This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justanotherhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just found out that I was denied admission to OSU. I was also denied admission to CSU; which was partly expected considering I'm OOS. But, the rejection from OSU, my IS, really, really, really, bummed me out to say the least. I didn't even get so far as to have an interview...

I wanted to start a thread to chat with other "denied" applicants who are disappointed yet looking to reapply next application cycle. We can talk about what we are doing to improve our application this upcoming year, whether it be retaking courses (cough chemistry cough) or acquiring more experience, or, we could just encourage and motivate each other. Any advice from current vet students who had to reapply would be so, so greatly appreciated, as well.

I don't think being denied, by any means, reflects my own, or your, ability/potential to pursue a career in veterinary medicine. Each of us is smart, brave, and full of potential.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Have you looked at or posted in the "What Are My Chances?" Sticky? People give amazing feedback there on how to improve your app. theres also successful applicant statistics threads to look in, as long as you keep in mind that it is certainly not representative of the whole app pool. I'm not wanting to shoot you down, but normally on here people don't really discuss how to improve apps since the information is already out there. And thats not to say that they couldn't start. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of those resources because those are always the best starting points. Good luck with the next cycle and don't give up! There are some on this forum that have applied over 5 times and got in! :)

People have also talked about the schools giving you a review to tell you how they think you can improve your app so make sure you contact the schools about that! Best of luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People have also talked about the schools giving you a review to tell you how they think you can improve your app so make sure you contact the schools about that! Best of luck!

This. Get file reviews from the schools that denied you. They will give you the best advice on how to improve your application since they have seen the entirety of your application including LOR's and essays.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd also suggest looking over the accepted stats. I learned a lot from combing through successful applicant stats for different schools & watching for trends. I looked at tons of ppls' stats for years back & got a better idea of how I stacked up to the ppl who got in vs me. It gave me concrete ideas of things to do to improve my application.

Also, if you haven't already done so, I'd try emailing Tess as OSU & sitting down with her or whomever she suggests & talking about your application. I talked to her this last summer & got a lot of helpful information & a better idea of what OSU valued. I decided, after talking to her, to not bother applying at OSU again this year as an OOS applicant.

I'm not sure if CSU is meeting with applicants this year. They had a meeting for applicants that weren't accepted two years ago & that really helped me. I also was able to meet last April with the assistant dean of admissions & talk about my application. Those meetings made a real difference in how I wrote my application last year & how I was writing it this year (I got called off alternate list this year in August before I was done with my application).

I'm sorry you didn't get in to CSU or OSU. That's such a bummer place to be. :(

Your idea to get more info is a good one. Improve what you can before next application cycle & keep your chin up. You can do it!

Last edited:
I feel like OSU is used accidentally all the time since it stands for Oregon or Ohio. Is that happening again here?

Don't just get a file review. Take an organized approach to the information you get out of it.

I didn't get accepted the first time around. I went over my application with the school, and I walked out with a list of things that were weak or deficient or whatever. Then I sat down and ranked them twice. The first list was in order of things that would have the most impact. The second list was in order of things that I could reasonably change prior to the next application deadline. Then I merged the lists so that it gave me a nice, prioritized list of things I could do that would have the most impact. Then I just started tackling them.

One key component to helping your chances is to not stop working on things when you submit the application. There's a goodly amount of time between application due date and people finding out they are rejected - it pays to just keep right on chugging away as if you're going to have to apply again. If you have to apply again - you're that much further ahead. If you don't, you've been active in the field and are making contacts, which is a win anyway. Little late now for that, but keep it in mind next time around. Just in case.

Reactions: 13 users
Have you looked at or posted in the "What Are My Chances?" Sticky? People give amazing feedback there on how to improve your app. theres also successful applicant statistics threads to look in, as long as you keep in mind that it is certainly not representative of the whole app pool. I'm not wanting to shoot you down, but normally on here people don't really discuss how to improve apps since the information is already out there. And thats not to say that they couldn't start. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of those resources because those are always the best starting points. Good luck with the next cycle and don't give up! There are some on this forum that have applied over 5 times and got in! :)

I did check out the "what are my chances thread?" and I agree that it's really helpful. But I was really looking for a place to connect specifically with applicants in the same situation as I am or those who have successfully reapplied. It's encouraging to know that there are others who are/have been in this position. I'm not extremely familiar with SDN and what should or shouldn't be posted so I apologize if this post is repetitive or unnecessary. Thanks for the encouragement!

Reactions: 1 users
I did check out the "what are my chances thread?" and I agree that it's really helpful. But I was really looking for a place to connect specifically with applicants in the same situation as I am or those who have successfully reapplied. It's encouraging to know that there are others who are/have been in this position. I'm not extremely familiar with SDN and what should or shouldn't be posted so I apologize if this post is repetitive or unnecessary. Thanks for the encouragement!

No worries! I just wasn't sure if you would have much luck facilitating a discussion of that type, so I wanted you to be aware of other places to turn. You'll find as long as you're courteous to most on here, they're willing to help you.

No worries! I just wasn't sure if you would have much luck facilitating a discussion of that type, so I wanted you to be aware of other places to turn. You'll find as long as you're courteous to most on here, they're willing to help you.

Thanks! Everyone here has been great :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I just found out that I was denied admission OSU. I was also denied admission to CSU; which was partly expected considering I'm OOS. But, the rejection from OSU, my IS, really, really, really, bummed me out to say the least. I didn't even get so far as to have an interview...

I wanted to start a thread to chat with other "denied" applicants who are disappointed yet looking to reapply next application cycle. We can talk about what we are doing to improve our application this upcoming year, whether it be retaking courses (cough chemistry cough) or acquiring more experience, or, we could just encourage and motivate each other. Any advice from current vet students who had to reapply would be so, so greatly appreciated, as well.

I don't think being denied, by any means, reflects my own, or your, ability/potential to pursue a career in veterinary medicine. Get back up on the horse and give it another go around. You're smart, brave, and full of potential.
I admire your tenacity and positive outlook!

Reactions: 2 users
So, I just found out that I was denied admission OSU. I was also denied admission to CSU; which was partly expected considering I'm OOS. But, the rejection from OSU, my IS, really, really, really, bummed me out to say the least. I didn't even get so far as to have an interview...

I don't think being denied, by any means, reflects my own, or your, ability/potential to pursue a career in veterinary medicine. Get back up on the horse and give it another go around. You're smart, brave, and full of potential.
Hey, I'm with you :) I also applied to Ohio and CSU (as well as WSU and LSU) and as of yesterday have now officially been rejected from all 4. This was my very first attempt so with my stats I fully expected to get no acceptances this cycle, but I was hoping to at least get one interview!

I already know that I'll continue taking prereqs/retakes as needed, I retook one for an A last semester and will be taking another prereq class for WSU in the spring. I'll need to retake the GRE to improve my Q and AW scores. I've also taken the occasional shadowing/volunteering days at my local clinic and kept track of the hours (which I should've started BEFORE submitting VMCAS, but oh well), and will continue to look for shadowing/job opportunities during this semester to beef up that vet experience. Also considering requesting a file review from OSU and the others if they offer them, but after getting to know each school's OOS applicant stats, I will probably not bother reapplying to LSU even though it was my undergrad.

I definitely agree with this point:
One key component to helping your chances is to not stop working on things when you submit the application.

I applied three times and Ohio dinna want me either. Just try to figure out where you can improve your application and work on it as best you can.

I'm so sorry about your rejections. It hurts SO much.. I know because I didn't recieve an interview to my top choice (IS), but did get interview to OSU. I applied early so I really wasn't expecting anything, but have learned a little along the way. Compared to other people I know who did not receive an interview to OSU (Ohio), all of them had low Cumulative GPA's. I was reading online that OSU in the last year has really looked at cGPA more heavily for some reason. I also noticed they did not have much diverse experience.. This for sure is an important factor for Ohio I believe.

My advice would be to do a file review, and find out if there was anything specific they think you need to change. Definitely consider retaking courses that you got a C or below in. You can even retake them online at a four year university. You can do a search on here for "online biochemistry" or whatever it is and people write in on how they liked the class. This can help improve your Gpa. Then in your explanation statement you can say "I did initially receive a "_" in Ochem, but decided to retake it and recorded an "A"". Also don't word it like that cuz that was horrible but you know what I mean!

Also look into diversifying your experience. It can be even 25 hours somewhere, but if you get something out of it, great.

I would also consider applying to more schools next year. Consider schools that tend to accept people with lower Gpa's, etc. (I know VA does). I only applied to two schools as well so I know coming from experience it would have been great to have had more schools to pick from IF I had the chance of an interview.

