This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrono-strife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!

First let me apologize for posting a thread of a topic with so many posts. But I need some advice.

About to start the winter term of my D1 year. I am okay with doing general dentistry going forward, but I am definitely interested in pediatrics.

Currently attending a non ivy P/F school. So far I have received a few exceptional pass grades in both SIM courses and lecture courses. I have also begun doing research with a focus on pediatrics, and will (hopefully) become a part of ASDA leadership by the end of my 1st year.

Attending a P/F school with no class rank and having part 1 of the boards be P/F as well, what should I be doing to become a competitive applicant and meet requirements for pediatric residencies?

What do I need to do to meet requirements for a peds?
Do I need to take the ADAT?
My school gives us the chance to do some externships during our 4th year, do I need to do additional externships?
When do I apply for residencies?

Thanks a bunch for your responses!!

Members don't see this ad.

Pediatric Dentistry Residency Program | The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
Take a look at some programs you are interested in, there aren't really any official requirements as far as I know but someone else can shed some more light. There is a wealth of information for each program.

http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/ADAT_Program_List.pdf
ADAT program list is constantly changing and will largely be different when you apply.

You apply for residency in between 3rd and 4th year, the application opens in May and deadlines are Aug-Oct for most programs.

Reactions: 1 user