You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013
Started by JamesLMT
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Im gonna say they are pretty booked for interviewing spots. They end interviewing late feb/cpl days into march and thats it and I want to say the only interviews open a few weeks ago were for the last two days of the cycle. But keep your hopes high maybe you will get one!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. Does anybody know whether DMU is still interviewing applicants for 2013? I am extremely late in the application cycle, and just submitted my secondary on February 1st. Thanks!
Honestly, I think you applied a little too late. If I were you, I would prepare for the next application cycle.
Hi everyone,
I am trying to decide between DMU and another school. Can anyone share anything that made them choose DMU over other schools? Or even why you DIDN'T choose DMU? It'll really help me prioritize different pros and cons and make sure I didn't miss anything. Thank you so much!
I am trying to decide between DMU and another school. Can anyone share anything that made them choose DMU over other schools? Or even why you DIDN'T choose DMU? It'll really help me prioritize different pros and cons and make sure I didn't miss anything. Thank you so much!
Facilities and rotations. Curriculum layout, eg, anatomy change. Nice school, nice people. Plenty of job opportunities for wife. My alternative was very appealing to me too, but DMU won.
I know somebody just answered this question but I didn't find the answer that satisfying, so I'll ask again haha. I just paid my seat deposit and was wondering if anybody knows how long it takes for DMU to mail your pulse info once you pay the deposit? Excited to join everyone this August!
Hello People,
Sorry I am not sure if this is the right place to ask.. But does anyone of you know where I can find DMU's rotation site in California?
Thanks
There is no California rotation site. You could set up electives there though.
I know somebody just answered this question but I didn't find the answer that satisfying, so I'll ask again haha. I just paid my seat deposit and was wondering if anybody knows how long it takes for DMU to mail your pulse info once you pay the deposit? Excited to join everyone this August!
Mine was about 2 weeks out.
Primary: 10/25
Secondary: 11/7
Interview: 2/14
Accepted: 2/20(!!)
Congrats to anybody else who gets the good news today!
Secondary: 11/7
Interview: 2/14
Accepted: 2/20(!!)
Congrats to anybody else who gets the good news today!
Congrats to those who were accepted today! To those on the WL, don't give up just yet! (and good luck!)
Awe I'm on the alternate list. That's a real bummer...
That's better than a rejection. Keep your head up. You're not outta the game yet.
That's better than a rejection. Keep your head up. You're not outta the game yet.
Getting wait listed just sucks. It is better than a rejection but now I don't know if I should do this whole waiting game or just take my lmu acceptance and run with it. Decisions decisions.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...and for those of you going to interview, my interview consisted solely of the "3 D's" as the interviewer put it: Why Doctor, Why DO, and Why DMU? We basically had a 35min conversation about this and then 5 min for me to ask questions.
Accepted and attending
3.5/36/OOS/February interview
3.5/36/OOS/February interview
Accepted and attending
3.5/36/OOS/February interview
Congrats and sick MCAT! How'd you prep?
Congrats and sick MCAT! How'd you prep?
I used the 5-book? Examkrackers pack.
I thought this was a great question that was posted in the class thread (by Lysilegluleu), but no one had answered it yet, so I thought I'd post it here to see if we could get a response:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there are any third or fourth years lurking here, what year 3 rotation sites tended to be most favorable among you and your classmates?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there are any third or fourth years lurking here, what year 3 rotation sites tended to be most favorable among you and your classmates?
I haven't been able to find the answer to this: in our 4th year, are there any limits to the number of away electives/rotations we are allowed to do, or any restrictions on # of rotations within a particular specialty?
Oh snap got a bumper sticker from DMU. Well that settles it haha
I haven't been able to find the answer to this: in our 4th year, are there any limits to the number of away electives/rotations we are allowed to do, or any restrictions on # of rotations within a particular specialty?
In 4th year, you can basically do anything you want, other than 8 weeks of required FM (can also be 4 wks FM and 4 wks rural, community, or international).
It's really wide open in 4th year. 3rd yr is more structured with only 4 wks of electives possible ( or you can use this time for vacation). You get 8 wks vacation total to use during 3rd & 4th yr.
In 4th year, you can basically do anything you want, other than 8 weeks of required FM (can also be 4 wks FM and 4 wks rural, community, or international).
It's really wide open in 4th year. 3rd yr is more structured with only 4 wks of electives possible ( or you can use this time for vacation). You get 8 wks vacation total to use during 3rd & 4th yr.
Is there a didactic portion to 4th year at DMU?
anyone know how to withdraw from DMU? do I just send in an email?
I thought this was a great question that was posted in the class thread (by Lysilegluleu), but no one had answered it yet, so I thought I'd post it here to see if we could get a response:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there are any third or fourth years lurking here, what year 3 rotation sites tended to be most favorable among you and your classmates?
When I asked the current students during interview day this question, the response was that each year is different.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a didactic portion to 4th year at DMU?
Not that I know of.
I started a thread regarding learning materials for MS1.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=987300
Can any upperclassmen attest to this, or discuss what you used ( with emphasis on DMU in particular), if it varies significantly from what these guys posted?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=987300
Can any upperclassmen attest to this, or discuss what you used ( with emphasis on DMU in particular), if it varies significantly from what these guys posted?
Congrats to those accepted and coming to DMU in the Fall. I am a first year now, who occasionally checks on here. To those of you waited listed, keep your head up. We had a handful of movement last year. I can try to answer any questions you all have when I am able to check on here. 🙂
Congrats to those accepted and coming to DMU in the Fall. I am a first year now, who occasionally checks on here. To those of you waited listed, keep your head up. We had a handful of movement last year. I can try to answer any questions you all have when I am able to check on here. 🙂
Thank you for making yourself available. All of my neurotic questions have been answered so far, but I'll remember ya should anything else come up.
Thanks again.
👍👍
D
deleted236787
Physcial exam froms have become avaiable on Pulse.
So, where would one get his immunizations (CVS is obnoxiously expensive) and more importantly titers?
Your family doctor should be able to do all of that for you. If you move to Des Moines before the deadline for the paperwork to be turned in, you can make an appointment and get it done at the DMU clinic.
I will be moving to Des Moines for Medical School this fall and have been looking at different apartments. We think Windsor Terrace would be a nice place to live but since we are currently living in Utah and don't know anyone in Des Moines we have only been able to look at pictures of the apartment complex which are not very helpful. Is there anyone out there who lives in Windsor Terrace apartments or who has been in them that could tell me what they thought? Are they in good condition or falling apart? My wife and I would like to feel comfortable in our home for the next two years. If you have any other apartment recommendations that would be much appreciated as well.
Thanks
Thanks
I will be moving to Des Moines for Medical School this fall and have been looking at different apartments. We think Windsor Terrace would be a nice place to live but since we are currently living in Utah and don't know anyone in Des Moines we have only been able to look at pictures of the apartment complex which are not very helpful. Is there anyone out there who lives in Windsor Terrace apartments or who has been in them that could tell me what they thought? Are they in good condition or falling apart? My wife and I would like to feel comfortable in our home for the next two years. If you have any other apartment recommendations that would be much appreciated as well.
Thanks
Hey you might get a better response on the facebook group. There is a good dialogue about housing there.
D
deleted236787
I will be moving to Des Moines for Medical School this fall and have been looking at different apartments. We think Windsor Terrace would be a nice place to live but since we are currently living in Utah and don't know anyone in Des Moines we have only been able to look at pictures of the apartment complex which are not very helpful. Is there anyone out there who lives in Windsor Terrace apartments or who has been in them that could tell me what they thought? Are they in good condition or falling apart? My wife and I would like to feel comfortable in our home for the next two years. If you have any other apartment recommendations that would be much appreciated as well.
Thanks
I can give you the low down on Windsor Terrace. I don't have time right now, but if you send me a PM to remind me I'll do it tonight when I get home.
Hey everyone. I just wanted to say hi. I was accepted back in December but I know for sure now that DMU is where I will be this fall. I wanted to say hello to my future classmates and just share my excitement! Still need to begin looking for housing and my fiancé soon to be wife this summer will be looking for a job. She is a dental hygienist if anyone knows of any dental offices in the Des Moines area that may be hiring or a good place to look into. Thanks and see you guys soon!
Can anyone tell me what my chances are at DMU?
Illinois resident
3.7 cGPA, 3.5-3.6 sGPA
25 MCAT (9PS 7VR 9BS)
Lots of volunteering, EMT, shadowing, tennis coach, some clubs, research, DO letter
applying early this coming cycle
Your stats are not bad. MCAT is somewhat low, but not awful, so don't dwell on stats. Be confident that you are solid enough to succeed and show that confidence during interviews. Focus on letting them get to know you, the person. If they like you, those stats won't hold you back. I got in with way worse grades but a better MCAT. If there are red flags, just be ready to clear those up during interviews. You can pull this off.
Can anyone tell me what my chances are at DMU?
Illinois resident
3.7 cGPA, 3.5-3.6 sGPA
25 MCAT (9PS 7VR 9BS)
Lots of volunteering, EMT, shadowing, tennis coach, some clubs, research, DO letter
applying early this coming cycle
Applying early will definitely help you this coming cycle. Good luck!
Congrats to all of you accepted this year!!
As a spouse of a 1st year DO, I know that this next year is full of questions for you and also your significant other. While there are many outlets for students, please don't forget your significant other! There is a wonderful club at DMU just for us significant others to get to know each other, ask questions and give support during this journey.
Please PM me with any questions and I and some other wives would be more than happy to connect with your "others" to answer their questions!
If any of you on the facebook page would be willing to share this with the group I'd appreciate it too!
As a spouse of a 1st year DO, I know that this next year is full of questions for you and also your significant other. While there are many outlets for students, please don't forget your significant other! There is a wonderful club at DMU just for us significant others to get to know each other, ask questions and give support during this journey.
Please PM me with any questions and I and some other wives would be more than happy to connect with your "others" to answer their questions!
If any of you on the facebook page would be willing to share this with the group I'd appreciate it too!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to all of you accepted this year!!
As a spouse of a 1st year DO, I know that this next year is full of questions for you and also your significant other. While there are many outlets for students, please don't forget your significant other! There is a wonderful club at DMU just for us significant others to get to know each other, ask questions and give support during this journey.
Please PM me with any questions and I and some other wives would be more than happy to connect with your "others" to answer their questions!
If any of you on the facebook page would be willing to share this with the group I'd appreciate it too!
Thanks for offering to help! My fiancé and I will be getting married this summer about a mont before I start at DMU and I am sure she would be interested in getting involved with the club you mentioned. One of our concerns is that it may be harder on her than me since we are both moving far from our friends and families but where I will have classes to keep me busy and meet people she will simply be working.
Is there a facebook page for the incoming class?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 177
- Views
- 61K
- Replies
- 601
- Views
- 159K
- Replies
- 855
- Views
- 185K
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 232K
