This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would like to comment on this thread. Well....maybe more vent then comment. I'm a dentist who has been out of school for 4 years. There is a lot of talk on here about the financial aspects of why you shouldn't go into dentistry if you have a high debt load. I wanted to add to the "doom and gloom" but from other aspects of dentistry. Here are my thoughts:

Dentistry is hard. Some days I just wish I didn't have to go back. If you are not a so called "people person" then having to deal with people all day long is exhausting. 4/10 patients just suck. They are not very nice people. When you see 10-20 patients a day that adds up quickly. Patients can be rude, condescending, pushy, and have unreal expectations. Some patients just suck the life out of you and your team. They are so high maintenance. Dealing with people goes beyond the patients themselves. You also have to deal with parents and spouses. Which can be even worse sometimes. After that you have to deal with the team. Most of my assistants (I work for a group practice as an associate) are in their young 20s and don't know how to work hard. They lounge around and it drives me nuts. I guess my point here is that if you don't like to deal with people, then dentistry is most certainly not for you.

I'm so tired of injections too. I work in a state where hygiene can't anesthetize. I don't like causing pain to people and I stab them with needles all day long. I'm tired of hearing the phrase "no offense doc, but I hate the dentist!". I'm tired of hearing people say "I just don't like needles".....who the hell does like needles? What kind of statement is that? I'm tired of having patients tell me "they can't lie back in the chair all the way".....um....how the hell do you sleep at night? Oh...you lie down to sleep....then you will be ok for the next half hour laying down in my chair....COME ON (GOB style from arrested development).

My back is killing me. I had this 400 pound African American man in my chair last week. He couldn't lie back in the chair all the way. So I stood up for 35 minutes troughing out some majorly clubed roots on tooth 12. The man was incredibly rude. It hurts all the time. I have 4.5 mag loupes and try my best to exercise good ergonomics;however, my back still hurts. I'm going to be cuasimoto in 10 years.

I'm tired of the smells. Smell of periodontal disease, smell of abscesses, smell of unsanitary patients, smell of burning decay. I actually like the smell of the bond I use. Optibond XTR. Smells good.

I'm so tired of the stupid crap that patients say that I don't even bother educating them anymore. "the baby sucked out all the calcium in my teeth, thats why I have so many cavities", "My teeth were so perfect five years ago, until I let that one dentist do a filling and now he jacked up all my teeth".

I'm tired of the drug seekers. "Um,....ya.....I'm allergic to motrin, hydrocodone....but I can take....whats that drug....oxy......oxy......oxycodone. Ya that is the one I can take. "I'm going to need more then 12 pills....I'm in so much pain!" The act they put on just sends me through the roof.

I'm tired of everyone else in my life thinking that I'm rich. Expecting me to pay for everything. I'm tired of people saying "I just paid for your new boat house"....or "I paid for your kids to go to college".....Um...you paid me for a service and I did it very well.

Real world dentistry is hard. Composites can be very difficult to obtain a A+ result. It takes time and proper equipment and great hands. Its even harder when you have a terrible patient in the chair. Dentures suck to do and so do difficult extractions.

If you take insurance like my practice....the reimbursement rates can be very minimal. To truly make a lot of money as a associate you have to be balling all the time. You have to be very productive. I'm not. I'm not very good at treatment acceptance and don't do highly productive procedures.

For the sake of keeping with the thread, from my own eyes, I do not agree with the OP that the profession is saturated. There are markets that are truly saturated;however, there are more unsaturated areas then there are saturated. Most dentists I know do well. Debt can be managed.

Just know that there is a hell of a lot more negative aspects to dentistry then the high debt load. I wish that I would have known some of these things as a pre-dent. But how can you. Shadowing doesn't really show you everything that you need. Even in school you don't see what it will really be like.

Do you mind sharing where you practice?

I feel like you may be in a terrible location... with terrible patients. To be honest, there are those patients you describe in our office as well, but only like 3 of them in the past 18 months.
Haven't run into anyone who couldn't lay down on the chair.. how is that even a problem for them?? I really feel for you if that's an every day occurrence...

Also, have you tried buffering lido for anesthesia? It could help make it a lot more bearable for patients.. It's rare for me to hear complaints about the pain but rather patients often complimented about how painless it was.

For me, I love being at the office.. although I don't have time to take lunch breaks sometimes, it's a really rewarding experience.
Most of the patients show a lot of gratitude to someone like me who's only an assistant.
I do have back pain already though, since I like seeing what's going on. I'm always bending sideways to get a better look...
 
Last edited:
redpill.jpg


OP giving pre-dents the pill that they are afraid to take
 
The common message is that $400k is not worth it, but that eliminates all but one school for me (which I did not get an interview to yet). I am not willing to set my career back a year (if I am accepted somewhere) to try again for my state school and risk not getting in again. I suppose the NHSC program is the only way to go? HPSP is not an option for me due to personal reasons.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The common message is that $400k is not worth it, but that eliminates all but one school for me (which I did not get an interview to yet). I am not willing to set my career back a year (if I am accepted somewhere) to try again for my state school and risk not getting in again. I suppose the NHSC program is the only way to go? HPSP is not an option for me due to personal reasons.

NHSC is very competitive (less than 100 spots) which mostly go to URM student.
 
The common message is that $400k is not worth it, but that eliminates all but one school for me (which I did not get an interview to yet). I am not willing to set my career back a year (if I am accepted somewhere) to try again for my state school and risk not getting in again. I suppose the NHSC program is the only way to go? HPSP is not an option for me due to personal reasons.

Yeah it really puts you in a tough spot.. NHSC is more competitive than HPSP, too. (less than 5% acceptance rate)
So it is quite the dilemma.
 
