You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Columbia vs. Penn Dental -- Compare/Contrast
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Didn't apply to Columbia, but loved everything about Penn. Was very impressed during my interview day. I don't think either school will prepare you as well clinically as some other schools, but I think you'll be able to do omfs from either. Penn's cirroculum I believe will prepare you well for the cbse. Sorry to not be more informative, but I would hands down choose penn over Columbia just because I was super impressed during my interview day.
Hi all,
Wanted to get everyone's opinion on Penn Dental vs. Columbia Dental.
I am under the impression of, or have been told, the following features of the two programs:
1) Given Columbia's medical school curriculum, Columbia will better prepare you for the OMFS boards exam and is, therefore, a big leg up for getting OMFS residency.
2) Columbia is pass/fail, which is preferable over a letter grading system.
3) Penn will prepare students better clinically, given this is more of their emphasis, rather than Columbia that is more focused on academics and in-depth medical info.
4) Penn is will give you a more well-rounded dental education and will be better preparation for all other specialties besides OMFS.
5) Columbia students have less required class-time hours, and have more holistic and less frequent exam system.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this! This is just what I've heard and been told.
Thanks!
Interviewed at both. Was very impressed with BOTH schools. They both have great research opportunities, help you specialize, and have incredible faculty members. I personally would choose Columbia because NYC and they're renovating the clinics. I think neither of the schools prepare you "well" in clinic, but then again what DS really prepares you for private practice?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm biased but just wanted to point out that Penn JUST finished $40 million in renovations so the school is beautiful inside and out now and you will get to experience this from day one. I don't know much about Columbia's program though. 🙂 Also, Penn may not be pass/fail but everyone after #1-10 is ranked #11.
3) Penn will prepare students better clinically, given this is more of their emphasis, rather than Columbia that is more focused on academics and in-depth medical info.
Both schools are making increased efforts to improve their clinical. Penn probs has the edge but I don't think the difference is night and day by any means. Your traditional state school on the other hand is a different story.
4) Penn is will give you a more well-rounded dental education and will be better preparation for all other specialties besides OMFS.
I would not agree with this. Both schools prepare you well for all the specialties.
5) Columbia students have less required class-time hours, and have more holistic and less frequent exam system.
True a lot of our classes are recorded so you don't have to go to class. As for the exams i'll let a more senior CDM student touch on that.
In regards to the poster above, our renovations will be done by August this year so same difference for OP (Of course I am biased as well 😉)
Both schools will wreck your finances pretty good
Were you accepted to CDM?
Honors/pass/fail, which is honestly not that much better than a letter grading system.
Love how all the dental students in the actual h/p/f schools say h/p/f isnt as hyped up as it's supposed to be. Yet all the pre- dental students treat it like the holy grail.
I'd agree with OP for the most part, except for the idea that Penn gives better preparation for all specialties besides OMFS. Yes, they spend more time in the clinic than we do (although Columbia is now increasing 4th year clinic time by 20%), but your goal as a dental student hoping to specialize is not necessarily to learn how to do all of the procedures ahead of time. More generally, you are trying to become a good candidate for the residencies you want...and that means different things to different residency directors. Experience is almost always a good thing, but I wouldn't say, for example, that the student who did twice as many RCT in dental school than another student is necessarily considered the more competitive candidate for endo residencies. Getting comfortable doing specialized procedures in dental school is paradoxically more valuable for the student interested in general dentistry than the student going into a specialty.
But since you bring it up, Penn is significantly more expensive than Columbia (including cost of living).
What does "wreck your finances" even mean? It's not like anyone is getting a bargain by going to a state school. People need to get out of the mindset that any dental school in the US is affordable. I can't imagine a situation in which a dentist could easily manage $300k of debt but get ruined by $400k. The numbers are astronomical either way. You would either (1) strike it rich early in your career or (2) make loan payments for your entire life. And would there really be an effective difference your lifestyle if you end up with mediocre pay and have to stretch your loan repayments over decades? Whether you start with $300k or $400k of debt, I think you would be equally unhappy in such a situation. You might as well roll the dice and go to the expensive school that best prepares you for a lucrative specialty if you are genuinely interested in it. In other words, "go big or go home."Both schools will wreck your finances pretty good
But since you bring it up, Penn is significantly more expensive than Columbia (including cost of living).
