2022-2023 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! Very excited to be matriculating at DMU soon. I’m happy to answer any questions regarding the application/interview process for you all. Best of luck this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Very excited to be matriculating at DMU soon. I’m happy to answer any questions regarding the application/interview process for you all. Best of luck this cycle!
Congrats on the acceptance. I am in the process of applying to DMU and saw that they do not have a secondary app. They just have 2 questions to answer on AACOMAS. Do you know if this means they will be interviewing more/less people or is it just so that they combine both applications into one? Also, do you know how many people applied and how many got interviewed during your cycle?

Congrats on the acceptance. I am in the process of applying to DMU and saw that they do not have a secondary app. They just have 2 questions to answer on AACOMAS. Do you know if this means they will be interviewing more/less people or is it just so that they combine both applications into one? Also, do you know how many people applied and how many got interviewed during your cycle?
I don't have any stats to share with you, so sorry in advance. There is no secondary. The supplemental questions embedded in the primary app function the same, however. Do take your time with those and craft a thoughtful response as you would any other secondary. Submitted early will greatly increase your odds of interview/A. A lot of people wait until later in the cycle to apply DO, so their applicant pile might be a little thin to start the new cycle. If they are doing virtual interviews, it's a two part process where you complete an asynchronous portion (the main interview) and then must complete a 1 hour Q&A in order for your file to be marked complete and sent to the admissions committee for review. Those slots were weekly last year and filled up quick. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
+1. I don't see a payment option or anything of that sort. Is there no action necessary until they send an interview invite?
No payment as there is no secondary. Just the supplemental questions on the primary app.

Received notification to complete portal account at 1:56 PDT

Under supplemental items --> submission status: it says "not received" and it says there are no recommendations associated with my account (LORs) I guess my application is just taking time to populate in their system? I can't find anywhere to like SUBMIT anything, even though my application says "action needed" I'm confused:cryi:

Under supplemental items --> submission status: it says "not received" and it says there are no recommendations associated with my account (LORs) I guess my application is just taking time to populate in their system? I can't find anywhere to like SUBMIT anything, even though my application says "action needed" I'm confused:cryi:
It will show completed eventually! Takes time to process. I was completed yesterday

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my app marked complete. I was looking at the gpa breakdown on their website. They have something called "local GPA" Does anyone know what that means? edit. It looks like its my last couple 60 units for overall gpa and my last 120 units for my science gpa. I wonder why not both are the same number.

Last edited:
I just got my app marked complete. I was looking at the gpa breakdown on their website. They have something called "local GPA" Does anyone know what that means?
It’s like the last 60 credits or something very close.

What is the "DMU initial review of application items"? It just says not received but everything else is all good.

@wpw2021 it took them a day for the thing to change to received, you dont have to do anything unless you haven't uploaded everything yet to aacomas

Last edited:
Are you all doing AAMC PREview?

• Okay...
Are you all doing AAMC PREview?
I absolutely cannot fathom why we are being asked to do... yet. another. freaking. test. like??? CASper isn't good enough? My primary isn't enough. My committee letter isn't enough. My secondary essays aren't enough. My MCAT and GPA aren't enough. Let's add MORE TESTS!

I'm not doing it. No.

Reactions: 3 users
I signed up for it for next month. Out of all the schools that I am applying to including MD, DMU is the only one asking for it.
When you say asking for it, is that a requirement for admission? Or are they just using it to gather data?

When you say asking for it, is that a requirement for admission? Or are they just using it to gather data?
Its not mandatory, but in their words they are "Strongly encouraging" applicants to do it. For what its worth I looked at last years thread and there was people that got in without taking it. It was also free last year apparently. This year is going to cost you 100 dollars.
Heres the link to DMU's website.
how-to-apply

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a secondary fee we have to pay in the portal? I'm not seeing any kind of payment page.

so they will email us if/when they want us to complete a secondary??
edit: I received an email today stating to create an account on their portal website

so they will email us if/when they want us to complete a secondary??
edit: I received an email today stating to create an account on their portal website
That’s all you do. There is no secondary.

How long does it take to set up the account once you get the email to see your status marked "complete"? All my items are completed through AACOMAS.

How long does it take to set up the account once you get the email to see your status marked "complete"? All my items are completed through AACOMAS.
It should be quick. Do they have your scores and letters already?

Second-year student here to help answer questions as well!
Hey I'd love to hear your thoughts on the curriculum and school faculty. And if you can provide any insight on living in Des Moines and your fellow student body, it would be much appreciated! Lastly, do they make research highly accessible to students?

My submission status says: Not received

But when I click over to the left at "review" I see my whole application saved and submitted. Anyone else?

My submission status says: Not received

But when I click over to the left at "review" I see my whole application saved and submitted. Anyone else?

Mine says completed but it took about 2weeks after I had gotten the initial email to activate the account.

Its not mandatory, but in their words they are "Strongly encouraging" applicants to do it. For what its worth I looked at last years thread and there was people that got in without taking it. It was also free last year apparently. This year is going to cost you 100 dollars.
Heres the link to DMU's website.
how-to-apply
I just completed the AAMC preview exam. I honestly thought it was a lot better than the CASPER whose questions were irrelevant to medicine.

I just completed the AAMC preview exam. I honestly thought it was a lot better than the CASPER whose questions were irrelevant to medicine.
Literally thought the same thing last year. I ended up getting a 1 (lowest score) and will be matriculating in a few weeks. Don’t worry about it!

Anyone else not planning on doing preview? This is only one of 2 schools that recommend it and I don’t know if I want to shell out another $100 lol.

Anyone else not planning on doing preview? This is only one of 2 schools that recommend it and I don’t know if I want to shell out another $100 lol.
I'm not doing it.

How long did it take for you guys to hear back after your primary was verified?

Is AAMC PREview new this cycle? If so, I wouldn't pay money to another cash-grap supplement. I don't know if SJT, Casper, or even PREview is THE deciding factor to an acceptance or not. Just know you still got your whole CV going on (mcat, GPA, experience, etc.) I did take Casper last year (got the lowest percentile), didn't take SJT (which was new last year), but I ended up getting in. Good luck!

I just activated my account today, and it says "action required." Do I have to do anything if all my materials have been submitted to AACOMAS?