Good luck!

Hey, I'm with you :) I also applied to Ohio and CSU (as well as WSU and LSU) and as of yesterday have now officially been rejected from all 4. This was my very first attempt so with my stats I fully expected to get no acceptances this cycle, but I was hoping to at least get one interview!

I already know that I'll continue taking prereqs/retakes as needed, I retook one for an A last semester and will be taking another prereq class for WSU in the spring. I'll need to retake the GRE to improve my Q and AW scores. I've also taken the occasional shadowing/volunteering days at my local clinic and kept track of the hours (which I should've started BEFORE submitting VMCAS, but oh well), and will continue to look for shadowing/job opportunities during this semester to beef up that vet experience. Also considering requesting a file review from OSU and the others if they offer them, but after getting to know each school's OOS applicant stats, I will probably not bother reapplying to LSU even though it was my undergrad.

I definitely agree with this point:

Its been great hearing from everyone here and also a reminder that I'm not the only one who didn't get accepted/interviewed.. And that's ok! It sounds like you have a great plan (and congrats on that A!). I'm meeting with Sandra Dawkins at OSU for a file review and can't wait to really sit down and figure out a concrete plan for reapplying next year. I think it's a good idea for anyone who got rejected.. Especially since it was so simple to make an appointment and they even offer to speak with you over the phone. Hopefully I'll see you in the class of 2021 ! Good luck!!

I'm so sorry about your rejections. It hurts SO much.. I know because I didn't recieve an interview to my top choice (IS), but did get interview to OSU. I applied early so I really wasn't expecting anything, but have learned a little along the way. Compared to other people I know who did not receive an interview to OSU (Ohio), all of them had low Cumulative GPA's. I was reading online that OSU in the last year has really looked at cGPA more heavily for some reason. I also noticed they did not have much diverse experience.. This for sure is an important factor for Ohio I believe.

My advice would be to do a file review, and find out if there was anything specific they think you need to change. Definitely consider retaking courses that you got a C or below in. You can even retake them online at a four year university. You can do a search on here for "online biochemistry" or whatever it is and people write in on how they liked the class. This can help improve your Gpa. Then in your explanation statement you can say "I did initially receive a "_" in Ochem, but decided to retake it and recorded an "A"". Also don't word it like that cuz that was horrible but you know what I mean!

Also look into diversifying your experience. It can be even 25 hours somewhere, but if you get something out of it, great.

I would also consider applying to more schools next year. Consider schools that tend to accept people with lower Gpa's, etc. (I know VA does). I only applied to two schools as well so I know coming from experience it would have been great to have had more schools to pick from IF I had the chance of an interview.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to look into retaking a few classes. I'll know a lot more after my file review. Ohio state does put a lot of weight on your cGPA.. But luckily they have grade replacement so I can retake my classes and they will completely "forgive" my first grade from my cGPA and replace it with the new grade. Can't wait to get back at it!

I have had some great and diverse experiences so hopefully I won't have to worry about that so much as improving my GPA. I would've applied to more schools but haven't taken the Ochem lab series (and honestly have had no desire to do so.. :p ) OSU doesn't require it.. Or physics. Also, I'm hoping to keep my loans to a minimum (as much as possible!) and going OOS obviously isn't helpful financially.

Did you already have your interview at OSU? If so, how did it go? Best of luck!

Thank you! Your username looks familiar from the OSU Class of 2020 Hopefuls thread. Did you hear back?
You are correct :) Unfortunately I didnt get in...pretty bummed with a Masters and all. But I will be sure to call them for the file review. You?

Its been great hearing from everyone here and also a reminder that I'm not the only one who didn't get accepted/interviewed.. And that's ok! It sounds like you have a great plan (and congrats on that A!). I'm meeting with Sandra Dawkins at OSU for a file review and can't wait to really sit down and figure out a concrete plan for reapplying next year. I think it's a good idea for anyone who got rejected.. Especially since it was so simple to make an appointment and they even offer to speak with you over the phone. Hopefully I'll see you in the class of 2021 ! Good luck!!
Sandra is fabulous. Last year I was also rejected, before interviews, from Ohio state and its my IS. This year I listened to what they told me at my review, made some changes, and I just had my interview on Monday! Don't give up!

