Class of 2023... how you doin?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How is everyone doing?

I'm currently slogging through the end of semester exams and assignments, and all I can think about is how clinics are on the horizon
Sameeeee. I feel so behind on everything but at least got a few things finished up over the last couple days so I'm down to one project to finish before I can purely focus on finals. Also still trying to figure out classes for next semester and already stressing over 4th year.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Sameeeee. I feel so behind on everything but at least got a few things finished up over the last couple days so I'm down to one project to finish before I can purely focus on finals. Also still trying to figure out classes for next semester and already stressing over 4th year.

yeah I fell very behind on lectures this semester because our schedule was really jam packed :laugh:

We have a short semester next year before clinics so I'm crossing my fingers it will be a little easier

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!! 8 exams down, 2 to go. I think the most I've slept in one night over the past week is 5 hours. I hope everyone else is hanging in there too!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not 100% sure if this counts as advertising. So sorry if this isn't legal beagle!

I manage my hospital's externship program. If yall want experience small animal medicine in a sort of secondary type hospital (more capable than the standard GP, but not on the level of a tertiary referral center), let me know! I have been contacting schools directly. However, the externship posting service at some schools is limited in how to get them posted (like my posting will only be posted for 30-60 and I cant spend the time to resubmit something every month tbh). I thought posting here may reach the students I can't reach via their school lol

Not 100% sure if this counts as advertising. So sorry if this isn't legal beagle!

I manage my hospital's externship program. If yall want experience small animal medicine in a sort of secondary type hospital (more capable than the standard GP, but not on the level of a tertiary referral center), let me know! I have been contacting schools directly. However, the externship posting service at some schools is limited in how to get them posted (like my posting will only be posted for 30-60 and I cant spend the time to resubmit something every month tbh). I thought posting here may reach the students I can't reach via their school lol
idk if it's free but i know avma has a place to advertise externships through the job board

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
We just wrapped up finals week at Ross, now we have a 3 week break that is like a breath of fresh air. One more semester to push through then off to clinics! We got this

Reactions: 5 users
first day of clinics starts tomorrow for us!! i think i'm most excited to just get tomorrow over with so i can finally have an idea about what i'm supposed to be doing because i'm already lost :laugh:

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
first day of clinics starts tomorrow for us!! i think i'm most excited to just get tomorrow over with so i can finally have an idea about what i'm supposed to be doing because i'm already lost :laugh:
Ahh so exciting good luck, I'm sure you'll be great! I have 7.5 weeks left of classes/exams and am counting down every second

• Care
I'm in your class and feel the same way; I made an account just now to look for pointers on preparing for clinics because I've been stressing about it all weekend. At least we're all in the same boat. Plus, after our first rotation people across different groups will be able to tell each other what to expect from each rotation.

• Care
I'm in your class and feel the same way; I made an account just now to look for pointers on preparing for clinics because I've been stressing about it all weekend. At least we're all in the same boat. Plus, after our first rotation people across different groups will be able to tell each other what to expect from each rotation.
We made a Google doc so that we could all share experiences, real dresscode, real hours etc. I woul say 25% of people participated but by the second rotation, most had comments. We plan to gift it to the third years.

Members don't see this ad :)
i really thought i was committed to GP buuuuuuut now i'm starting to think about specializing....wish i had actually paid attention last semester when other students talked about the internship and residency process :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
OMG clinics are starting May 2nd, anyone whose already there tips are welcome :X3:

Also, has anyone bought the vet pocket IV fluid therapy Guideline for Dogs/Cats? We never really covered CRIs and adding electrolytes so I'm not confident to say the least, plus do I really understand fluids? to be seen 🥵

OMG clinics are starting May 2nd, anyone whose already there tips are welcome :X3:

Also, has anyone bought the vet pocket IV fluid therapy Guideline for Dogs/Cats? We never really covered CRIs and adding electrolytes so I'm not confident to say the least, plus do I really understand fluids? to be seen 🥵
What is this fluid therapy guideline you speak of because I def don't understand them :rofl:

My class had our first set of clinics last summer so I can maybe offer some advice! I was absolutely horrified going in/didn't feel ready but ended up having an amazing time. All of the clinicians I worked with (granted I know this isn't always the case) were very patient and encouraging. Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself if you start feeling overwhelmed or it's 3:00 and you haven't eaten anything all day, you have to take care of yourself in order to take care of your patients. Be willing to step up and try new things because you never know when that opportunity will come up again. Most importantly, remember to have fun and make everything a learning opportunity! My motto for clinics is "I can handle anything for 3 weeks!"

