2021-2022 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the difference between HP and 1st quartile?

Members don't see this ad.

High priority applicants are included in the 1st quartile, but are just prioritized over the rest of the first quartile should a spot becomes available, but this doesn’t guarantee that they get pulled first, really the list could be pulled in any order.

Members don't see this ad :)
For current students, how does the school support you in your 4th year? Can you do electives at established DMU sites w/o having to apply or find your own?

For current students, how does the school support you in your 4th year? Can you do electives at established DMU sites w/o having to apply or find your own?
You will want to apply to and find your own as most of your fourth year is for doing audition rotations/sub-is at your top residency programs. DMU does help you with the process but it is ultimately up to you where you want to do these at. You can also do a research rotation at DMU during your fourth year, an international rotation set up through the school, and many more options I am missing off the top of my head.

Reactions: 1 user
You will want to apply to and find your own as most of your fourth year is for doing audition rotations/sub-is at your top residency programs. DMU does help you with the process but it is ultimately up to you where you want to do these at. You can also do a research rotation at DMU during your fourth year, an international rotation set up through the school, and many more options I am missing off the top of my head.
I should also mention that the application for audition/sub-is is a standardized national application called VSAS. Not every program uses this to select students for rotations, but it is common at most major rotation sites.

Did they only end up sending out the first quartile so far? Maybe I missed people saying they are in the others??

Did they only end up sending out the first quartile so far? Maybe I missed people saying they are in the others??
Are you on the waitlist and did not get the quartile email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an alternate list email.... group interview was late march

Do they let you know if you’re high priority or first quartile after this email? Or would it normally say in the email they send to notify you that you’re an alternate?

As in, should i get my hopes up or just assume that the chances of getting off the alternate list are slim if they didn’t tell me I was HP/first quartile?

Last edited:
Just got an alternate list email.... group interview was late march

Do they let you know if you’re high priority or first quartile after this email? Or would it normally say in the email they send to notify you that you’re an alternate?

As in, should i get my hopes up or just assume that the chances of getting off the alternate list are slim?
What date specifically was your interview if you don't mind my asking?

Afterwards I got a separate email.
Did your original email also say “While we are currently unable to offer you a seat in the class, we may make additional offers of admission at the close of the application year. Your position within the Alternate List guarantees that you will be considered if space becomes available” ?

The way it was worded made me think this was a different list that not a lot of people get off but guess not?

Did your original email also say “While we are currently unable to offer you a seat in the class, we may make additional offers of admission at the close of the application year. Your position within the Alternate List guarantees that you will be considered if space becomes available” ?

The way it was worded made me think this was a different list that not a lot of people get off but guess not?
I got that same exact email today alternate list. I am not sure if that is like a 3rd different group like high priority, 1st quartile, and alternate list. Or we will get another email soon putting us into one of the groups. Either or fingers crossed. Is the class full by now? Also to keep it realistic should we expect high movment happening in the alternate list?

I got that same exact email today alternate list. I am not sure if that is like a 3rd different group like high priority, 1st quartile, and alternate list. Or we will get another email soon putting us into one of the groups. Either or fingers crossed. Is the class full by now? Also to keep it realistic should we expect high movment happening in the alternate list?
I've heard that they've gone through their whole waitlist in previous years and have even sent out very late interviews

I got placed on the alternate list yesterday as well! Super excited because DMU is also my dream school. Interview group 3/24. How soon should we expect to get our quartile placement?

If you have just been placed on the alternate list, you will soon get a separate email that tells you which quartile you are in. If you have received a quartile email that does not say anything about HP, you aren't and won't be HP. Last year, I was in the 2nd quartile and got in on June 4th. There is still plenty of time and right now the class is full, but there are plenty of people with multiple acceptances that will end up going elsewhere and spots will open. There isn't much else you can do at this point outside of updating ADCOM with any new experiences and final grades when they come out at the end of the semester.

Anyone know when first quartile people started finding out last year?

Anyone know when first quartile people started finding out last year?
Looks like some HP got off 4/15 if I’m remembering correctly. I would guess next week some movement starts. I bet 1st quartile non-HP will be early May. Just speculation though.

Placed in the 2nd quartile via email yesterday!!! (Alternate list email on 4/13) Based on previous years’ waitlist movement, I’m kinda hopeful!

Figured I should post and let you guys know since I haven’t seen anyone else post a 2nd quartile placement yet 😅

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed 2/11 and received an email about being placed as on the waitlist on 3/25. That same day I received a different email stating that i was HP. Haven't heard anything since then, and did not come off the Waitlist on 4/15 just as an FYI. We all still out here waitin' lol

The WL waiting game is going to kill me! I just want to know where I’m going to be in two months.

Reactions: 5 users
dmudosmth.png
Make memes with me while we wait :)

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I got an email saying I am still on hold. They are done interviewing correct?

What’s up with no WL movement here yet? Last year it started around the 15th.

What’s up with no WL movement here yet? Last year it started around the 15th.
There's quite a lot of people in the fb group. 2nd deposit is due this weekend. I'd expect movement starting next week.

Reactions: 1 users
Should I send my LOCI now or hold off a little longer? I'm on the WL first quartile, non HP

There's quite a lot of people in the fb group. 2nd deposit is due this weekend. I'd expect movement starting next week.
Keep in mind the facebook group has current students and current/accepted students from other programs as well

As someone who came off the waitlist in late July two years ago I would not recommend looking to SDN for insight as to waitlist movement. The vast majority of applicants do not use SDN and therefore it is impossible for you to know the size of quartiles. You may begin to see the start of movement show up on here, but it will not give you any idea as to where you may be in the lineup. Keep your heads up and enjoy the time you have before med school! :)

Reactions: 2 users
DO FB group has 209 students right now (including class of 2025 ambassadors, etc) , the pulse DO 2026 shows 231 students, but keep in mind these include students that may have left as well.

Last edited: