Dental HPSP class of 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He/she is saying that the salary that the military pays when joining after graduating an expensive dental school will make it difficult to pay off his/her loans.
True, True. But there are also sign-on bonuses and loan repayment programs for dentists in the military. It might not be the absolute best way to pay off loans, but if you want to serve then it's an option

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
True, True. But there are also sign-on bonuses and loan repayment programs for dentists in the military. It might not be the absolute best way to pay off loans, but if you want to serve then it's an option

Actually considering doing this if things don't work out with the 4-year scholarship, the 3-year and 2-year scholarships just seem to put you in an awkward position financially, at least from my current perspective. Carrying $100k+ loans into a 3 to 4 year service contract when o3 salaries are only around $50k-$60k seems like a lot to handle, but I guess I would actually have to run the numbers comparing all of my different options once I'm actually making these decisions. I just don't want to end up in a loan situation I can't handle.

Is anyone who submitted their application for the first board still waiting to hear back from the Navy?

My officer told me the board was issuing final select letters then covid-19 put stop to it. So some people received a final selection while many others haven’t.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone who submitted their application for the first board still waiting to hear back from the Navy?

My officer told me the board was issuing final select letters then covid-19 put stop to it. So some people received a final selection while many others haven’t.

Before the final select letters are sent out (which happens after your scroll is approved by Congress weeks or months after you are informed that you received the scholarship) your recruiter should get the “unofficial selection”/pro recommendation results. I‘m pretty sure the results are out right now for the first and last board, but if you read through this form you see a lot of inconsistencies in the information that recruiters are given so I could be totally wrong.

Have you already been selected and you’re just waiting on the final select letter or are you still waiting to hear if you received the scholarship?

Before the final select letters are sent out (which happens after your scroll is approved by Congress weeks or months after you are informed that you received the scholarship) your recruiter should get the “unofficial selection”/pro recommendation results. I‘m pretty sure the results are out right now for the first and last board, but if you read through this form you see a lot of inconsistencies in the information that recruiters are given so I could be totally wrong.

Have you already been selected and you’re just waiting on the final select letter or are you still waiting to hear if you received the scholarship?
I was told that I am “PRO YES.” And 52 people are selected in that category but only 48 scholarships are available. So the board was finalizing who will get the scholarship.

I was told that I am “PRO YES.” And 52 people are selected in that category but only 48 scholarships are available. So the board was finalizing who will get the scholarship.

Gotcha, I won’t be any help then. I was very lucky and got my final select letter about two weeks after being pro-recommended. From what I’ve heard it can sometimes take months for your scroll to be approved by Congress because there are a bunch of other names of people that will also be commissioning on your scroll. So if there is any kind of error, like a misspelling or anything like that then everyone’s commissioning will be delayed.

I got selected for the Army HPSP but I still have not received my SCROLL yet, most likely due to COVID19, anyone else in the same boat?

I got selected for the Army HPSP but I still have not received my SCROLL yet, most likely due to COVID19, anyone else in the same boat?

Have you commissioned or received your final select letter? I’m a Navy HPSP recipient and I haven’t received my scroll yet but I received my final select letter and was able to commission.

Have you commissioned or received your final select letter? I’m a Navy HPSP recipient and I haven’t received my scroll yet but I received my final select letter and was able to commission.
I have not received my final select letter and/or commissioned yet. If it matters, I am from the Bay Area (CA) where we are considered a major hotpsot as well.

I have not received my final select letter and/or commissioned yet. If it matters, I am from the Bay Area (CA) where we are considered a major hotpsot as well.
I'm in the same boat for army. Scroll is approved but don't have final selection letter yet, so haven't commissioned yet. My recruiter is near Atlanta and I message him frequently for updates.

What exactly is this final selection letter? My recruiter is not aware of it. I was selected in the first Army board and notified in mid Feb. He told me all I have to do is wait for the scroll to come and I can commission right away afterwards. @Pilch1641 @Struck by Whitening

What exactly is this final selection letter? My recruiter is not aware of it. I was selected in the first Army board and notified in mid Feb. He told me all I have to do is wait for the scroll to come and I can commission right away afterwards. @Pilch1641 @Struck by Whitening
From what my recruiter has said, my scroll came back from congress and that was when I was notified I was selected. The final approval is an official memorandum from the Health Services Directorate saying I can commission and move forward with my contract. Not sure what is correct anymore, but my recruiter has been do HPSP recruiting for a few years so I hope it's right. He's good at responding promptly and tries to keep me as informed as possible.

And covid might be making everything go slower than usual.

Happy waiting!

Just thought of this, since mine is waiting at Health Services Directorate, it may be because I had to get a vision waiver (astigmatisms), so I may be under a different process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
From what my recruiter has said, my scroll came back from congress and that was when I was notified I was selected. The final approval is an official memorandum from the Health Services Directorate saying I can commission and move forward with my contract. Not sure what is correct anymore, but my recruiter has been do HPSP recruiting for a few years so I hope it's right. He's good at responding promptly and tries to keep me as informed as possible.

And covid might be making everything go slower than usual.

Happy waiting!

Just thought of this, since mine is waiting at Health Services Directorate, it may be because I had to get a vision waiver (astigmatisms), so I may be under a different process.
I texted my recruiter and he said my SCROLL was released and that he also is not aware of the final selection letter. He also said things are slow because of the COVID-19 dilemma and that I need to graduate before I am able to commission.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also had an acceptance letter with my app. My recruiter told me I got in, but it's unofficial. Something about waiting for Congress to sign the documents with our names on it or something. I had to send my recruiter a form from my school registrar, and so did another Navy recipient I know.

I've been bugging my recruiter about the official release and swear in date, and he can't give me a straight answer either. The other applicants I know have already been notified if they're in or on OML, but it is still unofficial. So I can see that your recruiter probably knows of your status but wants to wait on the official documents before telling you.
After you were pro recommended, did you hear any answer from your recruiter like you are finally selected or your scroll is released?

After you were pro recommended, did you hear any answer from your recruiter like you are finally selected or your scroll is released?
My recruiter said my Scroll came back same time I was pro recommended. Not sure if you had to get some type of medical waiver, because I did, so that may be why mine was sent to Health Services for final sign off.

Also, I literally got a text from my recruiter with a picture of his laptop screen showing my name signed off by the Director of Health Services 30 minutes ago! I can now complete the paperwork and commission!

He said they received directive today to allow for virtual commissioning given the current situation, so I will be taking the oath via web cam. Crazy stuff.

so what happens if you sign up for the scholarship, and then you want to quit school? can you walk away scotch free, or do they force your to serve in the real military?

so what happens if you sign up for the scholarship, and then you want to quit school? can you walk away scotch free, or do they force your to serve in the real military?
Lol you owe all that money back to the military

I was pro-recommended for the Navy 4 year HPSP back in February and JUST got my final select letter! I should be commissioning some time next week :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just received a text from the Army recruiter to set up video chat to commission. I never received a final letter or anything. Just a verbal from the recruiter that I was selected.

Does anyone know if there is a FB group or even a groupme for Navy HPSP class of 2024 dental students?

My SCROLL was finally released and I'm supposed to commission over FaceTime this Friday.

Reactions: 5 users
Won’t let me message you.

Ok I just fixed that, thanks for letting me know!

I don’t use Facebook very often, but it looks like we need to be friends before I can invite you to the group. I just sent you a request.

Last edited by a moderator:
So there is a public Facebook page for Navy HPSP. The page name is “Navy Dental HPSP Class of 2024”

I have a question about the 3-year HPSP scholarship. I just got accepted into dental school on May 1st and I have known that I want to apply for the HPSP scholarship. I know I already missed the 4-year deadline, however, I want to apply for the 3-year option. I contacted my local Air-force recruiter and she said I can't apply for the 3-year scholarship until next year. Is this correct? I have heard on other forums that the cycle closes in July, I have also heard that people have applied for the 3-year scholarship when they start dental school and end up getting it soon after. Is my recruiter wrong? Am I just misunderstanding the process?

I have a question about the 3-year HPSP scholarship. I just got accepted into dental school on May 1st and I have known that I want to apply for the HPSP scholarship. I know I already missed the 4-year deadline, however, I want to apply for the 3-year option. I contacted my local Air-force recruiter and she said I can't apply for the 3-year scholarship until next year. Is this correct? I have heard on other forums that the cycle closes in July, I have also heard that people have applied for the 3-year scholarship when they start dental school and end up getting it soon after. Is my recruiter wrong? Am I just misunderstanding the process?
I suppose your recruiter is wrong. I started processing around May last year, did an interview in late October, and got accepted in January 2020. (3 year AF )

I was planning on applying to two branches of the Armed Forces to increase my overall chances of receiving an HPSP scholarship. BUT in the US Army applicant processing agreement, it states, "we will not process you if you are working with other branches. ... We reserve the right to stop processing your application if we discover this is the case." Has anyone else processed with multiple branches and what were the results? Should I just pick a branch and only focus on that one? Do I ruin my chances with both if they find out I am applying for both? Is it even likely they find out that I am applying to two different branches?

I was planning on applying to two branches of the Armed Forces to increase my overall chances of receiving an HPSP scholarship. BUT in the US Army applicant processing agreement, it states, "we will not process you if you are working with other branches. ... We reserve the right to stop processing your application if we discover this is the case." Has anyone else processed with multiple branches and what were the results? Should I just pick a branch and only focus on that one? Do I ruin my chances with both if they find out I am applying for both? Is it even likely they find out that I am applying to two different branches?
I processed with both the Army and the Navy and they knew about each other. I also wanted to increase my chances. I received Army and commissioned a few weeks ago.

Did your recruiter share that with you or is it in the paperwork? I don't remember seeing anything like that, but may have missed it. I'd suggest asking your recruiter to see how likely this would happen if you proceed with multiple branches.

Best of luck.

I processed with both the Army and the Navy and they knew about each other. I also wanted to increase my chances. I received Army and commissioned a few weeks ago.

Did your recruiter share that with you or is it in the paperwork? I don't remember seeing anything like that, but may have missed it. I'd suggest asking your recruiter to see how likely this would happen if you proceed with multiple branches.

Best of luck.
It stated that in the applicant processing agreement for the US Army. PM me if you would like to see the document itself. You just received the Army 4 year?

It stated that in the applicant processing agreement for the US Army. PM me if you would like to see the document itself. You just received the Army 4 year?
Interesting. I received the 4 year for Army and commissioned and signed my contract last month. Guess it depends on your recruiter.

Did anyone had to wait for a RFO (request for order) in order to commission? I was selected in mid February or I guess pro-recommended but I'm a little concerned if I will ever commission because the wait is soo long. Also is it safe to assume that you will 100% commission if you are pro-recommended/selected?

I applied for both Army and AF, and recruiters from both branches knew. It shouldn't be a big deal, but to be safe you can be upfront to the recruiter about it. Say you prefer their branch, but you also want to ensure you get the scholarship. At the end of the day, if you get offered two scholarships you get to make the decision and they can't stop you. It's better to be upfront, because you don't want to waste time with 1 recruiter and have them bail on you if they find out you're trying to get into another branch. If the recruiter decides to work with you despite knowing you're applying to multiple branches, great! If they refuse to work with you, find another recruiter

I called my recruiter from the Army last week and he said that "a few" people had gotten off the waitlist, but said he did not have any other information regarding my spot on the waitlist or any other specifics. Is anyone on here one of the people who got off the waitlist recently, and if so, would you mind sharing your stats?

For those of you who have signed 3 years Army or AF, has anyone received your stipend yet? (Not Tuition)

Is the OML for the army ranked?

I'm still currently on OML for the 4-year scholarship. If anyone has gotten off the army OML, it would be great to hear when you heard back!

For those of you who have signed 3 years Army or AF, has anyone received your stipend yet? (Not Tuition)
I’m a two year AF recipient and I got commissioned at the end of Feb. I got my first stipend on the 15 of May.

I’m a two year AF recipient and I got commissioned at the end of Feb. I got my first stipend on the 15 of May.
I signed the contract at the end of January, and still haven't got it. Did you get back paid the stipend that is owed back to your signing date?

I signed the contract at the end of January, and still haven't got it. Did you get back paid the stipend that is owed back to your signing date?
Yes, you will get it all back. Your stipend begins on the date you commissioned, even if it comes late you'll still get the full amount

Yes, you will get it all back. Your stipend begins on the date you commissioned, even if it comes late you'll still get the full amount

I just called the HPSP representative and found out that the stipend is not paid until the new academic year begins. I know that many people have already received it, but the representative told me that it is not possible. I heard that the stipend received before the new academic year will be treated as a debt and should be corrected right away, but I don't know who's right.

Last edited:
I just called the HPSP representative and found out that the stipend is not paid until the fall begins. I know that many people have already received it, but the representative told me that it is not possible. I heard that the stipend received before the fall will be treated as a debt and should be corrected right away, but I don't know who's right.
OH wait a second. When do you start school? The stipend only begins once you've signed the contract, taken the oath, AND have started school, whichever comes LATEST. So if you've taken the oath and signed the contract, but your school year doesn't start until Fall, you don't get the stipend until starting fall

OH wait a second. When do you start school? The stipend only begins once you've signed the contract, taken the oath, AND have started school, whichever comes LATEST. So if you've taken the oath and signed the contract, but your school year doesn't start until Fall, you don't get the stipend until starting fall

I am D1 already, but tuition reimbursement starts in the fall (D2). Hkim said she got commissioned at the end of Feb and got the first stipend on the 15 of May. (I think none of them start the new school year in May) Does that mean she should correct it?