I don't think there are too many dental schools that go as low as 200k anymore. The cheapest school for me is at 240k

yeah times have changed for sure. i'm really worried about all the future dentists who have no idea what they are getting themselves into.
that plus all the corporate offices snatching new grads will make for an unfortunate combo of dental mills. if this results in lots of profit-centered overtreatments... dentistry might be going down a scary path
 
yeah times have changed for sure. i'm really worried about all the future dentists who have no idea what they are getting themselves into.
that plus all the corporate offices snatching new grads will make for an unfortunate combo of dental mills. if this results in lots of profit-centered overtreatments... dentistry might be going down a scary path

It is a very daunting road ahead. I am actually considering working in corporate dentistry once I graduate in order to keep up with loans. In corporate offices, the profit-centered over treatments might be unavoidable. I believe all dentists want to practice ethically and put the patient first, but how can you when someone else is handing you the paycheck that you need for survival.
 
It is a very daunting road ahead. I am actually considering working in corporate dentistry once I graduate in order to keep up with loans. In corporate offices, the profit-centered over treatments might be unavoidable. I believe all dentists want to practice ethically and put the patient first, but how can you when someone else is handing you the paycheck that you need for survival.

welcome to my life for the past 2 years. I hate to break it to you, but you will end up working for corporate dentistry when you get out.

I want to put the patient first, but whats really annoying is the other doctor in my office just fills every single molar she possibly can and refers all the hard treatment. She's a sweet little asian girl, so you wouldn't be able to tell.
 
Last edited:
One of my friends got NHSC. He is not a URM. ORM actually

I'm also an "ORM", as AVB2104 calls it, and I got the scholarship this year. You'll need to have some killer service, essays, and LORs to even have a chance with how competitive it's becoming. To give you some perspective, last year they had ~ 1,400 applicants and this year the number jumped to over 5,100. So if it wasn't hard enough already.....

I think people are starting to realize that $400,000 means you're going to still be living like a dental student 10 years after you graduate. No joke.
 
I'm also an "ORM", as AVB2104 calls it, and I got the scholarship this year. You'll need to have some killer service, essays, and LORs to even have a chance with how competitive it's becoming. To give you some perspective, last year they had ~ 1,400 applicants and this year the number jumped to over 5,100. So if it wasn't hard enough already.....

I think people are starting to realize that $400,000 means you're going to be living like a dental student 10 years after you graduate. No joke.

Yeah I guess I shouldn't bank on that. However, I hate using money (except on dental school of course) so I think I can make it on very minimal funds for myself.
 
Location is key no matter what kind of dentist you are.

Specialists have their own challenges, starting from the application process.

You know what leaves you in a better position? GOING TO THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL. Then you can do whatever the hell you want! Wanna be a pedo ortho perio OMFS? go ahead.

Debt slows you down no matter how good you are.

I'm 2 years out, and I really enjoy dentistry. My wife and I combined make as much some owners with multiple offices, and I still don't feel like I can have a kid yet. It's due to a combination of things, but DEBT plays the biggest role, and living in this really rural area. There is no way I'm raising my kid here.

While I agree not all rural areas are created equally, what is wrong with where you live now?

So grateful to even have a shot at SIU. For what it's worth, I've heard you can live like a king in Alton for $10k/month, and definitely get by with $6-8k. That would put your total debt close to $200k, and for a fantastic clinical education at that.

Not to mention you are easy driving distance to St. Louis, Chicago, Memphis, etc, etc, etc.....

You're willing to be a >30y/o doctor living in a $450 apartment because you had half million in student debt? More power to you brother.
Just keep in mind that if having a family is anywhere in that plan, it is likely that plan will change very quickly. $20K won't take you as far anymore.

Rainee & bjpenn, thank you for sharing your experiences. I appreciate your insight into the profession, both good and bad. One question though, would you do it again?

See, this is the part you don't understand, you picked out the $450 and didn't see the nice part of my post. Nice being a LARGE 2 bedroom apartment, granite everything, fireplaces, walking distance to just about everything, full workout room, etc, etc, etc. If I wanted "student housing" that would be about $250-300/month. Yes, I would be more than willing to live in a small house or apartment for a few years to pay off my loans faster if that was the financially responsible thing to do. Depending on market conditions when I graduate, it might not be smart to put extra toward loans, we will see. Looking around at family friends that are doctors, lawyers, etc. they all did the same thing, live frugally for the first few years, then you can start working on buying your mansion....

I don't need the 20K to take me anywhere but to pay off loans and, if a family is in the pipeline, well, that might be another 20K from a spouse we can live off..but realistically that will be more. Hopefully I can get into my state school, wonderful, fantastic, but even then my costs will be close to 300K by the time I get done.

welcome to my life for the past 2 years. I hate to break it to you, but you will end up working for corporate dentistry when you get out.

I want to put the patient first, but whats really annoying is the other doctor in my office just fills every single molar she possibly can and refers all the hard treatment. She's a sweet little asian girl, so you wouldn't be able to tell.

If that is the case, well so be it. If I can use the corporate career to put in extra hours, develop skills, pay off loans, great, then I can start my own practice.
 
So - I'd like to begin by first saying that this is a throwaway, because I don't really feel like having any of you discover who I am - (never underestimate the power of the internet. Dentistry is a very “front” facing profession. Your mug will be plastered on the website of whatever office you decide to work at.) Because of this, I will try to keep personal details to a min.

What has compelled me to go back to SDN, and write what appears to be a memoir? I’m fed up with the field, and everything it stands for. My brother is EM physician (just finished his residency a few years back), and I am pretty sure I'm able to see both sides.

So, young‘uns - 1st - SDN has a reputation for being all doom and gloom. A “sky is falling mentality” I guess. Can’t say I chuckled when I first started going through threads several years back during dental school. But now as a graduate, and practicing dentist… its funny how things work out. The field is saturated, and due to market forces we, as dentists can’t really control, it is definitely headed in a downwards trajectory. Don’t say I didn’t warn you guys.

