Class of 2023... how you doin?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Already feeling it too! Real conscious about my mental health this semester, so I don't feel as overhwlmed as the last. I need to start working out, but it is so hard to stay consistent with no accountability o_O Kudos to the running:clap:
Running has become my coping mechanism for stress... I used to be *terrible* at it (like, I was the kid who passed out after running an 11 minute mile terrible). I adopted a dog with separation anxiety first year and with only so many hours in the day to walk/exercise her I took up running mostly to tire her out so she would be less stressed when I wasn’t home.

Last week my dog and I ran 6 miles without walking any of it 😁. It’s taken almost 2 years to actually make progress with the whole running thing, but being *good* at something has been a big motivator for me when everything else is heaping a big dose of imposter syndrome on me.

For what it’s worth I haaaate other forms of working out. I’ve tried the gym, pilates, even yoga... I get bored. Running is the thing that finally “clicked” for me. Now if I could just get the same feeling of success from my studying...

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Good news-had my thyroidectomy on 2/1 was able to stay on top of my assignments and lectures and now im caught up with my classmates!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got 2 new foster cats last week and one of them was so shy when he first got here, but last night he slept in bed with me all night:biglove: they also look almost identical my cats at home which freaked me out when I first saw them!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I got 2 new foster cats last week and one of them was so shy when he first got here, but last night he slept in bed with me all night:biglove: they also look almost identical my cats at home which freaked me out when I first saw them!
Uh this post is useless without photos.....

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Honestly after all the time I've spent on this site I've never figured out how to make a post with links/images so this is big for me. Hopefully it works!!
IMG_0930.jpeg
IMG_0926.jpeg

All black is Angel, black and white is Mango!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
So our class started doing surgeries on cadaver animals before doing live surgery. I know the steps and what to do, but my hands are shakey and I second guess myself a lot. Any tips to help overcome this? I have practice suture pads to work to get the technical skills down, I just want to learn how to be more confident lol

So our class started doing surgeries on cadaver animals before doing live surgery. I know the steps and what to do, but my hands are shakey and I second guess myself a lot. Any tips to help overcome this? I have practice suture pads to work to get the technical skills down, I just want to learn how to be more confident lol
In truth it's something that you will improve on with practice and experience! It's hard to walk the line between conscientious and confident but you get better at it as you get more procedures under your belt.

If anything, practicing basic things like suture spacing, bite distances, and atraumatic tissue handling are really helpful. If you can make those things second nature it can help with reducing the second guessing. Similarly, getting very very familiar with the steps for procedures is helpful too so when you do panic you can remind yourself that you know what you're doing, you've already done XYZ step, you're starting ABC step, etc. Also helpful to review how you know you have the right organ/structure during your procedure.

And, of course - remembering common complications and what you can do about them! You can make bigger incisions if you need to, you understand hemostasis, you know how to suture, you've got this!

Tuck your elbows, relax your shoulders, and don't forget you're allowed to rest your hands/arms on the patient and/or drape :) that should help with the shakey hands a bit from the physical standpoint. Otherwise I second everything @vetmedhead said!

Things are starting to feel super real! Almost half of my class has made it through spay labs now, and I'm just a little over a month away from my first one! We also have our first set of rotations this summer and I officially have my externship lined up and am just waiting for them to send me the paperwork back so I can get everything submitted for approval. Still blows my mind that I'm already at this point!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Things are starting to feel super real! Almost half of my class has made it through spay labs now, and I'm just a little over a month away from my first one! We also have our first set of rotations this summer and I officially have my externship lined up and am just waiting for them to send me the paperwork back so I can get everything submitted for approval. Still blows my mind that I'm already at this point!
Wow! You guys get two years of clinicals? That sounds nice.

We don't start spays until the fall and rotations next May.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow! You guys get two years of clinicals? That sounds nice.

We don't start spays until the fall and rotations next May.

VMCVM does a split year of clinicals

Summer clinicals (5 rotations) between 2nd and 3rd year
Academic year clinicals (12 rotations) during 4th year

It's a little weird, but has some advantages... Gives you a chance to change your mind if you don't like your track after spending some time in rotations (you are locked into your track during Fall of 3rd year).
Also means that we get the summer between 3rd and 4th year to have more NAVLE prep time, spend time working or shadowing at clinics where you might want to apply for jobs the next year, or just take a long vacation before you spend the academic year in clinics.

