Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine cont.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will be living in the housing. I mailed both my deposits yesterday, the one to hold my spot and the housing deposit. I don't know how it compares to places in the area, but I know that I liked the fact that it was so close to campus and it is being remodeled so no nesty carpet from previous renter!!:D I also like that I will be surrounded by my fellow students, so study sessions anytime day or night!!
does anyone know if you could use student housing for just a couple of months? Until we find a house down there?

Members don't see this ad.

recently heard somehow that the total deposit is 2200 ...

interesting. as long as it cuts into the overall fee, i'd be game ...

The 200 for your housing deposit you get back at the end of the year as long as you didn't trash the place. :D

And I don't know if they would let you stay there for a little while, you would have to call Jody and see if he knows.

I am very interested! PM me please. :)

Here is a rundown of what I found in the newpapers I picked up yesterday from the Middlesboro Daily News:

Apartments:
1 bedroom apartment. No smoking, $350 month, $350 deposit. Also 1 bedroom $400 month. $350 deposit. Call 869-8355 (I assume it's a 423 or 606 area code, but the ad doesn't say)

2 bedroom downtown apartment, total electrical. A/C, good neighbors, great parking. $300 + deposit. 606-248-2251

2 bedroom apartment in Middlesboro. Background check & deposit required. Pets OK w/ extra deposit. 606-248-0441, 800-349-9526

2 bedroom duplex in VA. Nice & clean. CH/A. $350 month + depsoit. Reference required. No pets. 606-248-1090

2,3 & 4 bedroom units. Ferndale Apartments. 606-377-8821

Jackson Apartments: 2 bedroom apartment on Laurel Hill, no pets, not HUD approved. $350 month w/ $350 deposit. 606-337-9859

Houses for Rent:

2 bedroom, 1.5 bath, CHA, Middlesboro, $480 month + deposit. 423-869-4084/606-248-5158

Newly remodeled, VA: 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom brick, with new appliances, carpeting, etc. Only minutes from Middlesboro & LMU. $525 month + $500 deposit. Lease & reference required. 606-337-2195 for info.

180 Jaynes Road, Tazewel, TN. 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, 2 car garage. Move in condition. $98,500. Contact Martha Burke, Owner/Broker. Rosenbalm Realty & Appraisals, 312 W. Chester Avenue, Middlesboro, KY Cell 606-269-2160 or 606-242-2023.

The other paper I got was the Pineville sun. They mainly have houses and instead of posting the listings here just goto
http://www.vwilderrealestate.com and take a look.

Hopefully I get an INTERVIEW and I will be able to pick up another round of papers. If enough people are interested in a particular apartment building or house then PM me and I can try to go up and view it for you if I get a chance. Hope this helps some of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this your way of saying you got accepted?

If so, congrats.

As for the 2K, it comes off tuition, but I'm assuming you knew that.

Hmmm....how do you respond to that, Dr. Inviz?:smuggrin: :laugh:

Sweet. Thanks a lot.

Thank you NPEMTIV! I am sure everyone appreciates it!:) :luck:

So, I found out today that it is apparently going to cost twice as much to insure my house because there is no central heat. I wasn't really sure if I wanted to put central heat in or not, but it costs $3000 to $5000 to install it and almost another $1000 or so per year to insure it if it doesn't have it. I guess it would make more sense to install it and have it there for back-up if needed. I can use the woodstoves most of the time if I prefer. Oh, and then I have to insure the barn too.:eek: Oh, and then I have to join the Farm Bureau too so I can have the insurance through them because regular companies won't insure the property.:eek: :smuggrin: I just want my house! This whole thing is getting out of control!:scared:

Would it be possible to get enough in the mortgage to have an HVAC system installed?

Might be a good route to take, or at least look into.

Doubtful. The mortgage my husband and I qualified for is with a down-payment and a higher interest rate because our credit is not great. That's what happens when you have all these kids and are still trying to get through school.:smuggrin: :rolleyes: Anyway, we were thinking about a renovation loan, but then we would probably have to have a co-signer, (although I haven't followed up with that possibility yet.) My parents are more than happy to do that, but we are trying to get the property in our name. One thing we might run into is that the mortgage company may not approve the mortgage unless there is central heat, but because they are a direct lender it may be ok. If that happens, then we would have to work something out with the seller to install central heat and air and then raise the price to cover the difference. I guess we will figure it all out.:luck:

That was my next suggestion...to have the seller agree to install it and add the cost to the price of the house...then everyone should (hopefully) be happy.

This would especially work if the appraisal worked in your favor...assuming that's been done.

Shoot me a message if you have questions...as these are all options we've both looked into and accomplished in various ways when purchasing properties, though I'm far from an expert.

It really is amazing the things you can do in the real estate market to make things work for you.

Good luck, I'm sure it will work out in the end because it's in everyone's interest for it to work out from the buyer, to the seller, to the mortgage co., etc...

Put your agent to work! Make them earn their money! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Doubtful. The mortgage my husband and I qualified for is with a down-payment and a higher interest rate because our credit is not great. That's what happens when you have all these kids and are still trying to get through school.:smuggrin: :rolleyes: Anyway, we were thinking about a renovation loan, but then we would probably have to have a co-signer, (although I haven't followed up with that possibility yet.) My parents are more than happy to do that, but we are trying to get the property in our name. One thing we might run into is that the mortgage company may not approve the mortgage unless there is central heat, but because they are a direct lender it may be ok. If that happens, then we would have to work something out with the seller to install central heat and air and then raise the price to cover the difference. I guess we will figure it all out.:luck:

DrMom,my brother had heat and air installed through the local electric company. he pays so much a month in addition to his electric bill, for like 10 years. It will cost more in the long run, but this is one option. Powell Valley Electric is his electric company. Hope this helps:)

DrMom,my brother had heat and air installed through the local electric company. he pays so much a month in addition to his electric bill, for like 10 years. It will cost more in the long run, but this is one option. Powell Valley Electric is his electric company. Hope this helps:)

Really??? WOW!!! COOL!!! I will definitely check that out. THANKS!:)

OK, we have Holston Electric, and this is what their site says.

Energy right HEAT PUMP FINANCING PROGRAM – With TVA, we offer qualified buyers low interest financing for up to 10 years to install a high efficiency electric heat pump in your home.

Sounds interesting! I will definitely check it out. Great idea!:) :love:

OK, we have Holston Electric, and this is what their site says.

Energy right HEAT PUMP FINANCING PROGRAM – With TVA, we offer qualified buyers low interest financing for up to 10 years to install a high efficiency electric heat pump in your home.

Sounds interesting! I will definitely check it out. Great idea!:) :love:

I think i am just going to put up a huge canvas tent outside of the med school and just live in that.......I am tired of looking for houses..

If I want to get into nascar racing, does that mean I need to grow out a flat-top mullet? :laugh:

I heard that tennessee folks are totally into that (nascar racing I mean).......maybe a "business up top, party in the back" mullet would look good on me anyways.

BTW, this is in no way trying to pick on my man, NASCARDOC.....I just like talking about killer mullets.

LOL! I about at the point of pitching a tent too! You can all set up RVs and tents on my 12 acres and we can have a med student commune or something.:laugh:

Nasar? Yea! They love it down there. We are not far from Bristol. Check this out too.
http://www.volunteerspeedway.com/

Bristol is quite an experience...I would almost call it "can't miss".

My dad is jacked because he's now going to have a free place to stay when he goes to the races. For the first time in years he'll probably actually use his seats at Bristol rather than re-sell them.

My SO would be at home then. He keeps trying to convince me to put a cage in my Mustang and convert it to a drag car. He's performance car obsessed.

Yeah, that is 160,000 people around a 1/2 mile track - Freakin' Awesome!!!

I have a general question about admissions decisions: when someone gives up a spot, does that place in the class go to someone on the waitlist or to a yet-to-be-interviewed candidate? In other words, do schools give out a set number of acceptances and then look at how many acceptances to offer to waitlisters? Or do they try to fill the class first, then look at the waitlist? Perhaps it varies from school to school?

I know this is a question that could be posted in the general pre-do/md forums, but this thread gets so much attention (especially DocMom! [thanks]) that I couldn't resist asking here. thanks!

If I want to get into nascar racing, does that mean I need to grow out a flat-top mullet? :laugh:

I heard that tennessee folks are totally into that (nascar racing I mean).......maybe a "business up top, party in the back" mullet would look good on me anyways.

BTW, this is in no way trying to pick on my man, NASCARDOC.....I just like talking about killer mullets.

Yes it does. :D Mullets were cool. I had one but I got rid of it in like 4th grade. But yes, you will find more mullets at a race than anywhere.

But if you want the true NASCAR experience, you have to stay in the infield RV section during race weekend. I guarantee you have never seen anything like it. Thousands of people up all night, playing games, drinking - just having a good time. The main vehicle of choice is the school bus - usually painted with your drivers favorite colors and, at least, 5 flags waving from an attached 20 foot pole. The fans build a wood deck on top of the bus for two functions:
1) so they can see the race
2) as a stage to sing karyoke with your 10 best friends to Garth Brooks using broom sticks as air guitars and microphones while 200 people cheer you on from below singing just as loud as you. (I kid you not, I saw this with my own eyes) By the end of the night, people usually end up topless, but they don't care.

My wife can second this story...and yes, she LOVES racing, along with football, baseball, etc. I am lucky to have a sports nut wife - ESPN is a must for her :D

LOL! I about at the point of pitching a tent too! You can all set up RVs and tents on my 12 acres and we can have a med student commune or something.:laugh:

Nasar? Yea! They love it down there. We are not far from Bristol. Check this out too.
http://www.volunteerspeedway.com/

:clap::wow::clap:

Freakin' A that is awesome!!! There is nothing like dirt track racing. The mud, the smell, just don't wear white and cover your drinks :smuggrin:

*Nascardoc gets his racing gloves and shoes on*

I have a general question about admissions decisions: when someone gives up a spot, does that place in the class go to someone on the waitlist or to a yet-to-be-interviewed candidate? In other words, do schools give out a set number of acceptances and then look at how many acceptances to offer to waitlisters? Or do they try to fill the class first, then look at the waitlist? Perhaps it varies from school to school?

I know this is a question that could be posted in the general pre-do/md forums, but this thread gets so much attention (especially DocMom! [thanks]) that I couldn't resist asking here. thanks!

:) It depends on the school. Some schools review waitlists periodically throughout the cycle and others wait until towards the end. I think someone posted before that DCOM was going to look at their waitlist in March? (Correct me if I am wrong about that.) Does that answer your question? If you are waitlisted somewhere, I would contact the school and ask how their process works. Good luck!:luck:

Awesome, well if I end up at DCOM, I know where we'll be spending a lot of time. I just found out there's a roller derby team in Knoxville too so I could maybe (if it's not too far and I'm not too busy) still skate. Well, DCOM is looking more and more attractive.

:clap::wow::clap:

Freakin' A that is awesome!!! There is nothing like dirt track racing. The mud, the smell, just don't wear white and cover your drinks :smuggrin:

*Nascardoc gets his racing gloves and shoes on*

LMAO!!! That is not too far from my house. We will have to have the BBQ after the dirt racing I guess.:laugh:

Well, I just did my backgound check. :scared: :laugh: I hope they don't confuse me with someone else or something crazy like that.:eek: Now, if I can only get to the lab sometime soon...I have to get my second hep B shot in two weeks, so maybe I will just get it all done then.

Hey DoctorMom, did all your financing finally go through? When do you move in? And as a side note, what month do they start interviewing at DCOM? Thanks!

LMAO!!! That is not too far from my house. We will have to have the BBQ after the dirt racing I guess.:laugh:

Well, I just did my backgound check. :scared: :laugh: I hope they don't confuse me with someone else or something crazy like that.:eek: Now, if I can only get to the lab sometime soon...I have to get my second hep B shot in two weeks, so maybe I will just get it all done then.

Maybe you can get a TV projector in the barn, put up a big screen, and we can have race and 24 parties there too!!! :laugh:

Hey DoctorMom, did all your financing finally go through? When do you move in? And as a side note, what month do they start interviewing at DCOM? Thanks!

Our tentative closing date is March 1st. We are having the structural and inspection done on 2/20 and the appraisal done on 2/22. I have submitted most of the documents to the mortgage company, but we can't close until my husband has a letter of employment from someone down there. :eek: Hopefully the interview he has set up for the week we are down there works out. I think we are going to try to move at the end of May once I finish organic 2. I am not sure when they will start interviewing at DCOM next year. :luck:

Maybe you can get a TV projector in the barn, put up a big screen, and we can have race and 24 parties there too!!! :laugh:

LOL! :thumbup: :laugh: As long as you don't mind sharing with the goats and horses.;)

I'm wondering who will be living at the DeBusk housing facility at the Ramada Inn they renovated? How does it compare to housing in the area in terms of price?

The security and community (being with med students) is definately a plus and people could get study help.

Well i already reserved my room there, it will be a one bedroom apt (550 per month). I need to get used to the atmosphere before i consider housing or roomates, so it's the best fit for me. Like you said having your classmates in the same building helps immensly...esp when i will be home sick i know there will be people around me in the same boat.

Well i already reserved my room there, it will be a one bedroom apt (550 per month). I need to get used to the atmosphere before i consider housing or roomates, so it's the best fit for me. Like you said having your classmates in the same building helps immensly...esp when i will be home sick i know there will be people around me in the same boat.

When you get homesick, you can just come on down to DocMom's to hang out with the goats and have some real southern BBQ with your classmates. (BTW, I'm not doing the cooking though.:rolleyes: ):) :love:

Yay, at least one other person will be living in the housing provided, I started to think I was gonna be there by myself since everyone is talking about getting houses!! And I know what your talking about, those are the same reasons I wanted to live there.:oops: It will be my first time out of the house, cause all through undergrad I have lived at home to save money.

Anyone considering the 2 room suite?

Anyone considering the 2 room suite?

The two rooms are only for married people unless they have extras at the end. I think there is a list you can put your name on for one of them.

Yay, at least one other person will be living in the housing provided, I started to think I was gonna be there by myself since everyone is talking about getting houses!! And I know what your talking about, those are the same reasons I wanted to live there.:oops: It will be my first time out of the house, cause all through undergrad I have lived at home to save money.

sweet, you can be my neighbor:)

I want to see some pictures of the inside of the DCOM apartments. I saw the drawing layout from that email a while back but Im curious to see exactly what their gonna look like and get a feel for how large the rooms are gonna be so I can figure out how much crap Im gonna bring with. I sent in my room deposit last week. Im sure glad they do have the apartments cause Im really bad with money and at least Ill be guaranteed a place to live while Im down there.lol...Plus it will give me some time to get a lay of the land and I do think it will be easier to meet and find some people to hang out and occasionally study with....

I know that we are all frantically looking for places to live and with that being said I wanted to offer a few suggestions. First of all, Dr. Mom congrats on the house. It sounds awesome. Being a fireman I have done my share of home inprovements and I am willing to help all I can when I get over there in July. Now, for the rest of us, try and remember that if you live outside of TN (ex. KY or VA) you will have to pay the associated taxes. TN does not have an income tax, for those who did not know this. KY and VA do. Also, the cost of car tags in KY and VA are much higher than they are in TN. I have a 2002 truck and my tag was like 110.00 dollars. I live in memphis and I bet the tags are cheaper than this in Harrogate. As far as the tax thing goes. If you live outside of TN, even if you or your significant other works in TN, you will have to pay the income tax to the state you reside. If you just find a place to live in TN you avoid this. Just a few things to think about during our search.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone. To all who are awaiting interview decisions and to all who will interiview, congrats on making it this far and hang in there. It looks as if we are going to be a very close class. I know that DCOM is putting a lot of time in trying to choose students who have personalities that will fit the program.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone. To all who are awaiting interview decisions and to all who will interiview, congrats on making it this far and hang in there. It looks as if we are going to be a very close class. I know that DCOM is putting a lot of time in trying to choose students who have personalities that will fit the program.

I agree--you guys all seem like so much fun to be around and I get really hungry everytime someone mentions barbecue! I have to keep my distance from this thread though because I might get attached and I'm still waitlisted. I hope they start pulling off of the waitlist soon.

I got worried about my place on the waitlist when I saw someone mention that lunch is an informal interview and one should speak up. I don't get out much with 2 kids and a student's limited income, so I was excited about a salad with my meal and no children pulling at my ankles while I ate it! I remember some people asked really great questions (mine had been answered by then I thought), so I listened intently and thoroughly enjoyed my salad! I maybe spoke twice! Oops. Well, we'll see how it works out. In the meantime, congrats on the house doctormom and congrats to all who got/get in!

I agree--you guys all seem like so much fun to be around and I get really hungry everytime someone mentions barbecue! I have to keep my distance from this thread though because I might get attached and I'm still waitlisted. I hope they start pulling off of the waitlist soon.

I got worried about my place on the waitlist when I saw someone mention that lunch is an informal interview and one should speak up. I don't get out much with 2 kids and a student's limited income, so I was excited about a salad with my meal and no children pulling at my ankles while I ate it! I remember some people asked really great questions (mine had been answered by then I thought), so I listened intently and thoroughly enjoyed my salad! I maybe spoke twice! Oops. Well, we'll see how it works out. In the meantime, congrats on the house doctormom and congrats to all who got/get in!

Yes, the salad is good; however, it is important to speak while at lunch. This is like any other business meeting/lunch with your employers-to-be. I'm pretty sure they didn't waitlist you because you thoroughly enjoyed your salad though ;)

goodluck.

I know that we are all frantically looking for places to live and with that being said I wanted to offer a few suggestions. First of all, Dr. Mom congrats on the house. It sounds awesome. Being a fireman I have done my share of home inprovements and I am willing to help all I can when I get over there in July. Now, for the rest of us, try and remember that if you live outside of TN (ex. KY or VA) you will have to pay the associated taxes. TN does not have an income tax, for those who did not know this. KY and VA do. Also, the cost of car tags in KY and VA are much higher than they are in TN. I have a 2002 truck and my tag was like 110.00 dollars. I live in memphis and I bet the tags are cheaper than this in Harrogate. As far as the tax thing goes. If you live outside of TN, even if you or your significant other works in TN, you will have to pay the income tax to the state you reside. If you just find a place to live in TN you avoid this. Just a few things to think about during our search.

Question about that bill for your license plate....does that include personal property taxes?

If so, that's WAY more than we are accustomed to paying for tags...

Thanks for the info.

BTW, went to my mom's for dinner today and she got me a sweet BBQ recipe book written by a 7 time world champion.

Great read.

I live about an hour away from Harrogate in Anderson Co. and I only pay $25 a year for my tags on an explorer. $110 is really high. Also, I found some more stuff about the area for you guys.

Claiborne County Chamber of Commerce:
http://www.claibornecounty.com/

Harrogate city website: (Has some real estate agents listed)
http://www.harrogate-tn.com/

Thanks everyone for the info!

As for my house....I had someone look at it, and it apparently is REALLY BAD!
:( There is NO WAY that it is going to pass any structural. Not only does that mean that we probably wouldn't want it, but there is no way the mortgage company will finance that. :mad: So, I guess we are back at square one again.:smuggrin: So much for my house on 12 acres. We have a few others in mind, but we will have to wait and see them next week when we get down there.:luck:

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. Boy, do I know how you feel about the salad and the kids!:laugh: I am sure you have a good chance of getting off of the waitlist. Just hang in there!:luck: :luck: :luck: