Class of 2023... how you doin?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s the home stretch of exam hell month and I’m breaking down, but almost there. I feel like I’m constantly vibrating due to the stress, lack of sleep, and subsistence on fast food and other kinds of takeout. I’m going to find a better balance between studying and relaxing because while cramming is getting me through, it’s not sustainable.
It’s gonna be fine. Everything is fine.

Hang in there and remember to take real study breaks- going out for a walk, watching a movie, calling a friend or family member, etc. I did a lot of cramming and it got me through, but I never did all nighters or anything like that.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve been trying to do some self care like visiting family and friends, but currently almost all of my friends are either in vet school with me or out of state to the point where I can’t leave. And my vet school friends study way more than I do so there’s less of an opportunity to hang out with them with my current study habits. So the only real way to fill my time would be to study more...

I honestly just think it’s a one semester type issue. This is the adjustment period and it’s apparently the hardest quarter I’ll have for a while. So hopefully once this is over and I’ve passed this hurdle I’ll be more prepared to change up my habits.

Make taking care of yourself a priority!

Sleeping and eating well are sooo important. Last week I had a biochem exam that I was really worried about and decided to stay up way too late all week and ate very poorly. By the end of the week I was not well (both emotionally and physically) even though it honestly wasn't any busier than the weeks I had before.

I have a crockpot I use for meal prepping and I love my cast iron skillet because I can just throw vegetables in there and they roast very nicely in the oven with very little effort on my part.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm that weird person who goes back through the entire exam and changes answers. I always misread at least one or two questions usually at the beginning and make really silly mistakes.

Buuuuuut my usual tactic is to fly through the exam answering whatever I can and then going back over everything. It's a habit I picked up in undergrad because I would run out of time on my exams and not get to all the questions.

Six weeks straight of at least one exam per week. I’m sick of it. We have anatomy on Thursday and immunology on Friday. I’m so ready for next week when I can finally relax a small amount. How are the rest of you holding up?

Reactions: 2 users
Six weeks straight of at least one exam per week. I’m sick of it. We have anatomy on Thursday and immunology on Friday. I’m so ready for next week when I can finally relax a small amount. How are the rest of you holding up?
Sounds like a tough few weeks!
I have finals tomorrow and Thursday and then a 3-day weekend off before starting new classes Monday. But I know I passed one class so far!

I had the same thing for most of October. It’s awful. I don’t have exams again until two weeks from now. So that’s nice. I’m just very drained in every way. Honestly the emotional aspect of it is the worst.

It's rough. Had Physiology and Developmental Anatomy last week, have Anatomy tomorrow with Radiographic Anatomy Friday, Histology on Tuesday, then Physiology the following Monday.

Sounds like a tough few weeks!
I have finals tomorrow and Thursday and then a 3-day weekend off before starting new classes Monday. But I know I passed one class so far!
New classes already? Dang, I couldn't imagine being on a quarter system right now. I barely feel like I've learned anything and I think we are in week 10 of 16 of this semester.

I had the same thing for most of October. It’s awful. I don’t have exams again until two weeks from now. So that’s nice. I’m just very drained in every way. Honestly the emotional aspect of it is the worst.
We haven't had one full week without a real exam since the last week of September. We get next week off then have physiology again the week after. I'm also extremely drained. I'm doing my best to create a work-life balance though. I force myself to take breaks after exams to just hang out with people or literally do nothing for a day or two.

It's rough. Had Physiology and Developmental Anatomy last week, have Anatomy tomorrow with Radiographic Anatomy Friday, Histology on Tuesday, then Physiology the following Monday.
You've got a heavy load facing you too. We can do it! I'm so completely ready to be done with cardiac and head anatomy. The cranial nerves and all of their foramen are getting to me--not to mention the five million nerve branches in the head and the various muscles that they innervate :vomit:

Reactions: 1 user
Well. I spoke too soon. We had our final scheduled for today from 9-12 and then 1-4, and at 10 the servers crashed and no one could get them back up. So instead of a day off tomorrow, my whole class gets to come in and see if maybe the system is working now.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I have my dev bio final tomorrow. I walked home from the library at 10:30 and sat down just for a second.
That was such a terrible mistake because there is literally nothing left in my body to initiate the muscle contractions needed to propel me off of my bed and into a position to continue studying.

Send help.

• Sad
I have my dev bio final tomorrow. I walked home from the library at 10:30 and sat down just for a second.
That was such a terrible mistake because there is literally nothing left in my body to initiate the muscle contractions needed to propel me off of my bed and into a position to continue studying.