Some schools do two years of clinics though... Missouri? Midwestern maybe?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Mizzou and Mississippi are the 2 full years, then Michigan does a year and a half as the next closest I think

Mizzou and Mississippi are the 2 full years, then Michigan does a year and a half as the next closest I think
Tennessee does a year and a half now as well
Or...a year and a semester I guess...whatever, they start In January and end the next May lol

Reactions: 3 users
Tennessee does a year and a half now as well
Or...a year and a semester I guess...whatever, they start In January and end the next May lol
Thats what Michigan does too I think. Then it sounds like starts sometime between March and May of third year.

I’m trying to decide if living 35 minutes from campus with spotty internet but my horse in my backyard (it’s a property with an attached pasture) is worth it. It’s going to suck in clinics sure... but I can’t keep driving 30+ minutes back and forth to the barn he’s at now, and my apartment complex has some issues (neighbor is a smoker, so now all my things smell like smoke and the laundry situation is awful). But I’m really tired of making mistake after mistake with my living situation/decisions and wondering if I should just stick with the devil I know. Never thought the hardest and most stressful thing about vet school would be finding housing that isn’t terrible for some reason or another...

I’m trying to decide if living 35 minutes from campus with spotty internet but my horse in my backyard (it’s a property with an attached pasture) is worth it. It’s going to suck in clinics sure... but I can’t keep driving 30+ minutes back and forth to the barn he’s at now, and my apartment complex has some issues (neighbor is a smoker, so now all my things smell like smoke and the laundry situation is awful). But I’m really tired of making mistake after mistake with my living situation/decisions and wondering if I should just stick with the devil I know. Never thought the hardest and most stressful thing about vet school would be finding housing that isn’t terrible for some reason or another...
I would be mostly concerned with the spotty internet since classes/exams could very well be at least partially online next year.

I would be mostly concerned with the spotty internet since classes/exams could very well be at least partially online next year.
That’s my main concern. Our exams are in person this semester and most likely would be next. I have stopped attending zoom classes because it just doesn’t work for me... I learn better from reading the notes and slides. It would potentially be an issue if I wanted to watch the lectures later, but classes aren’t required and my brain can’t do the video lecture thing. But still... as much as my soul yearns to be an anti-technology hermit living in the woods vet school revolves around computers and internet 😭

Does your school allow you to be that far away during your clinical year? Mine had on call duties and you had to report within 20 minutes, so that distance would not have been feasible for me. I had a couple classmates that lived outside that time limit and they had to rent rooms/couches in classmates houses the nights they were on call, but that comes with extra expenses to consider too.

Edit: Also you say you can’t keep driving 30 minutes to and from your horse’s current home, but you’ll still be driving the same amount of time each day with this new plan it sounds like?

Does your school allow you to be that far away during your clinical year? Mine had on call duties and you had to report within 20 minutes, so that distance would not have been feasible for me. I had a couple classmates that lived outside that time limit and they had to rent rooms/couches in classmates houses the nights they were on call, but that comes with extra expenses to consider too.

Edit: Also you say you can’t keep driving 30 minutes to and from your horse’s current home, but you’ll still be driving the same amount of time each day with this new plan it sounds like?
I have poked around with the current clinical students and it sounds like a fair number live 30 min or so from school. I would probably have to find somewhere to stay closer for on-call shifts, but I haven’t been able to figure out how often that actually comes up. I’m currently driving 30 min to/from the barn on TOP of the 15-20 min from my apartment to/from school (they’re in opposite directions). I can live with an hour of lost time to get to/from school... but right now if I go to/from the barn AND school it creeps up to 2 hours. Plus it’s very inconvenient to have to drive 30 minutes both ways just for a 5 minute trip to the barn (like when I had to cut an abscess wrap off his foot this week). I just can’t move anywhere else because rent is so high if you’re living alone and don’t want bedbugs, so I unfortunately don’t have many options.

I don’t know, I think it was stupid of me to try to keep my horse in vet school at all, and now I’ve kind of screwed myself over. Hindsight is 20/20 🤷‍♀️

At my school, our on call averages out to about every 3 days (though it sounds like my school is one of the most heavy with on call duties). There are definitely people who live outside of the 20 minute range, but they couch surf on the days they need to be closer.