I graduated roughly 5 years ago. I came out with several hundred thousand dollars of debt. I didn’t think too much about paying them off - I figured I’d just start associating and the rest would take care of itself.

I’m making good progress on it - but my issues with dentistry lie not so much with the debt (although thats a huge part - especially nowadays. Other people have covered this - so I’m not going to delve into it too much), but other issues with the field most people wouldn’t think about if they were applying today.

1) SATURATION. I kid you not - Dentistry is headed towards a zero sum race to the bottom.
There really are too many dentists. Straight up - the field is headed the way of pharmacy. Dental chains are buying out every retiring dentist, and squeezing out completion. On the surface - you’re like “oh - well the ADA says that we’re facing a shortage of dentists! They NEED me!” No. Stop. If you actually think this, go back and apply to medical school, where residency spots are tied to funding, and can’t be multiplied 2x at a whim. I have friends who graduated in my class who are still stuck with 90k associating gigs.​


I firmly believe that the issue is mainly because 1) Too many grads with too many loans are flooding the marketplace, and more importantly - 2) Older dentists ARE NOT RETIRING. This is HUGE. If you go back to 2001-2002, people were saying that dentistry would be facing a shortage, that there wouldn’t be enough docs to make sure little Timmy’s tooth decay wouldn’t go unchecked.​

The reason why dentistry has been so hot recently? Well, articles like this: http://money.usnews.com/money/careers/slideshows/the-25-best-jobs-of-2015/2 and others in Business Insider, CNN, etc. I feel, are pushing a lot of people into the field who ordinarily wouldn’t have bothered looking at it.​

The numbers of dentists needed today per 100,000 people are less than what was needed two decades ago. Dentists today are more efficient, have broader training, and are capable of doing more (no more referring everything out - new docs are now doing extractions, Invisalign, you name it). But older docs aren’t retiring. What happens is a “semi-retirement” where the doc comes in 1 day a week, still owns the office, etc, and the poor associate is only making ~90k a year (60k after taxes, and 30k after repaying loans. I’m not kidding). This all resulted in a huge increase in the # of dentists, especially after the financial crisis. According to a recent ADA survey - 1/3 of dentists AREN’T busy enough! This is huge! In addition, the number of dentists has continued to go up EACH year, after the ADA said there was a shortage back in ~2005

2) The debt isn’t quite worth it anymore. I graduated 5 years back, and I thought my debt was a lot. For everyone intending to go 300-500k in debt, you realize thats 30k+ in interest every year? Paying pack 4k a month out of every paycheck? For what its worth - you’re making ~90k when you start. The way the field is now, a GPR is basically essential. You realize you’re in school ONLY 2 years less than an EM physician? And they get paid ~330k when they start working. 2 extra years, and you quadruple your salary? I firmly believe anyone who is in dental school could easily have gone to med school, even if you need to do a postbacc - it’s within range. Strictly financially, Medicine has FAR more to offer.

3) You feel like a used car salesman with all the competition.

If you’re an introverted person, or are not comfortable “coaxing” people to accept procedures they might not otherwise, drop out of the field right now. This isn’t even corporate - its you trying to keep your office afloat/trying to pay your student loans. Yes, that patient 50/50 could have a crown or no, but if YOU don’t do it, another dentist down the street IS going to do it, and pocket the $2000 themselves.

Back in the day (think 80’s) if a tooth didn’t hurt/bug the patient, the dentist left it alone. Nowadays, with every one and their mom is trying to sell each patient a full mouth reconstruction (as well as offering massages and other bull**** remedies) is it no wonder people don’t take dentists seriously? No joke, the office down the street from me is a “Dental Spa” that offers a full range a skin rejuvenations, massages, and other girly/try-hard stuff I’ll have to ask my wife about because I don’t know what any of it is

4) Backbreaking work. No joke it’s only been five years, and my lower back is killing me very day. My hands hurt, and my shoulders feel like they're made of stone. Add in the fact I'm looking at mouths all day - the novelty has worn off.

5) The job itself leaves much to be desired. You clean/fix teeth. Thats it. You don’t do complex jaw surgeries (no, Mr. Oral Surgeon - you don’t. You pull 3rds all day in private practice pretending you're a doctor) and you definitely don’t do anything reconstructive asides from teeth. You’re a glorified tooth mechanic. Now don’t get me wrong - I love what I do - but there are other things that now, after several years of practice, I feel like I would also derive pleasure from doing.

6) Insurance companies will f****** gut you and leave you to die on the street. Reimbursements are going down . You might ask — “why does this affect me? I’m going to run a FFS practice!” It affects you because FFS is only viable in certain areas - Anywhere from 0% (lol you wish) to 80% of your payer mix will be PPO. Delta Dental is the bane of my existence and basically a monopoly in several places - they provide dental insurance coverage for 1/3 of the adults in the United States. This monopoly is FEDERALLY protected - meaning there’s no competition for dental benefits/price. The McCarran–Ferguson Act (http://healthcarereform.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001890) basically allows this. I can’t drop them because 40% of my patients have their insurance, and last year when they decided to cut fees in my area by 5%, I got screwed to the tune of 70-80k in lost income. This leads me to my next point…

7) Dentistry is influenced by market trends/the squeezing of the middle class. The middle class is getting squeezed. Now this definitely affects you, because 20+ years ago, many, many more jobs were unionized, more people had dental insurance, and more people took the time to see the dentist. Average family income (adjusted for inflation) hasn’t risen in a decade! Things like raising the minimum wage, for example, will actually HELP dentists because it makes the average person more likely to afford/see a dentist. But the way it is now, the average family is poorer than they were 10 years ago, and this translates to less than 50% of us adults actually having dental insurance and an even smaller amount using it.

