress. Learn the material as best you can, and review exams to see what little things you aren't quite catching. Taking exams is an art form within itself. A lot of times those points are lost due to not reading the question right, or not catching little things wrong in the answer choices.
That's definitely part of it. I swear I used to take tests well, and now it's like my nerves get the best of me and I skip parts of sentences. I'm hoping as I get used to being in school again some of that will get better and I can remind myself to slow down and reread things.

Don't beat yourself up...the first few exams are sort of a learning experience. You'll get more used to what kinds of thing each professor thinks is important/how they phrase their questions etc. There are also always going to be one or two professors that just write questions you're going to struggle with because they way they think about things doesn't quite click. It takes a while to figure out how you personally study best...and unfortunately that usually involves some trial end error. But that's OK! Vet schools is SO MUCH material and SO MANY credits that an exam or two not going well now absolutely will not make or break you and the important things will be repeated, so the first time you see something isn't your only chance to learn it. Be patient with yourself for now, you'll get in a routine eventually :)

And if you're not happy with how your doing maybe see if your school has any second or third years willing to tutor. That can be super helpful not just for content, but also because they've taken the courses, they know the professors, and they know what some of the common pitfalls are.

That's definitely part of it. I swear I used to take tests well, and now it's like my nerves get the best of me and I skip parts of sentences. I'm hoping as I get used to being in school again some of that will get better and I can remind myself to slow down and reread things.
Not sure if your school does exam reviews, but if they do, I recommend going. It's how I found out that whenever I change answers on a second or third pass through, my grade drops by about 5-10 points.

Plus, it's helpful for learning the content. I'm not sure if others have this experience, but if I get a question wrong and then see the correct answer, my brain will typically cement that factoid much more strongly than the ones I got right. When I don't get to see what I got wrong, it actually makes me uneasy now.

Also, if you are confused during an exam and have the ability to ask questions, do it.

Seriously. I have had professors basically feed me the correct answers in the middle of a test. They don't like to see students stressed out over dumb things like question wording when it's clear someone knows the content. And even if they don't give anything away, sometimes just talking through my own reasoning out loud will snap me out of whatever anxiety-driven death spiral I was on.

It’s the home stretch of exam hell month and I’m breaking down, but almost there. I feel like I’m constantly vibrating due to the stress, lack of sleep, and subsistence on fast food and other kinds of takeout. I’m going to find a better balance between studying and relaxing because while cramming is getting me through, it’s not sustainable.
It’s gonna be fine. Everything is fine.

The first exam block was the worst part of first semester and its almost done! :) But going to be completely honest, I said the exact same thing about not cramming when it was over....fast forward a couple months and I proceeded to START studying for the histology practical the day before and may have not studied for the first microbiology exam this year until 3 days before the exam. :whistle: Definitely try to avoid it as much as possible...but if you need to cram here and there don't beat yourself up because it happens! And if you need to take some time off to do something fun...DO IT!! Even it that means you may need to cram a little before or after! :) (says the person currently cramming for pathology because they went home to visit a friend Friday night)
I’ve been trying to do some self care like visiting family and friends, but currently almost all of my friends are either in vet school with me or out of state to the point where I can’t leave. And my vet school friends study way more than I do so there’s less of an opportunity to hang out with them with my current study habits. So the only real way to fill my time would be to study more...

I honestly just think it’s a one semester type issue. This is the adjustment period and it’s apparently the hardest quarter I’ll have for a while. So hopefully once this is over and I’ve passed this hurdle I’ll be more prepared to change up my habits.

It’s the home stretch of exam hell month and I’m breaking down, but almost there. I feel like I’m constantly vibrating due to the stress, lack of sleep, and subsistence on fast food and other kinds of takeout. I’m going to find a better balance between studying and relaxing because while cramming is getting me through, it’s not sustainable.
It’s gonna be fine. Everything is fine.
Get a bag of mixed salad and dressing. Easiest lunch you can pack. Get baby carrots or grapes for a snack. It's really important to not live on fast food if you can help it especially when you're stressed. Get apples, pears, or oranges to eat for breakfast-even granola or protein bars. Add some nutrients in your life! Also getting more sleep is better. You'll thank yourself later. I promise you have time. It may not feel like it, but you do. Good luck!

It's how I found out that whenever I change answers on a second or third pass through, my grade drops by about 5-10 points.

See this is why I ONLY go back and check the questions that I flag...because otherwise I could talk myself out of the correct answer on half the test!

See this is why I ONLY go back and check the questions that I flag...because otherwise I could talk myself out of the correct answer on half the test!
YES. This is good advice; for those with this issue, try to get into the habit of not going back and checking other answers that you were previously pretty sure about. Go with your first gut instinct on exams. It’s usually right.

That exact behavior screwed me over so many times while I was still in vet school, particularly on anatomy exams.

“Nah, that can’t be right. There’s no way he’d pin the medial retropharyngeal lnn. That would be far too easy.” - it really was that easy.

“Wait, I don’t think it’s the ventricularis m.; that’s too cranial.” - it wasn’t too cranial, the angle at which it was pinned was weird.

Don’t overthink and second-guess things that you were initially confident about. You did likely at least 20-30 hours worth of studying, after all; have faith in yourself that you know the material.

Reactions: 5 users