I lived in a place with spotty internet out in the country with a horse barn out back (though wasn't renting space for a horse). It would be impossible to live with spotty internet as a clinical year student at my school. All our records are electronic and you need internet access to get to the emr system. I have not great internet where I need to be down on my couch near my router to be able to effectively access our emr system. Had I still been living out at that farm, it would have been impossible

At my school, our on call averages out to about every 3 days (though it sounds like my school is one of the most heavy with on call duties). There are definitely people who live outside of the 20 minute range, but they couch surf on the days they need to be closer.

I lived in a place with spotty internet out in the country with a horse barn out back (though wasn't renting space for a horse). It would be impossible to live with spotty internet as a clinical year student at my school. All our records are electronic and you need internet access to get to the emr system. I have not great internet where I need to be down on my couch near my router to be able to effectively access our emr system. Had I still been living out at that farm, it would have been impossible
Ooh that’s a good point about the hospital records and everything during clinics. Definitely seems like it won’t work out then, darn. Thanks for the input! There’s just so much I don’t know about how clinicals work it’s hard to know what to expect/what it requires. I literally was paging through the student handbooks for the clinical services and STILL couldn’t get a straight answer on some of my questions.

Could it be possible to lease your horse for a short time while you get extra busy with school? Doesn't fix the problem of you going out to see him but you maybe wouldn't have to worry as much about things like getting him regular exercise or having to run over for things like removing bandages. I know some 3rd/4th years here lease horses to 1st/2nd years for that reason

Could it be possible to lease your horse for a short time while you get extra busy with school? Doesn't fix the problem of you going out to see him but you maybe wouldn't have to worry as much about things like getting him regular exercise or having to run over for things like removing bandages. I know some 3rd/4th years here lease horses to 1st/2nd years for that reason
That was my original plan but he has been non-stop lame since I brought him down with me last summer. Random, nonspecific lameness, the vet at my university can’t figure it out, we tried adequan, he got better briefly and then went horribly footsore and crippled by the farrier, got him sound and then he came in nearly 3 legged lame from a joint injury that was ultrasounded on Monday. I’m HOPING he comes sound after this latest course of NSAIDs, but I’ve literally ridden him maybe a dozen times in the almost-a-year he’s been here.

can’t lease out (or sell) a crippled horse 🙃

Oh- and he’s only 11 and has never had any lameness problems in 5 years of my owning him until I moved him with me to vet school of course. 😭

• Care
  • Sad
That was my original plan but he has been non-stop lame since I brought him down with me last summer. Random, nonspecific lameness, the vet at my university can’t figure it out, we tried adequan, he got better briefly and then went horribly footsore and crippled by the farrier, got him sound and then he came in nearly 3 legged lame from a joint injury that was ultrasounded on Monday. I’m HOPING he comes sound after this latest course of NSAIDs, but I’ve literally ridden him maybe a dozen times in the almost-a-year he’s been here.

can’t lease out (or sell) a crippled horse 🙃

Oh- and he’s only 11 and has never had any lameness problems in 5 years of my owning him until I moved him with me to vet school of course. 😭
If you're talking about Cornell, I know people that live about 25 mins away from the hospital and that's fine but the spotty internet is going to be really difficult especially if you and your bf/fiance/hubby (sorry, don't know specifics other than you both got accepted which CONGRATS!) are both going to be zooming at the same time (takes a lot of internet). Most people with bad internet study on campus which is tough to do late with animals at home so try to take that into consideration :) Also hope you liked the info sessions (you probably saw me haha)

If you're talking about Cornell, I know people that live about 25 mins away from the hospital and that's fine but the spotty internet is going to be really difficult especially if you and your bf/fiance/hubby (sorry, don't know specifics other than you both got accepted which CONGRATS!) are both going to be zooming at the same time (takes a lot of internet). Most people with bad internet study on campus which is tough to do late with animals at home so try to take that into consideration :) Also hope you liked the info sessions (you probably saw me haha)
Oh uh, I think you’re thinking of someone else 😅 My boyfriend is NOT a vet student and lives 10 hours away haha.

I literally was paging through the student handbooks for the clinical services and STILL couldn’t get a straight answer on some of my questions
If the student handbook is published by the school, I personally don't think it will convey an accurate depiction of clinical year life. If you're able to, get in contact with current clinical year students at your school. They'll be able to answer your questions in a more realistic fashion than any handbook.