8) Other minor things - such as running an office, insurance write-offs, dealing with people in general, and lack of respect among EVERYONE (the latter being a pretty small issue, as least for me - but I know how neurotic everyone is on SDN, so this might be something to keep in mind)​



Now - all this might seems sort of convoluted. I’m typing this right now after a particularly frustering day at my office. I can see how this profession might have worked a decade or two ago. But I swear to god - I’m not sure if the next 10 years are going to be very much fun for anyone. I have zero bargaining power with insurance companies. Incomes have stagnated - and as a new dentist, you can expect maybe 90k-120k or so - and you’ll be stuck at that level for 2-5+ years. The real kicker is the saturation though. All the rest, most people can deal with. But when 4+ offices go bankrupt in my suburb every year - I’m starting to realize that the field is cracking. Incomes are slowly decreasing - I expect within 5 years or so average starting salary for an associate will be in the 80-100k range (it already is in a lot of places)



For all the people who think I’m some sort of SDN troll - heres a QA section for ya:

Q. You sound mad - well, I’ll have you know- I’m going to be a super dentist! I’ll be the one to buck trends and pay off my 400k loans in 5 years! Just watch me!

A. Ok, Jimmy, good luck. With 400k in loans, no bank is going to loan you money to even purchase a practice. You’ll be making 90k for the next 7 years. You can moonlight as a doctor while in residency and make more than that



Q. Why did you even go into Dentistry if you hate it?

A. I still like dentistry - it’s just that the field is dying, or at least, headed towards a huge “market correction” and I can see it clearly from my vantage point. I feel like a pharmacist circa 2000 making 120k, and life was good. Fast forward 10 years…


Q. Where are you pulling that figure from - 90k as a starting salary of a dentist? Every survey I see says 140k.

A. Those salary surveys are compounded over years and years - meaning they still have data from 2005 when associates used to be paid $500+ a day and 35%+ of production. That doesn’t exist anymore. Today, you can expect to make 90k to 120k if you want to live anywhere within 100 miles of a major city. And if you say that you won’t - you’re lying. This is EVERYONE. Don’t lie to yourself and say you want to live in an oilfield in North Dakota. You guys are what - 19-20 years old in the forum? Do you guys understand that at 27/28/29, when you graduate/finish your residency, you’ll be thinking of getting married. Getting settled down, having a wife and kids - and trust me, your wife won’t want to wake up and chase moose off your property.


Q. Where do you see dentistry in 10 years?

A. At the same level as pharmacists, job opportunity wise. Salaries will continue to drop, and the dentist/population ratio will skyrocket leading to declining income (Hell, my income dropped ~30k as an owner the past two years.) If there isn’t a dentist in every Walmart by then, well color me surprised (KIDDING - most will probably be in strip malls, to be honest). Loans will render most graduates unable to purchase practices because they’ll be owned by chains, and most dentists will just be employees making peanuts for their education (look at pharmacy - the other field that doesn't have mandatory residencies/where it's easy to open up a school)


Q. You mentioned your brother was an EM physician. Is how does he view things in the healthcare field right now?

A. First and foremost, I should state my brother doesn't give a f*** about dentists. As in - while Dentists (even the predents in this forum) have this insecurity complex about not being "real doctors", the number of times "dentist" crosses my brothers mind is laughably small. When was the last time you thought about an optometrist? When you needed new glasses 3 years back, otherwise you forget they exist. Thats how 90% of people view dentists

Now for the meat. My brother makes (slightly adjusted) around 320k gross income right now. His first contract out of fellowship was for around 275k. I make around 160k as an owner. 2 years back, I was at 190k, but Delta Dental decided to cut my reimbursement, and now I'm working twice as hard to woo patients to get their teeth taken care of so they don't show up in front of my brother in the ER because of an abscess. I don't give massages or have a spa at my practice, so another few points docked for me.

Physicians like to moan and groan about how the government is out to get them, their pay will be docked, etc. But the fact is - it's not going to happen - at least anytime. The AMA is extremely powerful, and there are well over 1 million physicians in the United States. Supply and Demand doesn't even play a role, because the number of residency spots is governed by government funding levels (which hasn't risen in a decade), and thanks to political gridlock, probably wont rise for the 20 years.

Dentists - all you need is a new school, and suddenly over a 10 year period, you have 1500 new dentists in one geographical area.... all trying to sell you a massage along with your prophy...



My final word to you all? Do anything else. Trust me. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Signed,

-A Current Dentist

PS. I'm posting this here because I realize many of you are too young and don't/are unable to frequent DentalTown. I'm simply keeping guys in the loop. I would have appreciated it if someone did for me back in the day when I was applying - I'm just passing it forward.

This is a great post.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Undeserved areas where people have money to go to the dentist are lucrative places to practice. Not rural Mississippi or West Virginia, or reservations, or just poor rural areas in general. Nobody wants to practice where people can't afford to go to the dentist.
Solid point. I stand corrected.
I know most states provide financial incentive to serve in some of the designated underserved areas (not so much Alabama). Other states are rather generous.
http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/A...ADEA-Summary-of-Loan-Forgiveness-Programs.pdf

I do see your point though.
 
So the moral of the story is: dentistry is a job like any other insofar as there will always be pros and cons and if you pay $450k to do this job you better have a solid financial plan.
 
That was a very long post. Thank you for your input. Are you still happy you are a dentist though? I am sure you can make a list like this for almost any profession.

Its just a job for me. I look forward to the day when my loans are paid off so that I can practice dentistry the way that I want to. Have my own practice and only see the patients that I want to and to perform the procedures that I like. However, to get to that point, money can't be your main objective. Right now money is what motivates me to work. Pay off the loans. Once the loans are paid off, I will happily make less money to practice the way I want to.
 
If you could do it all over again knowing what you know now, would you still go to dental school? If so, would you try to specialize?

Nope. Maybe that will change one day. Specializing is too limiting for me. One aspect of dentistry that I do like is the variety of procedures. Would strongly dislike doing rct all day long, pedo all day long, ortho all day long.....

The worst part about being a specialist is pandering to GPs. You have to pander to them to get referrals....if you mess up once those referrals are in jeopardy. And then you have to clean up their mistakes.
 
Nope. Maybe that will change one day. Specializing is too limiting for me. One aspect of dentistry that I do like is the variety of procedures. Would strongly dislike doing rct all day long, pedo all day long, ortho all day long.....

The worst part about being a specialist is pandering to GPs. You have to pander to them to get referrals....if you mess up once those referrals are in jeopardy. And then you have to clean up their mistakes.

Well what then would you have chosen instead of dentistry and do you really believe that it would give you a better lifestyle than you have now?

Honestly interested, not trolling you
 
I though I was an altruistic person, but look at all the humble servants of God we have on here 😵

If you can go to a dental school for 250k, then it's a no-brainer. The issue is with schools that cost 400k (but in reality more, due to interest), where you might very well struggle to just pay off interest on that loan.

Lol dude 250k is still a lot... I wouldn't say it's an easy decision to make..
 
Dentistry : Individual results may vary.

Can this thread die now?
Yeah. The seed of all this disagreement is that the OP has some good points that are universal, unfortunately mixed in with a dash of hopelessness from a bad day at a practice in a bad area. Honestly, I'm most worried about OP's description of his physical health---dentists have pain (actually two of the ones I shadowed claimed having never had issues) but few describe it as horrifically as OP. He needs to look into whatever empirical/holistic options he can find.

I think one of the biggest delusions on SDN is how quickly we think we can pay debt off. Also, my least favorite part of the future picture is that you will have to increasingly be a salesman to 1) get patients 2) have them purchase procedures and 3) feel good about those procedures and come back. But as far as the future... well the future depends on future events. Dentistry is definitely on a path towards being more saturated, but the huge expense of starting/operating a dental school has so far kept it from being exactly like pharmacy or law. Also, nobody can predict what will happen with the middle class any more than we predicted the housing crisis, gas prices, etc. And advancing technology, as much as we think of it as degrading the need for trained professionals (e.g. orthodontists), is a blade that cuts both ways: osseointegration opened up huge opportunities with implants. Who knows what else will change over the next 40 years. And midlevels will on one hand crowd the drilling/filling market but also create opportunities for dentists who are willing to supervise them within their practice.

This nonsense about emergency medicine... EM is great for some and not for others. It's seductive because it has the inverse problems that dentistry does---you don't have to worry about being a salesman, managing an office, finding work, paying off loans, neck and back troubles, etc. But if you're up at 3am diagnosing yet another stomach virus, then the EM doc is going to have his how 'grass is greener' thoughts, especially towards those working 8am-4pm without fear of their patients croaking or the need to spend their off days realigning their sleep schedule to their spouse.

The last lesson I gather from OP's post stems from the EM-brother jealousy thing combined with OP's unprovoked mocking of oral surgeons and his claim that "EVERYONE" does not respect him. Status is important, but don't expect your profession to automatically supply you with a sense of status or respect that you thought you lacked before. My dad's an orthopedic---I already know how thin that spreads.
 
Well what then would you have chosen instead of dentistry and do you really believe that it would give you a better lifestyle than you have now?

Honestly interested, not trolling you

I don't have an answer. Not sure what I would have done.

I went into dental for the lifestyle. I wanted to only work 32 hours a week and still make 6 figs. I'm happy with the lifestyle....just not the job. One of the greatest aspects of dentistry is that it is very flexible. You can work 7 days a week and make a significant amount of money. You can work 3 days a week and still make 100k+.

I think once my loans are paid off I will probably work just three days a week. I think that with four days off in a row I would be able to handle the job better.
 
I agree, with Dr. Tiffany. I was reading some other posts of dentists that have tackled their loans head-on. It is possible to make the income and pay off the loans, you have to be in the right locations. I think all the fields including medicine, dentistry, and law are changing and with that, you have to evolve with that. If you are flexible, you can make it work. Dentistry is still a decent profession that at the end of the day, you can do the lifestyle that you want. Doctors want to be dentists. Dentists want to be Doctors, and Lawyers want to be..._____ Fill in the blank. The grass is always greener.
These are simply my opinions.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't have an answer. Not sure what I would have done.

I went into dental for the lifestyle. I wanted to only work 32 hours a week and still make 6 figs. I'm happy with the lifestyle....just not the job. One of the greatest aspects of dentistry is that it is very flexible. You can work 7 days a week and make a significant amount of money. You can work 3 days a week and still make 100k+.

I think once my loans are paid off I will probably work just three days a week. I think that with four days off in a row I would be able to handle the job better.
It's amazing that this is even a possibility. For the majority (outside dentistry) it is not.

Now about them loans... wait wrong thread.
 
Just out of curiosity, why did you say "400 pound African American man" instead of "400 pound man?"
From what I've heard, these sorts of identifications are pretty standard when discussing clinical cases due to underlying health factors that are commonly associated with certain races, ethnicities, etc. Don't think it was at all meant to be inflammatory, simply second nature at this point.
 
I'm just rolling my eyes on this whole post. You can tell us 1 million times about how bad things are. Guess who is still going to be apply this may ...me and all the rest of us. We worked hard to enter into this profession. EVERY forum is saying the same thing we are. Just take a peek for yourselves. Times are hard right now period. The best thing we can do is graduate and figure out how to pay these loans back asap. It's still one heck of a career opportunity.
 
