CSU c/o 2015 wannabes!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G2D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! Congrats! This IS your year!:highfive::clap::bow:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Just got back to my hotel room. Still in Ohio. Had my interview here today, which was kind of amusing. I'll be posting in the Ohio thread about that. Just checked the CSU portal. I'm in. Eventually I'll post stats in the "successful..." thread, but they may not be so helpful to traditional applicants because I am so much older than y'all.

Big congrats to those who've heard good news today from CSU. And big hugs to those who didn't make it.

I see Gone 2 Dogs is off on another interview. So many choices, whatever will she do? She is my hero this year! Amazing.

OK, this is for both you and G2D:

YIPPEE!!!!

:soexcited::clap::clap::highfive::clap::clap::soexcited:

From one 'old fart' to another: Well freakin' done!!!

Thank you to everyone for the congrats! There are a lot of awesome people on this forum, I'm sad that so many wonderful people were passed over. The admissions committee really lost out. As far as email reviews, I know that Dr. Sherri Stewart will review your application and email back comments that the evaluators made, as well as point out any weaknesses that she sees. I am not sure the format (ie, if it's a bulleted list, or a paragraph, or a copy of your file with comments typed in). Dr. Stewart is very good though. And very honest, if you take her comments to heart you should have no problem the next go around. Trust me, I'm living proof :D

Too all who were waitlisted- hang in there. Keep April 15th in mind because usually they won't make any alternate offers until after then. You have everything going for you, they obviously saw something they like :) Try again next year if you don't get a call. You will make it.:)

To the folks who were accepted- Congrats to all of you! I am so excited to get to meet you in person. August seems like a lifetime away!:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
:highfive::clap::claps::clap::claps:

So glad to see people whose determination paid off!! And so many awesome SDNers got in! Yay for CSU 2015!

And to those of you on the OOS waitlist :bow: that is seriously impressive, even though I'm sure its disappointing right now.

And, as a side note, did anyone have boxes and not get in? We may have actually cracked the code ;).

Last edited:
As far as email reviews, I know that Dr. Sherri Stewart will review your application and email back comments that the evaluators made, as well as point out any weaknesses that she sees. I am not sure the format (ie, if it's a bulleted list, or a paragraph, or a copy of your file with comments typed in). Dr. Stewart is very good though. And very honest, if you take her comments to heart you should have no problem the next go around. Trust me, I'm living proof :D

YES, my file review from her was really good last year.

Actually, I'll just post it. You guys all know my stats/strengths/weaknesses anyhow, I'm not shy. But this is what the format looks like:

Thank you for your positive comments, even in the face of receiving a deny notification. I would be happy to provide you with an overview of your file. The most significant reason you did not receive an offer for a position at CSU is that we had almost 1300 Nonsponsored applicants. The comments I make below reflect the very high average credentials this pool presents. You can check out previous-year average admitted statistics at http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/cvmbs/profile.htm (2010 statistics not yet posted) I think you will be a good, competitive applicant at another veterinary program this year -- it's all relative.

1. Quality of Academic Program
- GRE scores: excellent; well above average (except analytical score was slightly below average admit -- not a factor)
- Academic History: Special Circumstances taken into consideration; GPA per semester was inconsistent early in academic history, but it has been more consistently high recently while working 40+ hours a week -- quite a feat! It just may take a longer "new academic history" to convince the committee this is a permanent trend.

2. Veterinary, Animal, and Work Experience -
- Veterinary experience excellent
- Animal experience very good with good variety and exposure to research
- Other Employment - clear evidence of well-developed people skills via customer service jobs and evidence of leadership

3. Honors and Awards and Extracurricular Activities, Achievements, Community Service -
- limited, but adequate relative to work and school schedule.

4. Personal Statement: "Well written"

5. Letters of Recommendation - no comment, as you waived your right of access

My opinion/closing remarks: You were a very good/solid applicant in a group of phenomenal applicants. Your old grades may still be an issue, but you're doing all you can do to correct that -- it may just take more time, but I'm sure you will ultimately be successful. If you do not receive an offer at another veterinary school this year and decide to reapply, I would suggest you finish out your fall and spring semesters as strong as possible - try hard for the A grades. It's just a matter of time.