Last edited:
He's superior than us plebs since he has HPSP bro. "Debt" isn't in his vocabularyWhat does "wreck your finances" even mean? It's not like anyone is getting a bargain by going to a state school. People need to get out of the mindset that any dental school in the US is affordable. I can't imagine a situation in which a dentist could easily manage $300k of debt but get ruined by $400k. The numbers are astronomical either way. You would either (1) strike it rich early in your career or (2) make loan payments for your entire life. And would there really an effective difference your lifestyle if you end up with mediocre pay and have to stretch your loan repayments over decades? Whether you start with $300k or $400k of debt, I think you would be equally unhappy in such a situation. You might as well roll the dice and go to the expensive school that best prepares you for a lucrative specialty if you are genuinely interested in it. In other words, "go big or go home."
But since you bring it up, Penn is significantly more expensive than Columbia (including cost of living).
You can rent an apartment in Philly for $600-650.But since you bring it up, Penn is significantly more expensive than Columbia (including cost of living).
If you get Dean's Scholarship from Penn, thats 30k a year, 120k total so Penn wins. This is why you need to mention that you have predecember interviews from Harvard, Columbia, and UCLA during your Penn interview. Lolol
If not, i would choose Columbia for OMFS. If your performance is comparable to Med kids, you will score 80-90 on CBSE and do your residency at fancy places. Less clinic time means more time for CBSE prep and therefore higher scores.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If not, i would choose Columbia for OMFS. If your performance is comparable to Med kids, you will score 80-90 on CBSE and do your residency at fancy places. Less clinic time means more time for CBSE prep and therefore higher scores.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Last edited:
Honors/pass/fail, which is honestly not that much better than a letter grading system.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't being ranked in thirds much more preferable than being ranked individually?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I think Penn's ranking is somewhat more beneficial. I think being ranked #11 out of 120 is better than middle third out of 80, but then again the programs get a transcript of your grades anyways, don't they?Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't being ranked in thirds much more preferable than being ranked individually?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends on the type of speciality you're going for. For ortho, I don't think thirds is better than individual because of what residency directors expect. I think Columbia sort of unofficially notes if you were in the top 10 when you apply to residencies but I'm honestly not too sure.
Another CDM guy here said a similar thing for Ortho (TyJacobs?). He also said they don't do the unofficial notes anymore.
I think Penn's ranking is somewhat more beneficial. I think being ranked #11 out of 120 is better than middle third out of 80, but then again the programs get a transcript of your grades anyways, don't they?
Penn's system is better being honest in terms of not using rank, Harvard's being the best since I believe they don't have a rank at all?
Penn's system is better being honest in terms of not using rank, Harvard's being the best since I believe they don't have a rank at all?
No ranking, Pass/Fail. Excellent CBSE Preparation. Chance to hit on harvard girls so your children would be beautiful, exceptionally smart, talented, and ambitious.
This is how you get your CBSE preparation at Harvard. I am sure it's same in Columbia.
Do you know what you want to specialize in yet? Don't have to answer for privacy reasonsDepends on the type of speciality you're going for. For ortho, I don't think thirds is better than individual because of what residency directors expect. I think Columbia sort of unofficially notes if you were in the top 10 when you apply to residencies but I'm honestly not too sure.
Congrats on your acceptances! Both are great schools. I'd give the edge to Columbia though.
LOL!
No ranking, Pass/Fail. Excellent CBSE Preparation. Chance to hit on harvard girls so your children would be beautiful, exceptionally smart, talented, and ambitious.
LOL!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 280
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 844