Reactions: 6 users
If the student handbook is published by the school, I personally don't think it will convey an accurate depiction of clinical year life. If you're able to, get in contact with current clinical year students at your school. They'll be able to answer your questions in a more realistic fashion than any handbook.
I tried, and got everything from “yeah I know lots of people who live 35 minutes away” all the way to “oh no that’s totally impossible, that’s a horrible idea.”

So.... that didn’t help my decision any. It sounds like it’s not likely to work out though, so I guess I’m going to stick it out where I am now and hope something better comes along next year.

But anyways, for now I’m off to go cough up another $1.50 to wash my clothes for the second time because the washing machines in the laundry room at my apartment are terrible at their job. 😭

Last edited:
Not gonna lie... this week's been rough and I'm already overwhelmed by how the last 3 weeks of the semester look. How is everyone else holding up?

Not gonna lie... this week's been rough and I'm already overwhelmed by how the last 3 weeks of the semester look. How is everyone else holding up?
In the process of moving to a new house...and exams next week... and my dog was in the ER yesterday (she’s fine now, still have no idea what the problem was, but she didn’t want to eat or drink or move for like 2 days straight). Just started studying for said finals today. So uh. Not great.

• Care
I hope it gets better for you all! And I am glad your doggy is doing better!

Ive had the roughest last 3 weeks, had to reduce my hours/quit my part time job, even cried with my supervisor because of how overwhelmed I was :sorry:. We finally have a few days between tests, so I feel much better, but still some hard weeks ahead :nailbiting:

• Care
I feel like some classes have made exams harder because classes are open note, but to a ridiculous point. They’ve made it so that they’re essentially going outside the material taught in class to make us synthesize the material or whatever. But in reality the only way to make sure you have the correct answer is to have clinical judgment that we can’t possibly have as second years.

For example, anesthesia gave us one lecture on opioids in general, and then had one slide about the basic properties of each commonly used opioid. Then on the exam we had like 8 questions that were cases and we had to pick which of all of the opioids would be the best choice. The only way I knew some of the answers was because I have five years of experience prior to vet school and know that that’s just which drug you use for that type of case. But there was nothing in the lecture that taught us that.

I understand they feel like they need to stop everyone from getting an A because it’s gotten a little ridiculous, but they’re not testing comprehension of the lectures anymore. They’re going way beyond that and no amount of studying can make you do better.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I would really like my to-do list to stop growing exponentially at this point. I keep telling myself it's 6 more weeks, but they are some seriously busy 6 weeks.

I feel like some classes have made exams harder because classes are open note, but to a ridiculous point. They’ve made it so that they’re essentially going outside the material taught in class to make us synthesize the material or whatever. But in reality the only way to make sure you have the correct answer is to have clinical judgment that we can’t possibly have as second years.

For example, anesthesia gave us one lecture on opioids in general, and then had one slide about the basic properties of each commonly used opioid. Then on the exam we had like 8 questions that were cases and we had to pick which of all of the opioids would be the best choice. The only way I knew some of the answers was because I have five years of experience prior to vet school and know that that’s just which drug you use for that type of case. But there was nothing in the lecture that taught us that.

I understand they feel like they need to stop everyone from getting an A because it’s gotten a little ridiculous, but they’re not testing comprehension of the lectures anymore. They’re going way beyond that and no amount of studying can make you do better.
We had this happen on our anesthesiology class. I have extensive clinical experience and did significantly better than my classmates without. I don’t think it’s fair if I’m doing better because I “knew this from before vet school”.

We had this happen on our anesthesiology class. I have extensive clinical experience and did significantly better than my classmates without. I don’t think it’s fair if I’m doing better because I “knew this from before vet school”.
It’s one of those things that I understand, but it just REALLY sucks. If they’re going to test our clinical judgement, teach us clinical judgement and not just textbook. Say “Simbadol is just what you usually give a healthy cat for a moderate pain.” Or “ketamine dexdomitor and an opioid is super common to give to cats.”

They somehow managed to test us on all of that without actually telling us that. And yea, anyone who has worked in a clinical setting where you frequently use anesthetics and analgesics knows these things. But how hard would it be to just say that to us?

It’s one of those things that I understand, but it just REALLY sucks. If they’re going to test our clinical judgement, teach us clinical judgement and not just textbook. Say “Simbadol is just what you usually give a healthy cat for a moderate pain.” Or “ketamine dexdomitor and an opioid is super common to give to cats.”