Send help.
It’s fine everything is fine DONT PANIC

I'm so ready for Thanksgiving break. That's all I can say right now.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can’t tell you how many time this happened to me my first year. Lots of times I just gave into the feeling and I ended up doing fine.

I can’t tell you how many time this happened to me my first year. Lots of times I just gave into the feeling and I ended up doing fine.
Yeah all nighters or even late nighters I found really hurt my ability to think on the test the next morning so even if I'm not even remotely finished, by midnight I go to bed the night before any exam. It helps. Good luck all!

Yeah all nighters or even late nighters I found really hurt my ability to think on the test the next morning so even if I'm not even remotely finished, by midnight I go to bed the night before any exam. It helps. Good luck all!

I was definitely a quitter. When you reach the point where you can’t even get up, your brain is far past its ability to retain anything. Getting some food and some sleep is a lot more important. Hang in there guys!

Reactions: 7 users
We have a break from exams this week so I decided to re-download Minecraft as a "fun break" but now I can't..stop....playing ito_O

We have a break from exams this week so I decided to re-download Minecraft as a "fun break" but now I can't..stop....playing ito_O
I always find myself doing that during breaks. Especially games like that that don’t have a set endpoint. Suddenly 6 hours later you realize you should probably stop.

• Haha
My friend was recently looking up some games that we share fond memories of playing as children including Putt-Putt and Freddi the Fish, and found that they are available on Steam for pretty cheap. So that's my plan for winter break - relive my childhood :p
Also, Monkey Island series is on there, too. Another favorite as a kid.

• Love
I am sick! Again! I got a cold a couple weeks after classes started after having gone 1.5 years without one and now, here I am, less than 3 months later and I'm sick. At least it's break for most of us a day early (25% have a class tomorrow but for us other 75% we don't) so I don't feel crashing on the couch today instead of going out. But I hope it doesn't last too long because I have major plans to be productive during break.

I am sick! Again! I got a cold a couple weeks after classes started after having gone 1.5 years without one and now, here I am, less than 3 months later and I'm sick. At least it's break for most of us a day early (25% have a class tomorrow but for us other 75% we don't) so I don't feel crashing on the couch today instead of going out. But I hope it doesn't last too long because I have major plans to be productive during break.
Welcome to 1st year where you confine 90+ people to one room for 5+ hours a day/5days a week :) There should be a round 3 for you to look forward to in the Spring when you all get back, some people were unlucky and had 4 rounds of illness. Don't worry it gets better come 2nd year.

• Sad

I feel your pain. I've been sick 3x this semester and have been on antibiotics twice. Once for strep and once for an ear infection (I haven't had an ear infection since I was like 4 years old....)

• Sad
I feel your pain. I've been sick 3x this semester and have been on antibiotics twice. Once for strep and once for an ear infection (I haven't had an ear infection since I was like 4 years old....)
I got an ear infection in both my ears for the first time since I was a kid too!! I legit couldn’t hear anything and felt bad because my lab group had to basically yell to have a conversation with me :dead:

• Sad
I got an ear infection in both my ears for the first time since I was a kid too!! I legit couldn’t hear anything and felt bad because my lab group had to basically yell to have a conversation with me :dead:

This happened to me first year too lol. I hadn't had an ear infection since I was a kid and ended up with both an inner and outer ear infection. It was absolutely misery.

If anybody in here hasn't played a WW game with us before, now is the time to sign up for this year's beginner game :)

Welp I've reached the point where caffeine isn't even keeping me awake. Only 6 more days!

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Good things are happening that I am looking forward to, and somehow I'm happy/not grumpy even though we have 4 exams in the next 6 days. Maybe I'm just in denial.

We've got this guys. Just a few more days until we are 1/8th vets lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

Studying for biochem, then for histo lab and lecture exams. As of Wednesday I’ll be done. We got this!!!

Also I treated myself and ordered the new AirPods Pro. I’m fine it’s all fine.

Reactions: 4 users
We got 2 more finals here at UF until we are done with the first semester — clinical skills and parasitology! It’s fine, everything’s fine lol.

Where are we at with finals?

