Froot4Lyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. So I'm posting this thread because I am entering the 9th grade in September. I've dreamed of becoming a diagnostic radiologist. I've fallen in love with this field because I love the idea of learning new things as I progress through life by continuing reading because I know that radiologists have to further their knowledge while working. I am very enthusiastic about technology and reading x-rays, mammograms, etc. I've even began watching videos online on how to read different types of x-rays. My question is, are there certain classes in high school and/or college that should be taken to prepare yourself for diagnostic radiology if I were to be accepted into a medical school? Also, does anyone have any tips on how to focus during school to proceed into trying to get into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Radiology resident here. Put your interests on the back burner and just keep jumping through hoops to make it through college and into medical school. Once in medical school, getting good grades, high board scores and research will help you secure a radiology residency.

As for now, taking physics, engineering, or computer classes would be most useful but still of minimum overall use in your career.

Reactions: 1 users
Baby steps bro. If you start thinking that far ahead you are gonna miss out on a lot in between.

When I was your age I was worrying about how to improve my K/D ratio in Call of Duty...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Baby steps bro. If you start thinking that far ahead you are gonna miss out on a lot in between.

When I was your age I was worrying about how to improve my K/D ratio in Call of Duty...

Oh, trust me. I make sure to manage my school life and personal life carefully. I learned the hard way before that focusing a bit too much on school can turn you anti-social for a period of time.

Radiology resident here. Put your interests on the back burner and just keep jumping through hoops to make it through college and into medical school. Once in medical school, getting good grades, high board scores and research will help you secure a radiology residency.

As for now, taking physics, engineering, or computer classes would be most useful but still of minimum overall use in your career.

Thank you for the tip :)

For now just focus on your high school career! Everything builds on itself. High school ends up not mattering too much later on, so take the time now to find study habits that really work for you and you can take with you into university.

Keep in mind that you have ~8 years before you even begin med school, so don't go too crazy.

Reactions: 1 user
For now just focus on your high school career! Everything builds on itself. High school ends up not mattering too much later on, so take the time now to find study habits that really work for you and you can take with you into university.

Keep in mind that you have ~8 years before you even begin med school, so don't go too crazy.

Ok, thanks for your tip :)

I'm sure you're a great student. HS is an interesting time that offers lots of opportunity to get involved in many interests. Keep your grades up and have fun! I set my mind on medicine when I was in 9th grade and I've kept my eye on it to this day. That doesn't mean I didn't do anything else, but it does mean that I did my research, planned very carefully and met all my short term and long term goals. You'll get into a good college, most likely, but until then, you do you. You've got a huge amount of time to build interest in this and many other careers. Like the good doctor above suggested, look into a broad variety of science courses.

SDN is a great resource. Wouldn't be a medical student without it. Use it as a tool to help you plan and know what to expect.

Oh, trust me. I make sure to manage my school life and personal life carefully. I learned the hard way before that focusing a bit too much on school can turn you anti-social for a period of time.
Psychology teaching moment! What do you think "anti-social" means?

I'm sure you're a great student. HS is an interesting time that offers lots of opportunity to get involved in many interests. Keep your grades up and have fun! I set my mind on medicine when I was in 9th grade and I've kept my eye on it to this day. That doesn't mean I didn't do anything else, but it does mean that I did my research, planned very carefully and met all my short term and long term goals. You'll get into a good college, most likely, but until then, you do you. You've got a huge amount of time to build interest in this and many other careers. Like the good doctor above suggested, look into a broad variety of science courses.

SDN is a great resource. Wouldn't be a medical student without it. Use it as a tool to help you plan and know what to expect.

Psychology teaching moment! What do you think "anti-social" means?

Thanks for your reply! When I said I became anti-social, I meant that in 7th grade I was focusing a little too much with getting perfect grades (I mainly got B's and some A's along with one C, so I was a little disappointed.). I wasn't even noticing that I was barely talking/hanging out my friends or with my peers in general (even though most of my peers annoy me).

Thanks for your reply! When I said I became anti-social, I meant that in 7th grade I was focusing a little too much with getting perfect grades (I mainly got B's and some A's along with one C, so I was a little disappointed.). I wasn't even noticing that I was barely talking/hanging out my friends or with my peers in general (even though most of my peers annoy me).
A healthy life is balanced ^_^

Psychologically speaking, anti-social behavior is that which acts without regard to social and civil rules, often times expressing narcissism, promiscuity, high-risk behavior, lack of concern or others and for consequences. Psychopaths exhibit strong anti-social behavioral traits.

You were actually being asocial. A far less serious problem to have haha!

A healthy life is balanced ^_^

Psychologically speaking, anti-social behavior is that which acts without regard to social and civil rules, often times expressing narcissism, promiscuity, high-risk behavior, lack of concern or others and for consequences. Psychopaths exhibit strong anti-social behavioral traits.

You were actually being asocial. A far less serious problem to have haha!

Oh, that's actually good to know! :)

HS senior here

Focus on not screwing up your freshman year first. As far as classes, I'd recommend you look into keeping your math curriculum strong as possible since it not only teaches you how to think critically but assists in learning physics later which you need for pre-med regardless and more so for radiology in the future if you go in that direction. Additionally I'd recommend computer science courses if your school offers it as you say you are interested in technology.

Right now, I wouldn't get too hardcore into learning for the MCAT and beyond; not saying it's wrong to watch videos every now and then to appease your curiosity, just don't waste time deviating from what really matters like SAT/ACT and your GPA.

Develop a solid work ethic and dedication to your studies and a few relative outside hobbies as well. Learn to utilize time wisely as you'll find yourself having less and less of it with the years.

As others have said you are focusing too far ahead. It is good to have a long term goal, but make sure you meet the short term goals required to meet the long term one. Specifically meaning focus on doing good in your high school studies and SAT/ACT. So focus on the short term stuff for now with your long therm goal in the background. Also keep an open mind because aspirations can change.

That would literally take 17 years from now to accomplish.
I can say with 85% certainty that your interests will change over that time. Maybe not to become a physician, but your specific specialty. Many medical students' interests change during their 4 years of school, but you also have undergrad, and even high school in between.
Focus on growing into the person you want to be. Study hard, make good decisions, have fun, and take care of yourself.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'll be sure to use the tip of focusing on high school for now and keeping my grades up as well as focusing on how to get good grades on the ACT/SAT. I'll be sure to have fun as well :)

I'll also look into getting into the classes that some of you recommended.