• Love
Oh yay! That sounds great and I love that motto!! I am telling myself it'll be like surgery, first horrified but then mostly pure joy haha. Thanks for sharing!

Im not sure I just saw a new vet share that she takes those cards with her every day during internship! Since you can't see the cards, I was wondering what others thought about them. They're from vet pocket! They also have other neat laminated cards and math books.

Every class in my school bulk orders Mini Vet Guides from Dr. Gerardo Poli in Australia.
They have a comprehensive section on fluid therapy but it's also just meant to be a pocket reference guide and contain lots of diagnostic informations.

Every class in my school bulk orders Mini Vet Guides from Dr. Gerardo Poli in Australia.
They have a comprehensive section on fluid therapy but it's also just meant to be a pocket reference guide and contain lots of diagnostic informations.
Yessss we ordered the Mini Vet Guide too and I'm OBSESSED

Did anyone else start clinics yesterday?
My first day went well. Was pretty quiet. I'm on community practice which I thought would not have weekend care but apparently we have a cat boarding the entire time I'm on rotation, so we have to go in on the weekends. But just like, once a weekend per person luckily.

• Care
Thanks, I do have that one actually! Anyone that has been in their emergency rotation, any tips?
Feeling super ill prepared and it starts next Monday (first rotation at the school) :scared:

Thanks, I do have that one actually! Anyone that has been in their emergency rotation, any tips?
Feeling super ill prepared and it starts next Monday (first rotation at the school) :scared:
I haven't been on emergency yet, but I used to work ER and loved it. From my experience doing that I just know it's good to be efficient in cleaning and restocking, and don't forget to give the doctor the signalment when you're providing history. Common mistake (I'm super guilty of it).

Read the room. It's a skill you'll acquire over clinics where you may have a question but if a resident looks stressed or a chief looks busy, hold it until there is a moment. If you see something emergent, obviously say something (every ER clinician would rather you say something and be wrong than not say something and have a patient code).

I am not doing well. I am extremely LIVID right now and need to vent. The large private shelter that I am supposed to do an externship at just up and decided to stop allowing 4th years to do surgery because the organization is not reaching it's "goal". WTF does that mean? I also hate that this org is run by rich af "philanthropists" (who made a fortune in banking btw) who take home multiple millions of dollars every year and are handicapping so many vet students who NEED an experience like this. Honestly, f***k them.

If anyone has suggestions for spay-neuter programs that take 4th years (nation-wide at this point) please drop 'em here, I'm so dejected today I am on the verge of tears and I'm usually very stoic. (ASPCA Asheville is full on all my dates, I already checked)

• Care
@dragonfroot try First Coast No More Homeless Pets in Jacksonville. I believe they allow 4th year externs to spay/neuter. The Norwood location is very high volume.

Humane Society of Huron Valley in Ann Arbor MI. I didn’t do an externship there but volunteered there in undergrad. I’ve definitely seen them allow externs to do surgery.

I am not doing well. I am extremely LIVID right now and need to vent. The large private shelter that I am supposed to do an externship at just up and decided to stop allowing 4th years to do surgery because the organization is not reaching it's "goal". WTF does that mean? I also hate that this org is run by rich af "philanthropists" (who made a fortune in banking btw) who take home multiple millions of dollars every year and are handicapping so many vet students who NEED an experience like this. Honestly, f***k them.

If anyone has suggestions for spay-neuter programs that take 4th years (nation-wide at this point) please drop 'em here, I'm so dejected today I am on the verge of tears and I'm usually very stoic. (ASPCA Asheville is full on all my dates, I already checked)
It is super ****ty for them to change the deal on you after an externship is scheduled.

Goal is probably the # of surgeries accomplished/day, and it's pretty unlikely surgical training is part of the shelter's main mission statement.

I do part time spay/neuter work and externs are a double edged sword. I like teaching and enjoy having almost-doctors around to chat with, but I can routinely knock out 5+ surgeries in the timeframe it takes an extern to do one... so if they require a lot of handholding it can really throw a wrench in my (and the techs) efficiency.

If training is not a major goal of the organization I can understand them backing off on it, as much as it sucks for the externs.

Reactions: 6 users
OH I forgot about Naples Humane Society in Florida, if you are still looking for somewhere @dragonfroot . I did a short externship there over Christmas break during 3rd year. They were all super nice and will let you do surgeries. I emailed Dr. Morton (email is on their clinic page) and set it up with him.

OH I forgot about Naples Humane Society in Florida, if you are still looking for somewhere @dragonfroot . I did a short externship there over Christmas break during 3rd year. They were all super nice and will let you do surgeries. I emailed Dr. Morton (email is on their clinic page) and set it up with him.
Dr. Morton is a super nice guy!!!!

Im sorry that sucks! Another option is Dr. Malone at the Houston humane society. If you show confidence off the batt, they're more likely to let you do more. I did a total of 27 surgeries in 2 weeks. The externship also has you rotate on intake and the clinic where you are mostly doing preventatives. They did do surgery differently than I am used to, but it was still really great to have that practice. Goodluck finding a new place!

I'm doing a preceptor at Wayside Waiffs in Kansas City in a few months. I've had classmates go there and they got to do a lot!

So how does everyone feel about the navle?

and is it just us (my school) that feel like we are not doing as many (very few) hands on doctor things which will result in not being as prepared as other grads in the past?

and is it just us (my school) that feel like we are not doing as many (very few) hands on doctor things which will result in not being as prepared as other grads in the past?
I take it next Wednesday, some days are better than others in terms of confidence... I talked with a recent grad today and her advice to me was pace yourself and take advantage of the breaks that it's an endurance test as much as anything else

I've been able to do a lot so far this year, but I feel like a lot of that has to do with the rotations I've had because I've heard classmates talk about not getting to do as much as they hoped, so I think it kinda depends on the service and the clinician as far as how hands-on things are

pace yourself and take advantage of the breaks that it's an endurance test as much as anything else
I agree with this. Bring snacks. Get up and stretch. Use the bathroom. Drink some water.
Even if you don’t want to use a break, at least take like 30 seconds to stretch your neck and back in your chair before continuing on.

Y'ALL I DID IT I SURVIVED NAVLE

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Just a reminder that basically everyone feels like they failed as they walk out of the testing center. Lots of us did not. If you did that's okay too - even though it sucks. And if I can pass it (well, did pass it - I'm certain I would fail the sh** out of it if I tried taking it now) then y'all can pass it too.

Reactions: 6 users
Y'ALL I DID IT I SURVIVED NAVLE
YAY!!!!!!!!!
Just a reminder that basically everyone feels like they failed as they walk out of the testing center. Lots of us did not. If you did that's okay too - even though it sucks. And if I can pass it (well, did pass it - I'm certain I would fail the sh** out of it if I tried taking it now) then y'all can pass it too.
I take it in 4 weeks cause I chickened out, but this helps!

• Care
I take mine this weekend and I'm crapping my pants and considering just moving it later. A lot of the residents I spoke to told me not to stress too much about it but I feel so unprepared and all the doctors I've spoken to seem to think I'll do fine. I feel so incompetent next to my peers daily. I feel like I know absolutely nothing in detail and I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same.