I hope this helps -- and I DO hope you receive an offer from another veterinary school. Please let me know if you have any questions.

So it was very encouraging and also very helpful in being able to kind of pick out what was wrong...

Got denied OOS, but figured that this would be a practice cycle for apps - looking to be so far... :( Congratulations to all those 2nd/3rd timers who persevered! I hope it'll be my turn soon enough. :)

In 2007 (IS) - Denied
In 2008 (IS) - Denied
In 2009 (IS) - Denied
....DRUM ROLL...
IN 2010 (IS).......
Denied :(

WOOOHOOOO! I got accepted. I am in IS so that sure helps!:D

YES, my file review from her was really good last year.

Actually, I'll just post it. You guys all know my stats/strengths/weaknesses anyhow, I'm not shy. But this is what the format looks like:

So it was very encouraging and also very helpful in being able to kind of pick out what was wrong...

Thank you nyanko that was helpful. So it is okay to ask specific questions about your application?

Thank you nyanko that was helpful. So it is okay to ask specific questions about your application?

I would assume so, since she said if I had any other questions to ask - I just didn't. I might have asked further questions later if I hadn't gotten into UCDavis and had needed to reapply, but I didn't have anything specific so I just asked for a general review of my application file..

took a not so good night's sleep for me to muster up the strength to post here. after driving a crazy 5 1/2 hours to get to CT from PA, thank you traffic, boyfriend and i both grabbed our phones and read the emails together. talk about will power, i didn't look at it the whole drive up on my crackberry. unfortunately, its a no go though...
congrats to everyone who has got in, it sounds like you all deserve it. third time really is a charm. csu was my dream school but i am also impatient, and have an interview at rvc in london so far... so here's to the good stuff :)
as i said in the rejection thread... i will just practice there someday...

took a not so good night's sleep for me to muster up the strength to post here. after driving a crazy 5 1/2 hours to get to CT from PA, thank you traffic, boyfriend and i both grabbed our phones and read the emails together. talk about will power, i didn't look at it the whole drive up on my crackberry. unfortunately, its a no go though...
congrats to everyone who has got in, it sounds like you all deserve it. third time really is a charm. csu was my dream school but i am also impatient, and have an interview at rvc in london so far... so here's to the good stuff :)
as i said in the rejection thread... i will just practice there someday...

*throws moral support at you* The fight's not over yet. There are still endless possibilities for your future and hey, you never know, it might even turn out even better going somewhere else. :luck:

Sincerely,

A fellow trying-to-stay-optimistic CSU reject :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm OOS and was also made an alternate. I'm pretty excited as I was sure I would get rejected based on their average stats of previous classes! So hopefully that means someone will accept me.
Now to try and figure out how many alternates there are, and what our odds of getting in are...

Eventually I'll post stats in the "successful..." thread, but they may not be so helpful to traditional applicants because I am so much older than y'all.

Not all of us! Special congratulations to you LSD from the >40 set. :p

I'll look forward to reading how you're getting on next year, wherever you wind up.

I'm OOS, and was also made an alternate. I was really hoping for an acceptance or denial actually, because to me the slight possibility of being called off the waiting list is where the real torture is!

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! I agree that you should all buy lottery tickets :laugh:

And the waiting continues...

To all you OOSers, don't take a CSU rejection personally. They get such a huge amount of OOS applications, it's completely disgusting. Of the 7 schools I applied to last year CSU was the only one to reject me, so a rejection from CSU definitely doesn't mean that you're not a worthy applicant as nyanko and others have already said - it's just a numbers game. CSU was also my (irrational) "dream" school, but I'm still super happy even though I'm not there. Keep those chins up, there are other fish (schools) in the sea. :)

Also an OOS reject here, but now that I know that, seriously, did we figure out the boxes? That's had me curious for days now

Also an OOS reject here, but now that I know that, seriously, did we figure out the boxes? That's had me curious for days now

I've been curious too, especially since its notoriously hard to 'crack' these things ;).