Sandra is fabulous. Last year I was also rejected, before interviews, from Ohio state and its my IS. This year I listened to what they told me at my review, made some changes, and I just had my interview on Monday! Don't give up!
Can you share what they thought you should change?

Can you share what they thought you should change?
I had to increase my science gpa just by a little. I had in depth experiences so they said I was good there. So I took a few more biology classes to increase my overall gpa.

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to look into retaking a few classes. I'll know a lot more after my file review. Ohio state does put a lot of weight on your cGPA.. But luckily they have grade replacement so I can retake my classes and they will completely "forgive" my first grade from my cGPA and replace it with the new grade. Can't wait to get back at it!

I have had some great and diverse experiences so hopefully I won't have to worry about that so much as improving my GPA. I would've applied to more schools but haven't taken the Ochem lab series (and honestly have had no desire to do so.. :p ) OSU doesn't require it.. Or physics. Also, I'm hoping to keep my loans to a minimum (as much as possible!) and going OOS obviously isn't helpful financially.

Did you already have your interview at OSU? If so, how did it go? Best of luck!

Yes, I just had my interview yesterday. It went well, but it's so nerve wracking because you really never know how you "did" until you get that acceptance or not. I do wish I had more time and that they asked me more questions about me and my experience. I feel that they did, but not nearly as much as I wanted. The school's itself is beautiful, and they have state of the art equipment with top notch faculty. Having three teaching hospitals on campus too is amazing.

I totally understand not wanting to take classes that you don't "have" to, but if it opens up other schools for you to be able to apply to, I would do it personally. Thats what I'm doing next year if I don't get in. Rather than just working, I would take extra science courses that other schools require that would allow me more schools to apply to rather than just continuing to apply to the same schools. I know IS tuition would be great, trust me! But not applying to more schools that you could possibly be accepted at in the hopes of getting into Ohio for IS would put you behind another year. I know sooo many people who did not get into their IS, and went to another school, and ended up loving their school they went to! So as someone who didn't apply to many (2), I would have personally applied to more, so that I had more options!

Yes, I just had my interview yesterday. It went well, but it's so nerve wracking because you really never know how you "did" until you get that acceptance or not. I do wish I had more time and that they asked me more questions about me and my experience. I feel that they did, but not nearly as much as I wanted. The school's itself is beautiful, and they have state of the art equipment with top notch faculty. Having three teaching hospitals on campus too is amazing.

I totally understand not wanting to take classes that you don't "have" to, but if it opens up other schools for you to be able to apply to, I would do it personally. Thats what I'm doing next year if I don't get in. Rather than just working, I would take extra science courses that other schools require that would allow me more schools to apply to rather than just continuing to apply to the same schools. I know IS tuition would be great, trust me! But not applying to more schools that you could possibly be accepted at in the hopes of getting into Ohio for IS would put you behind another year. I know sooo many people who did not get into their IS, and went to another school, and ended up loving their school they went to! So as someone who didn't apply to many (2), I would have personally applied to more, so that I had more options!

Taking more science courses and applying to other schools definitely isn't completely out of the question.. We'll see what happens. I'll know more after my meeting with Dawkins.

Glad to hear your interview went well, though! Fingers crossed for you! The school is really great.. I've volunteered and shadowed in both the small animal and large animal teaching hospitals and have fallen head over heels in love with the place.

I'm still waiting to hear back from UPenn but I think that's a long shot. Who knows anymore?! Haha I'd love to know when you hear back about your interview. And, if you don't mind sharing, I'd also love to know your stats if you do end up getting in. Best of luck, again!

I decided to not reapply until the 2017 cycle , I'm feeling '22 like T-swift :laugh:, and use the year in between to enroll as a non- degree seeking graduate student. That way I can increase my science gpa, which is a 2.6 right now dang ochem, get more experience and try to raise my GRE score. Plus get the file review when OSU ( Oklahoma) offers it.
the rejection part definitely sucks big time especially at the second week into the semester but fingers crossed for the next cycle.

I decided to not reapply until the 2017 cycle , I'm feeling '22 like T-swift :laugh:, and use the year in between to enroll as a non- degree seeking graduate student. That way I can increase my science gpa, which is a 2.6 right now dang ochem, get more experience and try to raise my GRE score. Plus get the file review when OSU ( Oklahoma) offers it.
the rejection part definitely sucks big time especially at the second week into the semester but fingers crossed for the next cycle.

I think we would be great friends.. you sound very down to earth. :) Can you apply to Ohio with me? hahah Anyways, I had a lot going on health-wise when I started college and didn't have enough "UMPH" left in me to get through OChem with flying colors. Not to mention, I have more of a writer's brain than a scientist's. But I agree, rejection is always the worst.. especially from your dream college in pursuit of your dream career. Knowing I'm not the only one has helped a lot.. specifically because I'm taking classes this semester and all I hear at Ohio State is "I got in!" "So and so got in!" "I finally know what I'm doing with my life!" etc. The rejects are the quiet ones.. understandably. Good luck to you! Love your optimistic outlook and energy, its refreshing!

I think we would be great friends.. you sound very down to earth. :) Can you apply to Ohio with me? hahah Anyways, I had a lot going on health-wise when I started college and didn't have enough "UMPH" left in me to get through OChem with flying colors. Not to mention, I have more of a writer's brain than a scientist's. But I agree, rejection is always the worst.. especially from your dream college in pursuit of your dream career. Knowing I'm not the only one has helped a lot.. specifically because I'm taking classes this semester and all I hear at Ohio State is "I got in!" "So and so got in!" "I finally know what I'm doing with my life!" etc. The rejects are the quiet ones.. understandably. Good luck to you! Love your optimistic outlook and energy, its refreshing!
We can be two peas in a pod! :highfive:. Its funny cause Ohio is one of eight on my list for the next time I reapply but you got this in the bag! Don't let hearing everyone else get you down either we will be in that position eventually. Good luck to you too!

Applied: NC State, UPenn, Texas A&M, Va-MD, UTenn, Lincoln Mem, UGA, U Florida and Auburn.

This is my second application cycle and so far I've already been rejected by NCSU, Texas, VA-MD, Tenn, Lincoln Mem, UGA, Florida and Auburn. At this point I just feel as though I'm waiting it out to be nine times rejected.

I am planning to do file reviews and such and I will re-apply but I can't help feeling down in the dumps and so so frustrated...

Applied: NC State, UPenn, Texas A&M, Va-MD, UTenn, Lincoln Mem, UGA, U Florida and Auburn.

This is my second application cycle and so far I've already been rejected by NCSU, Texas, VA-MD, Tenn, Lincoln Mem, UGA, Florida and Auburn. At this point I just feel as though I'm waiting it out to be nine times rejected.

I am planning to do file reviews and such and I will re-apply but I can't help feeling down in the dumps and so so frustrated...
I can't imagine the frustration and defeat you're feeling but, I admire your perseverance.. keep your head up! I'm a firm believer in "whats meant to be will find its way" .. I would definitely do the file reviews and do whatever it is they say to improve your application. If these are schools that you've now been twice denied from, maybe consider switching it up and applying elsewhere next application cycle. They just may not be the right fit for you. Good luck! Keep smiling!

Last edited:
It's been quiet for a while but I had my file review earlier this month and figured I'd share.

My science GPA was extremely low (3.0) compared to other applicants so I'll be retaking two Chem classes this summer. The great thing about Ohio State is that instead of averaging the two grades from the first time you took the class and the retake, they completely replace the first grade. So, thats encouraging. If I can pull off some A's the second time around, my science GPA and cumulative will both get a huge boost!

I was also told I need more veterinary experience hours and community service hours and I was a little shocked at that news considering I had easily over 1500 hrs total of experience while being employed on average 20 hrs/week. I had 200 vet showing hrs in small animal medicine and 100 in large animal. The "rubric" type sheet I was given that the admissions board uses to evaluate applicants suggested at least 50 hrs in four areas with a veterinarian: small animal, large animal, equine, and exotic or research. I've noticed getting vet experience with equine and exotic/research is extremely difficult around here (pretty impossible to find any paid position) so if anyone has any suggestions for me I'd be SO appreciative.

As far as community service, I'm in the process of training our dog to be a therapy dog. I'm specifically interested in taking him to visit hospice, hospital patients, and children in a special reading program. I'm so excited for him because he is SO happy to be with people and such a loving boy. Anyways, working on that will hopefully show a commitment to community service.

Fingers crossed I'll be better prepared next application cycle. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I was also told I need more[...] community service hours

I feel like this one gets neglected. I've been consistently telling people for a long time when they show up here asking how to prepare that they shouldn't neglect being a decent human being who gives back to the community around them. *Everyone* who is in a position to even consider going to veterinary school in the U.S. is privileged (which doesn't equate to being rich). And they should be leveraging that position of privilege to give back, because that's what compassionate, public-spirited people do. But people get so worried about gpa and veterinary hours (which are obviously important) that they neglect it. Those less tangible things like leadership roles and significant community involvement could easily be something that pushes your application a tiny margin ahead of the one next to it.

Fingers crossed I'll be better prepared next application cycle.

You definitely will! Now you have a much better idea of what they expect, and you have a trajectory to meet the expectations. Makes it so much easier to focus your energy/time. The fact that you took the time to do the review alone says you're serious about improving your chances. Keep on keepin' on, and be hopeful for the next go-around.

Reactions: 7 users
Class of 2021 here we come! Some encouraging quotes I read: "If you never fail your playing it too safe" and "Your never wrong if you follow what the heart wants". Going for my file review next month at OSU woot woot!

I feel like this one gets neglected. I've been consistently telling people for a long time when they show up here asking how to prepare that they shouldn't neglect being a decent human being who gives back to the community around them. *Everyone* who is in a position to even consider going to veterinary school in the U.S. is privileged (which doesn't equate to being rich). And they should be leveraging that position of privilege to give back, because that's what compassionate, public-spirited people do. But people get so worried about gpa and veterinary hours (which are obviously important) that they neglect it. Those less tangible things like leadership roles and significant community involvement could easily be something that pushes your application a tiny margin ahead of the one next to it.

This is so true. And don't do community service just to get points for vet school. Do it because it's what you believe in. It's
easy. Just pick something that you enjoy doing, and give your time. It doesn't have to be vet related. You can have a lot of fun doing it. And you don't need to research hard and pick something that has a high barrier of entry.

From the time I was 16, I've always had one or two things I volunteered for. Some animal related, some with children. Now that I'm a vet it's all veterinary, but before that I did a lot of afternoon school programs and tutoring programs. It was fun, I learned a ton, and it really helped develop my character over the years. It wasn't until my vet school interviews that I realized it gave me a leg up on admissions. A couple of interviewers explicitly commented that they were impressed that I was committed to community service on top of everything I had done to apply to vet school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

You definitely will! Now you have a much better idea of what they expect, and you have a trajectory to meet the expectations. Makes it so much easier to focus your energy/time. The fact that you took the time to do the review alone says you're serious about improving your chances. Keep on keepin' on, and be hopeful for the next go-around.

It's SO true. Community service is something people don't seem to think about doing.. especially compared to maintaining a high GPA and getting vet experience hours. I will say though, finding time for it all is challenging. Life is busy and stressful and I hold the weekend sacred. I'm guilty of hoarding the free time I do have as opposed to being giving of my time to the community. But, finding something you're passionate about is definitely the key. Any Saturday making people smile with my pup is FAR better than sleeping in until noon and netflix-ing all day (although sometimes those days are ok, too). BALANCE!

This is so true. And don't do community service just to get points for vet school. Do it because it's what you believe in. It's easy. Just pick something that you enjoy doing, and give your time. It doesn't have to be vet related. You can have a lot of fun doing it. And you don't need to research hard and pick something that has a high barrier of entry.

From the time I was 16, I've always had one or two things I volunteered for. Some animal related, some with children. Now that I'm a vet it's all veterinary, but before that I did a lot of afternoon school programs and tutoring programs. It was fun, I learned a ton, and it really helped develop my character over the years. It wasn't until my vet school interviews that I realized it gave me a leg up on admissions. A couple of interviewers explicitly commented that they were impressed that I was committed to community service on top of everything I had done to apply to vet school.

You know, when I was in high school a lot of my classes required that I do community service, and I sort of hated it then. Later I recognized that there was a lot of good reasoning behind making me volunteer (beyond, of course, the fact that it's simply a good thing to do). It made me more civic-minded, I had more investments in other people/the community doing well, and I was giving back to others while making headway toward my goals instead of stepping over them. I volunteer my time a lot now because I recognize not just how much of a gift someone's time/help can be, but also because it has made me a better, kinder, generally more thoughtful person.

I had a lot of trouble with this on my application. I wasn't part of a career field that cared so I never really wrote down anything I did. I never did any work super consistently but I did the therapy dog nursing home thing, big brothers/big sisters, charity events, cleaned cages at a no-kill, picked up trash, habitat for humanity for a day, etc. Never logged it. I never did it to use it as a leg up. I did it because I wanted to help. Trying to recall and log it made me feel bad about it.

This is so true. And don't do community service just to get points for vet school. Do it because it's what you believe in. It's
easy. Just pick something that you enjoy doing, and give your time. It doesn't have to be vet related. You can have a lot of fun doing it. And you don't need to research hard and pick something that has a high barrier of entry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I completely agree. What's unfortunate is that there seems to be a drift towards a "Well, I'm not doing something that I'm not getting paid for" line of thinking. I totally get that...most pre-vets see the looming student loans and want to plan accordingly. However, it definitely drifts past unpaid internships (which we've all discussed on here) and into community service. It's sad..some of my best memories are volunteering at my local ARC. Not animal related, not paid, just doing my part.

I completely agree. What's unfortunate is that there seems to be a drift towards a "Well, I'm not doing something that I'm not getting paid for" line of thinking. I totally get that...most pre-vets see the looming student loans and want to plan accordingly. However, it definitely drifts past unpaid internships (which we've all discussed on here) and into community service. It's sad..some of my best memories are volunteering at my local ARC. Not animal related, not paid, just doing my part.

THIS. I've had the most fun volunteering my time to the homeless and their pets more than I have at my regular paid vet tech jobs. I love it! I also notice I am appreciated more there :) Actually, the fact that I'm not obligated to go and volunteer every week means that I truly want to be there and help out. It is something I look forward to every time I do it, and I get more gratification from it BECAUSE I volunteer. I am trying to do more of it, but classes and personal life situations always get in the way!

I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, but (obviously) I wasn't accepted this cycle and I'm wondering about what to do over the next ~8 months.

I don't need to retake courses, but I haven't taken STATS or "biology-department genetics" (I took the animal science genetics) or advanced cell biology (which I've heard is the bane of every BCMB student's existence---the smartest people I've ever met made Bs in it; not that that would necessarily scare me away from it. I've been through organic, organic lab, and biochem, so really I have no excuse to be afraid of it lol.).

I do need quite a bit more large animal vet experience (I haven't heard back yet, but I'm almost certain that's why I didn't get in this round), and it wouldn't hurt to get more community service either.

SO, I'm wondering if I should focus on experience or try to go back to school and take some part-time classes so I can reapply to other schools. Since the cycle will have already opened by then, would it even really affect the applications much since I'd still be "in-progress" with completing the courses? OR should I go back full-time and pursue a master's degree in something beneficial/appealing like micro or public health/business?

Like if experience is all I'm missing, should I just invest all my time in that? An advantage to this is being able to potentially make more money instead of increasing my student loan debt even more by going to grad school/taking other classes.

OR, should I just ask all of these questions to the vet school directors when I meet with/call them to talk about my rejected application? :p I guess I'm just trying to get some first-hand experience from students/people who've been in this sort of position.

I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, but (obviously) I wasn't accepted this cycle and I'm wondering about what to do over the next ~8 months.

I don't need to retake courses, but I haven't taken STATS or "biology-department genetics" (I took the animal science genetics) or advanced cell biology (which I've heard is the bane of every BCMB student's existence---the smartest people I've ever met made Bs in it; not that that would necessarily scare me away from it. I've been through organic, organic lab, and biochem, so really I have no excuse to be afraid of it lol.).

I do need quite a bit more large animal vet experience (I haven't heard back yet, but I'm almost certain that's why I didn't get in this round), and it wouldn't hurt to get more community service either.

SO, I'm wondering if I should focus on experience or try to go back to school and take some part-time classes so I can reapply to other schools. Since the cycle will have already opened by then, would it even really affect the applications much since I'd still be "in-progress" with completing the courses? OR should I go back full-time and pursue a master's degree in something beneficial/appealing like micro or public health/business?

Like if experience is all I'm missing, should I just invest all my time in that? An advantage to this is being able to potentially make more money instead of increasing my student loan debt even more by going to grad school/taking other classes.

OR, should I just ask all of these questions to the vet school directors when I meet with/call them to talk about my rejected application? :p I guess I'm just trying to get some first-hand experience from students/people who've been in this sort of position.

