This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckeyegal1129

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I've heard at a few of my interviews students have been accepted after sending creative update letters and LOIs (e.g. one kid sent in a scrapbook with letters from his friends and family on why he should be accepted). What is your guys' opinion on this? I have heard both positive and negative things about doing this. I am currently deferred from one of my top choices and have already sent in an update a couple months ago and said how interested in the school with no results and have been looking for any way for adcom to look at me again. I have a couple of ideas in mind but would like to hear if anyone thinks this is a good/bad idea

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Um, no. Do a standard LOI and only if you have a good reason to, like you're on the WL at a school you'd rather go to over one where you've been accepted. If you have already sent a letter of intent, I think you just have to wait it out.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I swear, pretty soon it is going to be like corrupt division 1 athletics. Some adcom is going to wake up with a shiny new car in the driveway, backseat lined with cupcakes and airline tickets in the glovebox. Meanwhile, a neurotic premed is across the street hiding behind a tree gauging the adcom's response.

I swear, pretty soon it is going to be like corrupt division 1 athletics. Some adcom is going to wake up with a shiny new car in the driveway, backseat lined with cupcakes and airline tickets in the glovebox. Meanwhile, a neurotic premed is across the street hiding behind a tree gauging the adcom's response.
It was literally just a question don't need to be so triggered

It was literally just a question don't need to be so triggered
Relax, I'm just joking around.

In all seriousness: act professional. And life tip: never lower yourself to gain position in life. Dignity is important. Good luck!

Relax, I'm just joking around.

In all seriousness: act professional. And life tip: never lower yourself to gain position in life. Dignity is important. Good luck!
Sorry I understand this site can do things to people I've just been deferred since October so I'm getting desperate because it's my top school

Sorry I understand this site can do things to people I've just been deferred since October so I'm getting desperate because it's my top school
I understand. You have gained another acceptance though, right? I'm sure your top choice will fall in line and see what the other school saw in you. Patience and confidence is key.

Sincerely, best of luck.

Hi guys, so I've heard at a few of my interviews students have been accepted after sending creative update letters and LOIs (e.g. one kid sent in a scrapbook with letters from his friends and family on why he should be accepted). What is your guys' opinion on this? I have heard both positive and negative things about doing this. I am currently deferred from one of my top choices and have already sent in an update a couple months ago and said how interested in the school with no results and have been looking for any way for adcom to look at me again. I have a couple of ideas in mind but would like to hear if anyone thinks this is a good/bad idea

At my institution this would mark your application for death. The fact that some people have done cutesy LOI's and gotten in does not indicate that this approach works. It suggests that the LOI's were never read by anyone involved in decision making. Correlation does not equal causation, and desperation makes an awful perfume.

I'd auto-reject someone who did this.

No. You are applying to a professional school and should act professionally in all your interactions with the program.
There is NOTHING more frustrating than when applicants act unprofessional. The only things I've heard of for students to get flat-out rejected from my school are those who act or say unprofessional things. This doesn't mean don't let your personality shine through, but it needs to be in good taste. You are telling a school why they should let you become a doctor to treat/operate on future patients (even potentially ADCOM's children or parents)-do you really think sending a scrapbook says "I'll be a competent surgeon?"

Also, make sure the LOI is truthful (if you say I'll come if you let me in, you better go) and actually updates them on something (don't waste their time by making them read nothing new)