Dilemma for pre-commissioned, pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smudge2014

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've been stalking through SDN for a couple years now, but this is the first time I've posted.

I'm currently a Cadet at a service academy (Kinesiology major), junior, currently in the final roster for the pre-medical program here. Basically the program is that you complete at least the required 4 courses (orgo I, II, human phys, and Biology), score at least a 509 on your MCAT and maintain at least a 3.4 GPA to remain competative for the HPSP scholarship.

Dilemma: I know I want to become a physician, but jumping right into medical school right now (and betting 12 years of my life that I will love being an Army physician) is giving me cold feet.
I've loved my shadowing experience and have provided emergency medical support as part of a club (with certification, of course).
Nothing seems to steer me away from going to medical school right now other than the aforementioned service obligation and the fact that I can't stand/(possibly?) can't hack it with Orgo II.
this week, I have to make a decision about whether or not I should drop Orgo II, drop the pre-med program, bring up my GPA, and take community college classes or do a year post-bac after my 5 years of service obligation and apply then. I feel that not having taken biochemistry before the MCAT will put me at a huge dissadvantage, and that remaining in Orgo II will prevent me from raising my GPA before branching statistics are finalized.

My stats:
cGPA: 3.52
sGPA (if engineering classes are included): 3.55

required pre-med classes:

biology- A-
Orgo I- B+
Physiology- (currently enrolled, not doing so hot at a B)
Orgo II- (currently enrolled, also not doing so hot at a B-)

I feel like my stats aren't too bad, with the exception of the two pre-recs below a B+.

Another major problem is that I'm not enrolled in Biochemistry and, due to the nature of our curriculum, could not add it to my schedule before graduation even if I felt like I could do well in it (which I don't). Not having taken this course will reduce my MCAT score and will prevent me from applying to a number of medical schools.

The question of the hour is: Should I war game by dropping Orgo II, retaking it alongside biochemistry at a community college after graduation and take the MCAT then and apply as a non-trad? or a year post-Bac? Or should I continue what seems to be a futile mission and risk getting stuck in a branch I'm totally uninterested in (and which has few opportunities to go to medical school)?

Best,

Smudge

Members don't see this ad.

Your situation is a bit difficult but if you are not ready and sure to be an army physician, I would suggest the following:
1) Taking the MCAT without Biochem, a subject your are self-admittedly not confident in nor will you have time in a service academy to prepare, is a major risk as all MCAT scores are reported whenever you apply. Thus, if you do not get the required 509 now for HPSP, you will have that lower score still on you record if you apply again several years from now after your service committment.
2) one of my colleagues from OldPreMeds was a West Point grad, did her 5 years in army, then a post-bacc, attend med school on HPSP, and took a commission in the USAF.
3) I would suggest then dropping Organic, enhance your GPA, do your 5 years and then do some PB/MCAT. At that point you can decide a mature army vet whether or not medicine is your future

Thank you. This is the route I am most likely going to take. If I branch med service (or any branch really) and see that I would be happy with probably 20 years of service, then I'll apply in the middle of my 5 year obligation and begin medical school now.

Your situation is a bit difficult but if you are not ready and sure to be an army physician, I would suggest the following:
1) Taking the MCAT without Biochem, a subject your are self-admittedly not confident in nor will you have time in a service academy to prepare, is a major risk as all MCAT scores are reported whenever you apply. Thus, if you do not get the required 509 now for HPSP, you will have that lower score still on you record if you apply again several years from now after your service committment.
2) one of my colleagues from OldPreMeds was a West Point grad, did her 5 years in army, then a post-bacc, attend med school on HPSP, and took a commission in the USAF.
3) I would suggest then dropping Organic, enhance your GPA, do your 5 years and then do some PB/MCAT. At that point you can decide a mature army vet whether or not medicine is your future

Also, love the bio quote!