This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guilty, sorry. It wasn't intentional. I did ask what the OP decided to do. Curious if we will get an answer.

I never said hijacking was a bad thing :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think the point I was trying to make was missed and I'm just going to let it go.

I think the point got lost when you threw in the inflammatory comment about people getting C's because they're out drinking. You kinda derailed your own point. I do it all the time.

No harm, no foul. We'd all like to get straight A's.

But DVMD is right - don't worry about what other people get for grades in vet school. Will eat you alive. So will obsessing over your own grades. Just focus on building strong professional relationships and learning to be a good doctor. Nitpicking over that one last point on a test that would take you from a B+ to an A-? That's b.s.

(I did that once in vet school. Went to the prof's office to say "geez.... one point moves me up a grade for the semester." He is a hilarious guy, and gave me a total beat down along the lines of "Yo, idiot, there are people struggling to pass this class and you're wasting my time talking about the difference between a B+ and A-? Get the hell out of here." Except I think he used the f-bomb. I laughed. He's right.)

P.S. I got a few C's in vet school. I'd like to think it doesn't make me a crappy vet.

I think the point got lost when you threw in the inflammatory comment about people getting C's because they're out drinking. You kinda derailed your own point. I do it all the time.

But DVMD is right - don't worry about what other people get for grades in vet school. Will eat you alive. So will obsessing over your own grades. Just focus on building strong professional relationships and learning to be a good doctor. Nitpicking over that one last point on a test that would take you from a B+ to an A-? That's b.s.

(I did that once. Went to the prof's office to say "geez.... one point moves me up a grade for the semester." He is a hilarious guy, and gave me a total beat down along the lines of "Yo, idiot, there are people struggling to pass this class and you're wasting my time talking about the difference between a B+ and A-? Get the hell out of here." Except I think he used the f-bomb. I laughed. He's right.)

P.S. I got a few C's in vet school. I'd like to think it doesn't make me a crappy vet.
I think the grading scale in professional school is different. I will struggle with determining good grade versus truly learning how to be a good vet. it will be a conscious battle.

You are likely right about the drinking comment. I didn't mean to imply everyone who got a C was partying... Though I knew plenty who were. I knew A students who were high as a kite. School isn't easy for everyone, but if you aren't trying and are failing, move over for someone willing to put in the effort. There were lots of kids who were not appreciative of the opportunity they had been given is perhaps a better way to put it?

Members don't see this ad :)

(I did that once in vet school. Went to the prof's office to say "geez.... one point moves me up a grade for the semester." He is a hilarious guy, and gave me a total beat down along the lines of "Yo, idiot, there are people struggling to pass this class and you're wasting my time talking about the difference between a B+ and A-? Get the hell out of here." Except I think he used the f-bomb. I laughed. He's right.)

You're not a crappy vet. But I got a couple, too, so I may not have a good frame of reference ;).

I think the grading scale in professional school is different. I will struggle with determining good grade versus truly learning how to be a good vet. it will be a conscious battle.
Honestly, I want you to bookmark this post and come back to it if/when you get in to vet school. Just saying.

Honestly, I want you to bookmark this post and come back to it if/when you get in to vet school. Just saying.

With regards to what exactly? Caring less about grades in vet school vs undergrad? I assume the scaling is different because in undergrad the pool is full of people not cut out for professional school. In vet school it's a higher level playing field. I expect it to be much more difficult to achieve the same grades. What am I missing?

There is no "if", only "when."

With regards to what exactly? Caring less about grades in vet school vs undergrad? I assume the scaling is different because in undergrad the pool is full of people not cut out for professional school. In vet school it's a higher level playing field. I expect it to be much more difficult to achieve the same grades. What am I missing?

There is no "if", only "when."
The statement about grades v. learning to be a good vet. This is simply a misguided statement. And in a way that is difficult to explain.

I'm glad you have a positive outlook.

I have never hijacked a thread! :angelic:
image.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
This scenario is flawed though. If the dude got an F the first time, I have serious doubts about whether he was paying enough attention to the tests and homework to have it be beneficial the second time around. He effectively didn't learn anything the first time, so why would any of it be easier the second?

Also, I don't know of any schools that don't still show that you took the class and got an F, even if the grade is replaced in your GPA. Everything still goes on your transcript. Otherwise people wouldn't be concerned about W's and such, because they would just disappear when you retook the class. That's not how it works.
This. Also, I had to retake organic II several times, and had three different professors who used completely different tests, homework, lecturing styles, grading scales, etc. Even when I had the same professor again, he switched things up from the last time I'd had the class with him (specifically introducing an online homework program that was stupid hard and didn't help me because it was nothing like our tests). Maybe if there's only one professor who teaches the class and he/she does things exactly the same way every semester, it would be a bit easier the second time around, but that wasn't the case for me.

I've been accepted to a vet school that does grade replacement for calculating GPAs (Kansas State), but they definitely still saw all the attempts on my transcript, and it definitely came up in my interview. Side note, even if your undergrad school is weird and doesn't include the first attempt at the course on your transcript, I'm almost positive you're still required to enter it on VMCAS. There were/are days when I think I must not be cut out for vet school because I struggled so much with that class, but K-State obviously thought otherwise, and I'm incredibly grateful for the opportunity. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Everyone is different. I think people on here often make it sound like you're either a ridiculous gunner who memorizes facts and is destined to be a lousy vet because they didn't bother doing anything outside of the classroom, or you're an amazing vet who doesn't care about grades and is super involved in everything and makes valuable connections. There is actually a huge spectrum, and obviously it hugely depends on the person and their individual goals. If you're interested in residency/internship/specialty, then yeah - you're going to have to care about grades. That doesn't mean it's the ONLY thing, but it IS important. If your goal is to graduate and join an established practice and jump right into being a GP, then maybe you won't worry about grades as much.

But different classes/subjects are harder for different people, so you might be not stressing about your grade and coasting along, while someone else is working their butt off to earn the same grade. People told me the same "just you wait and see when you're in vet school" that they're telling you, and - it's actually pretty much exactly what I expected. You can actually do well, grade-wise, and be involved outside of the classroom/making connections/having jobs/etc.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Everyone is different. I think people on here often make it sound like you're either a ridiculous gunner who memorizes facts and is destined to be a lousy vet because they didn't bother doing anything outside of the classroom, or you're an amazing vet who doesn't care about grades and is super involved in everything and makes valuable connections. There is actually a huge spectrum, and obviously it hugely depends on the person and their individual goals. If you're interested in residency/internship/specialty, then yeah - you're going to have to care about grades. That doesn't mean it's the ONLY thing, but it IS important. If your goal is to graduate and join an established practice and jump right into being a GP, then maybe you won't worry about grades as much.

But different classes/subjects are harder for different people, so you might be not stressing about your grade and coasting along, while someone else is working their butt off to earn the same grade. People told me the same "just you wait and see when you're in vet school" that they're telling you, and - it's actually pretty much exactly what I expected. You can actually do well, grade-wise, and be involved outside of the classroom/making connections/having jobs/etc.
I expect to have to find a balance between good scores and extra curricular activities that add experience. Where that balance is will depend on where I want to go with my career. I'm glad I'm not the only one getting the "you just wait and see" speech. :p Thanks