DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Optional essay??? I never even knew there was one haha. So obviously not and I got an interview.

Swweettt

Members don't see this ad.

WAHOO!!!! :D I JUST received my acceptance email!!! I am sooooo excited! Go check your email!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoo hoo!!! Just got the acceptance email.

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!accepted!!!!!!!congrats you guys!!!!!!!

Just got mine too! CONGRATULATIONS everyone!

I was very impressed with DMU during my interview day. The current students seemed really excited about the school, and the facilities were better than what I've seen at other schools. Did you guys feel the same way? Is DMU your first choice? I'd love to hear your opinions. :)

Accepted! Big relieving sigh!!!!

Still going to attend other interviews, but would be very happy to attend DMU. Great facilities and certainly a great education.

We're going to be doctors... can you believe it?!?!

That's so awesome! Congrats everybody!

Just got mine too! CONGRATULATIONS everyone!

I was very impressed with DMU during my interview day. The current students seemed really excited about the school, and the facilities were better than what I've seen at other schools. Did you guys feel the same way? Is DMU your first choice? I'd love to hear your opinions. :)

I agree that DMU has some AWESOME facilities. As far as simulators, it is the best I've seen in my interviews. And I have a feeling that it is going to stay that way. But I still have to go to other interviews. Financial aid package is still a concern. Speaking of which, when do they tell is if we got one of those merit scholarships that pays for like half or full tuition?

I am already sold on DMU...I am going to go to more interviews but am almost positive DMU is for me.

Already thinking about getting a condo close to campus with a couple people. The nice ones rent out early, so its time to start looking.

let me know if you need a place to live....

I agree that DMU has some AWESOME facilities. As far as simulators, it is the best I've seen in my interviews. And I have a feeling that it is going to stay that way. But I still have to go to other interviews. Financial aid package is still a concern. Speaking of which, when do they tell is if we got one of those merit scholarships that pays for like half or full tuition?
I'm wondering about aid as well, anyone know?

Hey for all of you who just got acceptances, congrats! When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, Just figured I would give everyone a heads up. I just received my email from DMU. Interviewed September 12, so everyone should be looking. Good Luck

I just got "the no interview for you" email. Looks like that file will be on hold from here on out. Guess my stats aren't as high as most that I see applying.

Anyone ever have them change their mind on one of the "on hold" email later on in the application process?

Interviewing here tomorrow!! SO excited! My top choice by far.. hope to meet some of you there!!

Congrats rm2908 and good luck. I hope Limvostov that you get an interview! DMU is a nice school, but there are other D.O. schools out there that are just as good. Keep your chin up!

BTW, I was accepted!!! Woooohoooo! I interviewed on September 12th as well, so keep looking guys!

DMU is a nice school, but there are other D.O. schools out there that are just as good. Keep your chin up!

BTW, I was accepted!!! Woooohoooo! I interviewed on September 12th as well, so keep looking guys!

Congrats! Which other schools do you think are just as good? Do AZCOM and TOURO-NV match up?

I would also like to know which schools are as good as DMU?

The worst part about the "on hold" letter was that my DO letter writer is an alum of DMU so there must have been something that didn't jive with my application. Oh well... I still have other schools to wait on.

The worst part about the "on hold" letter was that my DO letter writer is an alum of DMU so there must have been something that didn't jive with my application. Oh well... I still have other schools to wait on.

Just out of curiosity, did Dr. Pham write your letter? Good luck from a fellow Oregonian!

Well, to answer, or more correctly, provide some insight to your's and supradoc's question, I have only interviewed at DMU, KCUMB and WVSOM. I was complete with AZCOM, KCOM and CCOM as of 09/23. KCUMB is very similar to DMU. They have excellent facilities, are building a new fitness center that would match DMU's (in my opinion) and have a curriculum that prepares students very well (they have 95 - 98% part 1 pass rates) and a student at KCUMB told me that 6 people that took the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX scored in the 98th percentile out of all M.D. and D.O. students. KCUMB also has a big research emphasis, so this gives students more options. I also talked with the students there and they said that KCUMB is good for sports med. too (I am interested in this, so this appealed to me).

WVSOM was amazing. They have some of the nicest facilities I have ever been around in my life. Awesome anatomy lab (one of the best in the country both D.O. and M.D. schools) and great staff. I just have been speaking with students and they are weary of their board preparation they get from WVSOM. I think they are just worriers! And the country in WV... enough said. I love it there.

Well, AZCOM and KCOM may be the competing schools I have left with DMU. I am from the west (Northwest specifically) and AZCOM is very appealing. They have awesome pass rates on the boards (100% most of the time!) because they make you take a pre-board assessment test, and if you fail it, then they won't let you take the boards. KCUMB on the other hand, does not do this, but still have really good scores close to AZCOM. This gives you some insight on how KCUMB's curriculum is second to none.

I don't know about Touro, as I am not applying there. Anyways, back to DMU. This is a good school b/c mainly, I felt very good there. I felt that I could have a lot of tools to help me learn (global health here is huge). I am not cancelling any other interviews b/c it really is about how you feel there. Yeah, I know, everyone says that, and I thought that was the most basic/lame advice ever, but take it from a true convert... you won't know until you get there... TRUST ME! Anyways, good luck guys. I would try to post some of these answers on the osteopathic class threads and ask lots of questions to the current students etc. I hope you gleaned at least something out of all of my jabbering! :luck:

Just out of curiosity, did Dr. Pham write your letter? Good luck from a fellow Oregonian!

No...Not Dr. Pham. The doctor who wrote me a letter is a really nice pediatrician from Lebanon, OR. I know his letter was very supportive because we have a good ongoing connection. He is a really stellar person and a recent grad (2002)... it must have been something else... maybe I made a ton of typos that I don't know about. It would be hard to do though because that secondary is pretty much a 5 min fill in the blank form. I won't be too bummed, but I would like to know what I didn't have that they were looking for.:confused: Ah.. on with the process, I still have two interviews and thats still really cool.

No...Not Dr. Pham. The doctor who wrote me a letter is a really nice pediatrician from Lebanon, OR. I know his letter was very supportive because we have a good ongoing connection. He is a really stellar person and a recent grad (2002)... it must have been something else... maybe I made a ton of typos that I don't know about. It would be hard to do though because that secondary is pretty much a 5 min fill in the blank form. I won't be too bummed, but I would like to know what I didn't have that they were looking for.:confused: Ah.. on with the process, I still have two interviews and thats still really cool.

Don't lose hope. Maybe you can try calling and see why they put you on hold and what you can do to better your chances. As everyone says be PROACTIVE...its not over until the reject you and they didn't so give it your best shot. I'm not sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but you can try sending a Letter of Interest to DMU to show how much you really love the school and that its your top choice and what not. Also, if you can (not sure if this works for DMU or not) but maybe you can call and set up to visit. From what I heard schools like to see that you are really interested in their institution will try your best to do what you can to get in. Just my two pennies worth.

:)

I just talked to the DMU admissions office about scholarships. They said that they haven't given out enough acceptances yet to start offering scholarships. It is probably going to be another month or so before any news about scholarships goes out. They said that GPA, MCAT and application submit time were the main factors in determining this. Lets all keep our fingers crossed, maybe DMU will win the iowa lottery and give us all full rides:)

Don't lose hope. Maybe you can try calling and see why they put you on hold and what you can do to better your chances. As everyone says be PROACTIVE...its not over until the reject you and they didn't so give it your best shot. I'm not sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but you can try sending a Letter of Interest to DMU to show how much you really love the school and that its your top choice and what not. Also, if you can (not sure if this works for DMU or not) but maybe you can call and set up to visit. From what I heard schools like to see that you are really interested in their institution will try your best to do what you can to get in. Just my two pennies worth.

:)

Thanks for the advice. I sent a letter of interest to them and it is now part of my file. Maybe it will make a difference next time they review my app. :cool:

I just talked to the DMU admissions office about scholarships. They said that they haven't given out enough acceptances yet to start offering scholarships. It is probably going to be another month or so before any news about scholarships goes out. They said that GPA, MCAT and application submit time were the main factors in determining this. Lets all keep our fingers crossed, maybe DMU will win the iowa lottery and give us all full rides:)

you read my mind! I called today to ask the same question as you, but no one asnwered. I left a message but it hasn't been returned yet. Good thing i am an SDN addict and my question was answered anyway! haha.

babykangaroo said:
Well, AZCOM and KCOM may be the competing schools I have left with DMU. I am from the west (Northwest specifically) and AZCOM is very appealing. They have awesome pass rates on the boards (100% most of the time!) because they make you take a pre-board assessment test, and if you fail it, then they won't let you take the boards. KCUMB on the other hand, does not do this, but still have really good scores close to AZCOM. This gives you some insight on how KCUMB's curriculum is second to none.

a lot of people boast about AZCOMs pass rate being so awesome, but then finding out things like this make me scracth my head. No wonder their pass rate is so high....they wont let you take it if you they think you will fail!!!!! The real question is how many people each year do they hold back from taking the test. For some reason I think those statistics are way harder to find than statistics for the real COMLEX pass rate. Does anybody have them? If their simulated pre-board assessment test has a pass rate similar to the real deal COMLEX of other schools......then what is there to be impressed about?

Hey folks. I just got my secondary from DMU in my email. The email said that because of my "competitive applications" to schedule my interview now and just complete the secondary before I interview. Is this genuine interest in me, or is it a cookie-cutter email they send everyone?

Thanks a lot!

They don't send it to everyone. I didn't get that email. I got my secondary first and then interview invite a few weeks after. So, I would say that it is genuine. Be happy!!!!!! Western does the same thing. Sometimes they give you a secondary with an interview invite and sometimes it is separate.

All you have to do now is interview well and you are in for sure! Its a great campus, amazing facilities, and a great school over all. You will enjoy it! Good luck!

Hey folks. I just got my secondary from DMU in my email. The email said that because of my "competitive applications" to schedule my interview now and just complete the secondary before I interview. Is this genuine interest in me, or is it a cookie-cutter email they send everyone?

Thanks a lot!

I don't think it's a cookie-cutter e-mail either. I, too, just received the FasTrack interview invite and looking at RySerr's comment above, am totally stoked! After waiting forever for AACOMAS to receive my last transcript and then more waiting to be verified, it feels glorious for things to finally be moving ahead. I REALLY want to go to DMU and sitting here watching all those who have already been accepted makes me :eek:!

btw - congrats on your FasTrack interview invite!!!

I don't think it's a cookie-cutter e-mail either. I, too, just received the FasTrack interview invite and looking at RySerr's comment above, am totally stoked! After waiting forever for AACOMAS to receive my last transcript and then more waiting to be verified, it feels glorious for things to finally be moving ahead. I REALLY want to go to DMU and sitting here watching all those who have already been accepted makes me :eek:!

congrats on your interviews...that has to be a good thing, I had no such e-mail and am now accepted. Good luck :luck:

You have a pretty good chance of getting some scholarships with those stats.

You have a pretty good chance of getting some scholarships with those stats.

I hope I can get some sort of scholarship....at the interview they said they give out full, half, and quarter scholarships. My GPA is solid, but my MCAT is just average at 26, so I am thinking this probably rules me out. Any current students know what stats usually go with what scholarships? Thanks a bunch! :)

got an interview email today
i have an interview at kcumb on the 16th so i was hoping to schedule DMU for 17th but all those slots are taken up
what are the chances i can call in and schedule one for the 17th?

Hey guys...just got my secondary in. My AACOMAS took 7.5 weeks to be verified but they're now rolling in all at once.
Came home to a very sweet voicemail from one of the pediatrons I used to work with back home in Oregon. DMU alum. Always impressed me. I'd emailed him to ask if he would write me a recommendation and not only does he say he'd be happy to write me a letter but in fact if I will just give him the A-OK he'll pick up the phone and put a good word in... :eek: No way am I gonna turn that down.
Pretty exciting. My husband feels compelled to point out that Iowa's cold as **** but considering he grew up in Nebraska he should be used to it. This bicoastal girl has never spent much time in the midwest. Might be an interesting change.
Hope to hear good news soon. Congrats to those already admitted and those with interviews.
L.

got an interview email today
i have an interview at kcumb on the 16th so i was hoping to schedule DMU for 17th but all those slots are taken up
what are the chances i can call in and schedule one for the 17th?

Never hurts to try...tell the them your situation.

Hey guys...just got my secondary in. My AACOMAS took 7.5 weeks to be verified but they're now rolling in all at once.
Came home to a very sweet voicemail from one of the pediatrons I used to work
L.

:eek:

pediatrician

I hope I can get some sort of scholarship....at the interview they said they give out full, half, and quarter scholarships. My GPA is solid, but my MCAT is just average at 26, so I am thinking this probably rules me out. Any current students know what stats usually go with what scholarships? Thanks a bunch! :)

The student host I stayed with had a quarter scholarship. He mentioned they give only like 1 full ride, 2-3 halfs, and maybe 4-5 quarter scholarships for a class of 220ish. So pretty competitive!!!

I'm not a current student (even though i might be a future one :D) , but I konw on their website it says any applicant with a GPA of 3.6 and MCAT 30+ will automatically be considered for scholarship. I'm not sure if this eliminates anybody below these scores, but if it did that would be pretty uncool considering you can be a strong enough applicant to be deserving of a scholarship and not have a 30+ or 3.6. Whatever tho, i guess you have to play the numbers game.

in the interview email they sent, it said they would send a link with contact information to stay with current DMU students. I haven't seen that link and I wondered if anyone is a current student or knows how to contact one to stay with two nights October 16th and 17th

in the interview email they sent, it said they would send a link with contact information to stay with current DMU students. I haven't seen that link and I wondered if anyone is a current student or knows how to contact one to stay with two nights October 16th and 17th

I got the list from [email protected]

You just have to ask about it and they will give it to you!

Does anyone know statistics about DMU's alternate list? I just received an email today saying I was placed on it :( From what it looks like, there's a pretty slim chance of acceptance.

I had called to ask about the scholarships as well- 3.7 Science GPA /30 MCAT were the stats I was given for consideration.

Either way- still top choice and very excited about next year!:D

I had called to ask about the scholarships as well- 3.7 Science GPA /30 MCAT were the stats I was given for consideration.

Either way- still top choice and very excited about next year!:D

Its a 3.6....I called as well. IMO I think it is BS to have a cutoff like that. I mean, if in the end a person with a higher GPA and MCAT is awarded a scholarship because he/she is more deserving and a better all-around applicant.... then i can live with that. But to automatically disqualify me b/c my MCAT is not a 30+ i think is a little weak. I guess they are trying to minimize their work, but still. Lame.

Does anyone know statistics about DMU's alternate list? I just received an email today saying I was placed on it :( From what it looks like, there's a pretty slim chance of acceptance.

Two years ago, there was a decent amount of wait list movement. This last year, however, almost none. DMU is gaining popularity every year, so I imagine it will be more of the same, but you never know.

Dancer212 I feel your pain, as I also received my email saying I am on the alt. list, as well. Best of luck to both of us for a high ranking on the alternate list and movement this year!:)

was this after interview? or pre interview hold? If it doesnt happen for DMU, itll happen somwhere else. GL

I was also placed on the alternate list here (interviewed 9/19). Was a little bummed, I really liked DMU, but I did receive an acceptance elsewhere the day before, so it's all good.

Last edited:
I was placed on the alternate list after the interview. Good luck to everyone else who's in the same vote. Hopefully there will be some movement on it this year. My fingers are crossed.