CSU Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Starlene45 - I see it says you're from CA? I was looking through the Successful Applicant thread from last year specifically to see if CA residents got into CSU and I didn't see any!! That's not to say that's the case 100% of the time, but I'm also a CA resident and I was wondering if that was a factor (beyond the normal consideration of being OOS)? Again, this is just an observation, and technically I haven't been rejected yet, but it seems as though the acceptances went out and the rest is on the way in the mail...we'll know for sure tomorrow (or Wednesday) I guess. :xf: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm I don't know about Class of 2012 but I have a friend who is class of 2011 and she said that her class has "several" CA students. She actually asked me if Davis is really super hard to get into b/c she was surprised that there were more than one or two CA residents...

...And I feel like it wouldn't be appropriate to have some non-contract states preferred over other non-contract states. So hopefully it doesn't work against us!

:xf::xf::xf:!

Dang....Now I am regretting that I read this thread before I go to sleep....This is certainly not good for the heart! My hands got freezing cold, too. I am in CA and haven't heard anything yet. Doesn't look like it's gonna be good news, either.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know I really didn't expect to get into CSU in the first place (especially since they don't do interviews: my grades aren't stellar and I'm OOS) but I really wish they would've e-mailed all of us, acceptance or not, because waiting is KILLER. Surely they know that?

Looks like they sent out the list for alternates. I got a letter in the mail today, but they wont say were I am on the list.

Any indication on when the final round of acceptance/rejection letters will be going out?

Looks like they sent out the list for alternates. I got a letter in the mail today, but they wont say were I am on the list.

Did anyone get an actual "rejection" email or letter? I'm going on "no news is good news".......
sigh

Dang! Critterologist, you got a letter today?! I don't think my mail has arrived yet! (I live in the East Bay). Grr! :scared:

Me too!! :)
I know this totally isn't the same as getting accepted, but I'm still excited and just glad they don't say the rank on the waitlist, then that's what I would think about all the time and they said they can tell you until Aug 31st (once classes have started) which is a long time to think about position on the list.

I'm in the South Bay and no letter here either. I'm sure they rejected me, but either way I wish I could know for sure so I could put it out of my mind and move on!

It looks like last years OOS students were notified on the 14th via e-mail. Is there a reason to think acceptances/rejections will come by mail this year?

I got my out of state rejection in snail mail last year. I don't know who told you that fact. Maybe they sent some in email??

Also, I'm still waiting out of state Indiana (Yes i have that same false hope we all have about getting in. It's just exciting to imagine it even if it won't come true lol)

I was also placed on the alternate list. I wish they would tell you where you sat on the list, that way you would know if you had a realistic chance of getting a spot. All of this "what-if" stuff can drive you crazy! I am also curious as to how long the list is?

I really hope that the people that have been accepted and do not plan on attending are quick to decline their offer! There is nothing worse than someone who ties up the opening for months.

I was accepted to there and ISU and am still deciding. I am still leaning towards ISU at the moment but I am visiting Colorado in early February to see the facilities and talk to a couple of the professors before I make a final decision. If I decide not to attend, I intend to let the college know right away (early February!). I understand the frustration about people tying up potential spots that they have no interest in

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my alternate letter in the mail today too. It seems like there are a lot of us, which to me doesn't sound like a good thing. haha i wish i knew my spot in line. at least then I wouldn't have to sit around doing the whole "What if?" crap. Is anyone planning on turning there acceptance down?

If any of you have any questions about CSU, I would be more than happy to answer whatever I can... and I will be super honest in my answers!! I am a 2nd year and OOS.... There are definitely some things I would have liked to have known before I accepted... not sure if I would have changed my mind where I went... but it would have definitely made me think a bit more :)

Sox..

Do you know if the waitlist moves at all?

If any of you have any questions about CSU, I would be more than happy to answer whatever I can... and I will be super honest in my answers!! I am a 2nd year and OOS.... There are definitely some things I would have liked to have known before I accepted... not sure if I would have changed my mind where I went... but it would have definitely made me think a bit more :)

So I wasn't actually accepted this year, but since I will be applying again next year I was wondering if you might comment on the ranking system. I've read some about it in previous threads and on their website... at this point it is one of the few things that concerns me. I probably don't know enough to know what else should concern me!

Thanks! Hope you are having a good year!

So I wasn't actually accepted this year, but since I will be applying again next year I was wondering if you might comment on the ranking system. I've read some about it in previous threads and on their website... at this point it is one of the few things that concerns me. I probably don't know enough to know what else should concern me!

Thanks! Hope you are having a good year!

Ah yes... the good ol ranking system. I, personally, despise the ranking system. A few years ago, CSU decided to make all of our classes pass/fail. This thought sounded amazing to me. Finally the pressure of school would be gone and it was going to be all about learning. Well that is not quite the case. We still get grades in all of our classes and at the end of the semester you end up with a certain number of points. Now your actual grade will be an S or an F, but you will be assigned a rank in each class based on how many points you earned... and then have a cumulative rank calculated... so everyone in the class is assigned a number. Your rank is not public knowledge which is nice. However, we do not have a GPA (making scholarship applications hard to complete), and your only gauge of how you are doing is your rank. So now, when everyone could be happy with a 3.whatever, you have to fret over every question on every test because that could be dropping your rank! Some people are able to ignore the whole ranking system and not let it get to them... and as the semesters go on, I do care less... but it still is something there always irking me!! Again, some people in my class love the rank system.. but I would much rather have normal GPAs!

And as far as the waitlist... I am not too sure about that. I know my year they over-accepted and we had an extra 4 students in my class.

hope that helps a bit :)

It looks like last years OOS students were notified on the 14th via e-mail. Is there a reason to think acceptances/rejections will come by mail this year?

(OOS) Last year I did not receive a rejection email, but I did receive a rejection snail mail FWIW. I applied again this year, with diminishing hopes to get in.....so it probably won't hurt so bad this time around.

Do you remember WHEN you received your rejection? As in how many day/weeks it was after IS got rejections? I'm not sure why I'm so eager to get that letter... I think ANY news is better than no news at this point!

Heya! I am OOS and got accepted and am agonizing over going there or to ISU. can you give an example of anything you wish you knew before you went? I am planning on visiting the campus in a couple of weeks for a tour and hopefully talking with a couple of professors before I make my final decision. The ranking system does not bother me that much, Yale University (where I got my graduate degree) had pretty much the same system for my graduate school. I did not like it at first, but I was ok with it when I graduated, but I did have to do some explaining on my vet applications why I could not give them a graduate GPA.

Also, do you know of students who have opportunities to do research with the USDA APHIS or CDC vectorborne branch there in Fort Collins?

Heya! I am OOS and got accepted and am agonizing over going there or to ISU. can you give an example of anything you wish you knew before you went? I am planning on visiting the campus in a couple of weeks for a tour and hopefully talking with a couple of professors before I make my final decision. The ranking system does not bother me that much, Yale University (where I got my graduate degree) had pretty much the same system for my graduate school. I did not like it at first, but I was ok with it when I graduated, but I did have to do some explaining on my vet applications why I could not give them a graduate GPA.

Also, do you know of students who have opportunities to do research with the USDA APHIS or CDC vectorborne branch there in Fort Collins?

I'm an undergrad at CSU right now and I just got accepted. I don't know too much about the research opportunities, but I can give some insight to the campus and profs. I worked with one of the vet school profs and he was great! Most of the professors like to get to know students and really love what they're doing. Some of the facilities are not the best, like the lecture halls, and the main campus is pretty generic. The anatomy lab is great! comps at every station with interactive anatomy program on them created by CSU profs. The greatest part about CSU is Fort Collins. It's an AMAZING town, very environmentally oriented. All the people are really nice and super friendly! To me, location was a huge part of my decision, and it doesn't get much better than Fort Collins, especially if you like the outdoors. It's also a very dog friendly town, people take their pets everywhere, so that a lot of fun too. Hope this helps, you can PM me if you want to know more.

I dont know about the USDA, CD, or APHIS. I know the CDC is literally a block away from the foothills campus where all the large animal repro labs are. As far as research, there are a lot of opportunities at CSU. I am in the midst of finishing up my master's thesis here and I can say that there are a lot of vet students circulating in and out of labs around here getting experience. Also, if you're interested:
http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/cvmbs/Hands_on_Experience.pdf

http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/Merck-MerialSummerResearchProgram/

http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/researchday/

these may give you some good ideas about what is availible here. I would suggest asking LOTS of questions on your visit, go look at the ARBL, the ERL and research campuses. Talk with professors that are doing research in the fields you are interested in. Lots of vet students here rotate into labs for electives so it's definately something that is availible if you're so inclined.

Congrats on getting in!!! Funny you should ask about APHIS... I actually work there! I got a job there this summer as a student intern and they kept me on during the year. I work with bunch of vet epi's... It is rather interesting to see the behind the scenes of the government! Not sure what your summer plans are, but they are hiring more summer interns... if you go to usajobs.gov and search for animal health technician in ft. collins you can find the job and apply. The $$ and benefits are pretty great for being a student as well. The building is located about 1/2 mile from both main campus and the vet hospital.

Since you will be OOS, think long and hard about the money (if that is a concern to you!) Tuition keeps going up by leaps and bounds (has gone up close to $10,000 since I first accepted) and there is no signs of it slowing down! I am not sure what ISU's tuition is or if you can claim residency eventually? Totally sucks about CSU.. they give the OOS'ers NO breaks at all. We do not get any sort of better loans or scholarships and miss out on the Colorado grants most of the CO residents get and worst of all you cannot switch residency! I am a tad bitter about this, yet I knew about it before accepting... so no one to blame but myself! Overall, I am enjoying CSU... though if I could go back in time, I might have gone to Tufts which was my in-state because even though they are expensive, it would have still saved me probably close to $50,000 in the end... and really, I think any vet school you go to you would get a great education.

On the flip side, Fort Collins is beyond awesome to live in!! (as well as the rest of Colorado!) The weather is fabulous.. scenery is awesome... Ft Collins is the most animal friendly place I have ever lived as well!!!

good luck with your decision and feel free to ask anything else!

Hey all! I am also a 2nd year CSU student with Soxbox and am from CA. First off, I decided on CSU over UCDavis because the tuition at Davis was pretty expensive, making me not overly concerned about paying OOS at CSU and I originally thought I wanted to get into LA orthopedics and CSU has the Equine Ortho Research Center right next to the hospital. I am also from Southern California, so a trip home would still have to be planned out over longer breaks just as they are from CSU. I really don't want to get flamed but when I went up to visit Davis I also got a kind of "holier than thou" vibe that made me uncomfortable. I was offered an interview at Davis but was accepted to CSU before the interview and rejected the offer before finding out if I would have gotten in anyway.

First with the good things at CSU :p The faculty is generally amazing and totally willing to help out with both course material and volunteer work experience. My peers are also great! I don't feel like I run into the pettyness at CSU that people complain about in other schools. If you apply yourself, there is plenty of hands on experience to be had. Fort Collins is an awesome place to live. Being from CA the cold and snow was a huge adjustment that made me pretty miserable last year. I have heard from students from other snowy/ wintery parts of the US (e.g. Michigan, Virginia, Vermont, etc.) who say the winters here are awesome in comparison because we get warm days during the winter and a ton of sunshine throughout the year. For the past week we've had 60+ degree weather and sunshine and it has been great! We also have great dog parks, trails, and other out doorsie things to do out here if you're into that kind of thing. Denver is also not too far away so big city life can be had about an hour away. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me or ask here and I'll check back and see if I can help out with Soxbox!

Soooo, I guess I'll cover some of the things that annoy me :scared:... On the ranking system, I think Soxbox covered it pretty well and as she said, it can be really frustrating when an A isn't enough. I have received within the 95% range in a few classes and ranked in the 50's. It is really frustrating to work that hard and if someone (or several people) get half a point higher than me I'm screwed in rank. The other thing I found frustrating was that many of the students from CSU have already had several of these professors and courses (esp. from the Master's program) and their level of preparedness is difficult to compete with. I also wonder if I'm screwed if I apply through the match and they can't tell if I get A's or C's becuase it's all in rank... I think another important thing to note is the new Capstone exam. As of last year (yay we're the guinea pig class!) we have to take a cumulative exam at the end of each summer of our curriculum. I can see the positive in reviewing the material and helping prepare of the NAVLE. I feel like I have retained the material better than I would have otherwise because I have had to go over it a few times. I really just hope that it will become better organized as the years progress. When we took it this past summer I felt as though there was a great lack of communication about how the exam was going to be run that lead to a general feeling of confusion on what to expect from it. OK enough ranting! I'm sorry if I've made any of you aprehensive but I wish that I would have been more aware of some of these things. I think it is a terrific school and you will be happy if you come here and less annoyed with some of the other things if you come in already aware of them. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me or ask here and I'll check back and see if I can help out with Soxbox!

I don't mean to jack this away from the current discussion but has anyone else not received any word?

I've not gotten anything via e-mail nor snail mail. Kinda worrying that they didn't even process my application now! All my addresses are complete on my form sooooo...not sure if something went majorly wrong or what's up.

I don't mean to jack this away from the current discussion but has anyone else not received any word?

I've not gotten anything via e-mail nor snail mail. Kinda worrying that they didn't even process my application now! All my addresses are complete on my form sooooo...not sure if something went majorly wrong or what's up.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I don't think you need to worry that our applications weren't processed yet. I'm trying to sit tight and brace myself in case the word I finally hear is rejection.

Many of us are in the same situation as you HopefulAg! Check your status page on Colorado's website and that will give you some piece of mind (hopefully) about whether your application was processed. I think the only thing we who haven't heard need to brace ourselves for is rejection. Yet, for us OOSers, that was pretty much a given anyways.

Hold tight and hopefully good news will come this year for all - whether it is at CSU or somewhere else. :xf:

Im in the boat too. No word. Period. I wish the rejection would come already, so i can scratch it off the list.

I wish the rejection would come already, so i can scratch it off the list.

Ditto!!

Here's my optimistic viewpoint: Maybe they're waiting to see how many OOS people accept their offer so they can pull people off the waitlist and then offer us waitlist spots...or better yet, positions in the class :)

I just found this on the announcements section of the application website. It sounds like we'll all be finding out soon.

01.24.09: Letters regarding the Admissions Committee decision(s) for the DVM program have been mailed. You should receive a letter in the mail notifying you of your status (offer, alternate, deny) by Friday, January 30, 2009.

Thanks for that info elefante7, I expect my rejection to arrive soon. At least then I can officially cross CSU off of my very short list... :rolleyes:

I'm gonna have an ulcer by the time the 30th rolls around.

Hey, I've got a question for those following this thread who are either current CSU students or who just got accepted...

You certainly don't have to give any specific details if you don't want to, but are there any of you who didn't have outstanding overall gpa's, but who did well in the pre-req's?

My overall gpa from my 20-year-old business degree was only 3.2, but my vet pre-req's (8 of 'em b/c I took some extras that were suggested but not required), which have all been taken within the last 4 years, have earned me a 4.0.

Have any of you gotten in with numbers like that?

It was a longshot but....I am officially reporting the first "rejection" letter for us OOSers:(....here's to hoping the next four go better:xf:

Im in the boat too. No word. Period. I wish the rejection would come already, so i can scratch it off the list.

I've already convinced myself that no letter by now means that I'm rejected.

Have faith, out-of-staters. It ain't official till you've got it in writing. I'm keepin' my fingers crossed for you guys!

It was a longshot but....I am officially reporting the first "rejection" letter for us OOSers:(....here's to hoping the next four go better:xf:

*Sigh* So sorry to hear that BayleeVet2b - I'm OOS and trying to remain optimistic but fear bad news may arrive any minute...:(

I think that those of us who didn't get that e-mail probably didn't get accepted but I'm crossing my fingers to be on the alternate list for us :) It is soooo much better than being rejected!

I think that those of us who didn't get that e-mail probably didn't get accepted but I'm crossing my fingers to be on the alternate list for us :) It is soooo much better than being rejected!

Agreed...I think that anyone who had made it through this application process deserves a seat somewhere--it's such a draining process!

Hey, I've got a question for those following this thread who are either current CSU students or who just got accepted...

You certainly don't have to give any specific details if you don't want to, but are there any of you who didn't have outstanding overall gpa's, but who did well in the pre-req's?

My overall gpa from my 20-year-old business degree was only 3.2, but my vet pre-req's (8 of 'em b/c I took some extras that were suggested but not required), which have all been taken within the last 4 years, have earned me a 4.0.

Have any of you gotten in with numbers like that?

I was going to post in the acceptances 2013 thread, but I'll put my stats here too. I am OOS, got accepted into CSU and my GPA was good, but not great. My cumulative GPA was about 3.5 with a 3.8 in veterinary prereq's. My GRE's again, not great, but ok (570V, 680Q, 4writing) The thing that may have done it for me is that I got a MPH from Yale University (they do not have a GPA calc so I am unable to list it) and have done thousands of hours of zoonotic disease research both in the field (my current job) and in the laboratory. I really pushed the public health/experience part of my application alot instead of my grades/gre.

BeeBee, SoxBox, CBRgirl, and QTkitty, thank you so much for the information! Do any of you mind if I pm you to ask a couple of questions?

I'm in Arizona. I know someone who got his rejection letter to CSU here on Jan. 21 snail mail. I haven't gotten anything yet. I'm not holding my breath. I only applied to CSU because of my lack of o-chem credits and well, it would be a very nice school to attend. I guess we will all see. Good luck to all!

I was going to post in the acceptances 2013 thread, but I'll put my stats here too.

Thanks for that info! Big congrats to you for making it in! Boy, that's a load off, huh?

Your stats (which I think are pretty darned impressive, btw) make me feel a little better. I have looked at some of the acceptance threads and certainly there are other people whose undergrad gpa wasn't stellar, but I couldn't remember finding anyone who had gotten in to CSU specifically. I have lots of other good stuff for my application, so hopefully they will look beyond a lackluster gpa from so long ago.

Best of luck to you this Fall. I hope you (and others) can find the time to let us know how things go in your first year.

Dang it! How the devil do you guys get your quoted stuff to show up in those neat little boxes?

Last edited:
The waiting game is over for me with CSU. Got my rejection letter today (I'm in CA), it was mailed Jan 22nd.

And now the waiting game continues with Western and Davis...

Does anyone know if the letters are going to perm addresses or current addresses? Not that I'm in a big hurry to get rejected... but I guess I kind of am. heh.

Does anyone know if the letters are going to perm addresses or current addresses? Not that I'm in a big hurry to get rejected... but I guess I kind of am. heh.

Mine came to my current address.....:(

Joining the official CSU Rejects Club!:cool: Oh well, at least the waiting is over...

A HUGE congratulations to those of you who were accepted-- the rejection letter says they received over 1800 applications :eek:!!!! You guys ROCK!