DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey can anyone comment on the clinical rotation quality through affiliated hospitals/clinics with DMU? I know yr. 3 is spent in IA and year 4 you can set up anywhere to get you close to a residency of your choice, but I am wondering about the quality of the hospital/clinic affiliations in yr. 3. Has anyone spoken with the clinical affairs office? I plan on speaking with them on Monday, but if anyone has anything to comment before next week, that would be great.

So, I guess what I am looking for is a list of hospitals/clinics where students do their clinical rotations in yr. 3. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone else interviewing on the 23rd?
also what is the optional essay you guys are talking about?
was it the "anything else you'd like us to know?" question?
I thought that was for stuff like explaining a bad string of grades, and other circumstances which affected you...

So for all of those who got accepted, do you think you will attend.....I really loved the school, so I am pretty excitedd :love: but I am still gonna visit some other schools just to make sure DMU is the place to be...how about everyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
So for all of those who got accepted, do you think you will attend.....I really loved the school, so I am pretty excitedd :love: but I am still gonna visit some other schools just to make sure DMU is the place to be...how about everyone else?

I don't have any acceptances yet, but I feel like I will continue interviewing even if I get one. It's still early in the season and I want to know what all my options are!

I think I might end up choosing DMU over Western. Even though its in Iowa.....its too hard to say no.

That being said, I have had other interviews and if accepted to a school that I like even more than DMU.....then i guess I wont be going to DMU. But of the acceptances and the schools that I have been at so far, DMU sits alone at the top (with Dartmouth a close second or maybe even tied, altho i havent got accepted there yet nor do i really plan on it).

I have an interview at the end October, and thats all thats lined up for right now. Maybe I'll get more later, but I dunno.

In conclusion, yay DMU!

I think I might end up choosing DMU over Western. Even though its in Iowa.....its too hard to say no.

I've actually been wanting to ask you about that...thanks for reading my mind! I'm excited to check them both out in the next few weeks!

How long after completion have people been getting interview invites?

So I spoke with the Associate dean of clinical affairs at DMU today. Basically, out of the students in their third year this year,
40 = Ohio rotations
8 = Wyoming
2 = Minnesota
15 = Michigan
6 = St. Louis, MO

Then 50% stay in Iowa. I didn't get a list of the clinical sites, but I am going to talk to a friend who goes there and is in 2nd year and ask if he has a list. Anyways, nothing new I guess. 4th year BTW can be done anywhere. So again, not much new. I will come out with a list shortly... hopefully.

How long after completion have people been getting interview invites?

mine was actually a little more than 30 days (perhaps they mean business days?). several people here got their invites much sooner than the 30 days i believe.

So I spoke with the Associate dean of clinical affairs at DMU today. Basically, out of the students in their third year this year,
40 = Ohio rotations
8 = Wyoming
2 = Minnesota
15 = Michigan
6 = St. Louis, MO

Then 50% stay in Iowa. I didn't get a list of the clinical sites, but I am going to talk to a friend who goes there and is in 2nd year and ask if he has a list. Anyways, nothing new I guess. 4th year BTW can be done anywhere. So again, not much new. I will come out with a list shortly... hopefully.

Thanks BK!

mine was actually a little more than 30 days (perhaps they mean business days?). several people here got their invites much sooner than the 30 days i believe.

Yea, I got my "complete" email and my "interview" email an hour apart from each other. I'm not sure how that works, but whatever.

For a little timeline, my AACOMAS was verivied on July 14th (submitted June 11th), I received a secondary from DMU on July 29th, I got a complete email/interview email on August 14th, interviewed on September 12th.

40 = Ohio rotations
8 = Wyoming
2 = Minnesota
15 = Michigan
6 = St. Louis, MO

we have 76 spots outside iowa, and class of 217~, we also might drop the wyoming one, because of negative feedback with site. We were supposed to have a meeting today about rotations but got canceled. I'll post some stuff when we get the news.