IIRC, most schools want a statistics course, so that could be one you take. However, even if you add more courses to open up your school options, chances are those schools are also going to want stronger experience hours (if that's your current weakness - I have no idea what your hours are). So I would definitely have a plan to get more experience hours.

Also, did you interview or just get rejections? If you were rejected post-interview, I'd do a lot of practice interviews with people to determine if there are any areas you can improve on.

IIRC, most schools want a statistics course, so that could be one you take. However, even if you add more courses to open up your school options, chances are those schools are also going to want stronger experience hours (if that's your current weakness - I have no idea what your hours are). So I would definitely have a plan to get more experience hours.

Also, did you interview or just get rejections? If you were rejected post-interview, I'd do a lot of practice interviews with people to determine if there are any areas you can improve on.

I was only offered on interview (from my IS school); all OS schools didn't even offer me an interview. :/ So I'm *fairly* certain that my relatively low hours with large animal vet med is what the issue is, although I definitely plan on getting in touch with all of the schools I applied to and figuring out what the issue(s) was/were.

Maybe I could work part-time while also taking STATS in the fall? If anything, is that the most beneficial course I could pick up? Not very many schools (Auburn, I know, does) ask specifically for advanced cell bio, and it varies whether or not they ask for biology-specific genetics courses.

I was only offered on interview (from my IS school); all OS schools didn't even offer me an interview. :/ So I'm *fairly* certain that my relatively low hours with large animal vet med is what the issue is, although I definitely plan on getting in touch with all of the schools I applied to and figuring out what the issue(s) was/were.

Maybe I could work part-time while also taking STATS in the fall? If anything, is that the most beneficial course I could pick up? Not very many schools (Auburn, I know, does) ask specifically for advanced cell bio, and it varies whether or not they ask for biology-specific genetics courses.

Have you posted all of your stats here or on the "what are my chances" thread? If you haven't, I would do that. That way you can see what others comment on. Which schools did you apply to, and how many? Maybe the ones you applied to looked at certain things more (like hypothetically if you applied to CO, UCDavis, Cornell but your gre score and gpa are both mediocre, plus you don't have research experience, these things are important to these schools. Then definitely choose other schools to apply to as well that don't look at this as much). How is your gpa? Gre score? Maybe think of retaking it this summer. It's hard to say what to "improve" on without knowing any of your stats. Speaking of stats I would definitely take it! My suggestion would actually be to take it this spring or summer as a non-degree seeking student. If a school offers it in a classroom you could do that, but I would personally just take it online. That way you can get experience by volunteering as several different places. There are lots of schools that offer online courses, so I assume statistics is probably one of them. If you do this now, you will have the class done before you submit your vmcas application. This way you get it on your application and they see it with a grade and those added credits to help boost your gpa a little bit too. If you can take another upper division course too that other schools require to increase the number of schools you can apply to, do that! Have you taken a year of general Bio and a year of Ochem? Have you taken calculus? These are things you can think of when considering which schools to apply to this coming year. How many did you apply to? You probably will want to apply to the same schools and more that will consider your application. I can't tell you how many people reapply and reapply just to keep reapplying to the same schools and only adding maybe one school each time. You have to play to your strengths. Don't apply to schools that look at cumulative gpa a lot if your cum gpa is very low. If your last 45 gpa is really high, apply to schools that look at that a lot. Just research the schools and figure out which ones will consider you and your application. Don't spend time and money applying to schools that are not within your reach. I hope this helps!

Last edited:

I think that would be the best plan. If your grades are strong (if I remember your app correctly you had great numbers) the value of taking more classes just to get your foot in the door another couple of places isn't really worth it in my opinion. Work on strengthening your large animal/equine and "other" experiences, as well as some community service/volunteering/leadership if you don't already have any of that. Good luck :)

Start looking for more experience now, but definitely get those file reviews scheduled. Most schools provide excellent feedback. I was on the phone with a few schools for over an hour asking questions and getting honest feedback. It's truly the only way to know for sure where you're lacking.

My academic numbers were okay, just about average/slightly above. I elected not to repeat any courses and went with the experience route. Had I retaken courses, maybe I'd be at my IS now (but then again, I've seen smarter people with good experience get rejected from that school). Look for unique opportunities if you can-you want something that people will remember reading about when they go home that night.