This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sy0311

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a junior at UCLA and am majoring in a social science. I am NOT planning on applying to Dental school until June of 2017, but aiming for the next cycle. I've taken Anatomy, finished the the General Chemistry series, Statistics and am currently enrolled in Biology. (Planning on finishing my biology and physics series before I apply to dental school and taking o-chem after I apply to dental school). Many people watch Chad's Ochem videos (without taking Ochem) and tell me that it has worked for them. I started studying for the DAT a little but but I realized it was TOO early. I'm planning on finishing UCLA Dec of 2017 ,studying from DEC- May taking the DAT May of 2018 aapplyinging June 1st. My question is, how LONG do you think is adequate enough for me to study given that I don't have such a strong background in science. I am planning on watching all of Chad's Gen Chem and Ochem videos on Coursesaver, DAT Bootcamp, DAT Destroyer, Ferallis Notes, Crack the DAT (PAT AND Reading) and Cliff AP Bio 3rd Edition. Do you think 5 months is adequate time or too much time? I'm not worried TOO much about volunteering/shadowing/research experience bc I have it all and am working on adding more to my resume. Also, do you guys have any other sources for the DAT? ANY advice will be appreciated :)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Members don't see this ad.

5 months are enough if you use your time wisely. Try to go over the topics which are posted under ADA website to make sure you don't miss any of them. I think this is the best way to prepare while studying them in the book or watching videos. And practice practice as much as possible just to make you confident. I'm also taking my DAT before applying in June.!! Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
5 months should be enough time. I would recommend, depending on how you learn best, picking up a book like organic chemistry as a second language or something similar. It will give you a little more help with the basics that Chad kind of glosses over and gives you another resource for things that maybe Chad doesn't explain well for you. Good luck.

I would have my major pre-reqs done prior to applying to dental school and taking the DAT.

Reactions: 1 user