I believe everyone who had boxes wound up getting in, and everyone who didn't have boxes did not get in. However, acceptance rates being what they are, everyone on SDN who got in was IS. So, it could've been IS/OOS, or it could've been the boxes indicated IS acceptance/denial but OOSers weren't decided then. Or we could've just been crazy. :p

To all you OOSers, don't take a CSU rejection personally. They get such a huge amount of OOS applications, it's completely disgusting. Of the 7 schools I applied to last year CSU was the only one to reject me, so a rejection from CSU definitely doesn't mean that you're not a worthy applicant as nyanko and others have already said - it's just a numbers game. CSU was also my (irrational) "dream" school, but I'm still super happy even though I'm not there. Keep those chins up, there are other fish (schools) in the sea. :)

Are you at Cornell? And CSU rejected you?

I am OOS and never saw boxes but was made an alternate. After that was announced I now see the boxes... so I am also curious what it all meant. Possibly as others have said they had only updated ISers at that point?

Last edited:
I'm OOS, and was also made an alternate. I was really hoping for an acceptance or denial actually, because to me the slight possibility of being called off the waiting list is where the real torture is!

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! I agree that you should all buy lottery tickets :laugh:

And the waiting continues...

In the same boat as you! Alternate status in a combined program but denied from the regular DVM pool.. the waiting continues!

*Aherm*. I noticed that a couple of you lucky folks got on the alternate list. Maybe one of you could officially start the "Official Waitlisters for the c/o 2015" thread. Just a suggestion :D.

Ok, I may be doing this COMPLETELY wrong, but I just signed up for SDN so please forgive me!
I am a post-bac student working REALLY hard to recover from a "not so great" GPA at Texas A&M, which was a LONG time ago! I'm currently an IS Colorado resident and have been denied twice. Got an interview invite from Mississippi State though, but CSU is my #1 choice. What are these "boxes" everyone keeps talking about? I'm confused!

Could you please tell me what "boxes" are? I'm so lost! Thanks!

Could you please tell me what "boxes" are? I'm so lost! Thanks!

CSU doesn't require transcripts unless you are admitted or designated an alternate. Under "Check receipt of my materials" there are boxes next to GRE score, letters of rec, etc. that are checked off as they are received.

Apparently, some ISers (who ended up being admitted) had a new box appear in the same section for receipt of transcripts. This occurred just a few days before admission decisions were posted.

CSU doesn't require transcripts unless you are admitted or designated an alternate. Under "Check receipt of my materials" there are boxes next to GRE score, letters of rec, etc. that are checked off as they are received.

Apparently, some ISers (who ended up being admitted) had a new box appear in the same section for receipt of transcripts. This occurred just a few days before admission decisions were posted.

Oh!!! Now I get it! Thanks for the info. Did you get into CSU, Bonaparte?

Does anyone know if CSU has any sort of accepted students day? The paper literature we got from them didn't mention anything. If I wanted to go tour and meet some faculty, what would be the best way to arrange that? (I live ~1hr away so easy to visit). Also, if I'm interested in research on the side (I'm finishing a grad program at the moment), do you think its fine to contact faculty through email?

I have a friend in school there I can/will hit up for information, but he's in clinicals now and super busy. Just curious if they have any sort of formal presentation/tour/meet faculty and students type of event.

Thanks everyone!

Oh!!! Now I get it! Thanks for the info. Did you get into CSU, Bonaparte?

Nope. ): A bit disappointed... my stats (GPA/GRE) were significantly above average, but I guess being OOS was what did me in! That and perhaps I didn't have as much veterinary experience as other people? I don't know! Waiting on that file review... heheh.

Does anyone know if CSU has any sort of accepted students day? The paper literature we got from them didn't mention anything.

Last year they did. It was for both accepted students and future applicants and was sort of in conjunction with the yearly open house. There was a program especially for vet students (and future students) at the academic buildings with different speakers and a student panel, and tours of the classrooms/labs/cubes. Then you could go for a tour at the equine center and the teaching hospital (where clubs had tables set up). They announced it on the portal at some point last year. Based on the dates of the open house this year, if I had to guess I would guess that the vet student day will be April 1st, but that is purely speculation! Don't quote me on that!

Thanks, G2D, exactly what I was hoping to find out! :thumbup:

has anyone else gotten file reviews back? I'm wondering what the scale of review words is. I got all average/above average/good and strong 'ranking's, but I don't know where that rates with what they tell everyone else, it could be average, above avg, good, strong, great, awesome, phenomenal for all I know ;)

Declining my non-sponsored offer for this absolutely fantastic vet school. Wish I could go, but I just can't afford it. I hope this gives someone else a spot! You deserve it!

Declining my non-sponsored offer for this absolutely fantastic vet school. Wish I could go, but I just can't afford it. I hope this gives someone else a spot! You deserve it!

Well I'll be the first to thank you, because I just got a call this morning and I'm IN!

I'll be declining my spot at WesternU, so hopefully someone can take advantage of that!

Well I'll be the first to thank you, because I just got a call this morning and I'm IN!

I'll be declining my spot at WesternU, so hopefully someone can take advantage of that!

Yay!!! More classmates! Congratulations!

Cheers! We'll defnitely have to chat soon. Is there an FB group for csu 2015?

btw, cats are evil. http://www.catswhothrowupgrass.com/kill.php
:laugh::p

That's so funny, my best friend just posted that on my FB last week! haha, but yeah I know cats are evil, there's just something about them...

We will have to chat soon, all the CSU wannabes have been so quiet! I'm not sure if there is a FB group, I haven't come across one... (but I also haven't really looked either)

Decline my spot at CSU. Hope one of you benefit from it. Love the school but it's a bit expensive for OOS. Wish you the best!

We will have to chat soon, all the CSU wannabes have been so quiet! I'm not sure if there is a FB group, I haven't come across one... (but I also haven't really looked either)

We are a pretty quiet bunch I guess! Although from the final decisions list, MLC and I are the only ones on here going so far! I think there have to be a few more out there though...

I'm getting excited for my move to Fort Collins! I expect (hope... if all goes well with this selling/buying mess I'm in right now) to be up there weekends starting in May and then full time in June. If others are around we should definitely have a little get together of some sort! My dogs and I are always up for a hike!

I have looked for a FB page, but didn't find one and am not brave enough to start one myself! If someone wants to make one/finds one, I'll join though!

If anybody is interested in joining a CSA, I was just looking at the different options and discovered that CSU has its own! http://www.specialtycrops.colostate.edu/CSU_CSA/SCP_csu_csa_members.htm if anyone is interested. I am planning on buying a half-share, but would probably do well to split one if anyone wants to PM me to discuss that! There are also other CSAs in the area, but the location of the pick up is not far from our classroom building so it would be hard to find something more convenient, plus it supports the Ag students!

And my final random, disjointed thought: Does everyone's financial info in RamWeb say they will post awards mid April? I don't know why I am anxious for that as I believe we will all be offered the max, but I still want to see it! I never did see any info posted about a visit day this year... hopefully I didn't miss it of there was one!

Take care everyone, and I look forward to meeting!

I was looking into joining a CSA! I won't be in Ft. Collins until August though, leaving only 3 out of the 4 months to enjoy it, so I was doing my research to try to join one for summer 2012, so if you still need someone to go halfsies next year, I'd be totally up for it!

I haven't received my financial aid stuff either, and it also says in my Ramweb that it will be open mid-April (isn't it mid-april, now?!) :laugh:

I tried to be brave and start a FB group, but for some reason I couldn't get it to go through. I think I need to invite a few members/friends to join before I can start it, but alas, none of my FB friends are joining me at CSU! :thumbdown:

When I move up to Ft. Collins in August I'd definitely be up for a hike/meetup with some SDNers!!! The SO and I already have our duplex leased and we're looking to adopt a dog once we move in! So excited!

Where have we all disappeared too, lol
Well, i pretty much knew all along that CSU was going to be my choice but just by having that April 15th deadline kept making me ponder my decision needlessly over and over and over. But now its official, CSU it is!

I am definately going to be looking into the CSA. All depends on when I will get moved up there though. I'm thinking I should be there by the end of July if not earlier. Am I reading it right, if two people split a full share it would be $250 each vs. the "half-share" at $350???????

And yep, if someone starts a FB group and needs members to join, I'm in...just PM me!

Also, I didn't make it to the pre-vet open house at the beginning of this month but I was reading on the website and I think it says 3 days a week they run tours of the vet hospital. Has anyone done this before?????

Where have we all disappeared too, lol
Well, i pretty much knew all along that CSU was going to be my choice but just by having that April 15th deadline kept making me ponder my decision needlessly over and over and over. But now its official, CSU it is!

I am definitely going to be looking into the CSA. All depends on when I will get moved up there though. I'm thinking I should be there by the end of July if not earlier. Am I reading it right, if two people split a full share it would be $250 each vs. the "half-share" at $350???????

And yep, if someone starts a FB group and needs members to join, I'm in...just PM me!

Also, I didn't make it to the pre-vet open house at the beginning of this month but I was reading on the website and I think it says 3 days a week they run tours of the vet hospital. Has anyone done this before?????

Hooray! I was thinking you were likely going to be a classmate! And agreed, if anyone wants to try the FB page again, send me a PM so you can add me in order to help get it started.

I was thinking the same thing about the "half-share" and decided to hope that it really was more than half! I just sent in a deposit check for a half share (wasn't sure if it would sell out... the CSAs around my current area always do!), but could probably change it if anyone wanted. But indeed, if you aren't getting up there until later if probably doesn't make sense this year. Next year we should definitely talk about splitting a full share though!

As for the tours, I have taken one before and was honestly a little disappointed... it was basically a tour of the hallways of the hospital. I got to see essentially nothing other then the halls and some posters in the hall. You can see the MRI through the windows at least. Maybe it is different now... but at the very least the tour was given by a vet student who I got to pick for information! Maybe if you call and say you are in the class of 2015 you could get more of a VIP tour?

Hopefully we'll figure out a way to meet up at some point later in the summer once people are starting to trickle in!

Hooray! I was thinking you were likely going to be a classmate! And agreed, if anyone wants to try the FB page again, send me a PM so you can add me in order to help get it started.

Hopefully we'll figure out a way to meet up at some point later in the summer once people are starting to trickle in!

I would love to get in on the FB page thing! Maybe we should start a new thread about it? I have a feeling there are some people like me who are "lurkers" who don't comment that often. :) I would love to get to know some of my classmates before orientation, seeing as we are going to be spending the next 4 years going through the ringer together. :p

Well I think I was able to get the FB group started! If anyone has a picture they want to use, or has an idea for a group description, or wants to be an admin let me know!!! I just titled in CSU PVM Class of 2015 :)

Well I think I was able to get the FB group started! If anyone has a picture they want to use, or has an idea for a group description, or wants to be an admin let me know!!! I just titled in CSU PVM Class of 2015 :)

Nice work! Thanks for setting that up!

If any of you are needing some furniture (and are here/going to be here by May 15th or so), I am getting ready to move back to North Carolina and am trying to lighten my load as much as possible. Shoot me a PM.

And congrats to everyone in the class of 2015! :thumbup:

Anybody looking for a roommate for this upcoming school year? Or have any tips on finding housing?

I'm OOS and was just accepted into the 1-year MS-B program at CSU (woo!); planning on applying to the vet school in this next cycle). I'd love to find a grad or vet student roomie :)

I got an e-mail from CSU this morning saying that their nonsponsored alternate list was too short - along with an offer of admission! I'm going to still go to my IS school, but that means there is a spot (or spots) open! Fingers crossed for SDNers!