Dental HPSP class of 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone currently on the Navy HPSP have an idea what the stipend is after taxes?
I believe the $20,000 is taxed all the same, and comes out to be around $15,000-$16,000 (at least in Florida, which doesn't have state taxes). You should receive some of it back when you file taxes the following year though

Members don't see this ad.

After getting the call from my recruiter, I know there is the AYS form to be submitted, but after that's done, what's next?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen on other threads that now we just have to wait until our "scroll" is approved by Congress before we can get sworn in, and it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months? Does anyone have any insight into this?

After getting the call from my recruiter, I know there is the AYS form to be submitted, but after that's done, what's next?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen on other threads that now we just have to wait until our "scroll" is approved by Congress before we can get sworn in, and it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months? Does anyone have any insight into this?
Yes, your name will be sent up on a scroll to congress to be approved. This can take a couple weeks to several months.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the $20,000 is taxed all the same, and comes out to be around $15,000-$16,000 (at least in Florida, which doesn't have state taxes). You should receive some of it back when you file taxes the following year though
Yep, bonus will be taxed at 25% by the feds. If you were asking about stipend amount it’s almost $2400 per month, and almost doubles during your 45 days ADT each year.

Anyone know why Army HPSP 20k bonus is given after graduation? A student at the dental school I will be attending said that he will be getting it post graduation. I thought it was applied during the beginning of dental school. My Army recruiter also said I receive it when I graduate.

Anyone know why Army HPSP 20k bonus is given after graduation? A student at the dental school I will be attending said that he will be getting it post graduation. I thought it was applied during the beginning of dental school. My Army recruiter also said I receive it when I graduate.

My recruiter said that it will be given in the beginning of the school year in three installments of 9,000, 9,000 and then 2,000 before taxes. I haven't heard of it being paid to us after school? I hope not...lol

And I got the bonus soon after I commissioned in one lump sum lol. I also thought it was supposed to be given in 3 installments of 9000, 9000, and 2000 to minimize taxation, but who knows xD

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone who got the Army scholarship officially commissioned yet?

Has anyone who got the Army scholarship officially commissioned yet?
I haven't. I haven't even heard of my Scroll coming back from Congress.

Have any people that got the Air Force scholarship already commissioned?

Also, if you're finishing undergrad you cannot commission until your degree posts. My recruiter had me commission before I graduated and got in trouble for it and we ended up having to do it again...

For the second February NAVY board, when can we expect results? I know the date when AADSAS tells schools if candidates are holding multiple acceptances is March 5, where the school's will then give you a two week deadline to affirm your position. I'm personally in the situation where I want to go to my dream school, while at the same time not becoming financially crippled. So I'm currently holding 2 acceptances, waiting to hear back from the navy before running to that dream school that costs a hefty tuition if I get selected, but now with the dates coming so close...

My recruiter shared this helpful link with me, it has a lot of information on the scholarship and reimbursements for all branches
EMRA

I wonder if anyone has commissioned yet also. Correct me if I am wrong, but the timeline seems unlikely anyone has commissioned yet, but possibly very soon. I was told, once awarded the scholarship and scroll approval by Congress, an appointment for commission (Commissioning ceremony) will be scheduled. I received a call that my scroll was approved last week and waiting for the recruiter to receive them so I can schedule commission.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if anyone has commissioned yet also. Correct me if I am wrong, but the timeline seems unlikely anyone has commissioned yet, but possibly very soon. I was told, once awarded the scholarship and scroll approval by Congress, an appointment for commission (Commissioning ceremony) will be scheduled. I received a call that my scroll was approved last week and waiting for the recruiter to receive them so I can schedule commission.
My recruiter for the AF told me that I would be able to commission as early as the beginning of March, as long as I have all the paperwork filled out, which I am waiting for him to send over to me.

Also, does anyone have a clue of what to expect for the commissioning process? My recruiter told me just to let him know who I want to commission me and at what location, which seems super informal to me, but I'm not sure if this is the norm. I expected something like the rest of the enlistees do after being approved from MEPS but it seems like this is different.

My recruiter for the AF told me that I would be able to commission as early as the beginning of March, as long as I have all the paperwork filled out, which I am waiting for him to send over to me.

Also, does anyone have a clue of what to expect for the commissioning process? My recruiter told me just to let him know who I want to commission me and at what location, which seems super informal to me, but I'm not sure if this is the norm. I expected something like the rest of the enlistees do after being approved from MEPS but it seems like this is different.
Something I found that may help. How to Plan a Meaningful HPSP Commissioning Ceremony

For the second February NAVY board, when can we expect results? I know the date when AADSAS tells schools if candidates are holding multiple acceptances is March 5, where the school's will then give you a two week deadline to affirm your position. I'm personally in the situation where I want to go to my dream school, while at the same time not becoming financially crippled. So I'm currently holding 2 acceptances, waiting to hear back from the navy before running to that dream school that costs a hefty tuition if I get selected, but now with the dates coming so close...
Try reaching out to your recruiter to confirm but my recruiter said it will probably be late March to early April before we find out if we’re selected. Let’s just trust the process.

The commissioning process can be as informal or as formal as you want it. You can invite family members, dress nice, etc. Or, you can walk in wearing a T-shirt (that's what I did). I was in school and had just taken an exam when my recruiter told me my scroll was approved. My case is unique because I got the scholarship after school had already started. My recruiter said the sooner I commission, the sooner I start getting paid. I also did not care if it was a formal ceremony or not, and had no family in town, and was really eager to join so I walked into the office, did the OPAT (Army only), swore the oath (took only a minute), and then signed the paperwork (this took a lot longer). All of it was done in one day, no preparation needed

To add onto my previous comment, yeah you can choose who to commission you IF they are/were an officer in the military. And you can choose the location as well, or you can just go to the recruitment office. One of my classmates had our dean (former Army Colonel) commission him right in class

I'm on the second board and my recruiter said to expect results in 3 weeks

Hey everyone! Just wanted to see if there were any 4 year Air Force HPSP recipients out there. We started a groupme. If your interested pm me.

Congrats to all accepted! I messaged my recruiter earlier today asking whether the results have been released for the 4-year army and they replied "Hi [Invisibility], we are pending the hard release (the official release). Once we get that I'll give you a definite answer. I'm sorry I can't give a solid answer".

This seems a bit strange as some people have been notified even if they have been placed on OML. Not sure if I have been rejected but I felt my stats were competitive and that my application overall was strong. I also had an acceptance letter sent with my app. Does anyone have an idea when the "official release" may be announced?

I also had an acceptance letter with my app. My recruiter told me I got in, but it's unofficial. Something about waiting for Congress to sign the documents with our names on it or something. I had to send my recruiter a form from my school registrar, and so did another Navy recipient I know.

I've been bugging my recruiter about the official release and swear in date, and he can't give me a straight answer either. The other applicants I know have already been notified if they're in or on OML, but it is still unofficial. So I can see that your recruiter probably knows of your status but wants to wait on the official documents before telling you.

Just received the official selection letter from the Navy for the 4 year HPSP, so now I can finally commission! I’m surprised by how fast I got it, I thought it would take a couple of months. Anyone else get theirs?

yeap, here. Just need to wait I guess. I m sure its not just us. Prob everyone

Any Army recipients still waiting for the scroll?
I know the wait is killer (been there, done that), but my best advice is to not hold your breath. You already got the scholarship (Congratulations!) The scroll is just a formality, and can be done any time from the next week or in the next few months. Congress is Congress, and they will get it done when they get it done. If you're truly antsy, then you can check with your recruiter every few weeks or so

Anyone know if we're finding out the second board results this week or we waiting some more?

Anyone know if we're finding out the second board results this week or we waiting some more?

When I asked my recruiter in early February, he told me that the results would come out in early April. I saw someone in this thread said that the results would come out last week, but they haven't come.

When I asked my recruiter in early February, he told me that the results would come out in early April. I saw someone in this thread said that the results would come out last week, but they haven't come.
Same! My recruiter said the same thing (early to mid-April), and to stay off these forums because there can be misinformation. Maybe he has a point. But all this waiting and the added quarantine...it's all so crazy.

Yes, I was told the second batch would be hearing back last week. They might've planned to release results then but postponed due to the current situation. I was just letting you guys know what I've been told -- not trying to spread any misinformation!

Has anyone officially gotten their Army scroll approved? I'm curious because I'm guessing that correlates with when people might start to be selected off the OML.

Bruh I still haven't heard from my recruiter, but all second board results officially out now?

Just got word from my recruiter- put on the alternate list, sigh. I'm thankful but it's just more time where you still dont know

Has anyone else from the 2nd round not heard back yet?

Has anyone else from the 2nd round not heard back yet?

Based on what my recruiter has told me the list from the 2nd board came out this week... but from what I understand, (and this could be very wrong, so someone PLEASE verify)... for the Navy HPSP, everyone from the 2nd board is put onto the alternate list. Those who were placed on the alternate list from the first board, are “ranked” higher than those from 2nd board.

(Seriously, can anyone confirm this info? My recruiter has been very difficult to get a hold of).

Has anyone officially gotten their Army scroll approved? I'm curious because I'm guessing that correlates with when people might start to be selected off the OML.
My scroll was approved back in February. I am now awaiting my appointment to commission.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but is it true that there are going to be no more 4-year scholarships from any of the branches next year? Or is that just a rumor?

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but is it true that there are going to be no more 4-year scholarships from any of the branches next year? Or is that just a rumor?
if not next year, im sure hpsp will be taken away for dental if dental school tuition keeps rising

if not next year, im sure hpsp will be taken away for dental if dental school tuition keeps rising

I saw a thread stating that the Navy was reducing scholarships... I hope that they leave at least some for us to compete for, I've always wanted to serve my country but taking on even one year of private school debt would be a significant financial challenge with current military pay :/

I saw a thread stating that the Navy was reducing scholarships... I hope that they leave at least some for us to compete for, I've always wanted to serve my country but taking on even one year of private school debt would be a significant financial challenge with current military pay :/
come on u dont wanna serve, you just want them to pay for it jk lol

Does anyone know whether the 4-year or 3-year scholarship is more competitive?

Does anyone know whether the 4-year or 3-year scholarship is more competitive?
Depends on what branch you are looking at. For AF, 4 is more competitive. There were only 7 4-years this year, with a few more 3. With Army there are far more 4 years than 3, so 3 tends to be more competitive. Not sure about Navy.

If you truly want to serve and you don't get the scholarship, you can always join after becoming a dentist, just saying

Just commissioned in the Navy this morning- it's finally official!

Reactions: 3 users
If you truly want to serve and you don't get the scholarship, you can always join after becoming a dentist, just saying
He/she is saying that the salary that the military pays when joining after graduating an expensive dental school will make it difficult to pay off his/her loans.