They somehow managed to test us on all of that without actually telling us that. And yea, anyone who has worked in a clinical setting where you frequently use anesthetics and analgesics knows these things. But how hard would it be to just say that to us?
I see where you're coming from - and I also think it's a very rare skill on the educator side to be mindful of everything that people without a lot of clinical experience know, and it frequently hinders student learning. Unfortunately they frequently run these exam questions past other people who also have a large volume of experience either in vet med in general or in that specific field, which makes it even harder to catch those tidbits of information that are taken for granted because they seem like common knowledge.

I think it's also tricky because sometimes knowing those common uses hinders you too in other ways - for example the first time I heard you could give alfaxalone to dogs it blew my mind. Like, on the surface of course you can give it to dogs, it's just that I had literally only ever seen it get broken out for fractious or feral cats before so it just never occurred to me.

How do they normally teach this information to you? Our professor had us essentially memorize about a thousand things about different drugs (for example, buprenorphine is only for moderate pain at most, butorphanol is a good sedative but has an analgesic ceiling so not good for severe pain, fentanyl only lasts about 15 minutes) and would occasionally mention why some drugs were used more commonly in certain species or protocols. When we had exams it was largely predicated on the knowledge that we had from the material they asked us to know cold, with reasoning for the answers beyond "this is just done commonly" even if it was something that is done commonly. We also had a few species specific lectures - while these really helped knit things together but they also came later in the course.

This seems like it's common for anesthesiology in particular - my anesthesiology exams were very similar. It was extremely frustrating for much of my class.

We also had a large question worth quite a few points that was literally impossible to answer with the way they'd put it into Canvas, so that was fun.

I see where you're coming from - and I also think it's a very rare skill on the educator side to be mindful of everything that people without a lot of clinical experience know, and it frequently hinders student learning. Unfortunately they frequently run these exam questions past other people who also have a large volume of experience either in vet med in general or in that specific field, which makes it even harder to catch those tidbits of information that are taken for granted because they seem like common knowledge.

I think it's also tricky because sometimes knowing those common uses hinders you too in other ways - for example the first time I heard you could give alfaxalone to dogs it blew my mind. Like, on the surface of course you can give it to dogs, it's just that I had literally only ever seen it get broken out for fractious or feral cats before so it just never occurred to me.

How do they normally teach this information to you? Our professor had us essentially memorize about a thousand things about different drugs (for example, buprenorphine is only for moderate pain at most, butorphanol is a good sedative but has an analgesic ceiling so not good for severe pain, fentanyl only lasts about 15 minutes) and would occasionally mention why some drugs were used more commonly in certain species or protocols. When we had exams it was largely predicated on the knowledge that we had from the material they asked us to know cold, with reasoning for the answers beyond "this is just done commonly" even if it was something that is done commonly. We also had a few species specific lectures - while these really helped knit things together but they also came later in the course.
How it’s taught to us is pretty much the same. And when we were tested on it, there were a few questions that the answer was very obviously one. Like a dog getting a small mass removed, so give Torb. Then there were ones with like 10 options to give and we had to pick one. And there was no obvious good choice. Just very subjective reasons why a couple would be acceptable and others not so much. But you had to choose one, and there was only one right answer.

We had lectures and 40 pages of notes that basically detailed the pharmacology and risks of every possible sedative and analgesic, and then the exam was something like “you have a cat that’s angry, might have a heart murmur, might not, you don’t know because it’s trying to eat you, what drugs do you use?” (I’m being a bit sarcastic but you get what I’m saying)

“you have a cat that’s angry, might have a heart murmur, might not, you don’t know because it’s trying to eat you, what drugs do you use?” (I’m being a bit sarcastic but you get what I’m saying)
Lol this happened to me last night with the addition of "he also might be blocked and you couldn't get a heart rate because he is fat and also has a personal vendetta against stethoscopes in particular"

• Haha
Ugh I could do without this excessive string of bad luck lately. Dog ended up in ER 2 weeks ago (fine now), was supposed to move into my new house in 2 weeks but it turns out that the place is infested with roaches (after I already leased it and ended my current lease), I had to go to urgent care this week for a UTI (they think... culture was negative but symptoms match), I had a filling in one of my teeth break/fall out, AND I have finals that I haven’t even begun looking at material for in 2 weeks. I just want a break 😩

• Care
Reactions: 7 users