• Care
I take mine this weekend and I'm crapping my pants and considering just moving it later. A lot of the residents I spoke to told me not to stress too much about it but I feel so unprepared and all the doctors I've spoken to seem to think I'll do fine. I feel so incompetent next to my peers daily. I feel like I know absolutely nothing in detail and I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same.
Oh I 100% feel the same way, this year has really done a number on my imposter syndrome

• Care
I took mine like 4 weeks ago? I had many people tell me I shouldn't worry. But as a person who basically didn't study (I hated vetprep, really regretted it, my adhd brain does NOT do the learning that way, so it was a waste of money I never used), I definitely did not feel prepared. Idk if I passed or not, but I know what to do to study better next time I guess....? I think I would have benefitted more going through that like 15 page "disease list" on ICVA's website than trying to force myself to use vetprep, because the practice questions just leaked out of my brain.

Also- I did NOT use all my breaks and I do not regret it. Maybe this is specific to how my brain works, but I have always found on standardized tests that maximizing the amount of time I have "workable brain power" by trying to crank out as much of the test as I can before my mind starts to wander and cease functioning, is better for me. Once I was "in the zone" after the first section, I just powered through sections 2 and 3. I felt my mind start to wander during section 4, so then I took my first break (I took like a 20 minute break to stretch, eat, etc, then got bored and went back in) and would have done the last 3 all together if I didn't have a headache that necessitated a break to take some advil after section 5. I personally much preferred having "two tests" with a break in between to having my focus disrupted every 60 questions and forced to take a break. So don't feel *obligated* to take a break every section if that doesn't work for you.

It depends on the rotation, school, and clinician. Personally I feel ready to go work as an equine vet and I'm getting a bit cranky about being defaulted to "student role" all the time- I can tube a colic, place IVC, perform dentals, perform euthanasia, could probably do an A-O spinal tap if I really had to, radiograph all the things (except dental rads on horses... those confuse me), perform lameness exams with blocks, and even do some joint injections. If you asked me to see a small animal wellness appointment right now I might cry, but on the equine side I'm pretty much game for most things. My school has students only (no techs, no clinicians, sometimes interns/residents) in the hospital overnight and on weekends, so we do ALL the treatments.

I think I would have benefitted more going through that like 15 page "disease list" on ICVA's website than trying to force myself to use vetprep
I used Zuku and passed by a narrow margin. But in hindsight, I probably would have been better served using the ICVA lists and a Merck Manual and my notes. Zuku was useful by preparing me for the absolutely trash pictures that are used for the NAVLE. The 60s called; they want their hand film rads back.

• Haha
Also- I did NOT use all my breaks and I do not regret it. Maybe this is specific to how my brain works, but I have always found on standardized tests that maximizing the amount of time I have "workable brain power" by trying to crank out as much of the test as I can before my mind starts to wander and cease functioning, is better for me. Once I was "in the zone" after the first section, I just powered through sections 2 and 3. I felt my mind start to wander during section 4, so then I took my first break (I took like a 20 minute break to stretch, eat, etc, then got bored and went back in) and would have done the last 3 all together if I didn't have a headache that necessitated a break to take some advil after section 5. I personally much preferred having "two tests" with a break in between to having my focus disrupted every 60 questions and forced to take a break. So don't feel *obligated* to take a break every section if that doesn't work for you.
Just echoing this. I am very much a "get through it get it done" type personality once I'm focused on something, and I literally only took one break before the final section of my test where I swigged some water and stretched my legs for 5, maybe 10 minutes max and my brain wanted to just get back to it.

I passed with plenty of room for comfort. Different strokes, different folks.

I didn’t stop at all. Definitely do what feels best for you, whether that is frequent breaks, powering through, or something in the middle.

I found them helpful for knowing more of where I needed to study and knowing the flow of the test, but I did one three months before my exam date and one close to a month before my exam date so I had time to change my studying. I did the one where you can find out your answers, but I didn’t really look at them at all. Their score prediction is not 100% accurate though. I know more than one person who was predicted to not pass the week of their exam (so minimal more study time) and passed just fine. If you don’t have much time to change study habits, don’t take it. You don’t need to freak yourself out and stress if you’re one of those people who will pass but it says otherwise.