Is anyone interviewing here tomorrow? I am sitting here in my hotel room and I kind of wish I rented a car to scope out the entire place. People are so friendly! I am excited...slash nervous. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone interviewing here tomorrow? I am sitting here in my hotel room and I kind of wish I rented a car to scope out the entire place. People are so friendly! I am excited...slash nervous. :)

Yes!! I will be interviewing tomorrow as well! I am really excited. Are you staying downtown? I am from the area and could certainly recommend some good eats or something else if you get too antsy!

Awesome! I am staying on 24th street, sort of close to DMU. I have NO idea how far I am from downtown, thought I know I saw it coming to the hotel from the airport. If you could recommend good eats and such, that would be wonderful. Thanks!:)

You must be close to the Drake campus as well, which isn't too far from downtown. If you like eclectic cuisine - A Dong is a great Vietnamese restaurant (on the edge of downtown at 15th and High Street). I also like Ban Thai (downtown) and Cool Basil (in West Des Moines). Otherwise, if you like good American eats - the Drake Diner is one of my fave spots. My boyfriend (who is a pretty picky eater) thinks they have the best burgers in town (I prefer their vegetarian fare). Oh, and if you are near the drake area, the Mars Cafe is a great place for coffee - between 23rd and 24th on University.
Try to relax tonight and good luck tomorrow!! Do you have any idea how many people they interview per day?

I have kept interviewing after receiving acceptances- I am really impressed with DMU and am not sure if another school could pull me away at this point, but you never know!

I agree that it would be nice to be judged on our total accomplishments for the scholarships :rolleyes:

guess they have to start somewhere!

You must be close to the Drake campus as well, which isn't too far from downtown. If you like eclectic cuisine - A Dong is a great Vietnamese restaurant (on the edge of downtown at 15th and High Street). I also like Ban Thai (downtown) and Cool Basil (in West Des Moines). Otherwise, if you like good American eats - the Drake Diner is one of my fave spots. My boyfriend (who is a pretty picky eater) thinks they have the best burgers in town (I prefer their vegetarian fare). Oh, and if you are near the drake area, the Mars Cafe is a great place for coffee - between 23rd and 24th on University.
Try to relax tonight and good luck tomorrow!! Do you have any idea how many people they interview per day?

I am not too sure, maybe around 15? Again, not sure! Thanks for the recommendations. I am going to check out either the Drake Diner or the Mars Cafe, both seem pretty close to me and it's nice enough to walk! I'm excited to see this school that everyone on SDN regards are amazing! See you tomorrow.

So, exactly how long does it take for DMU to give you a decision after your interview? Exactly two weeks? Longer? Shorter?

So, exactly how long does it take for DMU to give you a decision after your interview? Exactly two weeks? Longer? Shorter?

mine was pretty much exatly two weeks. You can count in it give or take a few days i guess.

I would say exactly 2 weeks or longer. It's been 12 days for me and still nothing. Hopefully in the next 2 days!

I was just extended an invitation to interview!!! I'm so excited! I just spoke with a rep today and the program sounds fabulous! Just what I'm looking for! I got my notice in an e-mail saying they were letting me into the fasTrack application process, which means they are granting me an interview before any of my letters of recommendation arrived (I just sent my secondary in a bout a week ago). I was wondering if anyone has an idea how many people they extend this to? I know it's a very good thing, I'm just curious if this means that they are REALLY interested in me...

I was just extended an invitation to interview!!! I'm so excited! I just spoke with a rep today and the program sounds fabulous! Just what I'm looking for! I got my notice in an e-mail saying they were letting me into the fasTrack application process, which means they are granting me an interview before any of my letters of recommendation arrived (I just sent my secondary in a bout a week ago). I was wondering if anyone has an idea how many people they extend this to? I know it's a very good thing, I'm just curious if this means that they are REALLY interested in me...

It's nothing terribly special; lots of people get this. However, merely having an interview is a good sign. If you can prove your interpersonal skills are OK, you'll be fine.

Not gonna lie, I was really hoping they were expressing some extra interest in me. Oh well. I'm still really excited about the interview! :thumbup:

So congrats to everyone who has gotten interview invites and acceptances! I'm working on the secondary now, but I ran across a problem.

Every once and a while, I job-shadow a physician back in my home town (on school holidays etc.). So I wanted to enter this into my secondary for dmu, but I don't know what to put under "hours per week." I only have a total of 63 hours over a 3 year period. Should I just leave it blank (will the school think that's bad)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

So congrats to everyone who has gotten interview invites and acceptances! I'm working on the secondary now, but I ran across a problem.

Every once and a while, I job-shadow a physician back in my home town (on school holidays etc.). So I wanted to enter this into my secondary for dmu, but I don't know what to put under "hours per week." I only have a total of 63 hours over a 3 year period. Should I just leave it blank (will the school think that's bad)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

I really dont think the "hours per week" thing is that important. You can just guestimate and it will be fine. The weeks taht you did work, how many hours did you shadow? Thats what I'd put under the "hours per week." No one is gonna cally you out on it or check up on it. And if they do ask you about it, you just explain to them your thought process, no biggie. GL!

I am in much the same boat with my observation hours. I just put down my total hours, then wrote that I had done this in that "Anything else you would like us to know" box.

I am in much the same boat with my observation hours. I just put down my total hours, then wrote that I had done this in that "Anything else you would like us to know" box.

Thanks SB and ryserr. I wish all of the secondaries were as easy as DMU's.

DMU class of 2013....I have decided..anyone else?

DMU class of 2013....I have decided..anyone else?

I am still interviewing at some places, but I have cancelled others just because DMU impressed me so much. It will be hard for any other school to top it, so at this point I consider myself DMU c/o 2013 :D...I have already started browsing for apartments. I would like to live really close to DMU, but I like the housing in west des moines a lot. Yay c/o 2013 we should make a facebook group.

I am still interviewing at some places, but I have cancelled others just because DMU impressed me so much. It will be hard for any other school to top it, so at this point I consider myself DMU c/o 2013 :D...I have already started browsing for apartments. I would like to live really close to DMU, but I like the housing in west des moines a lot. Yay c/o 2013 we should make a facebook group.

The traffic coming out of west des moines in the morning sucks. There are a couple apts right around school which caters to the DMU kids, but in these times you could probably find a good rental house for cheap. Check out craigslist.

The traffic coming out of west des moines in the morning sucks. There are a couple apts right around school which caters to the DMU kids, but in these times you could probably find a good rental house for cheap. Check out craigslist.

what kinda traffic are we talkin about here? Cuz that seemed to be common complaint among the people, but when ever I was drivin about there really werent many cars out. I go to school in los angeles..... now THAT is traffic. I'm not talkin slowly cruising at 35 miles an hour for a few miles, im talkin dead stopped about ready to walk to work traffic. I cant imagine it ever getting anywhere near that in Des Moines, Iowa

Its nothing like that, but it is traffic for iowa standards. Buts it enough traffic to make you leave you house 15-30 minutes early

congrats!!!! woo whooooooo!

i guess now its time to startt lookin for housing??

Soon...yes...I want to get a nice place to live (which for me means a washer/dryer, dishwasher, garbage disposal, ect.), which is possible if I can get some people sign a lease with me. I was thinking of looking into some loft apartments on grand (inbetween downtown and DMU). Anyone who is interested and for sure going to DMU let me know...good luck everyone

Soon...yes...I want to get a nice place to live (which for me means a washer/dryer, dishwasher, garbage disposal, ect.), which is possible if I can get some people sign a lease with me. I was thinking of looking into some loft apartments on grand (inbetween downtown and DMU). Anyone who is interested and for sure going to DMU let me know...good luck everyone

Do they have alot of Loft apartments???

Do they have alot of Loft apartments???

Tons downtown...and they're all brand new. Tons of new housing construction downtown, but you'll pay for it (~$900 for a nice studio in East Village). Your commute would only be 10mins too.

So, it's been over two weeks since I interviewed, is it bad that I haven't heard from them?

So, it's been over two weeks since I interviewed, is it bad that I haven't heard from them?

i wouldnt read anything into it. The first interview group didn't get their results til after 2 weeks either b/c the admissions people were running behind. Its probably the same case for you. Just hold tight, youll know soon enough :) Good luck!

Tons downtown...and they're all brand new. Tons of new housing construction downtown, but you'll pay for it (~$900 for a nice studio in East Village). Your commute would only be 10mins too.

Thanks, that's really good to know as I absolutely love lofts :). I wish I was applying this cycle dangit lol.

anyone care to give their opinion on areas in and around Des Moines to avoid.....you know like shady neighborhoods and such? I come from a really safe northern suburb of Detroit, so I am always nervous about that kinda stuff :rolleyes:

Hey guys, How long after secondary application completion did you hear from DMU? A completion email or sort of? And, what does it mean "extending an invitation to interview?" A lot of people are given this, right? So if I'm not, is there something wrong with my application? Thanks

Hey guys, How long after secondary application completion did you hear from DMU? A completion email or sort of? And, what does it mean "extending an invitation to interview?" A lot of people are given this, right? So if I'm not, is there something wrong with my application? Thanks

It seems to me that the range for hearing about interview is a few days to a few weeks after your application is complete.

No, not a lot of people are extended an invitation to interview. Schools weed out a large majority of their applicants between the secondary and interview stage. Schools that have thousands of applicants are only interviewing a few hundred (depending on how big the class size is)for a spot in the incoming class. Somebody may have specific numbers as to how many are interviewed out of how many applied, but i dont know them off the top of my head.

The point is that if you get an invitation to interview you should feel accomplished, because it doesnt happen to everyone. If you dont get an invititatin, it just means that the school didn't feel you were a good fit for their program. It may be because of a lower gpa or mcat, lack of clinical experience, or a number of reasons. I wouldnt take it personal though, its very competitive to get an interview and most applicants will not get them from all of the schools they applied. Just because one school rejects you before an interview does not mean that the next school will do the same. Thats why peope apply to so many schools, b/c they know how competitive it is to get an interview and/or get an acceptnace. I hope that answerd your question! Good luck

anyone care to give their opinion on areas in and around Des Moines to avoid.....you know like shady neighborhoods and such? I come from a really safe northern suburb of Detroit, so I am always nervous about that kinda stuff :rolleyes:
Honestly Des Moines is pretty safe. The "unsafe" areas are pretty safe but would include:
East side on/near E University Ave.
Windsor Heights isn't that bad but some people think it is "shady".

Safe areas would be:
West Des Moines would be very safe.
Clive would be very safe.
Most/all of Urbandale would be very safe.
Des Moines downtown varies, but with the new stuff going in I think a large percentage of the shady apartments are non-existent. Just go and look for a place and go with your gut. The new parts of Des Moines downtown would be a great place to live in.
The south of grand area is very safe and "historic" as far as Des Moines goes. If you found a little house or something South of Grand you'd be fine.

If you want someting close by, just about everything in that area is going to be perfectly safe.

If you want to commute (which would be a max of 30 minutes in traffic), PM me since there are many different areas. Downtown or West Des Moines would be your best bet. Also depends on your living situation (family, single, etc.)

Thanks for all the info! My boyfriend will actually moving with me, and he is transferring to grandview college for physical education....so we are looking for a 1 or 2 BR. I know someone said that west des moines will have "traffic issues" getting to school, but about how long do you think it will take to commute? I come from Michigan and am used to horrible traffic. Also, for those other areas you described such as urbandale, I have found some nice apartments but was not sure how far of a commute that would be either. Honestly, my first time in Des Moines was for my interview so I have NO clue, but I plan on visiting a couple times to search. Thanks again for all the helpful info!:)

What kind of interview is DMU? Open, closed, partial?

That's all i am asking, i don't care if its is relaxed or whatever.