Cornell c/0 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also accepted my offer (IS) and will be attending the 2/12 info session. I'm surprised is thread hasn't been more active with acceptances

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Just submitted my RSVP for the February 19th session (best one for flights in/out for me). Is anyone else on here attending this session?

If there are any current Cornell students, what are some popular apartment buildings among grad students? I read about the different neighborhoods and want to visit some apartments while I'm up in February for the info sessions. I haven't been able to find too many. I'm mostly just looking for a one bedroom that is as inexpensive as possible and allows dogs....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If there are any current Cornell students, what are some popular apartment buildings among grad students? I read about the different neighborhoods and want to visit some apartments while I'm up in February for the info sessions. I haven't been able to find too many. I'm mostly just looking for a one bedroom that is as inexpensive as possible and allows dogs....
I've been looking for the exact same thing, lol. Craigslist has quite a few, have you tried that?

I graduated from Cornell in 2012, and I can say I think a majority of grad students live in houses. The vet school is on the Far East end of campus whereas the most popular student housing (on-campus, co-ops, frats, bigger-name apartments) are north and west. I was thinking of tracking down some former classmates and see what they suggest. The area around the vet school quickly gets very residential/townie as opposed to students.

Lots of vet students live in Varna, which is the little town (I think it's technically a hamlet? :) ) just past the vet school. Lots of houses there are rented out as student housing, Craigslist is a good place to check, and also, people will be sending out emails to your class listserv once it's created.

You can try touring Eastgate Apartments owned by Lifestyle Properties, which are probably the closest apartments to the vet school, they're nice if you don't encounter any issues, but if you do have problems with the apartment or landlord, it can get tricky; I lived there this year and maintenance takes FOREVER (months.) so I'm looking to move out. Observatory Circle is another place to look, I believe.

(I'm actually going to be looking for someone who wants to share a really nice 2BR at Pineridge Apartments with my two cats and upcoming beagle, hit me up!)

If anyone wants to meet up and ask questions to current vet students while you're visiting Ithaca, let me know! Happy to talk to anyone / drag some of my friends along :)

Lots of vet students live in Varna, which is the little town (I think it's technically a hamlet? :) ) just past the vet school. Lots of houses there are rented out as student housing, Craigslist is a good place to check, and also, people will be sending out emails to your class listserv once it's created.

You can try touring Eastgate Apartments owned by Lifestyle Properties, which are probably the closest apartments to the vet school, they're nice if you don't encounter any issues, but if you do have problems with the apartment or landlord, it can get tricky; I lived there this year and maintenance takes FOREVER (months.) so I'm looking to move out. Observatory Circle is another place to look, I believe.

(I'm actually going to be looking for someone who wants to share a really nice 2BR at Pineridge Apartments with my two cats and upcoming beagle, hit me up!)

If anyone wants to meet up and ask questions to current vet students while you're visiting Ithaca, let me know! Happy to talk to anyone / drag some of my friends along :)
Thank you for the information!

Yes, Varna is technically a hamlet. lol. :)

Thanks for the info. It seems like most of the apartments that are "close to cornell vet school" would still require a car (5 minutes drive but 30 minute walk). Is that accurate that the majority of students have cars and there aren't really apartments in walking distance of the vet school?

Thanks for the info. It seems like most of the apartments that are "close to cornell vet school" would still require a car (5 minutes drive but 30 minute walk). Is that accurate that the majority of students have cars and there aren't really apartments in walking distance of the vet school?

There are apartments which are walking distance (20 mins). But winter, which lasts 5 months at Cornell, can be pretty rough. There are excellent bus services though. So you can look at TCAT website and see if your apartment is close. But overall, you might need a car anyway, in later years of vet school for sure.

Okay thanks...Yes I figure if I go to Cornell, I'll be in the market for a sherpa-lined ski mask. The pain of the cold will overpower any cares of my appearance :)

Okay thanks...Yes I figure if I go to Cornell, I'll be in the market for a sherpa-lined ski mask. The pain of the cold will overpower any cares of my appearance :)

Yeah, bring ALL the winter clothes. This winter has been mild so far, which makes me wonder if it's going to snow into April again...

I think it's probably not practical to rely on walking, but the buses are really good. And you might be able to get rides with vet students who live near you. You'll need a car third year once you have clinics though as you'll need to be able to get to the vet school in 15 minutes when you're on call.

What should we wear this coming Friday for accepted students day?

Members don't see this ad :)
What should we wear this coming Friday for accepted students day?

Just dress warmly! If you want to wear business casual, you could, but plenty of people don't.

Either way, I would recommend against heels because you'll be walking around a fair amount on the tour and there is construction going on (you won't be walking through any construction areas, but you may walk past them, and just in case there is an emergency of any kind!) and you'll need to put on shoe covers and step on a squishy foam footpad with antiseptic before and after the large animal hospital part of the tour. (I did wear heels when I went and pulled a muscle trying to put on shoe covers, so that was embarrassing)

Just as a heads up, there are no animals allowed in the school on the tours, so please don't bring dogs, pocket pets, etc. And if you have a service animal, you can of course bring them into the building, but it is likely that you will not be able to bring them on the hospital part of the tour (they will let you know beforehand about the specifics of that).

Last edited:
Just dress warmly! If you want to wear business casual, you could, but plenty of people don't.

Either way, I would recommend against heels because you'll be walking around a fair amount on the tour and there is construction going on (you won't be walking through any construction areas, but you may walk past them, and just in case there is an emergency of any kind!) and you'll need to put on shoe covers and step on a squishy foam footpad with antiseptic before and after the large animal hospital part of the tour. (I did wear heels when I went and pulled a muscle trying to put on shoe covers, so that was embarrassing)

Just as a heads up, there are no animals allowed in the school on the tours, so please don't bring dogs, pocket pets, etc. And if you have a service animal, you can of course bring them into the building, but it is likely that you will not be able to bring them on the hospital part of the tour (they will let you know beforehand about the specifics of that).

So you can get away with wear a sweater and tall boots, something kind of casual?

Reactions: 1 users
So you can get away with wear a sweater and tall boots, something kind of casual?
You can literally wear whatever you want. As long as you're warm and comfortable then a sweater and boots is perfect :)

I went with a sweater, slacks, and boots last year, but there were plenty of people in jeans, and a few in more dressy attire.

I'm heading to Ithaca tomorrow evening for the information session Friday and then looking at some apartments on Saturday. For people that are familiar with the area, are there any surrounded towns or neighborhoods that should probably be avoided? I'm not sure what the crime or poverty is like in Ithaca but are there bad parts of town?

I'm heading to Ithaca tomorrow evening for the information session Friday and then looking at some apartments on Saturday. For people that are familiar with the area, are there any surrounded towns or neighborhoods that should probably be avoided? I'm not sure what the crime or poverty is like in Ithaca but are there bad parts of town?
I lived in Ithaca. I never really found a place to avoid around the school

Does anyone know how much the wait list usually moves?

Does anyone know how much the wait list usually moves?
Someone on here awhile back said that they've even unrejected ppl as in they went through the entire waitlist! I spoke to Jen Mailey at the info day (she's the sweetest) and she said that they will start calling off the waitlist in March through April and that she's already had some accepted people decline their spots. So I guess they are just waiting until March and after the info session days to give alternates a chance?

Someone on here awhile back said that they've even unrejected ppl as in they went through the entire waitlist! I spoke to Jen Mailey at the info day (she's the sweetest) and she said that they will start calling off the waitlist in March through April and that she's already had some accepted people decline their spots. So I guess they are just waiting until March and after the info session days to give alternates a chance?

Can you imagine? Being rejected and then getting a call later essentially saying 'whoops, our bad.' @_@

By the way, I'm attending the information session this Friday! Anyone else?

What should we wear to the information sessions if we were waitlisted? Does the information session have any influence on our spot on the waitlist?

What should we wear to the information sessions if we were waitlisted? Does the information session have any influence on our spot on the waitlist?

I doubt it would influence unless you behaved really badly, for whatever reason. As for attire, I'm going business casual.

I'm going Friday! I'm wearing business casual as well.

I went this past friday, and some people were super dressed up while others were in sweatpants. I don't know if I'd recommend sweatpants, but wear something you will be comfortable in. It's a long daywith lots of walking! Most people wore jeans and nice a shirt from what I could see.

What you wear probably has zero impact on being called off the waitlist since you'll have really limited interactions with those making the decisions during the info sessions. I would definitely recommend attending a session and keeping in touch with Jen Mailey (seriously nicest woman ever) while you wait though.

Anecdotally, I was on the OOS waitlist last year, attended the first info session, made it clear that Cornell was my first choice when I spoke to Jen, and I was called off the list pretty early on.

Good luck!

And congrats to all you that have accepted! You'll love it here :)

Hi, I have a question for anyone that knows the Ithaca area. So, I'll be visiting this weekend for the info session and I want to drive to each different neighborhood to get an idea of it. It's too early to visit specific apartment buildings for the most part. Can you recommend like one specific street/store to represent the street for each area below? I live four hours away from Ithaca, so if I decide to go to Cornell, I would like to already have an idea of the neighborhoods so when the time comes that I am actually looking for an apartment, I can think...ok this apartment is within walking distance from this main area that I really liked and decide that way.

If I pick based off of trip advisor, I'm worried I may just pick a random shopping complex and not what is considered the cute area of town to walk around to different shops and get breakfast, etc. I only have a day in Ithaca to get an idea of this stuff so I don't want to spend my time driving around looking for the good streets. I know, for the area I live in/grew up in, I could make these sort of recommendations in one minute for the six towns surrounding me. So if someone could offer their help or some resource for me....Thanks!!!!

I read about about a bunch of different areas...

Dryden
Varnas
East Hill
South Hill
Downtown Commons- farmers market (already done)
Cayuga Heights- cass park (already done?)
North Campus

How realistic is it to be called off the waitlist for IS students? I have to imagine that hardly moves.

Hi, I have a question for anyone that knows the Ithaca area. So, I'll be visiting this weekend for the info session and I want to drive to each different neighborhood to get an idea of it. It's too early to visit specific apartment buildings for the most part. Can you recommend like one specific street/store to represent the street for each area below? I live four hours away from Ithaca, so if I decide to go to Cornell, I would like to already have an idea of the neighborhoods so when the time comes that I am actually looking for an apartment, I can think...ok this apartment is within walking distance from this main area that I really liked and decide that way.

If I pick based off of trip advisor, I'm worried I may just pick a random shopping complex and not what is considered the cute area of town to walk around to different shops and get breakfast, etc. I only have a day in Ithaca to get an idea of this stuff so I don't want to spend my time driving around looking for the good streets. I know, for the area I live in/grew up in, I could make these sort of recommendations in one minute for the six towns surrounding me. So if someone could offer their help or some resource for me....Thanks!!!!

I read about about a bunch of different areas...

Dryden
Varnas
East Hill
South Hill
Downtown Commons- farmers market (already done)
Cayuga Heights- cass park (already done?)
North Campus

Most vet students live within a 15 minute drive of school. Varna, Dryden, and Freeville are pretty popular though there is some reasonably priced real estate in Ithaca proper if you take the time to look. I live right by the Lab of Ornithology and it is a 5-6 minute drive to school in the morning. My first two years I rented an apartment in a complex near the vet school but I actually pay less now to rent a room from a private landlord. I would avoid looking for an apartment near the Commons (i.e. Collegetown) as it is marketed for undergrads unless you specifically want to be closer to amenities (and pay for it).

Hello, I was just curious about current students at Cornell who have partners who followed them to Ithaca for veterinary school. Have your partners struggled with the job opportunity up in Ithaca? I know it varies by the field...my boyfriend is specifically in data and analytics. But regardless of the field, when looking at indeed.com, there are very few jobs and this is a really big concern of mine. It seems like most people up there are associated with Cornell or Ithaca College. Syracuse is an hour away but because vet students eventually need to be close to the school (15 minutes or less), we would have to live closer to campus rather than Syracuse. There may not really be advice on this but even just your experiences with this..

Also, I'm going to try to reach out to Cornell Veterinary students...but I thought I'd ask here...For current students, what don't you like about PBL and small group learning? If I don't like PBL or do like it, how frequently does it really occur within the curriculum? I know every block is different and some blocks don't even have it, so how much of a factor should it play in my decision?

To add another minor question, are any of the lectures in the lecture-heavy blocks recorded? I know that they weren't a few years ago but am wondering if that's changed at all.

Also, I think we were told that, at Cornell Vet School, students often have afternoons free of class/lab in order to have independent time to study learning. So, learning seems more independent at Cornell than at other vet schools. Do Cornell Veterinary students find this is actually the case throughout vet school or is really only once in a while?

When you are in PBL, do you actually feel like you are learning or do you feel like it is a waste of time (going in circles) and want to be in lecture and just quickly told the information? Does it feel inefficient or worth it? How can you learn as much as someone who goes to lectures? I feel like someone who goes to lectures for 6 hours a day will cover more information than someone in 3 hours of lecture then 3 hours of PBL? It's a trade off for information for long-term memory.

Also, I think we were told that, at Cornell Vet School, students often have afternoons free of class/lab in order to have independent time to study learning. So, learning seems more independent at Cornell than at other vet schools. Do Cornell Veterinary students find this is actually the case throughout vet school or is really only once in a while?

When you are in PBL, do you actually feel like you are learning or do you feel like it is a waste of time (going in circles) and want to be in lecture and just quickly told the information? Does it feel inefficient or worth it? How can you learn as much as someone who goes to lectures? I feel like someone who goes to lectures for 6 hours a day will cover more information than someone in 3 hours of lecture then 3 hours of PBL? It's a trade off for information for long-term memory.
I'm pretty sure Cornell has a 100% pass rate on the NAVLE every year so clearly their process works.

OK thanks! I personally think I would like PBL but am just trying to play Devils advocate to get as much information as possible. Because their learning style is somewhat different than other schools, I've been trying to understand it... so if you have any more information or perspectives besides stating statistics, I'd be happy to hear!

I asked a PBL leader this same exact question at their information session and I think it caught them a bit off guard. That said, I was quite satisfied with the answer. They said once you and your group get in a groove and are comfortable with the format, you do start to move more quickly and cover good ground. Also, as alluded to earlier in the thread, a lot of the material you're "missing" from a traditional lecture is either covered in your studying for that topic/case, or later for a similar case. The leaders make sure you're staying on track and covering what you need to. It was tough to wrap my mind around, and it still is a bit, but we did a mock session and it was actually genuinely fun. The group opened up quickly, people showed pretty quickly what they already knew, and you discover really quickly what you still need to know. As someone who has always liked big traditional lectures, this was a cool change of pace, and as weird as it seems, the students vouch for it. Gotta have faith in the system.

I'll add that once you learn how to apply the PBL system, you will be better prepared to tackle clinics where you will have to research/present your case (albeit at a much brisker pace!)

Lol so weird question....

I'm still on the Cornell waitlist--very anxious to see if I get off. I was at the 2/19/16 info sesh and when I was there I found out I got into Tufts...like in the middle of the info session, haha, so during the student Q&A session I was texting and letting people know I got in (was so excited because it was one of my top choices). Looking back it was definitely rude but in the moment I was just freaking out from excitement. Would this affect my chances of being called off the waitlist? Or do people who have a say in the waitlist rankings not really participate in the info session. Not that I thought that I was guaranteed a call off the waitlist to begin with, but I've just been thinking about this.

This was something that I was wondering about too, so I asked a few current students if waitlisted applicants were evaluated at the information session. While they all said that we wouldn't be, they did say that it would help your case if you showed up if you were waitlisted.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/692192677550940/

Hey guys!

Member of 2017 class here, just was curious if there yet was a Facebook group for you guys and I found this, but has just a handful of members and some are other upperclassman, so get yourselves in it if you're going and connect with each other! =)

I put down my deposit!! Can't wait to meet my c/o 2020 classmates! :clap:

Are there any current students here that can recommend some good town homes around the vet school? My boyfriend and I are moving up together and we're looking for a 2 bedroom town home. Any help is appreciated! Thanks:)

Is anyone coming to Cornell this Fall looking for housing? I'm looking to share a really nice 2-bedroom apartment with someone - it's less than 3 miles from the vet school, very accessible either by bus or car. Please message me for details if you or someone you know might be interested!

Are there any current students here that can recommend some good town homes around the vet school? My boyfriend and I are moving up together and we're looking for a 2 bedroom town home. Any help is appreciated! Thanks:)

I know of one - http://www.pineridge-residences.com/ - these aren't the only ones available, the owner has properties throughout the Ithaca area (use the contact info on the website to find out what he has!). He is my current landlord. A bit pricey, but he's a fair guy and will try to work with you.

Hey everyone, does anyone know if Cornell tells waitlisters when the class is full? Is that something they've done in previous years?
I'm not sure if Cornell e-mails when the class is full but I would e-mail Jennifer Mailey. She could definitely tell you and she's wicked nice!

I know this is a little late, but does anyone know if the personal statement of interest for Cornell's scholarships is more factual and concise, or if it should be told more like a story, like the VMCAS personal statement?

I know this is a little late, but does anyone know if the personal statement of interest for Cornell's scholarships is more factual and concise, or if it should be told more like a story, like the VMCAS personal statement?

I get the feeling it's supposed to be personal but more factual,since they're using it to determine what scholarships you're eligible for.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile