Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

Started by DOthreads
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long are your secondary essays? One of mine is 330 words and I am concerned that is too short.
I think that length is just fine. What is important is that you are thorough getting your message across but at the same time not being wordy. Congrats if you are able to get your secondary turned in so early. I am currently working on mine as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to you as well 🙂 I assume all med school interviews require formal business attire, with the goal being to look professional (i.e. not trendy, fashionable, sexy, what have you).
Agreed. Just not sure if a business dress is more appropriate than black pants/nice shirt. Just want to dress the part, ya know! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to everyone with invites! I can't wait to see you guys on campus 🙂

Here are some pics to get you guys excited about interviews
DMU_Exterior.jpg

com.jpg

DMU450-275.jpg
That is honestly so beautiful! Plus I love the school color purple.
 
Is DMU your first choice?
DMU is one of my top choices along with Nova since I am a Floridian resident. I know that DMU is one of the oldest and has a great reputation while Nova is simply beautiful and close to home. It will be tough choosing between the two if I get acceptances to both. Wbu?
 
I've been staring at this secondary for 3 days…. and only for the "is there anything additional not in your primary" question. I spent a long time with my primary and PS making sure I included absolutely everything I could. I'm struggling to come up with anything that isn't just 'fluff', but I feel uneasy leaving it blank. Any suggestions?
 
I've been staring at this secondary for 3 days…. and only for the "is there anything additional not in your primary" question. I spent a long time with my primary and PS making sure I included absolutely everything I could. I'm struggling to come up with anything that isn't just 'fluff', but I feel uneasy leaving it blank. Any suggestions?
+1
 
Congrats to everyone with the early II's! I received my 'application complete' email on July 3rd with no word back yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Those II sure motivated me to start on that secondary, I will try and submit this tonight! I just hate writing uGH!!!
 
I've been staring at this secondary for 3 days…. and only for the "is there anything additional not in your primary" question. I spent a long time with my primary and PS making sure I included absolutely everything I could. I'm struggling to come up with anything that isn't just 'fluff', but I feel uneasy leaving it blank. Any suggestions?

I left it blank and was offered an II, if that makes you feel any better. I don't think it's necessary to add stuff just for the sake of it, unless you started a new job or volunteer experience since your primary was submitted.
 
I left it blank and was offered an II, if that makes you feel any better. I don't think it's necessary to add stuff just for the sake of it, unless you started a new job or volunteer experience since your primary was submitted.
I am definitely leaving it blank. I think I put everything I possibly could in my PS + Activities page.
 
hi! got my secondary today. When it asks for LOR contact information, do I put my committee letter, or each letter writer? I have 6 and there's only 3 spots. Is it that we are only allowed to list 3?

Congrats to everyone that got II's, hope to be in your shoes soon!!
 
hi! got my secondary today. When it asks for LOR contact information, do I put my committee letter, or each letter writer? I have 6 and there's only 3 spots. Is it that we are only allowed to list 3?

Congrats to everyone that got II's, hope to be in your shoes soon!!
If your committee operates like mine, then you may have asked one committee member to write the letter. That person then sends it out to the others to make minor additions. With that, I listed the main person that drafted the original letter.
 
If your committee operates like mine, then you may have asked one committee member to write the letter. That person then sends it out to the others to make minor additions. With that, I listed the main person that drafted the original letter.
Hm okay so for my school, we have one letter writer for the committee letter but it's put in a packet with a bunch of other people like my science professor, doctor letter writer, etc. Did you just not put those people and just the committee letter writer? Thanks!
 
FOR the 1st question, I have not shadowed a primary care DO or any in a rural setting. Just someone who specialized. So for the osteopathic exposure question, shud I leave it at the DO i worked with or talk about shadowing experience with MD in primary care? Thanks!

This was the question:
Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the US. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University? (500 word limit)
 
FOR the 1st question, I have not shadowed a primary care DO or any in a rural setting. Just someone who specialized. So for the osteopathic exposure question, shud I leave it at the DO i worked with or talk about shadowing experience with MD in primary care? Thanks!

This was the question:
Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the US. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University? (500 word limit)
I'd spend the prompt talking about your DO experience. Maybe mention the MD primary care and tie in how you see osteopathic principles being useful in such a setting. I think they are looking specifically at your experience with osteopathic physicians.
 
Hi, does anyone know that if we are submitting individual LORs, can we submit more than the required 1 doctor and 2 science letters? Thanks.
 
I'd spend the prompt talking about your DO experience. Maybe mention the MD primary care and tie in how you see osteopathic principles being useful in such a setting. I think they are looking specifically at your experience with osteopathic physicians.
Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an II today! I scheduled my interview for 9/4. My secondary was submitted on 7/8, and my stats are as follows: 33 MCAT, 3.75 GPA.
 
Just got a ii today as well! Im so excited as it is my first one. My stats are 37, 3.9s, 3.7ns. Ill probably be scheduling for late sept/early oct. I have a few questions for current students. How are the research opportunities? Also is medical oncology a well represented specialty for electives? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Got two II's today. One of them is from DMU! 3.95 sgpa/cpga, 26 MCAT. Strong ECs and personal statement.