Undeserved areas where people have money to go to the dentist are lucrative places to practice. Not rural Mississippi or West Virginia, or reservations, or just poor rural areas in general. Nobody wants to practice where people can't afford to go to the dentist.
They can, they just do not want to spend money on their teeth
 
So - I'd like to begin by first saying that this is a throwaway, because I don't really feel like having any of you discover who I am - (never underestimate the power of the internet. Dentistry is a very “front” facing profession. Your mug will be plastered on the website of whatever office you decide to work at.) Because of this, I will try to keep personal details to a min.

What has compelled me to go back to SDN, and write what appears to be a memoir? I’m fed up with the field, and everything it stands for. My brother is EM physician (just finished his residency a few years back), and I am pretty sure I'm able to see both sides.

So, young‘uns - 1st - SDN has a reputation for being all doom and gloom. A “sky is falling mentality” I guess. Can’t say I chuckled when I first started going through threads several years back during dental school. But now as a graduate, and practicing dentist… its funny how things work out. The field is saturated, and due to market forces we, as dentists can’t really control, it is definitely headed in a downwards trajectory. Don’t say I didn’t warn you guys.

I graduated roughly 5 years ago. I came out with several hundred thousand dollars of debt. I didn’t think too much about paying them off - I figured I’d just start associating and the rest would take care of itself.

I’m making good progress on it - but my issues with dentistry lie not so much with the debt (although thats a huge part - especially nowadays. Other people have covered this - so I’m not going to delve into it too much), but other issues with the field most people wouldn’t think about if they were applying today.

1) SATURATION. I kid you not - Dentistry is headed towards a zero sum race to the bottom.
There really are too many dentists. Straight up - the field is headed the way of pharmacy. Dental chains are buying out every retiring dentist, and squeezing out completion. On the surface - you’re like “oh - well the ADA says that we’re facing a shortage of dentists! They NEED me!” No. Stop. If you actually think this, go back and apply to medical school, where residency spots are tied to funding, and can’t be multiplied 2x at a whim. I have friends who graduated in my class who are still stuck with 90k associating gigs.​


I firmly believe that the issue is mainly because 1) Too many grads with too many loans are flooding the marketplace, and more importantly - 2) Older dentists ARE NOT RETIRING. This is HUGE. If you go back to 2001-2002, people were saying that dentistry would be facing a shortage, that there wouldn’t be enough docs to make sure little Timmy’s tooth decay wouldn’t go unchecked.​

The reason why dentistry has been so hot recently? Well, articles like this: http://money.usnews.com/money/careers/slideshows/the-25-best-jobs-of-2015/2 and others in Business Insider, CNN, etc. I feel, are pushing a lot of people into the field who ordinarily wouldn’t have bothered looking at it.​

The numbers of dentists needed today per 100,000 people are less than what was needed two decades ago. Dentists today are more efficient, have broader training, and are capable of doing more (no more referring everything out - new docs are now doing extractions, Invisalign, you name it). But older docs aren’t retiring. What happens is a “semi-retirement” where the doc comes in 1 day a week, still owns the office, etc, and the poor associate is only making ~90k a year (60k after taxes, and 30k after repaying loans. I’m not kidding). This all resulted in a huge increase in the # of dentists, especially after the financial crisis. According to a recent ADA survey - 1/3 of dentists AREN’T busy enough! This is huge! In addition, the number of dentists has continued to go up EACH year, after the ADA said there was a shortage back in ~2005

2) The debt isn’t quite worth it anymore. I graduated 5 years back, and I thought my debt was a lot. For everyone intending to go 300-500k in debt, you realize thats 30k+ in interest every year? Paying pack 4k a month out of every paycheck? For what its worth - you’re making ~90k when you start. The way the field is now, a GPR is basically essential. You realize you’re in school ONLY 2 years less than an EM physician? And they get paid ~330k when they start working. 2 extra years, and you quadruple your salary? I firmly believe anyone who is in dental school could easily have gone to med school, even if you need to do a postbacc - it’s within range. Strictly financially, Medicine has FAR more to offer.

3) You feel like a used car salesman with all the competition.

If you’re an introverted person, or are not comfortable “coaxing” people to accept procedures they might not otherwise, drop out of the field right now. This isn’t even corporate - its you trying to keep your office afloat/trying to pay your student loans. Yes, that patient 50/50 could have a crown or no, but if YOU don’t do it, another dentist down the street IS going to do it, and pocket the $2000 themselves.

Back in the day (think 80’s) if a tooth didn’t hurt/bug the patient, the dentist left it alone. Nowadays, with every one and their mom is trying to sell each patient a full mouth reconstruction (as well as offering massages and other bull**** remedies) is it no wonder people don’t take dentists seriously? No joke, the office down the street from me is a “Dental Spa” that offers a full range a skin rejuvenations, massages, and other girly/try-hard stuff I’ll have to ask my wife about because I don’t know what any of it is

4) Backbreaking work. No joke it’s only been five years, and my lower back is killing me very day. My hands hurt, and my shoulders feel like they're made of stone. Add in the fact I'm looking at mouths all day - the novelty has worn off.

5) The job itself leaves much to be desired. You clean/fix teeth. Thats it. You don’t do complex jaw surgeries (no, Mr. Oral Surgeon - you don’t. You pull 3rds all day in private practice pretending you're a doctor) and you definitely don’t do anything reconstructive asides from teeth. You’re a glorified tooth mechanic. Now don’t get me wrong - I love what I do - but there are other things that now, after several years of practice, I feel like I would also derive pleasure from doing.

6) Insurance companies will f****** gut you and leave you to die on the street. Reimbursements are going down . You might ask — “why does this affect me? I’m going to run a FFS practice!” It affects you because FFS is only viable in certain areas - Anywhere from 0% (lol you wish) to 80% of your payer mix will be PPO. Delta Dental is the bane of my existence and basically a monopoly in several places - they provide dental insurance coverage for 1/3 of the adults in the United States. This monopoly is FEDERALLY protected - meaning there’s no competition for dental benefits/price. The McCarran–Ferguson Act (http://healthcarereform.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001890) basically allows this. I can’t drop them because 40% of my patients have their insurance, and last year when they decided to cut fees in my area by 5%, I got screwed to the tune of 70-80k in lost income. This leads me to my next point…

7) Dentistry is influenced by market trends/the squeezing of the middle class. The middle class is getting squeezed. Now this definitely affects you, because 20+ years ago, many, many more jobs were unionized, more people had dental insurance, and more people took the time to see the dentist. Average family income (adjusted for inflation) hasn’t risen in a decade! Things like raising the minimum wage, for example, will actually HELP dentists because it makes the average person more likely to afford/see a dentist. But the way it is now, the average family is poorer than they were 10 years ago, and this translates to less than 50% of us adults actually having dental insurance and an even smaller amount using it.

8) Other minor things - such as running an office, insurance write-offs, dealing with people in general, and lack of respect among EVERYONE (the latter being a pretty small issue, as least for me - but I know how neurotic everyone is on SDN, so this might be something to keep in mind)​



Now - all this might seems sort of convoluted. I’m typing this right now after a particularly frustering day at my office. I can see how this profession might have worked a decade or two ago. But I swear to god - I’m not sure if the next 10 years are going to be very much fun for anyone. I have zero bargaining power with insurance companies. Incomes have stagnated - and as a new dentist, you can expect maybe 90k-120k or so - and you’ll be stuck at that level for 2-5+ years. The real kicker is the saturation though. All the rest, most people can deal with. But when 4+ offices go bankrupt in my suburb every year - I’m starting to realize that the field is cracking. Incomes are slowly decreasing - I expect within 5 years or so average starting salary for an associate will be in the 80-100k range (it already is in a lot of places)



For all the people who think I’m some sort of SDN troll - heres a QA section for ya:

Q. You sound mad - well, I’ll have you know- I’m going to be a super dentist! I’ll be the one to buck trends and pay off my 400k loans in 5 years! Just watch me!

A. Ok, Jimmy, good luck. With 400k in loans, no bank is going to loan you money to even purchase a practice. You’ll be making 90k for the next 7 years. You can moonlight as a doctor while in residency and make more than that



Q. Why did you even go into Dentistry if you hate it?

A. I still like dentistry - it’s just that the field is dying, or at least, headed towards a huge “market correction” and I can see it clearly from my vantage point. I feel like a pharmacist circa 2000 making 120k, and life was good. Fast forward 10 years…


Q. Where are you pulling that figure from - 90k as a starting salary of a dentist? Every survey I see says 140k.

A. Those salary surveys are compounded over years and years - meaning they still have data from 2005 when associates used to be paid $500+ a day and 35%+ of production. That doesn’t exist anymore. Today, you can expect to make 90k to 120k if you want to live anywhere within 100 miles of a major city. And if you say that you won’t - you’re lying. This is EVERYONE. Don’t lie to yourself and say you want to live in an oilfield in North Dakota. You guys are what - 19-20 years old in the forum? Do you guys understand that at 27/28/29, when you graduate/finish your residency, you’ll be thinking of getting married. Getting settled down, having a wife and kids - and trust me, your wife won’t want to wake up and chase moose off your property.


Q. Where do you see dentistry in 10 years?

A. At the same level as pharmacists, job opportunity wise. Salaries will continue to drop, and the dentist/population ratio will skyrocket leading to declining income (Hell, my income dropped ~30k as an owner the past two years.) If there isn’t a dentist in every Walmart by then, well color me surprised (KIDDING - most will probably be in strip malls, to be honest). Loans will render most graduates unable to purchase practices because they’ll be owned by chains, and most dentists will just be employees making peanuts for their education (look at pharmacy - the other field that doesn't have mandatory residencies/where it's easy to open up a school)


Q. You mentioned your brother was an EM physician. Is how does he view things in the healthcare field right now?

A. First and foremost, I should state my brother doesn't give a f*** about dentists. As in - while Dentists (even the predents in this forum) have this insecurity complex about not being "real doctors", the number of times "dentist" crosses my brothers mind is laughably small. When was the last time you thought about an optometrist? When you needed new glasses 3 years back, otherwise you forget they exist. Thats how 90% of people view dentists

Now for the meat. My brother makes (slightly adjusted) around 320k gross income right now. His first contract out of fellowship was for around 275k. I make around 160k as an owner. 2 years back, I was at 190k, but Delta Dental decided to cut my reimbursement, and now I'm working twice as hard to woo patients to get their teeth taken care of so they don't show up in front of my brother in the ER because of an abscess. I don't give massages or have a spa at my practice, so another few points docked for me.

Physicians like to moan and groan about how the government is out to get them, their pay will be docked, etc. But the fact is - it's not going to happen - at least anytime. The AMA is extremely powerful, and there are well over 1 million physicians in the United States. Supply and Demand doesn't even play a role, because the number of residency spots is governed by government funding levels (which hasn't risen in a decade), and thanks to political gridlock, probably wont rise for the 20 years.

Dentists - all you need is a new school, and suddenly over a 10 year period, you have 1500 new dentists in one geographical area.... all trying to sell you a massage along with your prophy...



My final word to you all? Do anything else. Trust me. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Signed,

-A Current Dentist

PS. I'm posting this here because I realize many of you are too young and don't/are unable to frequent DentalTown. I'm simply keeping guys in the loop. I would have appreciated it if someone did for me back in the day when I was applying - I'm just passing it forward.

This is a really good post. I will only respond to a portion of it because I have to get ready to leave in 10 minutes to make it to my massage appointment. The back and neck pain is real!
I'm really sorry you are fed up with this profession and I hope you can quickly find another one. Dentistry has its downs but no one should be in a job they hate so much. It's not good for you, for your family or your patients.
I think there are a lot of dentists but it depends where you are... in my city in the midwest I am doing well. I am booked out several weeks and honestly that is good and bad. Good because I'm extremely busy but bad because I can't get an emergency in. But yes you do have to try to get patients.. they don't just show up. I wish they did.
I'm not really sure why your friends work for the chains. More dentists need to not take those jobs and the chains wouldnt do as well.
I graduated and started at 140K doing 2.5 days in private practice. I then started working for a hospital and was making 200K. I know own my own office and make 360K on 3.5 days. My husband also a GP works 3.5 days and makes 500K.
I think the interest rates are ridiculous but that goes back to our government. Guys- think about who you are going to vote for next year! I wish I didnt pay 2K/month on loans but it is what it is...
If I remember I'll continue later...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a really good post. I will only respond to a portion of it because I have to get ready to leave in 10 minutes to make it to my massage appointment. The back and neck pain is real!
I'm really sorry you are fed up with this profession and I hope you can quickly find another one. Dentistry has its downs but no one should be in a job they hate so much. It's not good for you, for your family or your patients.
I think there are a lot of dentists but it depends where you are... in my city in the midwest I am doing well. I am booked out several weeks and honestly that is good and bad. Good because I'm extremely busy but bad because I can't get an emergency in. But yes you do have to try to get patients.. they don't just show up. I wish they did.
I'm not really sure why your friends work for the chains. More dentists need to not take those jobs and the chains wouldnt do as well.
I graduated and started at 140K doing 2.5 days in private practice. I then started working for a hospital and was making 200K. I know own my own office and make 360K on 3.5 days. My husband also a GP works 3.5 days and makes 500K.
I think the interest rates are ridiculous but that goes back to our government. Guys- think about who you are going to vote for next year! I wish I didnt pay 2K/month on loans but it is what it is...
If I remember I'll continue later...
You started at 140k working 2.5 days as a new grad? Family friend? Extremely rural? This just seems crazy to me otherwise. Or maybe the recent happenings on here have made me really pessimistic about new grad/associate salaries.
 
This is a really good post. I will only respond to a portion of it because I have to get ready to leave in 10 minutes to make it to my massage appointment. The back and neck pain is real!
I'm really sorry you are fed up with this profession and I hope you can quickly find another one. Dentistry has its downs but no one should be in a job they hate so much. It's not good for you, for your family or your patients.
I think there are a lot of dentists but it depends where you are... in my city in the midwest I am doing well. I am booked out several weeks and honestly that is good and bad. Good because I'm extremely busy but bad because I can't get an emergency in. But yes you do have to try to get patients.. they don't just show up. I wish they did.
I'm not really sure why your friends work for the chains. More dentists need to not take those jobs and the chains wouldnt do as well.
I graduated and started at 140K doing 2.5 days in private practice. I then started working for a hospital and was making 200K. I know own my own office and make 360K on 3.5 days. My husband also a GP works 3.5 days and makes 500K.
I think the interest rates are ridiculous but that goes back to our government. Guys- think about who you are going to vote for next year! I wish I didnt pay 2K/month on loans but it is what it is...
If I remember I'll continue later...

Holy Moley what do you guys do with your 860k and your combined 156 work days off a year?!? Have you guys started to play around with real estate yet?
 
I agreed with the OP a few days ago and I feel it's worth an explanation.

This profession is extremely dependent on location. It is pretty great if you are willing to live in the more "boring" locales. The competition is low and the cost of living is cheap. Insurance is avoidable. You are one of the wealthy guys in town. But if you are intent on practicing in any "sexy" area such as Coastal Cal, NYC, Miami, NoVA, Chicago; basically all the nice Metro or vacation type areas, it is as the OP describes. Competition is fierce, insurance dominates, cost of living is high. Lots of sleaziness and unethical practices.

As a GP you really need to be an owner to thrive. So if you are a practice owner in a "boring" area, you can have a lot of success. Like the guy in the "5 years out" thread. Pretty typical to be making $2-300k as an owner in those areas.

If you are an associate in a "sexy" location, it is a grind. Here in Socal you will probably make $5-600/day and there will be pressure to do unethical treatment. It's not fun. That's just the reality. And that may sound like a lot of money, but here in SoCal it doesn't get you very far.

So you need to figure out where you want to live and how you want to practice. If you're cool with living somewhere like Shreveport, LA or Lubbock, TX (random choices off a map), and quickly transition to ownership, you will probably do fantastic. But if you highly value living in the popular metro areas, the OP's description is pretty accurate. And if you have massive student loans, it's a bleak situation.

A couple other points. I'm 4 years out and have chronic back pain. It sucks and is not something I considered as a pre-dent. Also pay has decreased since I first became interested in dentistry 10 years ago. And there's like 10 new dental schools and the rest are adding seats with no end in sight.

If you want to punch the clock as an employee in SoCal, forget dentistry. It's too sleazy and the pay is not that great. Corporate dentistry in California is a nightmare. And $160k as an owner doesn't go very far when houses start at $500k, taxes are high, and you have to fund your own retirement.

I like to surf so I'm stuck in CA. I'm not too worried about it because I'm not chasing money and I don't have student loans. I just don't like all the crap I see with this profession, and it's mostly related to the saturation issue. I also do think Medicine has far better prospects, at least here in CA. Good luck.