My dinner was digging into a newly opened jar of Nutella and eating it by the spoonful

Reactions: 2 users

My dinner was digging into a newly opened jar of Nutella and eating it by the spoonful
Literally me as I eat peanut butter out of the jar and watch cooking videos so I can pretend I'm eating a real meal:rofl:

Literally me as I eat peanut butter out of the jar and watch cooking videos so I can pretend I'm eating a real meal:rofl:

Oh yeah we passed the PB stage last week. It had been my sustenance for the last 3 weeks but we’ve moved on to straight up Nutella now

• Haha

Finished this morning!

Thought I'd feel good but kind of just feel deflated and blah like all the feelings I've been compressing with studying are coming up

Low key excited for second semester, but absolutely terrified for my drive over the pass to get back to school tomorrow. I have snow tires and chains ready, extra sand and gas and an emergency kit for worse case scenario, but I’m from the city and NOT accustomed to feets of snow

• Sad
Low key excited for second semester, but absolutely terrified for my drive over the pass to get back to school tomorrow. I have snow tires and chains ready, extra sand and gas and an emergency kit for worse case scenario, but I’m from the city and NOT accustomed to feets of snow
Take your time and don’t hesitate to find somewhere to stop if you need to. Even if you miss the first day of class it’s okay. You being safe driving is much more important than one day of class.

Reactions: 6 users
Make sure you check the pass before you leave, would not be surprised if it closes tomorrow later in the day.

But go slow, don’t slam on your breaks, and if you start skidding do not turn sharply to correct. That’s usually where people run into trouble.

Once you get over the pass it should be okay for the most part, but I would leave early in the day. The Palouse is suppose to get hammered this weekend so the drive from colfax to Pullman might get a little sketchy. Be safe!

Take your time and don’t hesitate to find somewhere to stop if you need to. Even if you miss the first day of class it’s okay. You being safe driving is much more important than one day of class.
Make sure you check the pass before you leave, would not be surprised if it closes tomorrow later in the day.

But go slow, don’t slam on your breaks, and if you start skidding do not turn sharply to correct. That’s usually where people run into trouble.

Once you get over the pass it should be okay for the most part, but I would leave early in the day. The Palouse is suppose to get hammered this weekend so the drive from colfax to Pullman might get a little sketchy. Be safe!

Ok plans have changed, I’m gonna be driving along the Columbia River and then up to Pullman, yeah it’ll take like 11 hours with breaks but at least it should be snow free for most of the road:eek:

Ok plans have changed, I’m gonna be driving along the Columbia River and then up to Pullman, yeah it’ll take like 11 hours with breaks but at least it should be snow free for most of the road:eek:
Good call, the pass is terrible today. That way is a long drive, but it’s beautiful!

Good call, the pass is terrible today. That way is a long drive, but it’s beautiful!

Update: just drove for “only” 8.5 hours and 580+ miles, but I finally made it to Pullman and got to see rain, sun, rainbows over the Columbia River, wind surfers on the river, tumbleweeds and dust storms, and a snow storm today lol 8/10 would do again:dead:

Reactions: 9 users
Update: just drove for “only” 8.5 hours and 580+ miles, but I finally made it to Pullman and got to see rain, sun, rainbows over the Columbia River, wind surfers on the river, tumbleweeds and dust storms, and a snow storm today lol 8/10 would do again:dead:
Glad you made it!! Good choice going the other route

• Love
One year driving back from CO to the west side of WA in undergrad, I decided to avoid Snoqualmie pass and drive along I-84 or whatever it is that runs on the Oregon side of the Columbia... I got stuck at a shutdown at Hood River, OR; the worst part was that Snoqualmie ended up being clear by the time I would’ve gone over it . I hate how that pass is so unpredictable sometimes because of how quickly it can go good or bad.

Another year, my dad and I got stuck right by Lake Kachess because they closed the pass while we were on it and ended up being stuck there for like 3 extra hours or more. What should be 2 hours from my house to Cle Elum ended up being 5+ lol.

• Wow
One year driving back from CO to the west side of WA in undergrad, I decided to avoid Snoqualmie pass and drive along I-84 or whatever it is that runs on the Oregon side of the Columbia... I got stuck at a shutdown at Hood River, OR; the worst part was that Snoqualmie ended up being clear by the time I would’ve gone over it . I hate how that pass is so unpredictable sometimes because of how quickly it can go good or bad.

Another year, my dad and I got stuck right by Lake Kachess because they closed the pass while we were on it and ended up being stuck there for like 3 extra hours or more. What should be 2 hours from my house to Cle Elum ended up being 5+ lol.
Gosh that’s terrible! My big just told me she got stuck at Stevens Pass yesterday and her journey ended up being 11 hours, yikes!

• Wow