DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe I'll be neighborly and send them an email that I don't feel right getting all of it, and they should give you a 1/4 of it. No, you don't need to thank me, I'm just that kind of guy.

haha well good luck, i JUST got the email and I got wait-listed... so just more waiting now :( I hope the news is better for you.

Members don't see this ad.

haha well good luck, i JUST got the email and I got wait-listed... so just more waiting now :( I hope the news is better for you.

Ugh. I'm sorry to hear you have to keep waiting. No fun at all. If it makes you feel any better, I got a big rejection the other day with no hope for a stay of execution. Hang in there and keep your fingers crossed.

I don't feel comfortable sharing good news when others may not be receiving great news, but I just got my acceptance email. I am deeply grateful.

If you receive bad news but you feel called to become a physician, and have half way decent credentials, don't give up. I tried to go to medical school in 1994. So if you don't get in now, keep at it gang.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those accepted!

I Interviewed 1/20/12. Received the email today. Unfortunately, I was put on the alternate list. "The Admission Committee and the Dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine have placed you on our Alternate List for admission..."

Shucks. Hopefully there is some major movement this year!!

Got my acceptance email as well. I interviewed 1/20. See you all Fall 2012!

Sorry to those waitlisted. Hopefully you got some love elsewhere so if you don't get pulled off the waitlist you can still move forward. good luck and I hope to see you guys down the road.

Congrats to those accepted. Feel free to join our facebook group if you are set on DMU! http://www.facebook.com/groups/266541363392822/?notif_t=group_r2j See you in the fall!

Congrats guys!

Sorry for those who are waitlisted. Hopefully the alternate list will move! :luck:

Sorry to those who got waitlisted, but I am excited to say I received my acceptance email today. DMU is marvelous on paper but in person, it's too good to pass up!!!

Totally off topic, but as of now DMU has the second most replies for 2011-2012 (following AZCOM by 3 replies) and toytles, I would bet more than half of them are you and me. :laugh:

Haha. I apologize in advance if I call you "Stok" during orientation. How cool would it be, though, if our SDN classmates walked in first day with arm bands that had our sdn username and avatar?! Epic! Amiright or amiright?

Ok, that may be pushing it...

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU is in the heartland of America! AZCOM is in America's appendix! O'Doyle rules!

Has anyone noticed the male:female ratio at AZCOM? I can't afford those odds, and neither can you!

$73,572 AZCOM estimated annual budget...$62,844 for DMU...$10,728 difference per year...$42,912 difference over 4 years...

Did I mention the male:female ratio at AZCOM? (Everyone, please forgive my male-hetero-centric perception)

OK, I'm backing away from the computer now. I was only trying to help

Last edited:
$73,572 AZCOM estimated annual budget...$62,844 for DMU...$10,728 difference per year...$42,912 difference over 4 years...

Did I mention the male:female ratio at AZCOM? (Everyone, please forgive my male-hetero-centric perception)

OK, I'm backing away from the computer now. I was only trying to help

Has anyone noticed the male:female ratio at AZCOM? I can't afford those odds, and neither can you!

DMU is in the heartland of America! AZCOM is in America's appendix! O'Doyle rules!

Two down! You can do eeitt!

LMAO. what the hell is going on right now. DMU m:f i think was around 50%. What is azcoms?

Haha. I apologize in advance if I call you "Stok" during orientation. How cool would it be, though, if our SDN classmates walked in first day with arm bands that had our sdn username and avatar?! Epic! Amiright or amiright?

Ok, that may be pushing it...

Haha. It probably wouldn't phase me. Most people call me Stok. And I apologize in advance if i call you toytles all through med school. :laugh:

Haha. It probably wouldn't phase me. Most people call me Stok. And I apologize in advance if i call you toytles all through med school. :laugh:

Lol, Stok it is.

Btw, this post ties AZCOM with 1,122.

epic-win-photos-ninja-turtle-win.jpg

Is anyone else interviewing on Feb 10? I am trying to figure out the best way to get from DMU to the airport after the interview, and if anyone is interested maybe we can split the cost of a shuttle/taxi or whatever is best.

Hey I just did my interview yesterday, and I cannot believe how amazing this school is. I've even been there before, a few months ago, and I still got blown away! I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about my interview performance and I'm reeeeeally hoping that I get in! Congrats to everyone who did!

:xf::luck::xf::luck:

This school is amazing! ..does anyone know when they give out scholarships?

Last edited:
I've applied for the early acceptance program at DMU. Should I receive an invitation for an interview my wife and I were planning to visit some apartments, which ones do you recommend?

I've applied for the early acceptance program at DMU. Should I receive an invitation for an interview my wife and I were planning to visit some apartments, which ones do you recommend?

It depends on what your priorities are. Do you want to be able to walk to school? Or are you willing to give up proximity for other things... like in-unit laundry?

Some apartments that look nice are the Imperial, Kirkwood, Ingersoll Square, Ingersoll Towers, 3000 Grand (although, I read the management here sucks), Hampton House, etc.

They all have their pros and cons though. Good luck with the EAP acceptance! :)

good luck. are you applying for the c/o 2017? or 2018? I know something recommends applying as a sophmore but last i looked into it, it was years ago. it seems to be set up almost entirely for traditional students, and being a nontraditional, they told me to apply like normal.

but let us know what happens and how you do.

Thank you for the names... I'll be sure to check them out... I'll be sure to let you know what develops with my application...

good luck. are you applying for the c/o 2017? or 2018? I know something recommends applying as a sophmore but last i looked into it, it was years ago. it seems to be set up almost entirely for traditional students, and being a nontraditional, they told me to apply like normal.

but let us know what happens and how you do.

I'm applying for the 2018 class... I'm a sophmore who happens to be a nontraditional student.... I spoke with admissions and I was informed that I am eligible to apply. Hopefully they informed me correctly...lol Thanks for the best wishes! I'll be sure to let you guys know what transpires...

I'm applying for the 2018 class... I'm a sophmore who happens to be a nontraditional student.... I spoke with admissions and I was informed that I am eligible to apply. Hopefully they informed me correctly...lol Thanks for the best wishes! I'll be sure to let you guys know what transpires...

They probably told you right. Last I talked to them it was 2006. And I had years of vocational school and years of odds and ends classes so I was a different case. Good luck.

They probably told you right. Last I talked to them it was 2006. And I had years of vocational school and years of odds and ends classes so I was a different case. Good luck.

whew...lol If you don't mind me asking, what was your interview like?

I'm actually applying to DMU this year (June) but was hoping someone could answer some questions. I'm attending Discover DMU on March 7 and very excited to check it out! I'm wondering is class attendance mandatory? Also what would a typical day look like of classes? Time wise I mean. Like class 8-5 then study or classes longer, shorter? I have a wife and 2 kids so my wife is wondering what to expect. Thanks!

whew...lol If you don't mind me asking, what was your interview like?

it was actually kind of stressful, but laid back as well. I left very unsure about how I did. And many people say that, so if you get an interview, just remember that. they were app specific but did ask some general questions. Know why DO, DMU, etc. Basically, have an answer for every question on the interview feedback section.

I'm actually applying to DMU this year (June) but was hoping someone could answer some questions. I'm attending Discover DMU on March 7 and very excited to check it out! I'm wondering is class attendance mandatory? Also what would a typical day look like of classes? Time wise I mean. Like class 8-5 then study or classes longer, shorter? I have a wife and 2 kids so my wife is wondering what to expect. Thanks!

attendance isn't required although they do have some required lectures. Not sure exactly the schedule, but lecture seems to be done by noon. labs in the afternoon. sometimes lecture starts at 8, sometimes 9. This is all speculation as I am not there yet, so maybe a student can chime in. also, being a parent to 3 kids, being a parent was portrayed heavily by me at the interview, and everyone said DMU was fantastic for families.

Lecture attendance is usually not required and the lectures are recorded. Most lectures are in the morning, but there are a few random lectures scheduled in the afternoons sometimes. Labs are in the afternoon. Class starts at 8 or 9, except on Wed when it is 10.

I think it's a very good schedule with lots of flexibility if you don't attend class. Even if you do, there is still lots of extra time to study, workout, sleep, etc.

Lecture attendance is usually not required and the lectures are recorded. Most lectures are in the morning, but there are a few random lectures scheduled in the afternoons sometimes. Labs are in the afternoon. Class starts at 8 or 9, except on Wed when it is 10.

I think it's a very good schedule with lots of flexibility if you don't attend class. Even if you do, there is still lots of extra time to study, workout, sleep, etc.

do you guys know if any classes are combined with other programs? if so, how many ?

do you guys know if any classes are combined with other programs? if so, how many ?

I know the masters of science in anatomy program has a lot of the same classes as the osteopathic program. First year is pretty much the exact same for both programs.

So looking forward to anatomy class. I remember my first dissection.....I couldn't eat meat for a month...

You guys were right this school is awesome. Just had my interview today and I loved the program, the interview seemed to go really well but I am hesitant to get my hopes up because it could just be that interviews are friendly and fun for every applicant. I'll keep my fingers crossed and good luck everyone else who is still waiting.

So looking forward to anatomy class. I remember my first dissection.....I couldn't eat meat for a month...

Yeah me too! This was in elementary school though. I love dissections now!!! I hope I have a good anatomy lab group.

You guys were right this school is awesome. Just had my interview today and I loved the program, the interview seemed to go really well but I am hesitant to get my hopes up because it could just be that interviews are friendly and fun for every applicant. I'll keep my fingers crossed and good luck everyone else who is still waiting.

Yay! Just sit back and relax... nothing you can do now. And just so you know, the interviewers are NOT friendly to everyone, haha. Mine were super cool, but there are some posts in this thread from people who had bad interview experiences (some got acceptances though!). Hope you get an acceptance! Good luck. :)

Hey, Where did you guys stay for interview. I am having one this Friday and trying to figure out where to stay for the night. Thanks!

I stayed at the Hampton Inn - Airport. They will give you a DMU discount if you ask.

I stayed at Holiday Inn by Mercy Hospital, they also gave a discount and had a free shuttle to and from the airport and to and from the university.

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

Interviewed here yesterday, loved the campus! The dean said the class is 85% full, but I'm hopeful

Alternate list... major :(
Am I correct in assuming my chances are pretty slim at this point?

I got wait listed too and called last week and they said they don't usually take anyone off the list until May usually. Good luck to all.